The Guardian

All About You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Later on when he recalled the incident, Suho couldn’t remember exactly how he took his car and got to the hospital, or how he ran to the Emergency Room and started frantically looking for her.

Somehow, he was grabbing the very first nurse his eyes landed on, as soon as he entered the ER.

“Jeong Ara,” he was panting her name out. “The girl brought just a while ago from a traffic accident. Where is she?”

“Oh the taxi accident?” the nurse asked. “That way sir. They’re waiting for her guardian to arrive.”

Suho ran along the passage the nurse had shown, and realized that the short passage ended in the emergency operation theatre. A nurse was standing outside, as if waiting for him to arrive. “Jeong Ara.” He gave his name again, and the nurse nodded and held out a document on a clipboard. “She’s ready for the surgery. We just need a guardian’s consent. But what’s your relationship to her sir?” she asked, still holding the clipboard and a pen towards him.

“What has happened to her?” Suho asked, trying to peer into the operation theatre. “She’s not badly hurt...is she?”

“Her right arm is broken sir. Other than that she’s fine. The nerves of the arm seem to be damaged a bit badly. That’s why a quick surgery is needed.”

Suho had already snatched the pen away from her hand and started filling in the form. “What’s your relationship to her, may I ask?”

“Her boss.” He scribbled his signature at the end of the page and looked up. “Her family is not in Seoul so I’m her guardian. Proceed with the surgery please.”

 

* * * * * * * *

 

“This is bad...we can’t be roaming around Hongdae like this when we have a whole day worth of shooting tomorrow as well.” Sehun chuckled, walking out of the karaoke the four young actors had gone in for the third round after dinner. Jaeyeong sighed, watching the young actor struggling to open to door of his own car. “First unlock the car you dumbo! Plus how are you gonna drive sitting at the back seat? Yah Oh Sehun! That’s the back seat door you idiot!”

“Then open the right one for me!” Sehun stomped with a pout, and turned to Kai and Sooa who were also getting into their own cars. “You two. Tell this one to take me home. I don’t want a designated driver.”

“Yeah Jaeyeong,” Sooa nodded in agreement. “You were gonna take a cab anyways. So why don’t you take his car instead?”

“Ugh...whatever.” the young actress shook her head, and walked up to the gleaming new car to snatch the key from Sehun’s hand. “We’ll be off then. See you guys tomorrow...good night Sooa, and Kai-ssi too!”

Kai waved in reply, and watched with a smirk as Sehun was shoved into the back seat of his own car and being drove off by Jaeyeong. After they had left the car park, Sooa turned back to the rookie actor. “Wish Ara unnie could join us too.”

“She’s like that...always running home early after dinners just to revise her writing.” Kai shrugged in reply. “Not even after dinners, she’ll leave any important event and run home if a good plot pops up in her head... Whatever, let’s meet tomorrow then.”

Just as he flashed one of his rare smiles towards the girl, his phone started ringing in his hand. “It’s your brother.” He looked at the screen and looked back at Sooa with widened eyes.

“Oppa?” Sooa blinked in confusion. “At this time? Answer and see Kai.”

 

“Yes Mr. Kim.”

“Aren’t you Jeong Ara’s manager?”

Shocked by the enraged voice of the CEO, Kai blinked back at Sooa. “What’s wrong Mr. Kim?”

“Now you’re an actor, you duties as her manager are long gone aren’t they Kim Kai?”

Getting more confused, Kai was losing his patience as well. “Will you clearly state if there’s any problem Mr. Kim?”

“Ara was in an accident! Was taken to the hospital and they’ve called you dozens of times because you’re her goddamn most frequent contact! WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU ALL THE TIME KAI?”

“ARA WAS WHAT?” Kai’s voice raised enough to eco inside the car park, making Sooa gasp in shock as well. “Is she badly hurt? Where is she now?”

 

 

Within a few minutes, both Kai and Sooa came running to the operation theatre where the surgery was still under process. Suho was sitting by the nearest chair to the door, leaning with his elbows on his knees, and eyes blankly fixed on the wall opposite.

“Oppa!”

His sister’s voice made his head raise. And the sight of Kai made his jaws tighten, but he remained on his seat until the younger male ran to him. “Is she still in? How bad is the injuries?” he asked, panting hard as he came to a stop.

“After trying to reach you for more than ten times, they called me because I was the next on her call logs!” Suho replied, glaring up at him. “God knows why she calls you her manager...had so much fun going drinking around didn’t you?”

“I asked what happened to her!” Kai raised his voice again in fury. “I know I was careless! She left us saying she’s going home early and she wasn’t even drunk! So who’d think something like this would happen?”

After shooting him another blazing glare, Suho got up from the chair and walked up to the closed operation theatre door. Sooa decided to approach him, and gently placed his hand on his arm. “Oppa...”

 

“Her arm is broken.” He muttered after a while of silence. “Pretty badly they said. It’ll be okay but will take some time I assume.”

“How is she gonna write then?” Kai muttered, running a hand through his hair. Suho turned around again, giving him another furious glare. “Is writing the most important this here? Is writing the only important thing about Ara to you Kai? She said you’re his best friend.”

“Of course it the most important thing Mr. CEO.” Kai walked up to him, finally losing the last bit of patience left in him. “Stop acting like you know her just because you arrived here before I did. Writing is everything to Ara. You don’t know what’s going on with her life so-”

“Stop it both of you! What’s this?” Sooa finally stepped between the two enraged men, losing her temper as well. “Unnie’s hurt and going through a surgery and what are you two doing here acting like kids quarrelling?”

And it silenced the two men. Sooa gestured Kai to take a seat, while her brother remained standing in front of the closed door.

 

 

Later on, when the surgery was over and the doctors declared that it had been finished well, Ara was sent to the intensive care unit for a few hours. “Sooa go home. It’s late now.” Suho said, seeing how the tired young girl was dozing off on a chair sitting next to Kai in front to the ICU. “You too Kai. You both have shooting tomorrow.”

“You can leave Mr. Kim. I’ll have to wait until she’s transferred to a regular ward.” Kai stood up, to pace the empty passageway. Suho stepped closer stopping him and spoke, showing that his anger has now subsided. “Just listen to me and leave. You can’t be messing up on your second day of shooting. You can visit her in the morning before shooting starts.”

“But-”

“She’ll be transferred to a VIP room. She’ll be taken care of very well so don’t worry and go home now. Take Sooa with you.”

 

And after hanging around for a few more minutes, Kai left the hospital with Sooa, both of them promising to return by the next morning. Suho decided to visit the doctor in charge of Ara, to discuss her stay in the hospital.

 

“Kai,” Sooa stopped Kai from getting into his car, and bit her bottom lip in frustration. “This is getting out of hand already.”

“What is getting out of hand?” he asked, puzzled.

“Oppa. He just cares for her too much Kai. I’m saying this because I know him. He doesn’t care just for anyone like that. The way he’s being all restless with worries for her...it scares me Kai.”

“Should we just tell him the truth then?” Kai asked. And it made the girl shake her head frantically. “No way. One thing, he thinks the world about our dad...and it’s my first time in about ten years, seeing him trying to be happy with someone he likes Kai...so how can we?”

“But you’ll have to choose one Sooa. Because we’ll be telling him one day sooner. I can’t lie to Ara like that after knowing all she went through.”

“Maybe unnie wouldn’t be much serious about it even if they start a proper relationship...”

 

* * * * * * * *

 

As the numbness caused by the anaesthesia started subsiding, the unbearable pain of her broken arm woke up the girl.

It took her a moment to realize where she was. Recalling the taxi banging face first into a van and the piercing pain in her right arm gave her assumptions that she must be in a hospital. but interior of the room she was in said otherwise, giving her doubts whether it was a hospital room or a luxurious hotel suite room which the girl had only seen in dramas.

Scanning around the room which was dimly lit by a single wall lamp, her eyes caught the person she was least expecting to see at the moment.

What is Kim Suho doing here?

Ara looked at the digital clock on the nightstand.

Three thirty five in the morning.

She was on a luxurious bed in a room which most probably is a VIP hospital room.

Her arm seemed to be broken with a cast on and an IV connected to her hand.

Finally, Kim Suho was dozing off on a sofa across the room.

What exactly happened?

 

Disturbing her confusion, the CEO stirred in his half slumber, and leaned his head back on the sofa.

He looks exhausted. Ara thought, watching him.

Still fully clad in his offi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter