Eight

College Days

Yugyeom was sitting on a chair in a store at the mall, he was pulling on a stray string off his shirt, Bambam told him to sit there and wait until he brings some pieces of clothes. He had been waiting close to 10 minutes, he wanted to pull his hair out, and this was taking much too long. When it came to these things Bambam took his time and was so invested in clothes. Yugyeom had to give his best friend more credit that though. Bambam had an actual talent when it came to fashion he didn’t just dress well, although Yugyeom didn’t quite understand fully what the mechanics of Bambam interest were, he did understand Bambam a passion for it.

Yugyeom on the other hand, did not have a passion for it and this was taking excoriating long but Yugyeom couldn’t complain. Not only was Bambam doing this for him, but he had just told Bambam that he wouldn't be like Bambam and complain when he has to do something that Bambam likes.

There was no way he was going to admit that Bambam was right or that he couldn’t last 10 minutes to Bambam’s 3 hours. He sighed he really hoped this wouldn’t go on any longer, how is it that there is a whole store and Bambam took so long to find articles of clothing.

It was like the heavens heard his hopes and granted him salvation because he saw Bambam walking towards him. Yugyeom swore at that moment that he saw a shining light radiating from behind Bambam at the moment, but if you’d asked anyone else they’d probably say that Bambam’s dramatics were rubbing off on his best friend.

“Oh good, you here! Finally, it was like you got lost or something.” Yugyeom said overly dramatic.

Bambam looked at him flatly, “Really? It has been less 15 mins.” Bambam shook his head, people said he was the dramatic one.

“Whatever, just go try these things on and don’t worry, I didn’t change your signature ‘I like to cut off all circulation in my legs’ skinny jeans,” Bambam said as Yugyeom looked at the clothes skeptically.

Bambam shoved him in the dressing room, “I paired what goes together, hurry up.”

Yugyeom pouted and muttered to himself saying Bambam was the one who was taking forever picking outfits.

Bambam smiled as Yugyeom came out with the first outfit, “Ooooh! I’m impressed with myself, you definitely look good with this, and it’s y without being too extra. What do you think?” Bambam asked as Yugyeom looked in the mirror again.

“I think it looks good. I like it isn’t too much as I thought it would be,” Yugyeom said relieved and smiling.

Bambam shook, “you can’t pull off my style Yugyeom you are low-key y and I picked out things that show it off, I do actually have a talent in my major.” Bambam said flatly no one, understands that there was more than liking to shop involved in Bambam’s reason for picking a fashion major.

“Go try on the other outfits.” Bambam shooed him back into the changing room.

“Isn’t this just a normal outfit?” Yugyeom said not fully understanding how Bambam could take so long to come up with this. Bambam rolled his eyes, “you can’t dress like you just came off the runway all the time. This is simple, yes but not only does it show variety because all you seem to own is black skinny jeans-“

“I thought you said that I looked good in black skinny jeans?” Yugyeom said defending his fashion choices as he interrupted Bambam.

“Yes, I did. It makes your legs look skinnier and emphasizes how long they are. However, that doesn’t mean you have to only wear them, you need variety or Jungkook will get used to seeing you like that and become desensitized with that look.” Bambam said seriously.

Yugyeom thought Bambam was being a little dramatic and taking clothes a bit too serious but technically he is the same way about dancing so he can’t really complain.

“Anyway it may be simple but the wide collar shirts show off your collarbone and your wife shoulders, it hangs nicely of your frame. You don’t need to wear fancy or outwardly y clothes to make you look good. With your face more subtly y works for you and it is unexpected.”

Yugyeom look at the outfit again and he can get what Bambam was saying as he looked at his collarbone, Bambam did know better than him so he decided to just trust his friend.

He went back into the dressing room to try on the other outfits.

________________________________________

Jackson was coming back from his fencing practice, Jackson loved basketball but that is because he really likes the team play aspect of the sport and when Mark was trying out, he wanted to support him and make sure he was lonely. Jackson made the team but he stayed for Mark, the elder wasn’t as social as he was and didn’t talk to people first. However, Fencing was something he loved for himself, his dad was a fencer and he trained when he was little, he wanted to be just like his dad. As he got older he found his own motivation for the sport and genuinely played for his own sake.

Which is why he is currently in turmoil his dad told him that he should come back to China to focus on fencing. Originally, his parents sent him over to Korea because of his knee injury that he sustained in his junior Olympics training days. Korea had much better physical therapy for sports injuries and if Jackson couldn’t fully recover from this injury he’d at least have a better education.

However, his injury got better and he was able to join his school’s fencing team last year and won multiple competitions. His dad was so happy when he heard he won gold in his first competition. His dad was ecstatic when he heard, Jackson had told him about joining his school's team but his dad didn’t think much about it. When he first got his injury his dad was worried about his well-being, of course. However,

After his dad heard about the recovery time and the success percentages about getting back to the level of athleticism he was before his injury, his dad lost hope in him being an athlete. Jackson worked hard and he was able to fully recover which his doctor said was amazing that it was a 3% chance to have a full recovery.

Jackson never thought he’d be able to recover, he worked hard and tried to stay positive but he was elated when he found out the news. He told his parents right away and his mom was so happy that he was better and his dad was happy that he could get back on the path to being a national athlete. His dad told him when he finished up this semester that there was a position on his old team open for him. They heard and saw all his matches that he had won while on his school’s team and that his position on the national team was open for him.

Three years ago that would’ve been the best thing to hear and Jackson would’ve screamed on the top of his lungs until he lost his voice. However, when his dad told him about leaving Korea for a position on the national team he had a bittersweet feeling. He did love fencing but he had come to terms with the idea that he may never be a professional fencer when he was going through therapy.

If you were talking to Jackson from three years ago he would’ve said that all he wanted to do was fencing. That was all his life revolved around and all his friends were junior Olympians also so he had no idea of a world outside of that. Both of his parents were also Olympic athletes too, all of Jackson life he thought he would be one too.

However, when got to Korea he started experiencing other things outside of an athlete life and having friends that didn’t live to be Olympians. He started to picture a future where his life didn’t focus on fencing and it wasn’t a bad life, he liked Korea and his friends here. Of course, Hong Kong is his home and he missing his parent but Jackson also made a little home in Korea too.

Jackson sighed, he didn’t know what he wanted to do but he knows his parents will be disappointed if he didn’t come back home. Going to Korea was always supposed to be temporary anyway, it wasn’t like his parents expected him to stay there and he also knew that. Yet, for some reason, the feelings he was getting thinking about leaving Seoul are creating doubts in his mind about his future that he had always been so sure about.

It’s not like he’ll lose his friends here, they can always skype and text, and they can also visit. Although, if he is going back to training he won’t have time to visit. Jackson went back to his dorm, he was planning on going to Mark’s and Youngjae’s dorm but he doesn’t think he is in the right frame of mind right now.

Jackson went into the shower, letting the water run over his head the warmth of the water eased his headache. The whole situation was more complicated than he had anticipated it be. He didn’t even know how to bring up the topic but even Mark had known he was supposed to leave at some point it just came a little early. Jackson didn’t even know why he was making this a big deal, he wasn't dying and China isn't so far away that they couldn’t visit each other.


Jaebum and Jinyoung got back to school, “thanks for lunch,” Jinyoung said causing Jaebum to shake his head.

“You know you planned the lunch and tried to pay,” Jaebum said looking at Jinyoung judging eyes.

“Yes, I did and I failed in paying, hence why I’m thanking you for treating me.” Jinyoung smiled.

“So, I realized something,” Jaebum said in no particular tone, Jinyoung looked at him but said nothing waiting for Jaebum to speak.

“I beat up Yugyeom’s boyfriend’s hyung,” Jaebum said in suggestive tone but didn’t add on.

“Yes, you did,” Jinyoung said trying to get Jaebum to expand on to his sentence because he didn’t know where this was leading.

“But you didn’t mention apologizing to Yugyeom you insisted that I resolved things with Youngjae. I know you baby him but then you said to Youngjae that you weren’t mad that you knew he just let his feelings take over.” Jaebum said hoping Jinyoung got what he was implying because he really didn’t want to say it and it not be true.

