Page 15

Be With Me

*No One’s POV*

“How can I help you Jimin-ssi?” As Areum gathers both of her hands together to the front, posing in her usual professional state of manner position. 

It felt like Park Jimin’s breathing had stopped, or more so his breath had stopped from the moment Areum had stepped foot into the room.

Clearing his throat to say his next few words that he’s been mentally practicing to himself. “I-I...I-I was-I was wondering...” Feeling jittery, his could feel his body heat rising and started to rub his hands together that was now starting to sweat from the position he was in. He looks up at Areum who has now taken a step towards him with her hands out carefully. “...Is everything okay Jimin-ssi..?” She spoke carefully like it was a sensitive topic. He realized he was making the poor girl worry, so with a deep breath “I was.. if.. you were free to have lunch” As he now looks at the clock striking a time later than planned “.... But looking at the time I believe that wouldn’t work sadly now...” To hear those words, her shoulders began to relax as this was not a bigger deal than she thought it was, but also became another kind of deal to her. 

Oh goodness. I’m so sorry Jimin-ssi, if I had known earlier that it was you I would have came right away. You wasted all this time here...” She looked around the room like it was going to give her answers and then glancing at the ticking clock. “Do perhaps still have time...Let me make it up to you? If you still have time we can grab dinner instead? My treat! It would be the least I can do for already being late.” Passing a soft smile to the boy standing across her. 

Wishing.

Jimin had wished that maybe the heavens would hear his cry and something would maybe work out so his hard work wouldn’t go to waste and now with her sincere offer, it would be a win-win for them both. He mentally thanked the heavens for hearing him. As he beams a bright smile to her “Y-yeah, if that’s okay with you. I would love that.” Areum takes a deep breath of relief. “Wonderful, ummmm… I need to complete some paperwork quick and then I would be able to leave… would that be okay with you?”

“Definitely!” Jimin said almost too quickly. Rubbing the back of his neck with his hands now embarrassed that he just gave himself away like that. Areum brought her hand up to cover up her small giggle she is releasing. Jimin now joins her in the small laughter and takes a breath, “Did you want me to wait here for you?” As he turns his body left and right looking around the room that is becoming familiar to him now. “Ummm...” Areum thought… for a second longer. “No. No I would rather have you come with if that’s okay? I wouldn’t want to forget you in here again for a second time now.” Both individuals making eye contact with each other and a small laugh pours out from both of them again. She turns towards the door and opens it widely. “Let’s get going now then, shall we Jimin-ssi?” 

--skips the walking to office part--

Walking up to the lounge area “Take a seat, I just need to sign some paperwork, and we should be gone within the next few minutes here” As she gestures the young man to sit on the sofa, she watches as he slowly makes his way towards her. “Thanks” He says to her softly, as she makes her way to her desk to pull out a stack of paperwork from underneath her and plops it in her arm, now walking to where he is now seated and quickly takes a pen out from the jar before she forgets too.

“Please make yourself at home Jimin-ssi, can I get you anything to drink while you wait perhaps?” Getting right back up from her sitting position to stand in front of the man. “N-no that’s okay. I’m okay for now, thank you for asking. Please don’t worry about me, I wouldn’t want to delay your time.” She smiles towards him sitting back down as she starts begins opening her folder continuing the conversation towards him “I should be saying that to you Jimin-ssi. Thank you for your patience, for… this to somehow work out. I usually don’t get visitors from people I know...” Areum gets lost in signing her papers as she stops the conversation from continuing as Jimin just quietly watches her sign paper by paper with her name at the bottom. 

A small smile slowly forming on his lips as he sees her facial expression becomes more serious as she dives into her paperwork. It was the first time he’s actually gotten to see her work, even if it was as small as signing paper, this was still a first for him. As his eyes just concentrates on her face and then her hand which is signing and back to her face again. He slowly relaxes himself and draws himself forward, resting his face on his hand now prompted up on his leg to get a better look at the beauty placed in front of him. The smile still remaining on his face as he just intakes her presence in. This was Areum. The Areum. His Areum. Something changes in her form of work as she sticks out her tongue confused on what she has done and Jimin’s smile grows wider with a soft chuckle.

Cute” He said ever so softly to himself, Areum catches the small voice and looks up at him.

Hmm? Did you say something Jimin-ssi?”

Forgetful.

Jimin forgot that he was across from her and didn’t even realize that he has spoken that word out loud.. Well loud enough for him to hear he thought. He never thought she would have heard it.

“I..Uh-I… nothing” Jimin said as his cheeks heats up from the interaction.

“Are you sure?” Areum stops writing and sets her pen down. “Are you not feeling well? You’re turning red.”

Tense.

Jimin tenses up from his relaxed position with eyes wide open, using both of his hand to cover up his face from Areum. “I’m okay honest, I was just talking to myself...y-yeah...”

Leaning forward towards him, she reaches to Jimin out of instinct to double check for herself. “Are you sure? Can I-” 

“No no, I’m okay” 

“Let me-” 

“I’m okay Areum truly-” 

“Here just let me-”

*knock* *knock* *knock*

“Areum-nim are you-what-wha-what’s going on in here...

Areum’s position is leaned over the table with her right leg kneel on top the table for support, left leg stretched out behind her. Left hand interlaced with his and her other in midair between her and Jimin. While Jimin on the other hand had somehow gotten his right hand laced with hers and his other arm up and over his body protecting it like a shield, his body was leaned all the way back into the sofa with his left up to keep her from falling on top of him. It was quite a sight to walk into if you by chance did... which was exactly what happened here.

Both looked at each other and then at the colleague that was still in between the doorway and back at each other in the position they were placed at once more before fixing themselves to be in a more comfortable position. 

S-Sunbae! It’s not what it looks like-we were just- I mean I was-”

Oh this is great! This is wonderful news” She clapped to herself proudly “You finally brought someone into your office. Although you should know you guys shouldn’t be doing that kind of stuff in the office” she said in a whisper “but your secret is safe with me dear. I’m just so...” The colleague giggled at her. Areum took a step back and raised her arms in defense “No no no, love in the off- oh no-yuck! Sunbae!” Slightly offended that the lady in front of her would think of her like that in the first place. “Firstly, we were not doing anything of-” Not wanting to name anything of those sorts verbally towards the third person especially with Jimin in the room. 

“... whatever you are brainstorming up there, Secondly, you know how I am with office relationships, and lastly, he is not my significant other, he is a friend whom is waiting on me to finish work.” Areum took a breath as she ran her hand through her long caramel hair, it’s been awhile since she’s spoken out like that towards someone.

“Oh...” as the colleague slouched her shoulders, disappointed at the news. Turning to take a look at the gentleman in the room. “You’re not together with Lady Areum?” she asks directly to him as if she wanted a second confirmation for herself. Startled at the question himself “I-uh-no. No I am not with Areum.” Bowing politely at the lady…”I apologize on you having to walk into that-”

“Why not?” the lady speaks towards Jimin, and Areum gives her attention towards the Sunbae now fully. Unsure of what the lady in front of her was trying to say towards the man in the room. “You seem like a pretty charming guy, and it seems like you know Lady Areum enough, no? You should definitely-”

“Tae Hee Sunbae, if you don’t have anything else-” “Are you single Mr-” “TAEHEE SUNBAENIM!” Areum roared towards the senior.

Toning her voice down as she’s now upset that this was happening once again “Leave… have a good night and I’ll see you bright and early tomorrow morning. I will discuss this with you later.” Already with the door wide open to present the senior out of the room. “Please, when I’m asking nicely.” As her voice was calm, but stern and bold towards her Sunbae.

Crossed.

Once again people were crossing the lines of work and personal life, deciding for her what was needed and not needed and thinking they can just squeeze themselves into her personal life like they were allowed too because they were close teammates.

As the doors shut the dead silence took over the room, and Areum took a deep breath and turned towards Jimin. Deeply bowing towards the other person in the room, “I am so deeply sorry for you to have been in that situation, I hope you forgive Tae Hee Sunbae for her directness. It’s been awhile since outside people have been in my office so...” She looks at Jimin with an unreadable expression. 

.

.

.

“It’s okay” He replies with a soft smile, sincerity reaching his eyes as he looks at her. 

Areum’s POV

*It’s okay. It was okay. It was going to be okay.* 

As I continue to look at Jimin, I began to slowly relax from the small outburst I had.

“Thank you Jimin, you’re really great.”

No One’s POV

As they gaze at each other for a few seconds long with a smile on each of their faces, a calm wave overtakes the tense vibe that once was held.

“How about we go grab at dinner now?”

“That sounds wonderful”