Angel Next Door | Jeonghan

Seventeen: A Collection

TITLE: The Angel Next Door

CHARACTERS: Yoon Jeonghan | Reader

WORD COUNT: 2,302

======================================================================================================

He was the highlight of your day – that older college boy who rented the upstairs room at the house next door owned by the elderly couple, the same one who looked like he didn’t belong standing at the bus stop at eight in the morning sharp because he looked like an angel among mortals with those androgynous features and a shoulder-length, copper-brown hair that cascaded as he walked as if it had a life of its own.

You could only sigh whenever you happen to see him leaving home at the same time you go to school, thinking it was a shame you both attended different universities. It became an everyday thing, him crossing your line of vision, since he moved in about half a year ago, stunning you motionless when you suddenly saw this surreal sight of a humanoid yet otherworldly being from the window across yours. He looked all ethereal and handsome while you just woke up, hair in great disarray and dressed in your favorite oversized tatty shirt. You’ve never really cared how people looked at you until the moment your eyes met his through your windows.

You soon learned that his name was Yoon Jeonghan, a pre-med student at the neighboring college, and he was new in town. The old lady who rented the place to him was talked a bit too much for your liking, but she proved to be useful where the boy was concerned. You just loved looking at him and although you knew it was rude to stare at strangers, you couldn’t help but glance at him once in a while, and the fact that your study table was situated right by the window across his did not help at all.

As time passed, you have learned his routine and manners of doing things unintentionally. In the morning, he would be up before you were, curtains already neatly pushed to the sides. He would do some reading, and by the time you were up, he would stand up from his desk, turn off the lamp then would disappear for some time before he returns into view, already dressed up for the day. You would most likely be biting a waffle or a sandwich between your mouth, hurriedly rifling through piles of clothes left on the chair, hanging on the foot of the bed or strewn on the floor, deciding what to wear. Your room looked like the aftermath of a hurricane and Jeonghan’s seemed to be a mocking reflection of yours being the opposite. His books were lined up on the shelf right across his window. His bed was made up as if he never slept on it, and you never saw clothes everywhere. Heck, his desk was always in that same order.

He’s a neat freak, you figured as much. You were sitting on the porch one time when he arrived home and saw him take out a piece of Kleenex, wrapping it around the door handle before he twisted it open. One time, you happen to ride the same bus in the morning. He did the same thing before holding onto the pole as he needed to stand for the ride. Many times, you saw him wipe his table with what seemed to be disinfectant that came out of a spray bottle, and he had a small bottle of hand sanitizer hanging on the zipper of his backpack. It was a quirk of his you found rather endearing.

You’ve spoken to him once, too. The lady was tending to her garden when he came out of the house in a cream, long-sleeved knitted number which exposed his collarbones, and a pair of jeans. You happened to be watering your mother’s daisies, too, and you were fortunate enough to witness him card his fingers through his beautiful hair.

Just then, the old lady called him over to the fence which divided your property and theirs. “Jeonghan, this is Y/N, our neighbor. She’s also in college like you,” she said.

You smiled awkwardly, managing to say a timid, “Hi,” which he responded to with a brief nod, repeating your name. You never were particularly fond of your name, but when he said it, hearing his mellow voice for the first time, you could have sworn he said an entirely different name form yours.

He told you he went to that other university, asking if you also went there, but when you said no, he said, “Shame,” turned around and told the old lady he was going out for a walk.

From that day on, you’d sneak glances at him, pretend to be reading on the swing on your porch just to catch a glimpse of him or sit by your table, pretending to be busy with something, when really, you were just eyeing him. It became a habit, and a few times, he caught you staring. He didn’t say or do anything about it. He just did not react, pretty much ignoring you and pretending not to have seen anything. There were times when he would smile at you, a slight quirking of his mouth to the side and that was about it, but it was still enough to hotwire your brain. What was left of it disintegrated into a puddle of goo when you saw him talking on the phone with someone by his open window, smiling wide and even laughing. It was as if the gates of heaven have opened, and before you knew it, you were ogling him.

So, you weren’t prepared when one day, you went out of the house early and Yoon Jeonghan caught up to you, matching your pace on the sidewalk as you headed to the bus stop. “good morning,” he chirped and you had to dig your nails into your palms to check whether you were really seeing him or not. It hurt, so he was really there.

You arched a brow at him. “Good morning…”

“Going to school?”

You nodded, not really trusting yourself to say a word.

“You’re early today,” Jeonghan remarked, flashing you a sidelong glance.

“I guess.” Your brows knit slightly at that. As opposed to how you thought he was oblivious to your existence, he actually noticed something about you, but you did not want to over-analyze things although you wished he really didpay attention to you.

“You usually head out after eight just as my usual bus leaves.”

You nodded, reminded of those times when you would usually see him sitting on the bus, already full and ready to leave. You chuckled slightly. “You’re right. My classes don’t usually start before nine.”

He looked thoughtful as you phrased your explanation. Soon, you were standing in front of the bus stop, waiting for the eight o’clock bus. You didn’t say any more since you thought you were too scared to look at him or say anything stupid, but then, he broke the silence between you.

“I heard you listening to music last night.”

Your eyes rounded as you shifted your eyes to him, standing a head taller than you less than a foot away. “Oh my god, was it too loud?” you asked in a hurry. “I’m so sorry if I disturbed you in any way.”

He waved your words aside with a slight chuckle and you felt yourself shiver a little at the sound. He sounded like tinkling bells. “No, don’t apologize. It was fine,” he said, trying to placate you. He smiled a bit then. “You like indie?”

“Y-yeah.” You looked away just in time, previously entranced by that smile on his face.

“Me, too.”

You blinked. “Really?”

“Really.”

The bus arrived and people filed in. You were one of the last ones to board it with Jeonghan following suit. He was a step behind you since he had been busy taking out a piece of tissue from his bag, but he went abroad just in time, following you towards the middle of the bus where you stood as there were no more seat available. He, too, did the same, towering over you, his hand securely on the pole with said tissue in between.

You just stood there, feeling nervous at your proximity to the male, his scent filling you in a mix of what seemed to be dried roses and a hint of sanitizer. Just then, the bus jerked forward, causing you to crash against his chest. He held onto you by the waist, securing you so that you didn’t fall.

“You okay?” he asked softly by your ear, his warm breath hitting your skin, making your heart stop for a second before it was beating erratically.

With eyes wide as saucers, you looked up at him, pulling back as much as you could in the cramped space. You were only about an inch away from touching him, and you wished you could hide away since you felt your cheeks burning. The smile that suddenly spread across his pretty lips attested to the fact that you were blushing madly.

Again, you just nodded, noting the slight pressure of his hand against the small of your back. He took your hand in his, placed the tissue he was holding the pole with and placed your hand on it before putting his hand over yours. “This way, you won’t fall again.” He was grinning as he said the words. “You look prettier up close.”

You looked down on your feet, screaming internally. You were on a bus. With Yoon Jeonghan. And he’s holding onto your hand, the other one wrapped around your waist securely. And he called you pretty. This can’t be real!

You were just crushing on this guy who pretty much ignored you, and yet…

“You smell good,” you heard him say, making you snap your head up to look at him. The incredulous look you planned turned into that of enchantment you found his face so close to yours, one wrong move and your noses would be touching.

When you did not say anything, he droned on, “Strawberries?”

“Raspberries,” you blurted out, remembering the scent of your shampoo.

He sniffed. “Just as good.”

It was odd, what he was doing, but you couldn’t react properly with the way he was making a heated mess out of your brain and heart. Just then, your eyes shifted to his copper hair, and without thinking, you said, “Your hair is long.”

“Yeah? My mom wants me to cut it. Do you think I should?”

You shook your head. “No, it’s pretty like that.”

“You think my hair is pretty?”

Holy , Y/N, what are you saying?You chuckled nervously, grimacing. “I guess?”

He leaned even closer. “What about me, Y/N? Do you think I’m pretty?” he asked. Taken aback by his question, you avoided his gaze, feeling your face grow even hotter if that was possible. “Well?” he prompted.

“Yeah,” you answered, trying to sound nonchalant, but it came out in what seemed to be an awkward whine, and you wished you did not talk at all. You narrowed your eyes at him then. “Why are you asking me anyway?” you demanded, a bit peeved. He obviously knew you had a crush on him, and he was making you jump hoops.

Jeonghan removed his hand from your waist and motioned to tuck stray strands of hair away from your face, his cold fingers brushing against the shell of your ear. “Do you wanna know a secret?” he whispered.

You were puzzled at that. “If you wanna tell me then…”

It didn’t even take long before he said, “I like someone, and I need your input.”

That tugged at your chest. He likes someone. “Myinput?”

He nodded, eyes intent on yours, warm brown ones boring into your obsidian orbs.

“Why?”

“We’re here,” he said, and the bus stopped as if on cue. Indeed, you have arrived at the stop where you both disembark to head to your respective schools. “Let’s go?” He dropped your question, but he never let go of your hand.

“Okay.” You sighed as he you followed behind him, maneuvering through the crowded vehicle. Your eyes remained fixed on his back, annoyed that the bus ride was too quick and you had to part ways with him. You were glad, however, that until you were standing on the sidewalk at the point where you’re supposed to walk straight while he had to cross the road, he held onto your hand, the tissue still scrunched up between your fingers and palm.

“I guess I’ll see you around?” you told him, adjusting the strap of your bag over your shoulder.

He glanced at the watch on his wrist then set his eyes on you. Jeonghan pouted a bit. “I haven’t answered your question.”

You breathed in deeply and let go of the air in batches, awaiting his response which would obviously disappoint you. “So, why do you need my input?” you asked again.

“Before I answer that, can I ask you a question?”

You wanted to run away, but you stood your ground and nodded. “Shoot.”

“Do you wanna go out with me?”

The question came out of nowhere and you couldn’t quite believe he was actually asking you that. It did not really register in your head. “Yes – wait, what?!”

Jeonghan stepped closer to you. “I asked if you wanted to go out with me,” he repeated, each syllable distinct.

“Why?”

“Just answer me,” he insisted.

“Sure, but why?” you insisted as well, pretending you understood “go out” as a casual thing.

“To talk. I did say I wanted your input, and so I could get to know you.”

His response crushed you a bit. “Oh.”

But then, he said, “And I like you, Y/N.” Once more, he smiled that angelic smile. “Does that answer your question?”

 

image