Chapter 8: A Step Towards Friendship

In Love With You

Jungkook excited about meeting up with Jimin after school could not bring himself to fall asleep last night, he even woke up early in the morning and spent the morning running back and forth looking for something to wear. After changing a million times, he decided to go with a red shirt and a blue denim jacket and jeans. During class, he could not stop staring at Jimin as the teacher was lecturing about crafts. When class ended, he told Jimin, he will meet up with him in front of the library, so they get the books they need for the project, Jimin nods, heading out with his friends. The guidelines require for them to two outside sources being physical books and the internet as references. Lunch was awkward, since Crystal’s accusation, he barely said a few words to her and she also left early, something about meeting up with her friends, leaving Yugyeom stunned but Jungkook knew why she left but was not in the mood to talk about it. He is not someone who holds a grudge, but he still was angry at her for accusing him of messing around, calling him a cheat. 

 Jungkook felt as if the day went by slow, he could not wait for the bell to ring and head to the library. His notebook and pencil already in his packet, he peers at the watch, impatient. As soon as the bell rings and the teacher dismisses them, he puts on his backpack and dashes out of the class, heading towards the library, luckily for him, his class is not far from the library, he wanted to be early just in case Jimin was already there. He reaches the library but Jimin was still not there, he takes out his cellphone, texting his sister that he is going to stay after school for a project. He spots Jimin from the other side, walking towards the library, in his black and red plaid flannel shirt with a red backpack.

 he puts his cellphone back into his packet.

“Hi,” says Jimin, smiling, holding the strap of his red backpack,

“Hey,” says Jungkook, trying not show his excitement but his body betrays him, he couldn’t help but blush, smiling cheek to cheek. 

“Let’s go,” says Jimin.

They walk inside the library, the librarian greets them, they greet her back, walking towards the computers, there were kids using the computers, but they managed to find one not being used at the end, Jimin sits at the chair in front of the computer and Jungkook pulls a chair over, sitting besides him as Jimin logs in. As Jimin searches the web, Jungkook gazes at him, smiling to himself, feeling shy, inhaling Jimin’s fragrance, Jungkook usually hates cologne since he does not wear any, he naturally smells good, he always has but Jimin’s fragrance made his heart race, it was not too much at all, he did not smell it until he sitting near him,

“What kind of book do you think we should use?” asks Jimin, scrolling through the library website database, Jungkook turns to the screen, get your together, or else he’ll think you’re a weirdo, always staring at him,

“Um, try going to the archive, it’ll be easier to look up for a book at the art section,” says Jungkook. Jimin biting his lower lip, he seems so focus, Jungkook chuckles, staring at the screen as he clicks on the archive, scrolling through it to the letter I, for Impressionism,

“So much work,” says Jimin, “At least we got an interesting one though.” Jungkook giggles, nodding his head,

“Yeah,” says Jungkook, “Oh wait.”

“Hmm?” says Jimin,

“That book by Robert Herbert is a good book, I read it once, it basically just summarizes everything we need and talks about artist and their styles,” says Jungkook, excited, he read the book during his sophomore year for an assignment, he remembers somethings from it, “We can use it if you want?”

“Sure, why not, at least one of us will know what where are doing,” says Jimin, “It’s on the third aisle, want to go get it?”

 

After deciding who they are going to focus on, they got their books, they found an empty table, and decide to go through the books, taking notes before deciding which painter they should focus on. Sitting across from each other, Jungkook could not help but glance at Jimin, who was going through the second book they decided to check out. Jimin his eyes on the book, he was tapping his pencil against the notebook, Jungkook gazes at him, Jimin looks up and Jungkook quickly turns away, staring down at his book.

 

They have been at the library for an hour, Jungkook has not been able to read anything, he spent most of the time scanning through the pages while glancing at Jimin, taken by his the faces he was making; puckering his lips every now and then, biting his lower lip and tapping the pencil against his head, unaware of his boredom, his eyes scans the pages of book.

“So which painter do want to focus on?” asks Jimin, “I don’t think I can read anymore, I’m exhausted.”

Jungkook laughs, “Yeah, the library is about to close soon, I think we should write about Monet, he is the one we discussed mostly about in class, if that is okay with you?”

“It’s fine with me,” says Jimin, he stretches his arms, yawning, “, I just want to go home. We should also check out a book on Monet, just so we don’t have to come back to the library.” Jungkook nods his head, Jimin gets up and walks to the autobiography aisle, Jungkook puts his notebook in his backpack. He wants to stay a little longer because the after-school buses don’t arrive until five, and it was only three-thirty. All packed, he waits for Jimin, staring at his notebook he left, he has a nice handwriting. Jungkook laughs at the doodling on top of the page, it was much of emoji faces,

“Let’s go,” says Jimin, with a book in his hand, he closes his notebook and puts in his backpack, “You check out these two,” says Jimin, handing him the two books and keeping the autobiography, “I’ll probably go home and read this one.” Jungkook takes the books and they head over to check them out. After checking them out, they head out.

 

Holding the straps of his backpack, they walk side by side, Jungkook glimpse over at Jimin, noticing his height for the first time, I wonder how tall he is, he seems smaller, maybe it is the loose collared shirt he is wearing, making him look small. Jimin turns, catching his eyes, Jungkook turns away, clearing his throat,

“Did you drive here or take the bus?” asks Jimin,

“None, my sister drops me,” replies Jungkook, feeling lame, regretting answering, thinking he should have replied with something cool, who would want to be with someone who doesn’t even have own a car, trying to get with a senior, he should have at least convinced his sister to let him take the car sometimes. Lost in his own mind, Jimin slightly nudges at shoulder with his elbow,

“I’m talking to you,” says Jimin, staring at him,

“Huh? Says Jungkook, “Sorry, did you say something?”

“Yeah,” says Jimin, “I asked if you wanted a ride, the late bus doesn’t come until five.” Jungkook grins, nodding his head, he clears his throat,

“If it’s not a problem,” he says, keeping cool, totally psyched, , I can’t believe he offered to give me a ride, this day cannot get any better.

I wouldn’t offer if it was a problem,” says Jimin.

Jungkook could not stop smiling while they head towards Jimin’s car. Jimin takes out his remote car key opening it, Jungkook hesitates, wanting to make sure, Jimin motions for him to get in the car. Jungkook gets in the car, shutting the door, his eyes look around the car, a cross hangs from the rearview mirror, didn’t take him for a religious person. Strawberry air freshener fills the car, the same scent his sister uses in the car. As soon as he starts the engine, music start playing, the song not familiar to him, Jimin volumes down the music.

“You can put your address in the GPS,” says Jimin. Jungkook puts his address in, pressing the start button, the GPS voice starts talking and Jimin pulls out of the parking.

 

He comes to a red light, Jungkook glances at Jimin, clearing his throat,

“You have a nice car, it must’ve been expensive?” he cringes at himself, what a way to start a conversation.

Jimin looks at him, “Got it for a pretty good deal,” he says, “I saved up for it for years, I just got it over the summer.”

“You work?” asks Jungkook, surprised, Jimin comes from a well-off family, everyone at school knew that, he did not really hide it from his flashy clothes, shoes, watch, anyone who sees him will know he comes from a wealthy family. Jimin laughs, staring at Jungkook, curious,

“Why so surprised?” he says, “You thought I was spoiled or something?” Jungkook freaks out, hoping he is not offended,

“I didn’t mean it like that,” says Jungkook, stuttering, trying to come up with a defense, but was dumbfounded when Jimin starts laughing.

“I’m messing with you,” says Jimin, “I guess I do give people the impression that I’m spoiled, but I do work.” Jungkook smiles, off course he does, he seems like a responsible person, he curses himself for thinking he just another indulged guy from a rich family, guess that’s why people say do not judge a book by its cover,

“Anyway,” says Jungkook, changing the subject, he wanted to know everything there is to know about Jimin, but he did not want to sound like he is interrogating him. He trails off, lost of words, he has never been good at starting conversation with people, especially someone he likes.

“You were saying?” says Jimin, taking a turn as the GPS directed, Jungkook stares at him,

“You’re graduating this year, have you already figured out what you want to study?” Jimin stares at him, staring at him suspiciously for a few seconds, he smiles,

“Can I ask you something?” he says, softly, Jungkook nods his head, confused,

“Do I intimidate you?” Jungkook stares at him, not understanding what he was asking,

“What do you mean?”

“Don’t get me wrong, it’s just, I see you with you’re friends in class, with Sarah, at lunch with Yugyeom and Crystal and you don’t seem to be shy, but it’s as if you’re always thinking about how to act around me. I know I can be a bit intimidating sometimes, I’ve been told.”

“No,” says Jungkook, he never thought about it, he never felt intimidated by Jimin. He is shy and timid around him, maybe the fact that he can never say anything to him, makes him look like he is intimidated.

“So why did you come with me to the park weeks ago?” asks Jimin, Jungkook chuckles, biting his lip, wanting to say it’s because I like you, but he knows that will just make look like a freak, he clears his throat,

“Cause’ you looked like you were in a bad mood, you needed company and I wanted to ditch school,” he replies looking at Jimin. They stare at each other for a few seconds before Jimin burst out laughing,

“Wow, okay,” he says, “You’re funny, we should’ve hanged out before, you’re such a good company.” Jungkook blushes at what just Jimin said, he likes my company.

 

They arrive at Jungkook’s house, he parks the car. Jungkook grabs his backpack from the backseat,

“Thanks,” he says,

“Don’t worry about it,” says Jimin. Jungkook gets out of the car,

“Jungkook,” calls Jimin, rolling down the window, Jungkook walks towards the car,

“Do you want to meet up at my house tomorrow to work on the project?” Jungkook smiles,

“Sure, what time?”

“Hmmm,” says Jimin, “How about in the morning at ten o’clock, is that fine with you?” Jungkook nods his head,

“I’ll text you the address,” says Jimin, he waves at him, driving away. Jungkook watches him until he disappears around the corner,

“Yes!” shouts Jungkook throwing his hands in the air, first he got a ride with Jimin and now he is going to see him outside of school, the thought of it made him excited, wondering what kind of person Jimin is outside of school, he almost died of a heart attack the first time he bumped into him outside of school at the supermarket. Jungkook turns around, he sees Crystal standing outside near his door,

What is she doing here?

He walks towards her, wondering how long she has been standing there? she notices him and smiles, but it was an awkward smile,

“Hi,” he says, looking at her, her eyes were on the road,

“Since when did you and Jimin become close friends?” Jungkook stares at her, she saw Jimin drop him off, he clears his throat, he rubs the side of his neck, clearing his throat,

“What’re you doing here?” he asks, walking past her,

“I came to apologize, I thought you would be home,” she says, “Can we talk?” Jungkook nods his head, motioning for her to come in, he opens the door, turning on the light. She follows him to the kitchen, he hands her a bottle of water while she takes a sit at the chair near the counter. He opens his bottle of water, gulping it down, he wipes his mouth with the back of his hand, staring at her,

“What’s up?”

She sighs, “I’m sorry for accusing you of things you didn’t do?” she says, softly, staring at her fingers, she looks up back at him,

“It’s fine,” says Jungkook, “I was angrier at the fact that you think I am capable of doing something like that.”

“I know,” she says, “I don’t know why I acted like that, it’s just you never said anything about why you broke up with me and then I see you with Mike, I guess…” her voice trails off, she sighs, “Anyway, I don’t want to lose our friendship over my stupidity, so sorry.” Jungkook sighs, he understood why she acted like, she had every right but he just angry she attacked his character. He smiles, not wanting to drag it out, she is one of his close friends, he did not want to lose their friendship,

“I’m over it,” he says, “Besides our friendship is stronger than a petty argument.” She laughs,

“Yeah, that’s true,” she says, relieved, “So want to tell me why Jimin drove you home?” Jungkook laughs,

“Wow, you’re nosy,” he says. She glares at him,

“I was just wondering since when did the Prince of Rosewell become close friends with my friend, that’s all.”

“We’re working on a project, we stayed afterschool, so he gave me a ride home,” he says, knowing that she will keep on persisting and pestering him if he does not tell her. Jungkook smiles at her, glad they are speaking again, he would have regret it if a small argument ruined their friendship. She gets up,

“I’ll see you later,” she says, heading out.

“Later,” says Jungkook, watching her until she disappears, he hears the door closing. He sighs, hoping things are really alright between them.