Ten

College Days

Youngjae standing in a pile of clothes there was also clothes cast astray throughout his room. There was a sweater on his lamp and a couple pairs of jeans on his bed, even couple of dress shirts randomly, in different corners of the room.

Youngjae had started to call Jinyoung for help but ended up stopping himself because he didn’t want to interrupt Jinyoung and Mark. Everyone wanted Mark and Jinyoung to be on good terms, so they can all hang out together without it being awkward. Although he was freaking out and he needed Jinyoung’s help, but he figured he needed to be independent.

“I have nothing to wear!!!” Youngjae groaned at his closet, 2/3 of it was either in pile next to his feet or scattered around the room. “Ugh!!!!!” Youngjae groaned and fell face first into his bed. Just his luck, he got a date with the man of his dreams and he had literally nothing to wear.

Youngjae considered suffocating himself with a pillow but it didn’t really go well because someone decided to knock on his dorm door. Youngjae pulled himself up and decided to put off suffocating himself until he answered his door.

As he opened his door, red hair soon came into his vision, “Bambam?”

Bambam walked into in his dorm letting himself in, “Hey, hyung.”

Youngjae didn’t even bother pointing out the lack of manners the younger displayed, sometimes he just believed the Thai boy was incorrigible.

“Not that I don’t like having you around, but why exactly are you here?” Youngjae asked the longer Bambam was here, the longer it took Youngjae suffocate himself before his date.

“I will ignore the offense in that comment and Yugyeom is on a date with Jungkook, but he is calling just them studying. However, he dressed up in clothes we just bought today and kicked me out our room, so a date. Jaebum hyung is still kind of mad at me and Jackson hyung because of the whole getting him banned from a restaurant, so I can’t go to him. Plus, I don’t know if he and Jinyoung hyung are back from there ‘date’,” Bambam said.

Youngjae flinched up at the word date, but not for the reason for Bambam assumed. Bambam sighed, “Hyung, you know Jinyoung hyung and Jaebum hyung are just friends right?”

“Yeah, I know.”

Then stop flinching at the word date it’s just a friend date, seeing as both of us are not doing anything we can go on a date and you can see the difference.” Bambam said rolling his eyes.

“Uh, I can’t I have a date and not I’m upset about Jinyoung hyung and Jaebum hyung anymore. Mark hyung help me realize I was being a bit illogical” Youngjae said still uneased.

“WHAT?! You have an actual date? Wait a minute! Who asked you out?! You actually said yes?! I thought you were head over heels for Jaebum hyung?!” Bambam asked shocked. Honestly, he had no hope for Youngjae or Yugyeom getting a date or boyfriend before his group of friends, because they were the most cautious and sensitive out of the whole group at least when it came to feelings and dating.

“You’re asking too many questions at one time and Jaebum hyung asked me on a date today.” Youngjae said his voice getting lower at the end, that Bambam could’ve missed it. However, the younger didn’t and for once since Youngjae has known the younger, he was speechless.

Youngjae wasn’t surprised because even he, himself was in shock. When he first grasped the situation between him Jaebum.

Bambam finally got himself composed, "Jaebum hyung asked you on a date? Like as in Im Jaebum, Jackson’s hyung roommate, and Jinyoung hyung’s best friend? That Im Jaebum?” Bambam asked for clarification.

“Yes, that Im Jaebum the one I have had a crush on for two years, the same one who scolded me earlier today. Is that enough clarification for you because I already know how crazy it sounds for him to ask out me. I’m way below is level,” Youngjae said remembered he was trying to suffocate himself before he even has a chance to embarrass himself on the date.

Bambam looked at the nervous wreck in front of him and he felt bad for making it seem like he was insinuating that he was not good enough for Jaebum.

“Youngjae hyung, that isn’t what I meant. I was just clarifying because I was surprised that he could actually figure out that you liked him without you having to tell him. I mean he isn’t dumb like Yugyeom and Jackson hyung, but with all the lovesick, puppy eyes, you have been giving him since you met him. I figured he was dense when it came to these types of things, not that you aren’t a great person.” Bambam said trying to clarify his statement, for once he wasn’t actually trying to be offensive or direct.

Youngjae smiled at the younger to let him know that he wasn’t offended. “It’s okay, I just nervous and I have no idea what to wear. I’ve been going crazy, he is supposed to pick me up at 7 and I don’t know what do with myself. Plus, it was basically Jinyoung hyung giving subtle-ish hints that he caught on and then when he made a guess, Jinyoung hyung told the truth.”

“Of course, I really don’t know what all of you would do without Jinyoung hyung,” Bambam said as if Jinyoung didn’t do a lot for him also but Youngjae kept that to himself, it was best to indulge Bambam from time to time. There was no reason of picking useless fights with the younger, he would fight till the end even if he is wrong. Actually, he’ll fight harder when he realizes he is wrong, just not lose a verbal fight.

“Anyways, let me help you. You and Yugyeom are really alike sometimes. I’m sure you have something to wear, you are just freaking out.” Bambam said walking into Youngjae’s room.

Youngjae let him and then belated remembered the state of his room, but by the time he called out for the younger to wait.

It was too late the younger had already entered the room.

“Oh my god! Why does your room look like your closet exploded? I don’t know if I want this to be how your room normally looks or a result of your nervousness for your date.” Bambam said not entirely sure which of the two were worse. Either Youngjae was a slob or his anxiety cause more problem to him than just being a constant panic state.

“Ah, yeah, I kind of freaked out trying to find something to wear,” Youngjae said sheepishly and embarrassed that he was showing his dongsaeng this side of himself. It would be a little bit better if it was Yugyeom because at least he was less judgmental, in comparison to his best friend.

“Well that figures, anyway seeing as most of your closet is flung about your room. We need to organize your clothes if I’m going to be of any help.” Bambam said sighing, Youngjae was probably worse than Yugyeom.

The two of them began cleaning up the clothes around the room and packing them back in the closet. Bambam set aside article of clothing that he deemed possibly fit for Youngjae's date.


Jaebum was surfing his phone for the dog café Jinyoung recommended and a place for dinner. He didn’t really tell Youngjae what type of place to dress for so he probably should pick a fancy place for dinner. However, he didn’t want to pick a normal everyday place for dinner because it was the first date.

Although Jinyoung said he didn’t have to worry too much or try too hard. Youngjae had liked him for two years he did want to live up to some expectation the younger must’ve had. Plus, this was his first every date, so he wanted to put effort into it. If the two ended up having a good time then it will be fine to have normal coffee dates and regular dinner later on.

However, Jaebum did want the two of them to have the first time dating experience, much to everyone’s depictions of Jaebum he was actually not as chic as he comes off as. Jaebum was actually a romantic and it showed in both his music and movie choices. Jinyoung was the only one that who knew that Jaebum never really liked to admit that he was a romantic.

It is funny though that was another reason why Jaebum called his best friend fake. Jinyoung was empathetic and understood other people’s emotions well; but he rarely showed genuine emotions other than being upset, happy, or complacent, and when he did it was also at a surface level. Jinyoung always said like to quote Shrek, “an onion, you have to peel one layer at a time.” People thought Jinyoung was more romantic because of his ‘Sweet guy’ look, while Jaebum’s “chic and y look’ made his image as a tough, bad boy, but it was the opposite.

Jaebum decided on upscale casual BBQ place, so if Youngjae dressed casually it wouldn’t be a problem. He was waiting to use the bathroom seeing as Jackson has been in there since he got back. He figured something was up seeing that his roommate was taking a long shower. Jackson only took longer showers when he needed to think which actually wasn’t often, there could be a joke or insult thrown, that boy didn’t think but that really wasn’t the case.

Jackson was actually a very thoughtful person but mostly he just goes with feelings and impulse when it came to his actions. It is only when he has to make decisions that affect other people and decisions that he could go either way on, did he really give thought too.

Jackson is a very sensitive person and is very cautious with other people’s feeling, more time the took the thought process of what he should do does more damage to the boy than the actual outcome of his decision. Jaebum is not a pusher nor does he have to be when it came to Jackson, so he didn’t worry too much about the other. He’d either make a decision or come to Jaebum or Mark if he was really stuck.