“Oh,” Jinyoung said chuckling

“Why are you laughing?” Jaebum asked annoyed but it was mainly just him trying to mask his embarrassment.

“Nothing, I’ve just been waiting to see how long you were going to be oblivious. You are usually very attentive and fast at picking up these things.” Jinyoung said feeling a sense of relief that Jaebum finally noticed the obvious.

“So, he really likes me?” Jaebum said sighing out.

“Yes, but with that sigh, I take it you don’t seem to like that fact,” Jinyoung said not judging or condemning the older boy.

“You’re not going to rip off my head for not having a positive reaction to your baby’s feelings,” Jaebum said questioning because he knew how protective Jinyoung was over the Youngjae specifically.

“I’m your best friend, you idiot. I’m protective over Youngjae but you are always my number one. Plus, I’m not going to make you feel bad about not liking someone just because it will hurt their feeling. That is life, not everyone will like Youngjae or you and I can't be upset every time you guys get your feelings hurt.” Jinyoung said in a soft tone.

Jaebum smiled, “Thank you.”

“However, I am slightly surprised.”

Jaebum looked over at him, “Did you think that I’d like him?”

Jinyoung shook his head, “Oh no, of course not. I know you if you would’ve like him, I would have known. I was sure if you were straight, gay, or bi. You never showed interest in anyone except me, there was a time in high school I thought you liked me because you were acting weird but later you went back to normal.”

Jaebum flushed, “Why are you surprised then?” Jaebum asked.

“Well, regardless if you like Youngjae or not I assumed that you’d at least give him a shot if it works out or not at least that way you’d still be able to maintain a friendship with him.” Jinyoung voiced out his opinion.

Jaebum sighed, “I really can’t hide things from you. I did like you in high school and I know what you meant by me acting weird. After the whole suspension incident, you were always by my side and believed in me. I thought that I liked you because I had all these feelings for you. I wanted to kill anyone who hurt you and I only wanted to see you happy, I had never had a friend like you before. I realized later I didn’t like you but that I loved you, but it wasn’t in a romantic sense. I mean you are handsome but it is not because I have romantic feelings for you it is just a fact. I mistook my love for you as a best friend as me having romantic feelings for you.” Jaebum told the other and looking at him to gauge his reaction.

“Ahhh, you think Youngjae is mistaking his admiration for you as him liking you,” Jinyoung said getting Jaebum's point but gave no sign to being affected by any of Jaebum words.

“Are you seriously not going to at least to pretend like you are affected but my revelations?” Jaebum said deadpanned.

“I mean I was right but I figured that is usually the thing you hate to hear from me the most,” Jinyoung said.

Jaebum sighed, “I don’t even know why I was scared to tell this or how I could even think I liked in the first place.”

Jinyoung had the decency to at least act offended this time, “I’ll have you know that I’m a lovely catch and it is only natural for you to think you liked me.” Jinyoung told his friend, only causing Jaebum to roll his eyes.

“That’s it, you need to stay away from Bambam and never hang out with Jackson. I put up with your smart remarks, sarcasm and your annoying know it all self-disposition. However, I will not deal with the cockiness that Mark hyung puts up or the narcissism that Yugyeom puts up with.” Jaebum said seriously.

It was Jinyoung’s turn to roll his eyes, Jaebum was always a little over dramatic but the elder boy would never admit it.

“I mean what do you want me to say hyung, it’s not like you like me and I love you too,” Jinyoung said not really getting why Jaebum thought this would be a big deal.

“I really don’t know why I expected something else from you, to be honest,” Jaebum said sighing.

“But hyung even if it is just his admiration wouldn’t it also be okay to give him a chance. It would also help him figure if really like you or it is his admiration for you.” Jinyoung reasoned.

“Yeah but if I give him a chance I’m going to actually try and see if works out. What happens if he realizes he doesn’t like me and I actually do end up like him,” Jaebum said sighing.

Jinyoung smiled, “Well then you try to make him actually liked him or he doesn’t and you have your first heartbreak. Then, I will come over with ice cream and we will get through together like we do everything else. However, he could actually like you and you could actually like him. Then you’d be a disgustingly cute and protective boyfriend, and get jealous of me babying your boyfriend and then you get jealous that he likes me more.”

Jaebum looked at him deadpanned, “Are you really trying to get my hypothetical boyfriend to like you more than me?”

“Hey, I can’t help it just happens that way,” Jinyoung said as if it was a fact.

“You are unbelievable. Really you are just amazing!” Jaebum said sarcastically.

“Hmm. Well, it is better to try and really know what will happen, rather than play it safe and regret never trying.” Jinyoung said wisely.

“Jinyoung I—I don’t want to hurt him if I don’t develop feelings for him,” Jaebum said worriedly.

“Hyung, he will get hurt regardless. Won’t it be better to know that he a chance and he could at least get closure if you don’t because at least you did gave him a shot? It's not like you straight out don’t like him, you guy aren’t meant to be if you don’t have feelings for or vice versa. Heartbreak is something that is unavoidable, if you get hurt or he does, I’m here for you and him. You have Jackson too and he has Mark too, there are Yugyeom and Bambam too.” Jinyoung said reassuring his friend.

Jaebum nodded but he was still wary, Jinyoung stopped him from walking.

“Okay hyung, I’m not going to push if you are really scared but I want you to be happy. I’m always here for you but you also need to let people into too. I get why you are afraid, I know you can’t open up easily, but you have to be able to put yourself out there to get a bigger reward. If it doesn’t work out at least you tried and I will be there for you to get you through it. You live and you learn.” Jinyoung said giving the older a reassuring smiled.

“Okay?” Jinyoung asked.

“Okay.” Jaebum smiled.

Jaebum proceeded to drag Jinyoung towards Mark and Youngjae’s dorm.

“Uhhh I didn’t mean you had to do this very second and why I’m I coming?” Jinyoung said taken back by being dragged.

“I need moral support or I’ll lose my nerve. Plus, you and Mark are working on being friends so you need to hang out with each other alone too, so it is your best interest to come too.” Jaebum reason.

Jinyoung sighed and let Jaebum him drag away, he honestly thought Youngjae and Jaebum would make a good couple. Youngjae is a little otter that needs protecting and Jaebum was like protect tiger, but they were both erted and shameless.


Mark and Youngjae were playing games together, they actually worked well as roommates because Youngjae like to play games. The games he played were pretty loud and would mostly like disturb any other person if they were his roommate. Luckily though Mark is also a game fanatic also and he is often on YouTube looking at video gameplays.

They were playing Mortal Kombat X, they usually played for fun but other times, like now, they played for who did certain chores, for example, cleaning or washing dishes and etc.

“No, No, No! Stop ducking…….AHH!!! No, you dodged my super move.” Youngjae cried out in despair if someone were to hear him they would’ve thought someone died.

“Yesssss, !!!!” Mark said as he did a fatality finishing off Youngjae and winning. (I still can’t believe Mark said that on v live and the rest of them acting like nothing happened.)

Youngjae lost, that meant he had to wash the dishes and cleaned the living room.

Youngjae pouted and got up to go the sink and wash the dishes first, but he was interrupted when there was a knock on their door.

Youngjae walked over to the door and opened up, Jinyoung and Jaebum came into his view. “Hyungs, what are you doing here?” Youngjae didn’t get a text that Jinyoung was going to come over.

“Oh well we just came back on campus-, “Jinyoung started to say but Youngjae interrupted him.

“Oh yeah, your lunch date! How did it go?” Youngjae said trying to fake happiness and interest because he knew it was irrational to be jealous of it and Jinyoung would catch on if he made it obvious. However, despite his efforts, the look of questioning that changed into a smirk from Jinyoung told Mark that Jinyoung definitely knew the reason for Youngjae’s behavior.

Mark got up when heard the door knock he wasn’t expecting any visitors and Youngjae didn’t say anything about anyone coming over either.

“Ah, Youngjae can we talk?” Jaebum said as Mark came into view.

Youngjae looked surprised, “you wanted to talk to me?” Youngjae said nervous and taken aback.

Jaebum nudged Jinyoung which Youngjae didn’t notice because he was currently freaking out over the fact Jaebum wanted to talk to him, but Mark did notice the budge and raised his eyebrow.

“Um, Jaebum hyung was supposed to help me put up a bookshelf in my dorm. But seeing as he needs to talk to Youngjae. Maybe you could help me put up the shelf, I’m a bit hopeless with these kinds of things.” Jinyoung said.

Mark looked at you Jinyoung strangely, “Oh Mark hyung you should help Jinyoung if he needs help.” Youngjae said not getting what was going on.

“What are you talking about? You built a treehouse by yourself. I’m sure you can put up a shelf yourself.” Both Jaebum and Youngjae looked at them.

“You built a tree house?” Jaebum said impressed and confused how Mark knew that and he didn’t, Jinyoung glared at Mark.

Mark forgot that there were certain things he knew that no else knew about Jinyoung, for some reason Mark took a bit pride knowing that he knew things about Jinyoung that Jaebum didn’t.

“Umm but yeah I guess if you need help I’ll help you if need it, see you guys later,” Mark said quickly trying to get out his dorm before Youngjae and Jaebum questioned his knowledge on Jinyoung.


Jinyoung and Mark walked out leaving Jaebum and Youngjae alone, Jinyoung continued to glare at Mark. “Seriously?” Jinyoung asked. Mark tried to defend himself, “Okay, in my defense I didn’t realize they didn’t know that about you.”

“That’s not what I meant, you know that fact. So obviously if I was saying that to you, isn’t that obvious that I wanted to leave them alone. Plus, Jaebum does know I am perfectly capable of building things. He was the one who wanted me to help him get Youngjae alone when they talked.

Mark looked sheepish, “sorry I just blurted out the first thing that came to mind and then I realized your intentions.” Mark said in a sullen tone and not because he was disappointed that Jaebum did know Jinyoung was handy, or at least that was what Mark told himself.

“How come he looked so surprised that you built a treehouse by yourself then,” Mark asked.

“I said he knew I was handy but I didn’t tell him about the treehouse thing, I did it for the 5th anniversary of my mom's death and I never actually told him about either of my parents. I mean he is the only other than you that knows my mom is dead but I never talked about her to him other than to tell him she died.” Jinyoung said and to anyone else, it would have seemed like his normal tone but Mark could hear the restraint in his voice and see how hard he tried to look unaffected.

“Oh, I didn’t know you were keeping that a secret too,” Mark said referring to Jinyoung’s family.

Jinyoung sighed, “I’m not. Jaebum never asked me about and I never talked about her death to anyone really. I only really talk about her to your parents.” Jinyoung said the tension slowly leaving his voice, normally Jinyoung would stay far away from the topic of his mother. He really only talked about her with Mark’s parents, mainly Mark's mom, because she was his mom’s best friend.

“I’m sorry maybe I shouldn’t have brought it up,” Mark said apologetically, Jinyoung never really seemed bothered talking about his mom with Mark’s mom. Mark thought he was okay about talking about her, he didn’t realize Jaebum didn’t know about her death.

Jinyoung sighed out, “It’s fine. I really don’t like talking about her with other people because I can see the automatic shift in their tone and eyes when I do. They pity me and it becomes awkward, I don’t like having to show people a side of myself that I want to keep to myself. However, your mom was her best friend and when my mom was on her deathbed she told me to take care of my dad, sisters, and your mom. Also, you’ve already seen me at most of my saddest moments so it doesn’t matter if you talk about her. You knew her and she loved you too, it's when people who don’t know her and try to make me feel better or give me courtesy sympathy and pity that I don’t like.”

Jinyoung didn’t mean to vent that much to Mark but the elder was there when Jinyoung went through that part of his life and Mark knew his mother. Mark didn’t give him this automatic sympathy or pitied him, Mark genuinely treated him like he was a person. When his mother died everyone looked at Jinyoung with sad eyes because he was a kid and everyone treated him as if he was a box with fragile cargo. It was insulting because Jinyoung was there as his mother's sickness hit and as her health deteriorated he was there. Mark saw his once strong independent mother slowly become frail and dependent on her children and husband that she used to care for.

Jinyoung began taking care of his mother during his sickness, his sisters were busy with school and they were also too scared to go see her in the state she had become. His dad hired day nurses and Jinyoung would dismiss them after school to care for his mom. That’s when his mom told him that she knows it would be hard on him, but his dad and his sister would have a harder time because they were more dependent on her than he was. Jinyoung grew up a lot faster than any kid his age, hence his maturity beyond his age. So it was condensing when people treated him like a child because he was probably more capable of understanding situations and empathizing than any of the people who pitied him.

Mark looked at Jinyoung he seemed to be in his thoughts, “

Well, if you don’t mind me asking why you haven’t told Jaebum about her or your family. I’m sure he’d still treat you the same and he'd be actually genuine with his sympathy.” Mark asked because Jaebum and Jinyoung were pretty much in sync with each other.

“When I met Jaebum he treated me like anyone else even though people don’t know about my family. They still treat me as if they do and there were only two people who ever treated me like I’m Jinyoung instead of Park Jinyoung. That’s you and Jaebum, I know that I’ll have to tell him one day. I just guess once I do I’m no longer just Jinyoung. I’m Park Jinyoung, heir to the Park corporations and sometimes I hate myself.

“I’m sure Jaebum won’t care, he always goes around complaining about your know it all and fake charming persona. I highly doubt that it will change if you tell about you.” Mark said.

“I know that but I think it more of the fact that I will finally have to accept that I’m Park Jinyoung. These are the last few years I get to be just Jinyoung. When I graduate I will take over my father's company and then I have let go of Jinyoung.” Jinyoung said as they reached his door.

Mark didn’t get it, Jinyoung was acting as if his life will end if he tells who he really his to his friends. Mark has lived his whole life with everyone knowing who he is and it never affected him. Mark had a chill and relaxed personality and his parents never pushed him into doing things he did want. His parent's most important thing was that their kids were happy and doing want the loved.

“You're being dramatic Jinyoung you are acting as if your life ends when people find out about your background,” Mark said not thinking this was a big deal as Jinyoung is making it be.

Jinyoung sighed, “You wouldn’t understand Hyung.” Jinyoung said sighing it was annoying him because Mark was obviously dismissing his feelings because anyone would say that he is rich and he making problems for himself. Jinyoung has had to deal with the whole 'because you're rich you shouldn’t complain because there are people with real problems' stigma all his life. The only reason he told Mark was that he thought at the very least Mark would understand what it is like to have that stigma.

“Seriously Jinyoung! We are in the same position, I have the same rich and famous last name that gives me the same stigma as you. Honestly, it isn't a big deal like you are making it out to be. You are still going to be you and you will still get live the same life.”

“No, no you aren’t in the same position. Let me tell you something hyung, from since I was young I wanted to be like my dad. I’ve been learning to take over my family’s business since I was a kid both of my parents trained me since I was small, my mom partnered with my dad’s company when they got married and when she decided to work from home they merged into one company. I’ve only ever wanted to be like my parents, who were both successful business people and still managed to be humble and kind people. However, taking over my parent’s company means I’ve bigger a responsibility and that I have to give up certain things. You may be a Tuan but you aren’t going to be 'the Tuan' that runs Park & Tuan with me. When your dad retires that leave me with not only my parents' company but your father’s company too. I can’t make a mistake or afford to be so casual and chill as you. I know that telling everyone will be the moment I become Park Jinyoung. That will also be when reality hits and I know that have my parents, your dad, and the worker of both companies to make proud and do right by. So while it may seem like a trivial thing to you, it isn’t to me. It may not make sense to you and I may not have to take on all those responsibilities yet. However, being Park Jinyoung holds a lot a weight, which I only have to think about when I have to attend a business meeting in place of my father or your dad. For now, that’s all I wanted it to be, you get to live any way you want and not have responsibilities because your parents take care of them for you, while you figure out your life. I don’t have that same luxury, I’ve taken on responsibilities since my mother died and now I’m in for more, it’s okay because that what chose but that doesn’t mean I’m not scared or worried about if I will do a good job. So, no, we aren’t in the same position and if we are trying to be friends I’ll let you know belittling my concerns or dismissing my issues isn’t the best start.” Jinyoung said trying to keep his annoyance from flaring up because Mark wasn’t trying to be an but he happens to just be really good at naturally coming off as one to Jinyoung.