12: Steady

the purple left behind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After meeting and getting together with Yoongi, his life has been as stable as can be. Before then, Jungkook use to whine about his everyday life — he hated the repetition, and maybe it was because he didn’t have much to look forward to. His days use to consist of motivating himself to go to class because he needs to graduate or worked out and went to dance because he needed the exercise.

 

Nowadays, it felt like he needed to get through class to graduate and move out with Yoongi. He worked out and went to dance because the older would be at performances. Maybe it sounded foolish to put all his motivation in the older, but it wasn’t intentional.

 

He felt like a kid sometimes, because he was younger and he didn’t understand how it was to be working and busy. The older overworked himself often, and was working on that, but Jungkook was trying to understand. Yoongi is passionate about his job and could easily get carried away, so they fought about this often. The older was probably the only one who could easily get him riled up over something so small, which was annoying.

 

He figured it was normal -- soulmates or not, people were bound to get mad at each other. Besides, Jimin and Taehyung fought and bickered often, but he learned that many pairs were unique in their own way. Jungkook went to Yoongi’s rare performances for the underground when he could, and on this night, Mark and Jackson organized an after party. His boyfriend was quickly whisked away, leaving him with Mark.

 

Their conversation switched to complaining about their boyfriends quickly, when Jinyoung, a familiar face in the audience joined as well.

 

He made a face as Mark finished his rant about how Jackson could never, for the life of him, properly clean the studios efficiently. The other raised an eyebrow and laughed along with Jungkook.

 

“It’s funny to see you guys bicker” he says, “if I pulled a joke like that, it’d feel too mean for Jaebum.”

 

Jungkook sat forward, interested. “Do you two ever fight?”

 

The older flushed under the attention, which was endearing. “No, never.”

 

Mark sighs, “that sounds nice - imagining Jackson bending to my every will.”

 

“Well, I’ve never met soulmates who banter like you two, hyung.” Jinyoung says, “everyone I know has never fought before.”

 

Jungkook wondered what it was like to be surrounded by people who weren’t flawed. Something told him, however, that maybe everyone was flawed, and it was possible these people bottle things up for the sake of the bond. He understood fully what Yoongi was worried about - soulmates bottle things up and believe everything would be okay because of the bond, but it would only make things worse in the future.

 

“That’s because you are all in the honeymoon stage. Even the smallest tease would be hurtful for you little ones” Mark replies and then gestured to Jungkook, “him and Yoongi’s bond is completely built off of their teasing.”

 

It was true. Jungkook couldn’t imagine having to watch everything he said in front of Yoongi - he was lucky the older knew how to take a joke and vise versa. The rapper was so blunt, it would be mindblowing if he ended up with someone like Jimin - sensitive and petty as hell.

 

Jinyoung, however, looked very confused. “What?”

 

Jungkook shrugged. “Yoongi hyung and I aren’t very cheesy, and his humor is all dry and sarcasm. It’s like dating a grandpa, honestly.”

 

“Just wait until you guys move in together” Mark croaks in his drink, eyeing his screeching boyfriend from across the room. “I bet Yoongi will totally forget how dishes get washed.”

 

He snickers at the thought, but when Jinyoung doesn’t join in, he shoots the older a confused look.

 

“Sorry” he chokes out, “but you and Agust D are soulmates?”

 

“Jinyoung” Mark says with a raised eyebrow, “I told you they were dating -- number one fan.”

 

The younger flushed and elbowed the other. “Hyung!”

 

“Yeah, dating” the other frowned, “but he was all about anti system and all that, I thought -- I mean I just assumed, you guys… weren’t.”

 

Soulmates, is what Jinyoung didn’t finish off with. He understands - a lot of rappers speak on their anger towards the soulmates system and how society relies on it too much for their future. Yoongi use to be one of those rappers, but lately he’s been speaking on other topics. Nobody really questioned him on the change, and the older didn't see the need to explain.

 

It was a fair assumption, but before he could explain, Yoongi has come around to wrap his arm around the younger’s waist. It was distracting, and suddenly he forgot what he was saying, and the elder knew what he was doing with his lazy smirk and dark eyes, when he whispered to him that they should get out of here. It was safe to say the two were thinking the same thing as several rappers emerged from the kitchen to talk to Yoongi as they both went for the door.

 

Behind him, Jungkook hears Mark say, “they’re too in love not to be soulmates.”

 

Jungkook doesn’t exactly agree, but he doesn’t think much of it as Yoongi tugs him along, his laughter filling him up with warmth.

 

The next morning, Jungkook thinks it must be nice to be in a relationship like Jinyoung and Jaebum. If he was thinking rationally, he would remember that an honest relationship was the best. However, the older and his habits annoyed the out of him easily.

 

Hey, going to work to finish something.

Help yourself to anything and write me when you wake up,

 

The sticky note was on his forehead when he woke up, which was at 7 am. Fuming, Jungkook wonders what ungodly hour did Yoongi feel inspiration hit him? Rolling over, he fumbled with the pen on the nightstand. It was dumb and kiddish, but the only thing he could think of this early, was a big YOU across his forearm.

 

Halfway through morning practice he gets an onslaught of calls from Yoongi and several sad faces and flower doodles around them. He answers on the fifteenth time, and Yugyeom scowled.

 

“You guys are so in love” he says, “even when you’re mad you light up when he calls.”

 

“Shut up” he hissed, and after thinking about that, Jungkook thinks petty before bringing the phone to his ear, turning away from his friend, “what.”

 

“Nice” Yugyeom says sarcastically, which he ignores.

 

“Hey babe” Yoongi says, apprehensive yet smooth. “How was practice.”

 

“Fantastic. But then someone kept calling me -- lucky no one heard” he deadpans.

 

The older sighed before correcting, “boyfr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter