13: a little too subtle

the purple left behind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

If Jungkook had to describe his steady relationship with Yoongi, he would have to say it was private.

 

It wasn’t that way on purpose, but it felt special this way; not disclosing details to everyone like Taehyung and Jimin do. It felt special in a way that Jungkook was the only one who knew how Yoongi looked when he woke up in the morning, how he looks when he’s confused, sad, or angry at a TV plot twist.

 

Jungkook would call them private, but not that private.

 

His friends knew what was up when they invite him out for drinks but gets a lame excuse that seems suspiciously muffled. They knew when the wind blew at an odd angle and pushed aside his collar, to reveal the hickey - evidence from his and Yoongi’s makeout from the night before.

 

It’s been nearly a year - a month away from a year, and they had to know. It’s what Jungkook insists to himself when reality hits him.

 

It was one of those nights when Jimin and Taehyung were apart for once, and the older clings to Jungkook because the good ol days. He promptly invited himself over, and Jungkook only agrees because he came holding takeout bags. Taehyung was in Daegu visiting family, while Jimin stares into his bowl regretfully, whining about how great is 'in law's' cooking is. 

 

Later in the night, the two stood shoulder to shoulder, washing dishes.

 

“Ah, hyung” Jungkook whines as the older splashes the younger a bit.

 

Jimin mocks him, “seriously, does that boyfriend of yours put up with your whining like I do?”

 

The younger scoffed, “I’ll have you know he loves it.”

 

“Gross” the older scowls as Jungkook starts to blush, “you really like this guy, don’t you?”

 

“Yep” he chirps, and he means it a lot.

 

“Gross” Jimin repeats, and nudges him after a pause, “oh, yeah, what are you getting Yugyeom for his birthday?”

 

“The party is in three days hyung” Jungkook rolled his eyes, “but, yeah I got him a signed GOT7 album and a bowling certificate.”

 

“Lame” the older teases, “only the two of you would feed into your odd bowling habits.”

 

Jungkook bites back the yoongi thought it was cool, because he doesn’t want to be a bigger sap than Jimin, who mentions Taehyung every ten minutes. His mind wanders, however, remembering that it was a good idea to bring Yoongi along to the party - him and Yugyeom have mutual friends like Mark and Jackson, after all, and the album was thanks to the older and his connections. 

 

“Would it be cool if I just brought Yoongi hyung along, or like is that a move - should I mention it first?” He says thoughtfully while leaning down slot a cup into the drying rack.

 

He doesn’t notice Jimin stiffen at all, and doesn’t notice the tone when the older says, “what.”

 

“I mean I have to ask if he has work, but he mentioned being free this week. Maybe I should give Yugyeom a heads up, right hyung?” Jungkook stops when he finally notice an icy look on the older’s face and the stiffness.

 

“What did you say?” the older says, in the kind of voice where Jungkook knows he said something he wasn’t supposed to.

 

It was like when he was mad at Taehyung for something small, but this one week Jungkook knew not to even mention anything that sounded like the older’s name.

 

“Um” Jungkook says, “work?”

 

“You said Yoongi. Why the would you invite him?”

 

The silence is deafening, but the confusion in Jungkook’s brain is louder, because what the ?

 

“Um” he says again, “I kinda have no idea what’s going on. Are you guys fighting?”

 

“WHy would you -- Jungkook what’s going on? WHy would you invite a dickhead to your friend’s party?”

 

Okay, that set off alarms, but the younger didn’t notice that part because as much as Jimin is his best friend, he has to defend Yoongi - the older had done nothing except done that for him. He's been teased and ridiculed by rappers during parties and events, and it all stopped after a certain track the older released. He hasn't listened to it, since Yoongi absolutely refuses, but still. At the end of the day, he needed to it up and stand up for what he think is right - even if it's his best friend.

 

“Hyung!” he takes a deep breath (because unlike how Yoongi makes it seem, standing up to people is hard), “I don’t know why you’re mad at Yoongi hyung, but he’s not a dickhead! I-I want you guys to talk, maybe, because you’re both important people in my life.”

 

Okay, that seemed okay. Deep breath.

 

Jimin’s eye twitched.

 

Okay, maybe not.

 

“I-i- IMPORTANT?!” Jimin all but shrieked and reached forward to check Jungkook as if he were the one who went crazy, “oh my god, did he brainwash you?! Why are you acting like you are dating Min Yoongi, what the--”

 

“Hyung” Jungkook jumps back, “are you okay?”

 

“ME?! YOU are the one going around acting like Yoongi’s your boyfriend--”

 

“Yoongi and I have been dating for months” Jungkook says, because he feels like it’s the only thing he can say. “It’s about to be a year next month.”

 

Jimin’s dramaticness comes out quick, quickly backing himself up to sit down, acting like someone had just hit him upside the head with a baseball bat. “I think I need a moment - think I’m going crazy.”

 

“Yeah you are” Jungkook runs a hand through his hair, unable to believe this moment is happening. “Who did you think I was with all this time”

 

“I don’t know. Some kid from your photography class, because you take your camera when you go on dates. Not your soulmate, oh my god” Jimin groans.

 

“He’s not an ” Jungkook says quickly, “he’s a great guy--”

 

“Stop, stop, my brain is about to explode.” Jimin groaned.

 

He could second that. None of it made sense - their relationship was private, yet incredibly obvious. Jungkook couldn’t t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter