Cherry Dum-Dums | Dino

Seventeen: A Collection

DATE: 6.7.2018

WORD COUNT: 6,345

---

White washed walls, colorful with different pictures surrounded a roomful of tiny brown desks with Formica tops glimmering against the afternoon sun, the dusty, low blackboards. The west walls were lined with shelves after shelves of books and on the far corner were the shoe and coat rack. The back wall was bright, the upper half green with the leaves of  a huge tree painted some years ago, obscured by a couple dozen of smiling faces, some toothless yet bright as they could be. Up front, the continuous rustling of pen against paper could be heard as the teacher began her final notes on the day’s class. The distant ringing of the bell that signaled the dismissal of students filled the air along with excited movement and shrieks of children, celebrating the joy of the end of yet another long day of classes. The teacher, petite and bright-smiled, stood up and clapped her hands together. She began her usual speech every afternoon before telling the pupils to go home safely.

 

Three seats from the back of the third row was Lee Chan. He was always the last one out of the classroom, carefully packing his activity books and other school supplies. At the age of eight, he brought himself with a jolly demeanor, wide smiles that turned his eyes into crescents and a sense of responsibility that was of a person twice his age. He was a pale, bespectacled kid, a tad taller and leaner than most children his age with pronounced features.

 

He picked up the last item on the table – a pencil case- and shoved it inside his school bag with calculated precision and zipped the backpack close. He was known to be neat and he smiled at the rather sleek shape of his bag despite the number of items inside. He slung it on his back, tucked his chair under his table, carefully taking a swift glance underneath before turning away with a satisfied look about his face. He walked off, passing by the teacher’s table, smiling a bit with a curt bow before going out of the classroom.

He went out into the open grounds and stood by the side of the stairs at the front side of the building where he’d usually wait for his mother to fetch him. Unlike his other classmates, he didn’t live near the school and it takes a good forty minutes from his neighborhood to the school, thus the necessity of his mother fetching him from school. He sat down and waited for his mother to arrive, but she was running a tad later than usual. Those times were rare, but she’d take a few minutes longer to arrive whenever she was tardy and so he sat, patiently watching as the people filed out of the building until there were just a few students around.

 

At the corner of his eye, he saw a girl come out of the school building and sit at the spot right behind him as if she didn’t notice him there. Her face was flushed from her neck and tear-stained cheeks shone under the sun. He couldn’t see her face since the thick curtain of her hair was obscuring it and she was looking down, sobbing. Chan looked at her, tilting his head to the side out of curiosity. He caught sight of her green cravat, a tell-tale sign that she was at least a grade above him. Fourth grade. She didn’t seem like someone he knew, but she looked rather familiar.

 

He frowned, wondering why she was crying until finally, she brushed the hair from her face and tried to calm down. She rubbed her eyes and brought her hands down, trying to calm down although her breath would still catch as more tears fell from her eyes. Though she was in such a state, Chan found himself staring at the girl. Her eyes were huge, rimmed with thick lashes that glittered with tears and her dimples showed even as she cried, her lips pursed in a thin line. Her eyes were bright and he thought that they’d probably be even more beautiful if only she’d smile, but at that moment, her eyes were filled with resentment like skies filled with thick, dark clouds, a warning of impending rain which were her tears, fat drops of saline liquid staining her cheeks and her white skirt.

 

He looked at the girl closely, handing her his hanky as she lifted her head to look at the thing on his hand then he realized that he’d seen her before. She was the granddaughter of the sweet old lady who lived across the street from them, Mrs. Kim. Her parents moved along with her from Gangneung just a few weeks ago and Mrs. Kim had been telling him about her before. Apparently, her mother decided that they should live with her in Seoul after her father got promoted at work and relocated somewhere in Europe. The old lady said they should play together once her granddaughter has adjusted to the new environment and Chan surmised that she needed more than adjustments as he never really saw her leave her grandmother’s house. Sometimes, when he’d come home from the nearby ballpark, he’d see her playing with her toys on the lawn, or more like throwing them angrily against the grass. She was obviously upset about something else.

 

“Please don’t cry,” he murmured softly, mustering all the wits he could to face the rather irate little girl.

The girl looked at the white linen then shifted her gaze to him. She smiled through her tears and took the hanky, murmuring a shaky “Thank you.” She began wiping her tears away, but as soon as she does, more would fall.

 

“Why are you crying?” he asked.

 

She shrugged, putting down her lunchbox and her bag on the ground. She sat down. “I think you know why,” she answered in a clipped manner, but without any hint of annoyance or anger.

 

Chan’s eyes rounded. “We only met.”

 

“No,” she contradicted. “We’ve met before.” She looked down, wringing the hanky.

 

He placed a hand over the back of his neck and allowed an awkward smile. “I guess we did.” He sat down beside her. “You’re that noona that Halmeoni was talking about.”

 

She managed to smile a bit. “See?”

 

“So you don’t like it here?”

 

Her eyes brimmed with tears once more and she began weeping.

 

Panic rose from his guts when she started sobbing again. What was an eight-year-old to do? He felt the urge to move and make her smile. He took out the cherry Dum-Dum his mother gave him that morning before dropping him off to school and held it out in front of her. He wasn’t a fan of sweets and he didn’t understand why his mother still gave him lollipops and candies, but she’d always tell him to bring them in case he suddenly felt bad and she couldn’t be there for him. He thought it was childish, but he gave it a try anyway and presented her with the sweet stuff.

 

The girl looked at him.

 

He smiled with a hint of hopefulness, waving the lollipop in front of her. “My mom said you’d feel better if you eat this.”

 

At that, the girl suddenly put on a blank face, her tears drying up. She stared at him for a second and took the candy in her hand with a slight smile. “Thank you.”

 

“Why are you crying?” he asked again, the curiosity of a child, which he was, finally coming to the surface. “Don’t you like it here?”

 

She shook her head.

 

“Why not?”

 

She motioned to unwrap the lollipop, glancing at Chan who was eyeing her closely. “What about you?” she asked, showing him the lollipop.

 

He shook his head. “It’s yours. So…”

 

“My father’s leaving.”

 

“I heard.”

 

She smiled a bit as she the lollipop. “You know.”

 

“A bit.”

 

“What else do you know?” she asked after a moment of silence.

 

“Your mother is late, too?” he offered.

 

She laughed. “Too? So your mother is late?”

 

He smiled, at ease at last since she came out of the building. He nodded. “She’s not usually late, you know.”

 

“I see.” She continued eating her lollipop and smiled at him. “Your parents are busy, aren’t they?”

 

“Very busy, but so are yours.”

 

She shook her head. “It’s just my father. That’s why he’s leaving.”

 

“Oh. Sorry about that.”

 

Again, she bubbled with laughter. “Well, he has to, but I’ll miss him terribly.”

 

“When is he leaving?”

 

“He already left…I think.” Sadness crossed her eyes. “My mom’s late because she’ll be coming from the airport. She drove my dad to the airport.”

 

“Don’t be sad. He’ll be back before you know it and you can make new friends here.”

 

The topic didn’t seem appealing to her so she didn’t answer and just stayed quiet.

 

“By the way, I’m –”

 

“Chan,” she interrupted and extended her hand. “I’m Ji Hye. Jung Ji Hye.”

 

Chan smiled. “It’s nice to meet you, too.”

 

Just then, a black SUV stopped by the front of the gate and Ji Hye stood up. “My mother’s here,” she said, delight and sorrow mixing in her tone as she watched her mother come out of the car and walk towards them with a smile.

 

“Mom! Over here!” she called, waving her hand which held the lollipop.

 

Mrs. Jung came over and hugged her daughter. “You seem to be in high spirits now.”

 

Ji Hye just smiled. “Did you hug dad for me?”

 

The mother nodded, a hint of sadness crossing her eyes as well. “Of course, dear.” She looked at Chan then. “Well, hi there, Channie.”

 

He bowed slightly. “Hello, Mrs. Jung.”

 

“I see you’ve met my Ji Hye.”

 

The boy merely smiled.

 

“Your mother asked if I could pick you up, too,” Mrs. Jung said, much to his delight.

 

Ji Hye tugged at his arm before he could say anything and towed him with her to the car. Mrs. Jung began to drive and as the school disappeared behind them, Chan took Ji Hye’s hand and held it tight.

 

“I’ll be your friend, noona.”

 

***

“Why are you crying?” the little boy asked the girl as he held out a cherry Dum-Dum to her.

 

For some reason, the boy thought he’d been in that very situation, standing outside what he recognized to be his elementary school early in the afternoon. He frowned, looking at the girl who didn’t seem to have noticed him at all despite of his question. It wasn’t how it was supposed to be, yet he carried on, trying to coax the girl to look at him, but she didn’t. Then again, when did she ever look at him, like really look at him.

 

He inhaled deeply when he felt cold air brush against his , catching in his throat midway, and became aware of the sniffling sounds coming from his side. The school grounds were replaced with white sheets against blue walls and the carefree spirit of childhood was gone, replaced by the cynicism of adolescence. He blinked slowly as consciousness began to dawn into him, making his system alert and aware that he was no longer that boy who offered candy to a crying little girl and neither was that little girl little. The only thing that remained the same was that, he was sure, the girl was still crying…despite the twelve-year gap between his dream which was once reality and the present moment.

 

Lee Chan, got up, startled when he realized that. On top of that, he wasn’t expecting anyone’s presence in his room that early in the morning, especially not the young woman he used to give candies to whenever she was down in the dumps. She was supposed to be at least two thousand miles away in Europe, enjoying her summer vacation with her parents, yet there she was, sitting on the side of the bed with her back to him, hunched down as she bent forward, covering her face. The sobs continued, muffled against her palms.

 

He sat up, barely aware of his state of undress, only wearing a pair of boxers and nothing else. He couldn’t care less though. He was wondering why she was there and on top of that, crying.  “J-ji Hye noona?”

 

Ji Hye twisted to her side, her loose brown curls falling down her shoulder as she looked at Chan with bloodshot eyes and the look of fatigue written all over her face and shaking hands. “Hey,” she returned, her nose clogged up and she sniffed loudly, turning away again.

 

On instinct, he kicked the sheets off of him and swung his legs off the bed so he’d be seated next to her. He sighed upon seeing the look on her face. More or less, he already knew what happened. That lost look that replaced her sharp-eyed gazes was always a tell-tale sign of what she’d been through. He didn’t have to guess that it was yet another break-up. He knew so. What he couldn’t understand was why she suddenly turns stupid whenever she goes under a relationship, repeats the cycle over and over again, never maintaining a long-term relationship, when all along, she had been very good at everything she does. 

It was the third incident in the same year that she would come to him all mopey. In fairness to her, she was able to make it last for five months, on and off with her jerk of a boyfriend who cheated on her twice already. They’ve been dating for over a year and she was still blind to his jerketeer and would just cry on her corner whenever something bad happens. Most of the time, she’d be shedding tears in front of him. Chan loved her dearly and knew that she wouldn’t listen to what he had to say anyway, so he didn’t say anything.  It wouldn’t be a surprise if she had been cheated on again, but he wasn’t going to assume.

 

“I’m dreaming, am I not?” he murmured, rubbing his eyes as he stooped down, his head between his knees.

 

Silence.

 

He straightened up. “What are you doing here?” he asked. That was the question. She used to live in the same apartment until she decided to move out half a year ago. A month ago, she said she will leave for France to spend the summer there and that she wouldn’t be back in Seoul for two weeks more yet there she was.

 

She threw the used wad of Kleenex on the floor and glared at Chan. “Is that any way to welcome your friend who’d just arrived?” she gruffly demanded. The faint smell of alcohol and smoke on her clothes and breath was another tell-tale sign. Jung Ji Hye was a lot of things but not violent in any manner and she rarely went to taverns to drink.

 

He crouched down on the floor in front of her and started removing her shoes, untying the laces and pulling her socks off. He then sat beside her and removed her jacket, tossing it on the floor, exposing her shoulders. He took her by the arms and gently made her stand up, starting to work on the button of her jeans. If there was one thing he hated, it was seeing her in such a dejected state. Seeing her in twenty-four-hour old clothes was another thing. She forgets about her routine when she’s depressed.

 

She moved according to what he was doing, only watching with a blank look on her face, the rings heavy under her eyes, but then, she slowly held his hand, a ghost of a smile playing around the corners of . “Chan, you’re my best friend, not my valet,” she murmured.

 

He slapped her hand away playfully. “It’s not like you’ll do it any time soon.” He grimaced. “Just look at you. Besides, I’ve been doing this since you entered high school.”

 

“And you always like what you see?” she murmured.

 

He chuckled and winked. “Of course.” He leaned close and gave her a peck on the forehead then continued on what he was doing then made her step out of her jeans which he also discarded on the floor with her jacket. He left her standing there, motioning to get some clothes for her in his wardrobe when he felt her arms snaking around his bare waist. He tensed and stopped what he was doing.

 

“Noona…”

 

She sighed, her chest swelling against his back, enough to almost make him reel out of consciousness. “You should stop lending me your clothes, too.”

 

He calmed down from his silent surge of panic and turned around to face her, flicking her on the forehead.

 

“Ow!” she growled, burying her face against his chest. “Damn it –”

 

“You’re not strutting around my house in your underwear,” he decided firmly.

 

At that, she stepped back and chuckled. “Your house? The last time I checked, this was our house.”

 

He rolled his eyes. “The last time I checked, you were eagerly packing your stuff to move to your new home with your jerk of a boyfriend.”

 

Her smile fell at the brutality of his words, her bare feet shuffling a bit on the carpet. “I’m sorry. You didn’t take the keys from me, so I thought –”

 

He cut her short, slinging an arm across her shoulder and leading her to the bed. “Okay, you can walk around in your under –”

 

She smacked him on the arm. “Hell no! My suitcases are in the hallway.”

 

Chan’s eyes widened, halting mid-step. “Really?”

 

She nodded, knowing well that she just made his day. “I’m moving back.”

 

Chan didn’t answer.

 

She took his hand and made that face that always made him melt to insanity. “Would you take me back, Chan-Chan?” she asked softly, her fingers twining with his.

 

He nodded. “But let’s have a deal,” he began, running his agitated fingers into his bed-mussed hair.

 

Ji Hye nodded. “You got a girlfriend while noona is away, didn’t you?” she said, smiling cheekily at him. “You let her sleep in my room?”

 

“No.”

 

“So she sleeps on your bed?”

 

“No!” firmer now. “There’s no girl.”

 

She made a face and shook her head. “Chan-Chan, you’re what, twenty? And yet you don’t even have a girlfriend. You’re worrying me.” She huddled closer to him. “Or do you have a boyfriend?” She clapped her hands together. “I knew something was going on with you and that Jihoon guy!”

 

“WHAT?!” he barked at her. “What the hell are you talking about?”

 

She poked him on the rib. “Come on now, Chan-Chan. You don’t have to be shy about your preferences. I think he looks kind of sweet.” She winked and collapsed on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. “I’m damned beat,” she rasped.

 

“Do you want anything?”

 

Her wide set lips stretched into a smile. “Can you get me a long shirt, please?”

 

Chan nodded and went out of his room to locate her suitcases. He found them just by his door, almost tripping on them. He ped one and saw her blouses and jeans until he found some of his shirts, too. He frowned and took one, assuming that it was what she was talking about. He walked back into the room and tossed it to her.

 

“Why do you have my shirts with you?” he asked as he sat down beside her.

 

She put the thing on and pushed Chan on the bed, crawling next to him by the pillows. She moved his arm and cushioned her head on it like she usually would, closing her eyes.

 

He faced Ji Hye. “Noona, I asked you a question.”

 

“It’s so I won’t miss you when I’m away,” she said bluntly. “I’m a human beagle, remember? I have separation anxiety. Just with you though.”

 

He pressed his cheek on her hair, inhaling her scent while drawing circles on her back with his finger. “So you miss me?”

 

“I always do,” she murmured. “Unlike you…”

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

“You don’t see me for over a month and you ask me what the hell I’m doing in your room. That’s really sweet of you.”

 

“I was just surprised, okay?”

 

She snorted. “So what’s this deal you’re saying?”

 

Laughter reverberated from his chest. “So you were listening?” It was just like him to nag.

 

“When didn’t I?”

 

“Fair enough.” His voice resonated in the room, replaced by a deep intake of air. “If you’re moving with me, it had better be for good, or at least warn me a month before you move out again so I’d have time to adjust. You’re giving me whiplashes moving in and out and I feel lonely when you’re not around.”

 

“It’s good to know that someone actually wanted my company.”

 

Chan frowned. “Of course!”

 

“It just keeps happening is all. What the hell did I ever do to deserve this?” She rolled away from him and stared at the ceiling, her chest rising and falling at an unsteady rate. Tears trickled to the side of her eyes and her breathing snagged.

 

“Noona…” he whispered.

 

“Chan-Chan?”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Do you think I’m a bad person?” she asked, her voice cracking.

 

He shrugged. “If you’re talking about why he did what he did, it’s his problem, not yours.”

 

She chuckled bitterly. “I wish I could say the same.” She turned her head to look at him. “You won’t even ask why?”

 

“The reason isn’t important as long as you’re not hurt and you’re safe with me. I don’t care what stupidity that bastard is capable of doing as long as he doesn’t do it to you.” He got up and began throwing clothes on.

 

Ji Hye stood up as well. “Chan, are you going somewhere?” she asked, feeling her hands shaking as she thought of what he would do. More or less, she knew it already.

 

He didn’t answer and began wearing his jacket.

 

Ji Hye grabbed his arm and shook her head. “Chan-Chan, please –”

 

He turned around, glaring at her, at odds to the way he gently removed her hand from his arm. “And then what? I’m just going to watch while he treats you like goddamn trash?” He stepped back from her. “You’re my best friend and you should have known what I would do just so you will not have to feel this way.”

 

He marched out of the room, grabbing his car keys on his way down the stairs while Ji Hye began pulling him back. He paid her no heed until they’ve reached the front door. She wrapped her arms around his torso and just clung to him as if her life depended on it.

 

“Please don’t go. Just stay.”

 

“No! I’m not just going to sit here and watch you cry over that ing son of a for the umpteenth time!”

 

Ji Hye, taken aback by his words, stood back, her arm slackening from his waist. Tears began falling from her eyes once more, warm and stinging as they rolled down her cheeks. She knew how much Chan cared, but never thought he would go through lengths just to protect her. She shook her head even when she knew he couldn’t see her.

 

He remained standing there with his back to her, heaving deep breaths as he, too, shook his head.

 

“He isn’t worth it, Chan-Chan,” she said softly. “He never was and I know how much you want to tell me ‘I told you so’, but I can’t do anything about it anymore, so can we just leave –”

 

He turned to look at her, cupping her face in his warm hands, gazing deeply into her eyes. He closed his after a while, leaning his forehead against hers. He felt Ji Hye’s hand seize his arm, holding on. “That’s exactly why I have to go. He wasn’t worth it and he isn’t and will never be worth your tears. He never deserved you.” With a final glance, he walked off, revenge gleaming in his bright eyes.

 

***

 

Ji Hye found herself in front of her elementary school, staring up at the white façade of the building, wondering all the while why she was there. Thoughts filled her mind. She could clearly see the face of her boyfriend, well, ex, as he kissed another girl on the couch of their flat. She wrung her hands together, trying to forget about it as it slashed her into a thousand pieces while her chest ached as if it had been trampled on.

 

She smirked to herself. What she couldn’t figure out was why he immediately forgot about her and found someone else that quick. She had been gone for two weeks max, not such a long time with little changes to be expected but still, it happened. To be honest, she never really thought that he loved her. She wasn’t stupid nor was she blind, but she chose to ignore the nagging feeling despite knowing of his underhanded ways.

 

Stupid idiot, she thought.

 

It was comforting and alarming whenever the image of Chan’s angry face just before he left her would cross her mind. She was glad that despite the fact that she hadn’t been such a good best friend to him – dragging him in all her troubles, leaving him when she doesn’t agree on something he does yet running back to him whenever she was sad – he still accepted her all the time with open arms and that goofy grin. After all those times she’d been through, being the rebel she was, he still chose to be there for her while she couldn’t even repay him.

 

Her gaze darted to the spot on the steps where she first talked to him, remembering how he had given her a piece of cherry Dum-Dum, assuring her that it would make her feel better. She thought it childish even then, but as they were growing up, she realized something. Though Chan stopped giving her stuff to make her happy, he still remained by her side no matter the odds. The sad truth was that Chan can’t always be there for her and she knew she was just making things worse for him that very moment. He had his own life and she didn’t have any desire to interfere with it any more than she should.

 

She sighed, walking back to her car, thinking that Chan should be looking for her. She left right after he did, dreading what he might do. Chan could be the gentlest person she knew, but it was a different story when he was angry. She’d seen the anger in his eyes and it was enough for her to stop and think about the consequences of her actions as well as flinch in fear. He must be sick of it at some point, but never did he show that to her ever. It was rather odd why he chose to stick with her, but that was also the reason why she cared very deeply for Chan, enough for her to consider his welfare and love him as always. Still, she kept stumbling on trouble and he’d always be there to pick her up and hold her together until she was whole again.

 

He was the best friend one could ever ask for and she appreciated everything he does for her. Now, she was just worried about his wish to protect her. Maybe she would take it better if he lashed out on her, told her to get lost and solve her problem on her own because it was her problem and he didn’t have any involvement in it whatsoever. Contrary to that, he still showed how much he cared and he was proving it by marching to the flat she shared with her ex.

 

Ji Hye glanced at her phone in case he had been calling her, but there wasn’t anything. She revved the engine to life and drove as quickly as she could back to Chan’s apartment. It was still theirs and she knew he wouldn’t kick her out even if he wanted to. The thought was funny. She couldn’t ever imagine Chan ever doing that to her and it was also one of the things that made it harder for her to go back to him.

At the moment, he was her last resort. She was reluctant to come to him, but she never really had friends whom she knew would listen to her like Chan will. Guilt ate her up for going back to him and claiming her previous position in the house, but she has no other choice. Chan was her cure, he’s always been and he will forever be. She surmised that she would never ever be able to survive without him and the situation she was in was yet another one of the numerous proofs.

 

She arrived at the apartment in record time, but when she opened the door, there was no one in. She sat on the couch, tears streaming down her face as she kicked the center table repeatedly. Frustration welled in her chest, making her sob loudly, throwing everything she could lay her hands on until she just felt so tired and decided to doze off on the couch.

 

Roughly an hour later, her eyes flew open with a sour taste at the back of her tongue. Reality set in once more, but it felt better with the sound of the speakers playing softly meshed with the sound of sneakers squeaking against the smooth floor, breaking the stillness she expected to wake up to. She blinked slowly, adjusting her vision until it zeroed in on one figure across the living room – Chan dancing.

 

Slowly, Ji Hye sat up, watching him slowly when she noticed his roughly bandaged knuckles, stained with blood. She looked up at his face and saw a bruise just beside his mouth. Alarm rose in like bile. “Chan-Chan…”

 

“Yeah?” he answered. He didn’t seem angry anymore, but she could tell he was in pain and was once again taking his frustration on what he does best.

 

She rose from her seat and towed him to the couch, taking possession of his injured handhand. She placed it on the edge of the couch. She reached over and held him by the chin, tilting his face. She grimaced. “Damn that jerk,” she hissed and stood up.

 

Chan blinked rapidly. “Where are you going?” he asked.

 

Ji Hye clenched her first, staring at the door.

 

Chan snickered a bit when he saw through her intention. “Noona.”

 

“What?!” she snarled at him. She was heaving deep breaths as she looked at him with venomous eyes.

 

He pulled her down abruptly, sitting her down. “Chill, will you?”

 

Clenching her teeth, she met his gaze which was at odds to her blazing eyes, were calm and retaining their usual mirth. His eyes just danced with light, but it wasn’t enough to appease her anger. “Chill?” she repeated darkly with inflection. She chuckled. “You want me to chill?!”

 

“Jung Ji Hye –”

 

She jabbed a finger at him. “Don’t use that on me now! Nobody and I mean nobody lays a hand on you. Do you understand?!”

 

He just nodded and felt her hand underneath his chin once more. He raised his eyes and was met with a worried Ji Hye…worried and angry.

 

“Just look at you!”

 

“It’s nothing,” he said, looking away from her.

 

“Nothing you say...” She chuckled without humor, tears stinging her eyes. She’s had it. She dragged him into her problem again and she wasn’t going to sit idly. “Why do you do this all the time?”

 

“Whatare you saying?” he said, also getting a bit grouchy.

 

“This! Looking after me.”

 

“You’re my friend, duh.”

 

She scoffed then, blinking back her tears. “I’m not good for you.”

 

“Even so.”

 

“So you know?!” she raged at him. “I don’t care anymore. I’m not going to let this slide, not this time. He hurt me and he hurt you. I’ll ing hurt him back, and no, you’re not stopping me.”

 

“Noona!”

 

“I’ll take care of it,  Chan.”

 

“No –”

 

She stopped him, placing both hands on his shoulder and pressing her lips against his. She lingered there for a few seconds and pushed him back down on the couch, leaving him stunned. Without another word, she stood up and set out, taking her car. She arrived at her ex’s flat, opening the door with her keys. Upon entering, she realize he wasn’t alone. She found him in the bedroom with a girl different from the one she saw him kissing that morning, about to do the deed.

 

“Well, well.” She leaned against the door post, surprised that she wasn’t even feeling the least bit hurt seeing the person she once thought herself in love with canoodling with another girl. “Another one of your hoes, huh? Classic.”

 

Startled, the girl on the bed covered herself. “Who is she?” she demanded.

 

“Ji Hye, I thought you...what are you –?” her ex demanded, gingerly putting his pants up and trying to buckle his belt up. His face was pretty jacked-up, too, even worse than Chan’s face. He approached her, but before he could come near enough, she launched a fist which landed on his nose, the resounding crack echoing in the room. He started fell on the floor, clutching at his broken nose, shivering and yelling bloody murder as blood gushed out of his nose like water out of faucets. The girl on the bed screamed.

 

“How dare you lay a hand on Lee Chan!” she bellowed, her voice coming out guttural as she approached him and kicked him. “You cheat on me, cheat on the girl you cheated on with me,” she heaved her leg and landed a boot-clad foot on his chest before pinning him down and punching him repeatedly on the face and wherever her hand can reach. “And then you hurt the only person that matters to me. You’ve ing crossed the line.” Another punch.

 

The woman on the bed suddenly got up and started pulling on Ji Hye’s hair, but she was numb to the pain and was also having none of it from her. Her ex lay there barely able to stand so she turned her sights on the girl. Jihye seized her arm and forced her down to her knees then raised her hand to land a blow on her as well, fueled by all the anger she felt for being stupid, for being hurt all the time by the same person and for the fact thatChan got hurt in the process. However, before she could do it, she heard Chan’s voice from the door.

 

“Jung Ji Hye!” he called out firmly. He took her distraction to pull her away from the woman who cowered over to where Ji Hye’s ex was. She struggled to lunge at the other girl again, but Chan held her back. “You’re not a lowlife like them, noona. This isn’t you.”

 

Thetears she expected to fall when she saw her ex finally fell when she realized what Chan was saying. She nodded at him and let herself be led out, but then as they took a step out the door, her ex spoke.

 

“You even brought that guy, huh? You’re a ! I’ll get back at you for this!”

 

Chan flexed his neck and in one swift motion, he was back in the room. Without warning, he lunged himself at the guy, his fist only stopping an inch before the face he wished he could punch, but he stopped himself in time. His eyes, however, remained sharp and menacing as he stared the guy down.

 

“If I see you anywhere Ji Hye again, I will finish what we started earlier,” he hissed.

 

“At least have the guts to tell her what you said to me earlier today when you came barging in.”

 

“I didn’t ask for you opinion.”

 

“You love her.”

 

“I know.” He straightened up and followed Ji Hye who was already walking walking outside rather aimlessly. He ran after her and slowed down when he finally reached her, noticing how she was still clenching her right fist. “Hey.”

 

“Hey yourself,” she said, a rather peaceful look settling on her face as she looked at him. “You didn’t kill him, did you?”

 

“Nah,” he said coolly. “Not worth it. You, on the other hand, beat him to a pulp.”

 

“He deserved it.” She sighed then and stopped walking. She looked ahead on the deserted street. “I’m sorry.”

 

He arched a brow at her. “This is so not you.”

 

“Still...”

 

He reached over and ruffled her hair. “It’s nothing.”

 

She swatted his hand away. “The , kid! You don’t mess with the hair.”

 

“Just with the face, huh?” he offered and they dissolved in carefree laughter.

 

Jus then, they both dug into their pockets and at the same time brandished that all too familiar cherry Dum-Dum. “Here,” they chorused, handing each other the same candy. Ji Hye frowned slightly. “I’m supposed to make you feel better, you know.”

 

Chan took her proffered candy and handed his to her. “Whatever. We’re both feeling ty anyway.”

 

They walked in silence, eating the lollipop until they reached the intersection, waiting for the light to turn green so they could cross to where they’ve parked their cars.

 

“So...” Chan began.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I’m the only person that matters to you, huh?”

 

Ji Hye narrowed her eyes and nodded as she air through her teeth. “Pretty much.”

 

He nodded in understanding, too.

 

“So...” she also said, mimicking his tone earlier.

 

“What?”

 

“You love me?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“As a friend?”

 

“More than that.”

 

The light turned green and she took a step forward, taking his injured hand in her equally mangled hand as they crossed the street. They smiled simultaneously without meeting each other’s gazes, lips and tongue stained red.

 

---END---