Jaebum looked up from his phone as he heard the bathroom door open, Jackson came out in a towel. “AHHHH!” Jackson screamed, not realizing that Jaebum came back. Jaebum cringed at the loudness of the scream. Jackson put his hand to his heart, “Hyung! You can’t just sneak up on people like this!” Jackson said calming down his heartbeat.

“This is my dorm. Actually, it was my dorm first. I didn’t not sneak, you were in the shower for quite a while. I would ask but obviously, you still haven’t figured out what you’re going to do seeing as you didn’t notice me as you came out the bathroom. So, I’ll wait till you tell me because I have a date and I really don’t want to go through this whole routine of you telling me nothing's wrong.” Jaebum as he went into the bathroom.

Jackson will tell Jaebum if it is important and when he decided on what he will do. There was no point for Jaebum push or put him through the dramatics that normally came along with Jackson’s. Jackson sighed, if Jaebum could tell something is up then and Mark will definitely know.


 

Jinyoung didn’t know what he expected from Mark but this isn’t wasn’t what he expected. If the younger was being honest, this was certainly the opposite of what he had hoped for. There was a time when Jinyoung had hoped he and Mark could just be friends again, and go back to their previous relationship. However, as Jinyoung got older he realized that it was just wishful thinking. He didn’t know what happened in the first place and Mark hadn't seemed keen on telling him anything either.

Anyway, Jinyoung had become familiar and used to the new Mark or at least the change their relationship. In a way, Jinyoung figured despite the fact he lost a person he trusted, he did gain away to get over his romantic feeling or the older boy.

Although that never quite worked out for Jinyoung, he got over his puppy dog looks and the personality change that he usually had when he was younger around Mark. He never got rid of his feelings as he hoped but he did learn to manage them much better. He learned not look after Mark as he used to, not to stare like he used to, not be as hyper-aware of Mark’s presence as he once was. His heart used to beat faster around Mark and at some point, it stopped, and Jinyoung had tried to convince himself that he stopped his feelings for the older boy. That wasn’t the case, the thing about being able to control his emotions, it made Jinyoung more self-aware about his emotions. He knew he wasn't over what he felt for Mark, he had just learned to deal with the new relationship they had. He accepted that was how his relationship with Mark would be from now on, and acknowledge that there was no hope Mark could ever feel that way for him.

Jinyoung wanted Mark to give up on having a better relationship with him, Jinyoung lied to Mark. He said he didn’t know if he could trust Mark again because he wanted to make things difficult for Mark. Things came easy to Mark, all his life and when things came to handle, complicated, or difficult the older lost interest or gave up. Jinyoung thought if he made things difficult for Mark, the older would give up because if Mark tried to fix their relationship, Jinyoung would easily forgive him and trust just as easily again.

Jinyoung was logically and realistic that is why both his dad and Mark’s dad trusted him to run both companies. Jinyoung as logical as he was, he equally as empathetic which made him the best at making decisions that both worked for business and the employees who would work under him. Though when it came to Mark the clear lines in his mind blurred and became biased. Mark was variable that Jinyoung couldn’t account for.

Jinyoung never thought it was a problem when he was younger, but now he knew there were other ways that Mark could hurt him than just not returning his feelings. He had never let it show before, but it hurt when Mark cut him out it hurt so much. The scary thing about Mark’s promise was that Jinyoung felt his heart speed up again. After so many years he forgot how it felt, the rush of excitement and nervousness, it made him feel like a teenage boy again. That wasn’t a good thing. Jinyoung had more responsibilities and he couldn’t risk getting hurt by Mark again.

He couldn't hide his feelings but the lines were still blurred when it came to Mark. Jinyoung acted differently when it came to Mark, the elder brought out some sides of himself that Jinyoung didn’t like. Jinyoung’s judgment becomes less clear and less objective, he couldn’t risk that affecting his judgment in other aspects of his life.

Jinyoung really wanted Mark to give up because if he didn’t that meant Jinyoung would have to make the decision to cut out Mark, completely.