Chapter 1: Pre- Masquerade

Melting Your Icy heart

 In a far away land, night was beginning to fall. Lorgani castle was bustling with preparation for the masquerade ball that evening. In a candle-lit room a young maiden was slowly re-arranging her hair into a loose bun. She fastened a gold clip into her hair as she paused to stare at her reflection. She wore a navy blue off the shoulder gown with a gold pendant. As she was tucking  loose strands of hair several knocks came from her door.

"Jessica. Are you ready?" asked a deep, gentle voice.

"Ready as I ever will be, father," She said sarcastically sliding her shoes on.

The door creaked open as King Junghoon, dressed in all black holding a box behind his back. He noticed his daughter staring at her reflection with blank eyes. He sighed and walked over to her.

"My dear daughter. You cannot send every suitor away. It breaks my heart to hear what people say about you."

"Let them say whatever they want. Those suitors were arrogant, egotistical pigs who couldn't even have a conversation. All they could do was to leave their mouths open and have flies come in!" she huffed as she folded her arms. 

"Some of them were to my liking and you turned them down. Plus, your suitors wanted to take in your beauty for the first time because you are your mother's daughter". Junghoon laughed sadly as he sat down on his daughter's bed.

Jessica sat down next to him "Father, I do not wish to marry. Yet why do you push me?"

Junghoon took her hands in his and looked into her eyes. "My dear child, life is too short. Who knows when I am not going to be here on this earth. All I want to know is that you and your sister will be in good hands. Please do this for me."

"Drama Queen" Jessica muttered under her breath.

"Or you know we can always go back to my way which means I select the suitor."

Jessica slit her eyes "That will quite be alright father. The masquerade tonight will determine my fate," she said cooly.

"Not without a mask. Close your eyes"

Jessica rolled her eyes and shut her eyelids. Junghoon opened up the box picking up the mask. He ties the mask and leads Jessica to her vanity. 

"Open your eyes"

She slowly opened her eyes and gasped. The mask was made with navy blue mesh lace shaped into a butterfly. 

"Thank you, father it is beautiful." She curtsied to him.

"I am glad you like it. Now hurry. The ball will be starting soon and I have to get ready to welcome the guests."

Junghoon gave Jessica  a kiss on her forehead and left the room. She looked back at her reflection saying, "I will never fall in love so easily."