Eleven

College Days

 

When Jinyoung was younger he had always known that he would take over his dad’s position, and he knew that it was a lot of responsibility. However, it wasn't until he got a bit older did he realize what his responsibility entailed. Whilst, his dad was in America and once Jinyoung entered high school both Mr. Tuan and his father gave him more responsibilities and he oversaw things in Korea for his father.

That was when Jinyoung was able to completely understand how much responsibility he held and how important his role will be. He will be overseeing everything and all important decisions needed his approval, and in order to teach him, his dad and Mr. Tuan left him on his own. They gave him a Spartan style training. At the time it became clearer to the board members of Mr. Park's company that Jinyoung was being trained to take over the company faster than they expected.

Some of his dad’s board members were unsure of Jinyoung ability to lead the company, they were fine with him taking over for his dad but they figured it would be later when he was a bit older. However, Jinyoung's freshman year in high school he helped his dad buy over a company to add to the Park & Tuan conglomerate. This business created need for a new department that Jinyoung’s dad put him in charge of. Jinyoung had to build and structure the department all on his own, creating job positions that were necessary for the department, hiring the staff, and fixing the faults in the company that just bought.

Jinyoung thought at that either his dad would have another department head looking over him or Mr.Tuan would look over him but realized otherwise, when the board called a meeting, after seeing no involvement from either CEOs or higher ranking employees. The board didn’t actually think that Mr. Park meant that Jinyoung was completely in charge, without any assistance when they first heard about this so they didn't raise any concerns over it. However, as smart as Jinyoung was, he was still a child and the board didn't want him to ruin this new venture, regardless of the fact that this was only possible because of Jinyoung’s involvement in the deal.

They hadn't expected that Mr. Park would really think this was a good idea, but at the very least they thought Mr. Tuan would be reasonable.

While it was Mr. Park’s company, the merger did give Mr. Tuan power to veto the decision and it would be turned to a board vote. However, apparently, Mr. Tuan was the one to suggest the idea and Mr. Park thought it was also a good idea. It was a lot of work for Jinyoung and he was nervous, that is when he learned that as a boss he had to delegate work to make the department work. This whole test was very successful but it was one of the most stressful experiences of Jinyoung’s life, it was also very eye-opening for Jinyoung.

When Jinyoung’s dad told him that he would be in charge of the structure of the department, he thought it would be a task but not the biggest one because it was an already established company so there would already be a solid foundation. Jinyoung realized quickly there was a lot of fundamental problems with the company and that he would have to restructure from scratch. It was a big learning experience. While working on the department Jinyoung saw all the flaws from the previous owners and was able to assess where they went wrong.

While the company was successful, it was stagnant, it had a peak point and the way it had been built made it so it couldn’t grow further. It wasn’t a lost cause Jinyoung found but he did have to do a whole rebranding and create a whole new system and train for all the previous employees. He had understood why his dad didn’t want to take the deal for the business originally. His dad told him that he didn’t agree with the decision to buy but he wanted to see if Jinyoung could change his mind so agreed.

Jinyoung realized while he saw the vision of the potential for the company at the time, he didn’t have his dad's experience to realize that it was badly managed and had no room for growth in its current state. When Jinyoung brought the projected estimate of the cost for the new department the board was livid at the cost. Granted it was less than all of the other budgets for all of their current departments, but the board members were not willing to give that amount of money to a 14-year-old boy.

If it was someone hired with a resume that could back up their plans they wouldn't have a problem. While Jinyoung did bring a well-constructed plan and projection for the department, they were skeptical because the projection seemed highly based on the potential that Jinyoung thought the company had, even Jinyoung’s dad didn’t believe that the company had that potential.

However, Jinyoung dad was treating Jinyoung as any other employee. While he didn’t agree with Jinyoung vision, he thought it was a learning experience either way for Jinyoung. Either he would succeed and the board will have confidence in Jinyoung or he'd fail and learn from his mistakes and have to work harder to gain the board’s trust. He gave Jinyoung the money because it was a good proposal and under budget.

Jinyoung succeeded but realized that, as much as a perfectionist he is, he couldn't control everything.

He had to delegate work to other people and finding the balance between being a nice and understanding boss, and efficient, the well-respected boss was impossible, especially for him given his age. He learned that being too nice wasn't effective and that being nice didn’t make him a better boss, to be a good boss he needed to be stern and objective, being sympathetic was different than being empathetic. He had to find the balance and deal with the fact that he wouldn't be able to please everyone and that he had to do what was best, even if it made others upset. He found that giving respect didn't always get you respect and he'd have to demand respect from his employees.

Another thing he learned was that finding the best person for the job didn’t always equate to having the most experience or most accolades, but that attitude and personality was also very important. He couldn't have an office full of sharks because then they wouldn’t be able to work together properly. He also realized there is no perfect person, he'd have to train his workers to get them to the standard that he wanted. This whole experience thought him the necessity for balance. However, balancing was subjective, he'd need to find it himself because there was no right equation.

The department was very successful and brought in five times more money than what Jinyoung had asked for and brought in twice the projected value that Jinyoung brought up in his proposal. The projected growth increased after testing phase, the board was very impressed but they still remained skeptical of Jinyoung. They were against the idea of Jinyoung taking over such important positions at his age, he was the product of his father and mother so business was in his blood and he had been training to take over or a while, but he was still a child and they didn’t agree with the timeline of things.

However, Jinyoung successfully ran the new department and under his management, the rebranded company’s value became worth 10 times more than it was at the time his father bought it. Jinyoung's face was never shown to the public but his name was well known for being the son and half heir to Park & Tuan conglomerate, even more so after this.

When he turned 16, his dad put him in charge of the Korean business and dealings as acting CEO in Korean. While his dad took care of the starting up the American branch. The Japan branch was all of Jinyoung’s decision made under his father position and so Jinyoung didn’t need to be approved or bring his decisions to the board.

The board tried calling a meeting and try to override Jinyoung as acting CEO, but when Jinyoung and his siblings were born they call got shares to the conglomerate. When Jinyoung's sisters refused a role in the company they gave up their shares to Jinyoung. Jinyoung shares plus his dad’s shares gave him equal footing with the rest of the board’s total overpowered, so the determining vote would be Mr. Tuan's. What the Board didn’t realize, because there was a separate board for Both Park corps and Tuan corps, was that Jinyoung was going to be the CEO of Tuan Corps also.

Mr. Tuan and Mr. Park were keeping it a secret, the employees heard rumors that Jinyoung was going to be the heir to Tuan Corps but was just a rumor, not confirmed to anyone outside the Park and Tuan families, no one outside of the company knew anything. Mr. Tuan and Mr. Park were always on the same page when it came to Jinyoung’s involvement, so Mr. Tuan was always on Jinyoung’s side when it came to decisions.

Jinyoung’s father was much tougher on him than Mr. Tuan, if Jinyoung couldn’t give a compelling proposal his dad would deny them. Although Mr. Park said he would treat Jinyoung as an employee, he treated Jinyoung harder than any of his employees. Mr. Park often allowed his higher ranking employees do what they pleased within their budget even if he didn’t agree they were hired for their judgment and they had to be mainly independent on themselves to make the best decision.

Jinyoung was his son and was extremely young, Mr. Park was harsh on him knowing the backlash and lack respect he was going to receive when he became CEO. He was extra hard on Jinyoung so the younger knew what to expect. Mr. Tuan was much different, he was on the other end of the spectrum. He trusts Jinyoung's decision no matter what. Jinyoung was capable and thought outside of the box, he brought perspective neither Mr. Tuan and Mr. Park had.

Mr. Park scrutinized Jinyoung to the T and made sure the younger completely confident in his decisions, and then he gave his approval, based on physical evidence rather than his trust in his son. Mr. Tuan was different, once you proved yourself to him, he will trust your decisions regardless of his personal opinions. He trusted Jinyoung and Jinyoung’s judgment and therefore he trusted Jinyoung’s decisions. They both had two different views, which is why most people thought business wise they wouldn’t be compatible.

Mr. Park believes that discipline and thoroughness was key to success if your plan is well-thought-out and researched than your outcome will be reflective of it. While Mr. Tuan believed if you get the job done then whichever method you use is your choice, the process was as set as long as the outcome was successful.

Interesting enough Jinyoung was like a bridge between the two radical viewpoints of the CEOs. He was very detailed and thorough, but thought outside the box and approached each decision and each problem with a clear mindset. Jinyoung was very calm under pressure and thrived in high tension and stressful situations. Jinyoung exceeded both Mr. Tuan and Mr. Park expectations and worked very diligently.

Even at such a young age, he showed that he was on par with experienced, high ranking employees of both corps. When he graduated high school Mr. Tuan put him in as acting co CEO of his Japanese branch also, seeing as Jinyoung was already there on holidays and went once a month for his dad. It was also to show Mr.Tuan’s board members Jinyoung’s capabilities. Of course, Mr. Tuan didn’t need his board members permission seeing as his vote with Mr. Park's overpowered the board members' votes. However, he did want the transition from Jinyoung to CEO won’t be that much opposed because of his young age.

Jinyoung knew his dad wanted him to take over completely when he graduated it became increasingly apparent as he started to get more and more responsibility. He was basically at the point of running his dad’s Corp, his dad is already having to do all the work for the Korea and Japan branch, it’s just that he still has the title of acting CEO so publicly everything is done under his father’s name publicly. His dad even has him helping with the development of the America branch. However, word had gotten around from deals with other big companies that got the press to know that he is working a high ranking position.

The conglomerate, for the most part, was keeping it a secret that Jinyoung was working as acting CEO because then they would figure out he was going to be CEO faster than everyone anticipated. Nobody wanted that information out before Jinyoung took over because their competitors will use it as an excuse that the company is losing power and try to spin it, so possible business opportunities would be compromised. By having people think the conglomerate isn't as capable with a young person working as boss.

As much as Mr. Park’s and Mr. Tuan’s board members think they aren't thinking about the effect of Jinyoung’s age, the two CEOs were. The reason they had Jinyoung start so young and pushed him so hard was to measure the time frame of when they will be able to announce their retirements.

What nobody knows is that both CEOs were ready to focus on their families. After the death of Jinyoung’s mother, it opened not only Mr. Park’s eyes but also Mr. Tuan’s eyes. Jinyoung’s dad was lucky in the sense that his wife was a businesswoman and they merged the companies to be a big one. So regardless of the fact she chose to stay at home with the kids, she didn’t stop work. She just gave up her title her husband and they worked closely together. Which is why Jinyoung was perfect for the job because he learned from his mom at home before he went to his dad’s company to learn.

Mr. Tuan wasn’t as lucky in that aspect, he and his wife had two different roles. Mrs. Tuan was an actually stay home mom because she and Mr. Tuan had kids very earlier, she gave up having a career to take care of her children. Her husband's business was his dream and all his time would be devoted to growing it, so she knew she couldn’t work because the money would be tight until the business worked out. She was a very supportive wife and went all in with her husband, she made sure to hold down their home and kids, as her husband lived out his dream. Which is why he wanted to retire earlier after the tragedy of Mrs. Park’s passing At least, Mr. Park had time with his wife, unlike him. Mr. Park had little interaction with his daughters though and that’s why he wanted to retire earlier. They have both fulfilled their dreams and aspirations, and the only dream they have now is to spend time with their family.

That is actually another reason why they both want Jinyoung to get his position at such a young age. They didn’t want him having to neglect his family like them, Jinyoung had his dad’s drive and passion, and it was perfect for being the CEO of their conglomerate. However, he was just like his mother he had her warmth and natural mothering instinct. That also equipped him with the ability to be an amazing father, a better one than they were. They didn’t want his drive or passion to overtake those wonder personality aspects about him. The younger he achieve his goals, the earlier he will be able to realize the importance and gratification the love of a having his own family will bring.

Mr. Park was sitting in the Tuan residence in the study with Mr. Tuan, as they reminisced of Jinyoung’s involvement in both of their companies. Mr. Park had flown in from America today and Mr. Tuan personally went to the airport for him. The college that Jinyoung and Mark went was the same one that their parents met at, all four parents were alumnae. It was the 30th anniversary of their graduation from their so they had actually planned to go the alumni day this year. They went all when for their 10th and 20th year anniversaries, but they were usually too busy attend it annually.

“Jinyoung has been doing very well in your absence, the board on your side has gotten a sense of how reliable he has been. However, they have been giving him hard time, Mr. Jang in particular but he had always been reluctant to most of your decision over the past years. I do have a feeling that is just because after your two daughters chose not to involve themselves in the company Jinyoung was too young to be the new CEO. I think he is still upset you put me in charge when you took a leave of absence instead of his son” Mr. Tuan said to Mr. Park.

“Well you know Minsoo, he has always been trying to get more power in the conglomerate. He is far different from his father, it was a shame when he passed, and even more of a shame that he left his shares as a board member to his son-in-law instead of his grandson. Wooyoung is such as great employee and is a perfect right-hand man, he very unlike his father, thank god for his mother.”

“Hyunmin-ah, I’m serious about Minsoo. I think his greed is getting worse and I don’t think he’ll let Jinyoung become CEO so easily.” Mr. Tuan said with a concerned look on his face.

“Raymond, I know Minsoo very well. I have been dealing with keeping him in line for a while.”

“Yes, but that is different than this, the Board has trust in you. Jinyoung is a different story. Minsoo has probably already painted him as just an entitled, chaebol that is coming into a company his father built without having to work his way up. This is both Soeun’s and yours legacy, pride and joy that Minsoo is gunning after.”

“Jinyoung will have his and his sister's combined shares and both of ours, it will be enough to overpower the board even if Minsoo tries to get them to think Jinyoung is too young. Plus, that’s why we have been training Jinyoung so young, that way he proves his capabilities and he has exceeded our expectations. Imagine how much he has exceeded theirs, Jinyoung is much more level headed and politically correct than me at that age. He has my self-discipline and his mother’s aura. Minsoo will lose if he tries to turn the board against Jinyoung, and Minsoo knows that, that is why he is making a big deal about Jinyoung at every turn.”

Raymond sighed, “That I know and that wasn’t the pride and joy I was talking about. Since probably the age of 16, Jinyoung had already charmed most of the board. My own board is completely charmed by him, they may be wary when I bring up him as my successor but he can easily sway them. His resume is amazing and his charm is deadly. I’m worried about Minsoo’s greed, what if he changes his tactics? As amazing as Jinyoung is and mature, he is young and he is only turning 21 this year. There are many ways to compromise Jinyoung’s credibility, ways that more hurtful to Jinyoung than trying to snake the board into vetoing everything he does.”

Raymond was more concerned at about Jinyoung and if Minsoo tries to mess with the young boy in other aspects of his life. Jinyoung was his best friend's son but he loves all of Hyunmin’s and Soeun’s children, as did his wife but Jinyoung was different. Jinyoung was the spitting image of his mother, he had some of his dad's features but his personality was more like his mother’s and his face was pretty for a boy, he had mother’s eyes and heart.

Raymond loved his best friend but Hyunmin was a Busan male, and he had the brusque personality, with his daughters he was sweeter but Jinyoung was a boy and he tried to raise Jinyoung tough especially when his mother died. Raymond and his wife, Dorine, always worried about Jinyoung after his mother died he was so small and was mama’s boy. Jinyoung loved his dad but he and mom were soulmates.

They truly believed that Jinyoung and his mom had a special connection. When his mother fell sick Raymond remembers Jinyoung worrying about his mom before she was diagnosed. As if he could feel she was in trouble but his parents thought he was just being a worry wart. When she got sick Jinyoung begged Raymond and Dorine to get her to go to the doctor he was really worried, but his parents and everyone thought it was a flu because she did have bad symptoms.

He was able to get Raymond and Dorine convinced Hyunmin to take Soeun to the hospital because of how worried Jinyoung was. None of them thought it was serious but seeing how distressed Jinyoung was they went to just pacify him and put his worries to rest. She did a regular work up but Jinyoung wasn't happy, so they went to the hospital until they did a full work up after the doctor told them it was just the flu. Jinyoung was so persistence that they decided if they did a full work the boy will see nothing is wrong.

Unfortunately, Jinyoung's feeling was right and they sadly lost Soeun, the Tuans were worried about how Jinyoung would react because of how distress he got when he thought something was wrong with his mom.

They all had always joked how Jinyoung was basically a mini Soeun but they really saw it when his mother died, how in sync with his mother he really was. Jinyoung became the glue that held his family together, he took the role his mother played. He looked after his dad and sisters, even cooking them their meals. Which is why Hyunmin was okay leaving Jinyoung his own and he figured it would be another way to toughen him up, plus Raymond and Dorine lived next door.

Raymond though always suspected that Hyunmin purposefully kept Jinyoung at distance, the difference in how he treated his daughters and Jinyoung was very apparent. It was more than just a gender thing. Hyunmin always said that he had to make sure Jinyoung prepared to be CEO and that he was better off than his sister after Soeun’s death. However, Raymond knows Hyunmin loves Jinyoung but he doesn't show how to the younger.

Hyunmin finally dropped the casual tone he had been using.

“Jinyoung is stronger, much strong than I was. He will need to experience things and me protecting him from everything will be a disservice and will handicap is truer abilities.” Hyunmin told Raymond seriously.

“Jinyoung is an image of you he may have your manly features now but his personality and face are Soeun’s. We always said Jinyoung was her soulmate after he was born you saw the connection the two of them had. I never thought I could see Soeun in an even brighter light than I already did, but Jinyoung gave her a new purpose after giving up her company. There was a new fire in her and it burned brighter than when she worked on her company. Jinyoung was as in sync with her as well, Soeun always knew what to do, one of her smiles and hugs were like your kryptonite. You may have two Princesses but Jinyoung was the one who’s smile and hugs that always de-stressed you, just like his mother.” Raymond said looking sympathetically at his dearest friend.

“Why are you telling me this Raymond?” Hyunmin said but the force used to sound even was very apparent.

“You know why,” Raymond said giving him a knowingly look.

“No, I don’t. My daughters took Soeun’s death harder they needed me more at the moment, Jinyoung was stronger.” Hyunmin said sympathetically.

“Yes, and No. They did need you more at the moment because Jinyoung was your glue. He is why your family got through Soeun’s passing. However, you are wrong about who took it harder, your daughters were more emotional with their grief. Jinyoung was the one who took it the hardest out of all you. Jinyoung kept it together because if he didn’t you’d fall apart and so would your daughters, even we would have fallen apart but Jinyoung was the reason all of us were able to move on. He and Soeun shared a soul, we could feel his aura and the comfort he gave, and it was just like Soeun. He, on the other hand, didn’t have that after she passed. You know I wasn't attacking you for your choices, you did what you had to do.”

“No! You are giving me too credit. Soeun and Jinyoung would know what you mean but not me they are the reasonable ones, they are better halves, and you’ll have to tell me.” Hyunmin said losing his composure because went it came to the love of his life and his son he had raw emotions that contrasted his personality.

Raymond felt bad for doing this to his friend but Jinyoung was the one who needed to his protection. He knew Jinyoung will always be there to protect his dad, but his dad wasn't capable of taking care Jinyoung emotionally that is what made him and Soeun a great team. However hearing Hyunmin’s answer, his suspicions were confirmed,

“He is the spitting image of her and embodies her and they may even have had shared the same soul but he isn’t Soeun. You have to stop looking at him like he is, he is strong like her but he needs you just like she did too. He is barely 21, he is still young and he's your son he needs his dad. I know it is hard to look at him and be around him because he is so much like Soeun but he needs his father now the girls are okay. However, you and Jinyoung not okay, he worries about all the time just like his mother. He knows you love him but he needs you to be there for him. I’m not saying leave the girls because he can be on his own but you need to call him for things other than the business you need to visit him. He’ll only stay worried if he can’t assure that you are okay.”

Hyunmin dropped his defenses, this was Raymond he didn't need to pull a brave face, “That’s not it, well that's part of it but that not the whole reason why I keep the distance.”

Raymond was confused, he gave his friend question glance.

“He reminds me so much of his mother, it used to hurt me before because it was so hard losing her. You were right he is the only reason I could get through it for a while and he was the only reason I could get up in the morning. He was definitely her soulmate and he was my comfort. His sisters left because being around him was hard because all they saw was their mother but he was also the reason they able to get through. Whenever things got tough they thought of their baby brother and how they needed being strong for him and he always knew anytime he talked to him if they were upset or sad. I left because the girls needed me and because I was being selfish.”

“What do you mean?”

“I did everything for the girls and treated them softer because I was so guilty they didn't have their mother, it is so hard for them not to have a mom. However, I was most guilt to Jinyoung, I know it hit him hard. The light in his eyes whenever he was with his mother, it was so blinding. The two them, it felt wrong to intrude on them when they would be together because you could sense the bond they had. When she died I never saw that light ever again in his eyes, when it came business I see the gleam in his eyes but it never reaches the brightness they had when he was with mother. Raymond, he told us, all of us, he begged pleaded for us to help Soeun and even she didn't listen. I've had never seen Jinyoung act that way ever.”

“Hyunmin-ah” Raymond called out as he heard his friend choke up.

“No, he was distressed and his face was pained as he begged us. He cried and that is the only time I’ve seen him cry like that, even at his mother funeral he didn't cry that badly. That’s the only reason we went to the hospital. Only after he cried as if he was in so much pain just for her to go to the hospital. He waited for me after work that day you know. He ran to me and collapsed in front of me. He bawled and begged me, ‘Appa! Appa! Please save umma! Please something is wrong!’”

Raymond felt himself tear up as he saw his friend's emotion pouring through his voice.

“I ran and she was fine, and I yelled at him and told his mom is fine. I told him he was making his mom stress by doing this, that we are the parents and we are the one who takes care of him, not the other way around. I told him that everything was fine the doctor said so, he told no it is it. I got so frustrated neither of us knew what to do, He asked me why I didn't love Soeun and why I didn't want her to die. I lost my temper with him then.”

“Oh, Hyunmin you didn’t hit him did you?” Raymond asked as his tears fell.

Hyunmin shook his head no, “No, worse! I yelled and told him that he was making his mom sick by acting out. He stopped and he looked at me, and that was the first time my heart broke. He looked at me and asked if he was why his mom was sick and if he was killing his mom.”

Hyunmin’s tears finally fell and Raymond tear continued too, “I lost all frustration in that moment and hugged him, Soeun came too and he hugged and reassure him she wasn't sick but he was so set on her being sick. We were so scared that something was wrong with him mentally. He told me that his heart was hurting every second because something is wrong with Soeun and he is sorry he isn’t a good boy that he wishes was smarter so he could tell us what exactly was wrong. Soeun cried she didn’t know what was wrong with him and finally, we just went to the hospital and made the deal. If we did this and he’d let this go after the hospital tells us everything is perfectly fine.”

“Oh Hyunmin-ah, you didn't know.”

“That’s it! I didn’t but he did. I told him that we’d take care of him, he didn't need to worry, I yelled at him and told him he was stressing his mom and that will make her ick. He looked at me devastated he thought was killing Soeun because of me.” Hyunmin cried out.

Raymond rush to his friend, “You didn’t mean it that way, you guys couldn't have known it was cancer.”

“Every time I look him and see Soeun my heartaches but it is also comforted. Then I see Jinyoung and see the face he had when he begged me to save his mother and asking if he was killing Soeun. The guilt rushes to me, why should I take the comfort he gives me after all I did to him. That’s my son and he begged me to save his mother and I couldn’t. I distance myself because he deserves better than me and every time I look at him I see it.

“See what?”

“I see the pain he went through because I was stressed; because I was so fixated on work that I didn’t think about my 8-year-old son’s feelings. I never forget Jinyoung’s age because of that day I never forget. I put him through all these tests and push his limits because he is young; because I forgot how young he was that day. He has always been so mature and smart that I forgot in my frustrated state that my son was a kid and no matter how mature he was, he was still 8.”

“Hyunmin you can’t do this to yourself. The doctors to-“

“I told my 8-year-old son he was stressing his mom and that will make her sick. I expected because of his matureness and intelligence that he would understand the context of my words. He didn’t, he thought that he was killing his own mother and that look he had, and those strangled, pained cries he had were the most heartbreaking thing I’ve ever seen and heard.”

Raymond looked at his friend he didn’t know what to say to that if he had seen any of his kids like and ask him that he couldn’t imagine how he’d react.

“I’ve dealt with Soeun’s death, I got to love her for years and I have 3 beautiful children because of our life together. My daughters got a whole childhood with their mother, they won’t have her at their wedding but their dad will walk them down the aisle. Jinyoung lost the last years of his childhood, he had to become an adult after her death because he had to make sure his sisters and I were okay. I look at him and see all of that, I look at him and see how amazing he had grown up on his own. He is a much better person than me, he is a much better person than most people.”

“Hyunmin, Jinyoung doesn’t blame you, even if you and Soeun listened to him it wouldn’t have changed her diagnosis. She would have still been terminal and she would’ve still died, Jinyoung knows that. You need to forgive yourself, he lost his mom and you are taking away his dad because you think he would be better off without you. You don’t think you deserve the comfort he gives but he needs to know that you’re okay and he is helping you. Listen, I’m not going to pretend I know Jinyoung better than you do, you’re his father you will always do what is best for him. However, I do know his personality very well, and I do he does resent you, it is the opposite he loves you very much. All I’m saying is make sure you actually see him before you go back and see him when you go to his school, you miss him. Stop torturing yourself because you torture him too. You may not think you deserve his comfort but he certainly doesn't deserve the distance from his father because you are guilty.”