WELCOME HOME

ONE YEAR
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nervous fingertips double check the address twice, swiping on the cold screen before ringing the buzzer on the intercom, feeling a state of epinephrine coursing through her blood. The jet lag is a lot easier than people warned, which she’s quite grateful for if she’s honest. As the doors open automatically, her heavily clothed body begins making its way through the front area of what’s more of an extravagant, dignified mansion over anything as she considers how it can be humanly possible that one person lives alone in such a site. Fingertips wrap tightly against the suitcase she lugs through the various stairs, a travel that’s necessarily just to get to the front door of the premise. When she finally arrives, closed fists gently knock on the wooden door, before seeing a taller male open it, his expression illustrating complete aghast to see her.

“  Who are you  ?  ”  He spits in a tone of red anger, dark brows furrowing together as he’s notices the black luggage behind her.

For a moment, she wonders whether she’s gotten the wrong house.

That is, until chocolate orbs clash against deep pigments, finding a sense of familiarity. 

It's the same face that she'd seen in a photo.


“  I’m Park Chaeyoung, I think my grandfather and yours are friends,  ”  her voice is tantalising smooth, a small cough following, “  …  I’m sorry, I know I was meant to call you when the plane landed, but I couldn’t get any service and my grandfather isn’t answering his calls, I think he’s already asleep because of the timezones.  ”

She's rambling.

Park Chaeyoung can feel the anxiety bubbling in her blood stream. 

She isn't particularly fond of the idea of marrying a stranger.

“  Oh ,  ”  he cussed under his breath, causing for her to almost jump in shock, “  …  so you’re the Australian girl who’s meant to tie me down, huh  ?  ”

The transparency is truly... something. 

Was his words a joke  ?

Why did they suddenly ring true  ?

She doesn’t comment, feeling her cheeks light up a rose tone which she isn’t quite sure is a result of his words or from the sudden cold weather that she wasn’t used to. The silence is broken as he calls out something and then suddenly, five older women, wearing very little clothing considering the kind of weather they were experience, are leaving his premise. She keeps her head down, but can’t help but hear one of them asking him to call her in which he plants his lips with hers as though it were nothing. 

Realising the playboy image her grandfather warned her off was less of an exaggeration than she though, she takes a heavy breath, pressed lips as she waited for him to say something.

It’s as though she isn’t really there as each of the older women whisper words to his ear or leave another intimate gesture in one way or another.

When they all finally do leave, he grabs her by the wrist, in a jagged gesture, dragging her inside. 

She’s relieved to feel the sudden warmth from the home against her skin, a heavy breath as eyes impolitely scan the interior of his house. It was more luxurious than any venue she’d ever seen and most likely bigger than her entire high school back home in Australia.

“  Don’t catch any flies with your mouth that wide open,  ”  he hissed in annoyance, rolling his eyes as he begins walking and it takes a few moments for her to follow, especially with the suitcase in her hand, “  … here are the rules. You don’t get to talk to me. You don’t get to look at me. Mind your own ing business and don’t get into mine. You have full access to this house except the cars, though that won’t be an issue because I’ll arrange a driver for you. The only rooms you can’t get into is mine and the ensuite but I’ll keep them locked anyway. You can pick whichever bedroom you like on the top floor. Understood  ?  ”

She nods, eyes refusing to look at him still partly recovering from his brutal words.

Chaeyoung knows his type all too well. 

Belligerent.

Aggressive.

Pessimistic. 

She doesn’t need to hear another word though, to know that it’s most likely a shield, a barrier or sorts that prevents anyone from seeing the true insecurity that lurked through her perfectly proportioned face. 

Chaeyoung is many things however giving him the satisfaction of a reaction is not something in her vocabulary.
 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter