Your Word

Something is You (Revamped)

֎֎֎֎֎

Jongin was sweating when he awoke. Lifting his head up he realized he was covered in twice the amount of blanket he first had when going to sleep. Adjusting his eyes to the dark he peered over to find Namjoo curled up without the blanket. Feeling impish for tugging the blanket from her he leaned over to adjust it over her. Stirring at his movement Namjoo awoke to stare up at him. Their eyes caught before he moved back embarrassed.

“Sorry,” he apologized swallowing as Namjoo turned her back to him and moved somewhat away.

Flopping onto his back he stared up at the ceiling. He managed to fall asleep before waking up to the cold. Discovering this time that Namjoo had tugged the blanket away from him. Leaving only partially a part of his leg under the blanket. Too tired to fight the blanket back he curled up and closed his eyes. When he awoke again Namjoo was gone and he was still uncovered.

Sliding his face into the burl of the blanket he closed his eyes. He had been drawn back that they were sleeping together again. The first night at her house he had been nervous. The fact that he’d had to wear her father’s clothes to sleep had weighed over the embarrassment, so it hadn’t been so bad. Last night he couldn’t prompt her to laugh because his mother was right outside.

Lacking a distraction, he had spent the minutes smelling the fragrance of her shampoo. Imagining her silhouette right next to his. He didn’t know what to think about it. Sharing a bed with her. Not enough things had happened for him to complain.

Becoming drowsy his eyes closed and he dozed off. Jongin jerked awake when his mother screeched from the doorway, “Jongin! Get up! How old are you that I still need to wake you?!”

Lifting his head up from the blanket he saw his mother with hands on her hips at the foot of his door. Groaning he pushed himself up. As he headed toward the bathroom he caught Namjoo staring at him bemused, an eyebrow cocked up. He couldn’t help but think that she had intended for this.

Namjoo was already halfway through her meal when he joined them at the table.

“Look at you,” his mother chided from where she was at the stove. “Already exhausted at this age. I’ll buy you some eels, so liven up.”

Jongin almost dropped the spoon in his hand. His eyes first landed on Namjoo before he looked at his mother with cheeks growing hot. “I’m fine, mom.”

“Are you aware of how weak you look these days?” She turned around to point at him before placing her hand on her hip again. “If you can’t even wake up in the mornings that means you’re lacking something.”

He grew hotter. More embarrassed he was being told this in front of Namjoo. He struggled not to look at her, because if she was trying not to burst out laughing then his shame would increase threefold.

“I’m finished. I’ll get ready first,” Namjoo excused herself. Jongin imagined she needed to laugh in the private of his bedroom.

“Good girl. Leave the dishes in the sink. I will take care of them,” his mother softened her tone.

Jongin watched Namjoo walk by before turning on his mother, “Did you really have to say that in front of her?”

“What?” His mother innocently asked.

“I know you enjoy embarrassing me, but please,” he begged.

She laughed, “Oh, what is the big deal? It’s not as if she doesn’t know how strong you are.”

His face reddened even more and he wish he was still in bed, so he could hide under the blanket. “Mom! Can you not go there?”

“I’m sure she doesn’t mind the talk.” She the sink and soaped up a sponge.

“Yea, she’s probably having the time of her life laughing at me,” Jongin let his eyes fall flat on his mother’s back.

“Look at you,” she peered over her shoulder at him. “When it comes to love there’s nothing to be embarrassed about.”

Deciding not to say any more he jammed a spoonful of food into his mouth. He and Namjoo weren’t even close yet. This talk would just ruin the way she saw him. He was too embarrassed to look her in the face.

Right after they finished washing the rest of the dishes together his mother wanted to leave without being sent off. Unable to let her have her way Jongin made her wait as he scurried toward the bedroom to change. As he burst in through the door Namjoo swerved around to look at him. Still in the process of tucking in her shirt into her pencil skirt.

“Oh! Sorry.” Spinning around he apologized. “I’ll go back out.”

He heard her zip up her skirt. “It’s fine. I’m done.”

He hesitated before turning around to see her grabbing her blazer off the bed. “I’m going to send my mom home, so I’ll be leaving first. And, I’ll bring lunch today.”

Namjoo paused on her way out the door. “Ok.”

Jongin turned to the door closing and bit his lower lip. Relieved that he’d managed to maintain his cool even after all his mother had said in front of her.

֎֎֎֎֎

Namjoo allowed herself to laugh as loudly as she could on the way to work. Jongin weak. She would have never imagined. The things his mom could say about him surprised her. It had been a good morning indeed.

The first half of the morning was spent at a conference briefing. They were finalizing the makeup lines that were sponsoring the upcoming fashion show. It was just a month away. The boss wanted inventory rechecked and restocked for the orders that would fly in after the show. Namjoo was assigned to monitor online sales in the meantime and develop a promotional ad for the makeup that weren’t receiving enough sales.

The group broke up for lunch. The most rewarding news was that the models’ stylists had received their end of the designated makeup. That meant Mina would no longer need to come to the company, but the damage she had done to Namjoo couldn’t be amended. Too late for that she thought but good riddance.

Namjoo pulled her phone out of her pocket when she stepped out of the elevator onto her floor. Wondering if Jongin had called or sent her a text that he was here. He’d said he would bring lunch, but he hadn’t said what he was getting her. She didn’t mind him coming, especially if lunch was on him.

There was nothing from him. Maybe she should go wait in the yard for him. She had a feeling he would know to find her there. Heading outside Namjoo walked around. Snapping a picture of the sunlight filtering through the tree leaves, a bird landing on the branch, and random pictures of the sky. Staring down at her phone she went through the pictures deleting and editing. So focused that she didn’t realize she was no longer alone.

“Namjoo.” The voice made her look up.

Namjoo about dropped everything she was holding when she saw Seojun looking at her. His mouth parted, his eyes forlorn. Staring at her as if they had missed each other for a year. Hesitatingly taking a step forward he reached a hand out to touch her but pulled back just as fast. Namjoo felt a pang in her chest. Suddenly welling up with anger and sorrow.

She had waited for him to call her!

She had waited!

And now he was here…when things were finally starting to fall in place.  

Drawing the phone in hand close to her chest Namjoo tried to regain self-control. She faltered. Her heart weakening, because for the first time in several weeks she was seeing him face to face again. She was urged to tell him she had secretly thought about him. Imaging the things she might say when and if he called, but he hadn’t and that had broken her. Nothing came out of .

“You should leave,” Namjoo turned away.

“I’m sorry.”

“Seojun, please. Go.”

“I’m sorry.” He took one step forward and another.

“Go,” her will grew weaker as she took one step back as he closed in.

“I missed you,” he confessed.

She wanted to say the same. He came close enough to hug her. The angel and devil on her shoulder agued. She shouldn’t. She wanted. This wasn’t right. But don’t you love him?

ing her hands out to grab his arms, she repeated, “We can’t, Seojun. It’s already over.”

The birds chattered before taking off when silence set in. Then his hands slid over hers and he gently pushed her back. Her legs gave way as she sat on the bench behind her. Her heart broke when he kneeled before her with his head hanging low.

“Please just listen to me,” he pleaded lifting his head up to look at her. Since he found out about her pregnancy she was finally seeing the man who sincerely loved her again. “I’m a bastard, but I love you. I love you so much.”

Gently gripping her hands, he buried his face into the warmth of her skin. Her eyes welled up with tears.

“I don’t want it to be anyone but you, Namjoo,” he shed a tear. “Can you forgive me and give me another chance? I promise you this time we’ll work it out. I’ll do anything you want. Just please don’t leave me behind.”

Pulling her hands away Namjoo watched him look at her hurt. She almost recoiled to hug him instead. Feeling guilty like she had slapped a child.

“I love you, too,” she cried. “I regret it, too. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for this to happen. Really. I wanted us to get married, too.” his head, she apologized not because he was angry and it was all she could say. She was truly sorry that she had done this to him. “I’m so sorry, Seojun.”

“No,” he shook his head. Grabbing her hand again he kissed her fingers. “No. Please, Namjoo. Come back to me. I’m sorry,” he sobbed, “I shouldn’t have hurt you.”

Gritting her teeth, Namjoo cried a little harder. Because she hadn’t been able to bade him a proper farewell. Tell him how much he had meant to her. How much she had looked forward to spending the rest of her life with him. That she should be the one on her knees. Apologizing for going off with another man and ending up with his child instead.

“I’m sorry,” she cried pulling him into her arms.

That she had been disloyal. No, he had all the right to break her heart because she had done it first. She had broken his heart without having said a thing. That what he was going through was all because of her. How foolish you are she wanted to tell him, I am not worth it.

They were over. They had been over for so long.

And she was finally closing the door.

֎֎֎֎֎

“And make sure you look after her well,” his mother advised as they started on the road. “A woman needs to gain good weight for her baby.”

“I hear you,” Jongin murmured.

“I’m being serious,” his mother said turning in her seat to look at him. “Plus, when are you getting married? You’re already having a child and living together. I still can’t believe you never said anything to me!”

“We said we’re going to worry about that later,” Jongin answered.

“You should have told me from the very beginning!” She scolded once more. “I made myself such a fool for acting like you two should be friends. Why did you act that way anyway?”

Jongin blinked as he turned the corner. He had no plan to tell his mother that he and Namjoo had just ended up being parents after a one-night stand.

“Don’t worry about it,” Jongin assured. “We have everything figured out.”

“Like hell you do!” She slapped his arm. “You aren’t even married yet! What am I going to do with you?”

“Ow!” He groaned and quickly rubbed his arm before replacing his hand on the wheel. “Didn’t I say we’re going to worry about it later?”

“Will she marry you?” His mother asked.

“What?”

“I said, are you sure she will marry you?” His mother repeated. “Who knows if she will change her mind later.”

“She won’t,” Jongin said.

“Are you sure?” Sinking back into the chair she said, “If she’s having your child, you stick with her for the rest of your life, do you hear? You make her go through all that you must make it up to her. It’s not easy giving birth.”

“I don’t need you to tell me the details,” Jongin mumbled.

“I mean it, Jongin. I am just worried,” she said. “If you don’t already have her hand now, how can you be sure that she will give you her hand when the baby comes? A woman who’s not satisfied with you can take off at any time. Besides, the baby isn’t here yet. Namjoo has no obligation to keep staying with you if you don’t make it formal.”

“We’ll get married later.” Jongin gave her his word. He couldn’t say he wouldn’t make Namjoo marry him now when they barely knew each other. That sounded impulsive just like Namjoo said. And he wanted to see where they would go in their relationship.

There was still plenty of time for things to develop between them. Attraction. Romance. Trust. He was open to all possibilities. He had nothing to lose. He would put his foot in and give it his all. Namjoo would have no choice but to acknowledge his efforts.

After dropping his mother off Jongin drove to work whistling to himself. Excited for lunch. Thinking about dinner.

He clocked out on time and headed toward a restaurant he’d found online. Jongin entered the brick building on the edge of town in a giddy mood. Skimming the lunch menu with utmost attention while waiting for his turn at the counter. The food was expensive but wasn’t pricey food more high quality?

“Hi, what can I get for you today?” The clerk asked when he stepped up. Jongin pointed to the menu specifying what he wanted and waited a good ten minutes for his food. Hurrying off the moment he received his order.

Namjoo would be glad. He could see the walloping smile on her face when he showed her what he had brought. She could keep the rest to snack when she felt hungry. Wasn’t it his duty to keep his baby well fed?

Jongin huffed when he stepped on the brake. Stuck in lunch traffic for a good three minutes. Arriving at Namjoo’s work place ten minutes later. He should have called her he chided himself. To let her know when he was coming in case she was already waiting too long.

Parking his car, he pulled out the takeout and hurried into the building. Entering the lobby with quick footsteps. Thinking about her office. Thinking about the yard she had taken him to previously. A smile crawled over his face recalling the last time they had sat outside to enjoy the afternoon air.

Fresh air was good for the lungs. Breezing past the receptionist, Jongin made his way down the hall. If Namjoo wasn’t there yet, he would call her. For now, he could be a surprise.

A smile curled across his lips. He made a turn and recognized the corridor they’d walked together. Wall sized windows on his right. An array of pictures on his left. Jongin gave the pieces a once over recognizing events and awards. A sharp ray of sunlight filtered through the windows splashing heat over his right. The bright hue of light staining the wall in yellow.

Then he turned to look outside. Expecting an empty garden. Half of him hoping to see Namjoo standing outside waiting.

The smile on his face disappeared one movement at a time.

֎֎֎֎֎

It was 5:00 in the evening. Jongin sat alone in his apartment waiting for the moment Namjoo would walk through the door.

After throwing out lunch he had sped back to work. Unable to call Namjoo. Leave a spiteful message that he had seen her or lie that he hadn’t made it at all.

He couldn’t.

He was angry. He was upset. He had no way of releasing his frustration. He wanted to scold her.

Isn’t it over yet? he wanted to ask. She had said it was finished. That was why she had stayed back in Daejeon. He had let her stay back in Daejeon for that reason alone. Maybe Namjoo didn’t even need to think things over at all.

Jongin could understand that Namjoo had been on the verge of marriage. It wasn’t something easily gotten over. She should be filled with regrets, but she had given him the word that it was over. He had trusted her. She had said they could have the baby together and figure out everything slowly.

Wasn’t that what they were doing? Figuring things out, getting to know each other, and letting things flow naturally? To see whether they could match their footsteps? Fall in love?

Staring angrily at the countertop he heard his mother’s words in his head again. What if his mother was right? What if he was thinking too lightly of their situation? Namjoo could pack up any time. She didn’t have a ring on her finger. Just a baby that wasn’t here yet.

Jongin grew uneasy.

Refusing to eat, he sat there waiting, watching the time tick. As the sky grew darker until eventually the door opened and Namjoo walked in. He didn’t want to think about where she had been, who she had spent the hours with.

He hadn’t eaten. He had showered, pulled a book out from his bookshelf. Had flipped through the pages because he hadn’t been able to read one single line. He couldn’t focus. All he thought about was Namjoo embracing Seojun who had been kneeling before her.

Had he begged for forgiveness?

Had she given it to him?

Were they back together?

Were they going to get married this time?

Snapping the book shut loudly enough to make Namjoo look at him he stood. Shooting her a sharp glare he sauntered off toward the bedroom. He wanted to make her uncomfortable. Make his silent statement that no, she could not leave with the baby.

Tonight, they were going to sleep on one bed again.


***I don't know why I delayed this chapter, but it's here. And so, the first round of misunderstanding begins