Chapter 2: A Crush

In Love With You

The rest of the day went on quickly, Jungkook hated his math class, they already had homework assigned, he was baffled, it was only the first day of the Spring Semester and they had homework due tomorrow. It was finally lunch time, he was lucky enough to get same lunch period as his friends, they got their lunches and found an empty table near the end.

“Dude,” says Yugyeom, “A ing quiz in PreCal, she says it’s ‘review,’ what a load of bull.” Jungkook chuckles, opening his cart of orange juice, he did not like eating at school and would usually bring something from school, but he had no choice today, the burrito he ate for breakfast was not enough and he did not feel like making food, so he must settle with the school lunch. The cafeteria was filled with laughter’s and chattering, but the most sound came from the table in the front, last semester he had first lunch, he never saw anyone sitting at the table, it supposedly belonged to the popular kids but he did not really believe in that, it was 2018, there was no such a thing as popular kids, he would regard himself and his friends popular, many girls hit on him and Yugyeom and many guys were after Crystal but she would brush them off or ignore them. It was the first time he saw that table with people, mostly the football players and cheerleaders, he shakes his head, what a cliché.

He goes back to eating his reheated chicken nuggets with no flavor, his eyes look around, he spots Rachel, Jimin’s friend, walking towards a table. He sits up, following her with his eyes, Jimin, as he suspected, was walking beside her, but he did not have any food with him, they sit down with the same boy name Liam, from art class but they were joined by four other people, one of them Jungkook knew, Yugyeom’s neighbor since his was a kid, Arthit Watin, Jungkook never spoke to him, other than saying hi. All he knew was that Yugyeom hated him, he was constanly bickering with him and that he his family was loaded, more than Crystal’s family.

“So, they are close friends,” he mumbles underneath his breath, Crystal looks at him,

“Did you say something?” she asks, staring blankly at him,

“Nothing,” says Jungkook, eyes glued on Jimin, he looks down at his food, not wanting to make it obvious that he was staring,

“Hey, want to come over and play games after school?” asks Yugyeom, he is kind of a game addict, he would spend hours playing video games if his parents do not say anything, as much as Jungkook wanted to play games, he was feeling tired, he went to sleep late. He shakes his head no,

“Maybe some other time,” he replies, “I kind of want to go home and take a nap, I went to sleep really late.”

 

Jungkook spent most of the time during lunch stealing glances at Jimin at a distance, he only had him in art class which made him feel down, even though he could not grasp the reason why. His eyes were glued to the clock throughout the period which made the day dull and dragging. He was glad he was home, he caught a ride with Crystal who had her own car that her dad bought for her sixteenth birthday, she was older than Yugyeom and Jungkook by a year, so she had her license before Jungkook.

“I’m home,” he says closing the door behind him, but he was met by silence and darkness, he turns on the light, he knew no one was home but it was something he is used to saying since he was young before his mom passed away and his dad moved them to the states three months after her death. He walks to the kitchen, there was a pink post-it note on the door, something her sister would always do when she is held up at work, it read,

 Lunch in the fridge, heat it up don’t eat it cold. Take out the trash and your clothes out of the dryer, I’ll be home for dinner. He sighs, annoyed, he was not hungry, so he grabs a bag of

roasted seaweed snack that belonged to Jeongyeon, labeled do not eat, she was a health freak and stingy with her snacks, ignoring the warning, he closes the fridge door, heading to his room. The house was uncomfortably quiet, something he still has not gotten used to even though it has been like for years, with his dad all day work until midnight, he rarely sees him, something that no longer bothers him, he is close to his father and they get along well but his job keeps him busy. 

Jungkook throws his backpack on the bed, trying to pull his shoes off with his foot but losing his balance but managed to get one off, after taking them off, he kicks them aside. He yawns, he was tired but wanted to start on his math homework and get it out of the way, so he can sleep with a worry. He first changes out of his clothes, putting on black cargo shorts and a white t-shirt, the window was slightly open making the room cool and refreshing, the weather was nice in the middle of January. He sits at the chair in front of his computer, he pushes the keyboard aside, making room for his textbook and notebook, he opens the textbook to the assigned page, the sight of numbers giving him a headache. He sighs, irritated, he is good at math, but he really hated math. He opens the bag of seaweed, shoving one in his mouth, staring at the problem the teacher assigned. He yawns, covering his mouth his hand, unable to concentrate, he decides to take a nap first instead, laying his head on top of the textbook. He shuts his eyes.

Through the slightly open window, he can hear a car and then voices, but it was faint he did not mind. He was standing on the grass. And then he was running after a soccer ball. And then he was moving through the hallway. And then he was in front of his art class, Jimin stood looking out the window as the sun glistens in the room. He turned, smiling. A familiar voice calls his name and the class turned into his house.

When he woke it was dark, he adjusts his eyes, lifting his head, the same dream again. He turns, and his sister was standing beside him, startling him.

“, you scared me,” he says, stretching his arms, his neck, back and shoulder sore from the position he was sleeping in.

“I told you to take out the trash,” says Jeongyeon, with her hands on her hips, scowling.

“Sorry,” he says, “I’ll go do it now.”

“Don’t bother,” she says, angry, “Just take your clothes out of the dryer. Jungkook watches her as she slams the door shut on her way out, he gets up to get his clothes before he pisses off his sister any more than he has already. 

He was finally able to get his homework done but he was hungry, the bag of seaweed was not enough to satisfy his rumbling stomach, he heads downstairs in search of food. He can hear the water running in the kitchen, he spots his sister who was cooking, he sits at one of the chairs at the table, watching her moving around the kitchen, her  long brown hair tied back in a ponytail with an apron, he smiles, she really did resemble their mom, she moved liked her too, talks like her and smiles like her, Jungkook resembled his father more than his mom that ‘s what he heard from people anyway.

“How long is that going to take?” he asks, she looks at him, dumbfounded as if she just noticed him.

“If you’re that hungry, you should’ve eaten the lunch in the fridge,” she replies, “Don’t ing hurry me.” 

He rolls his eyes, spacing out and sinking into his thoughts, trying to decipher the dream, he just had.  He still could not understand why he had the same dream again, why dream of Jimin of all people, he knew was attracted to how handsome he is but did not understand why he is dreaming about someone he does not even know that well aside from what he hears from people. He remembers Yugyeom walking to him after Jimin passed him the ball the first time he saw him, Yugyeom asked Jungkook if he knew Jimin, and that’s how he knew his name, he has of course heard of his name from several people even Crystal spoke about him. Jungkook’s growling stomach snaps him out of it, bringing him to reality, he gets up, 

“Call me when it’s dinner please,” he says, as he walks back into his room.

He closes the door and goes on the computer, he wanted to know for sure if he is crushing on Jimin, he has many crushes on girls when he was young but he only had a crush on a guy once when he was in middle school, his sister’s friend but soon realized he just admired him a lot, it was not a romantic crush. He never thought himself as gay but the thought of liking a guy never bothered him, he did not care much for labels, currently, no one really cared much about anyone’s uality, especially in California, so being raised in an open community made him comfortable with himself. He had a fling with one of his “friend”, Mike who was also in the soccer team, but it never went anywhere, they were both not ready for a relationship even though unlike him, Mike was out of the closet.

He turns on his computer and goes on the internet, he wanted to find out, if he has a crush on Jimin, he types in “How do I know I like Someone?” in google search engine, he scrolls through the web, reading trying to find something worth reading, he clicks on a link that takes him to a website called AllTheTests.Com. He scrolls down, and sees a ten-question test, he chuckles, feeling silly but his curiosity got the best of him, he decided to take the test, if it means it will help clarify whatever feelings he has towards Jimin. 

“Do you think about them?” he reads the question out loud to himself, “Definitely.” He clicks true and it takes him to the second question.

“Do catch yourself staring at them,” he reads again, nodding his head and clicking true. After clicking true for half of the questions, he reaches the last question, he quickly answers it, wanting to the results, he clicks results and he laughs staring at the screen, according to the test he was in love with Jimin, he shakes his head baffled,

“Love? I don’t even know him, bull test” he returns to the search engine, scamming through it, but started feeling bored, an idea pops up in his head, he quickly goes to the student website, it was like Facebook, but it was a dedication to the students who go to Rosewell. It is headed by the student council but the media and news teacher overseas it to make sure nothing negative was being posted about anyone, but kids are creative in talking about other kids. The website contained everything you wanted to know about the latest gossip, hottest and latest trend, who is dating who? What dance is coming up next? Pretty much everything a teenager wanted to know, but the reason he went there is that his Fan Club had a separate page dedicated solely to Jimin, his fan club is mostly girls in the freshman and sophomores classes, he could tell. The club is known as Prince Chimmy's Fan Club, a play on the word charming and his name, Jimin,  the name, always made Jungkook laugh, but even he can’t deny that it was cute;  it’s amazing how infatuated those girls are but the stuff on the website is not private things, they seem to be stuff that was general and broad, like the food and drinks he likes, favorite color, fashion style and etc.  they basically seem to get their information from watching him, no pictures except cute drawings of him, pretty skillful drawings, he was impressed. Jungkook couldn’t help but laugh, they were so cute, admiration at it’s finest. 

The door opens,

“Coming to eat?” she asks, “I won’t call you again.”

“Coming,” he replies, turning off the computer and walking downstairs with his sister. The table was already set with two plates of pork and noodles, chicken and potatoes with fried vegetables and white rice. Jungkook stares at his father spot, there was no plate,

“Dad is not joining us?”

“Nah,” she replies, motioning for him to sit down, “he got held up at work, something about a client.” Jungkook stares at the empty chair, sighing and then sits down.

Silence fills the room as they eat, his sister and he did not talk much, they were both quiet people, something they inherited from their mother, despite the bickering and fights, dinner with his father and sister is something he is usually looking forward to even though it does not happen, when it does happen it makes him feel full. He stares at his sister, wondering if he should ask her advice about Jimin or his crush, he sure she has been through something like this, she is in a relationship and she is only twenty-four, so she probably has a good memory of her first crush.

“What?” says his sister, Jungkook didn’t realize he was staring at her for a while, he shakes his head, silent for a second, he looks at her again,

“Noona, can I ask you something?” she looks up at him,

“Um, yeah,” she says, “What is it?”

“Do you…um…” he stutters, feeling shy, “How does someone, you know, knows if they’re crushing on someone?” She puts down her spoon, silent for a second,

“Um,” she says, smiling, “Well, its different for everyone, the first sign for me when I start liking someone is when I get mean.”

“Huh?”

“Well, if I like someone, first I would ignore him and then I would a lot, but at the same time, my heart races every time I think about him or every time I hear his name, I blush and grin like an idiot.” Jungkook nods his head, that’s the exactly how he feels every time he thinks about Jimin, his sister smirks,

“Who is she?”

“What?”

“The girl you’re crushing on,” she teases, “She must be special, you haven’t spoken to someone in a while.” Jungkook rolls his eyes, shoving fried vegetable in mouth, so he doesn’t have to answer her,

“Aww, you’re adorable when your shy,” she mocks, making silly faces and laughing,

“Make sure to seize the moment, don’t let her slip out of her your hands.” Jungkook sighs, completely ignoring her, he wanted to tell his sister about Jimin but he wants to make something about nothing. He is even not sure whether Jimin is gay, straight, biual, single or in a relationship- he does know from listening to his sister,  he does have feelings for him, feelings he is not sure how to navigate, feelings that give him goosebumps and makes his stomach tighten at the thought of them progressing any further.Maybe he really does have a crush on Jimin.