Chapter 3: Fate's Prank

In Love With You

Jungkook able to wake up early, was in the kitchen preparing a sandwich to eat before heading to school. His sister was off, so he begged her to take the car, but she refused, she has errands to run. He is in the kitchen fixing a sandwich for himself, angry that his sister would not let him take the car, he did not want to be in the same car as her, so he decided to ride his bike to school instead, he didn’t leave far from the school, it is not a walking distance but he can ride his bike. He puts his lunch in his backpack, walks out into the grudge and pulls out his bike, he turns his snapback backward getting on the bike.

The weather felt nice, it wasn’t cold but a bit cool with strong wind, he always loved riding his bike, San Francisco streets were always a challenge. San Francisco is a world-class city with a loose affiliation of small towns strewn over hills, threaded together with gravity-straining streets, not anyone can just ride a bike down those hills.

He reaches the school and rides to the school’s bike rack, he gets off and locks his bike, his eyes looking around, kids walking inside the building and kids were outside on the track field. He looks at his watch, earlier than usual, he decides to go to their usual spot at the lockers. As he walks he runs into one of his teammate, David,

“Hey man,” says David, high fiving him,

“What’s up?” replies Jungkook,

“Nothing really,” answers David,

“Same, I’ll see you around dude,” says Jungkook.

“Oh,” says David turning, “the team is getting together this weekend, James is having a party if your down.”

“Um,” says Jungkook, he did not have any plans for the weekend except sleeping in and playing video games, a party was not a bad idea.

“I’ll think about it,” he says.

“Aight, I’ll give you a call.”  He waves bye to him and they both head their own ways, as he walks he hears someone calls his name, it was Crystal, a few feet from him, he decides to wait for her,

“Hi,” says Crystal.

“Hey,” he says, walking side by side to the lockers, his phone chimes, and beeps, he takes it out his pocket. It was a message from Yugyeom,

“Hmm,” says Jungkook, “he is not coming.”

“Knowing him, he probably stayed up playing games,” says Crystal, laughing. Leaning against the lockers, his eyes scan the hallways, everyone in their own groups of friends, his eyes land on Jimin’s fan club across from them, they were not in their club today. They have always stood out, because they were into anime and manga, always dressing in cosplay, he chuckles, intrigued,

“Do you like them?” says Crystal, sarcastically,

“Huh?” says Jungkook, didn’t realize he was staring at them,

“You keep staring at those weirdos,” says Crystal, “You have a crush on one of them? “He laughs, glaring at her,

“You think they’re weird?” he asks, curious, he never spoke to any of them before, he used to see them around, always together and chitchatting, he never thought they weird, they were interesting to observe.

“Yeah,” says Crystal, “I mean, they’re like obsessed with Jimin, if I were him I would report them.”

“Hmmm,” says Jungkook, he never thought about that, it must be annoying for Jimin always being targeted but the fact that the club exists means he does not care.

“But he is full of himself, no wonder he has no problem with those girls being all over him,” says Crystal, Jungkook turns to look at her,

“Who?”

“Jimin, of course,” she replies, “Because he is good looking, he thinks the world revolves around him or something, not mention his friends.” Jungkook gets quiet, starting to get irritated and uncomfortable,  

“How do you know he is like?” he asks, aggressively, she stares at him for second and he clears his throat,

“Well, how can I not? He is the volleyball team because they never lost, they always seem to want to show us off, they won state last semester.”

“Hmm,” says Jungkook, he plays volleyball, he doesn’t look like it, no wonder he is in shape.”

The bell rings and Jungkook wanted to go to class early, hoping that Jimin was also there early.

“Where are you going?” asks Crystal,

“Class,” he replies, he waves at her, heading to the art class.

 

He opens the door, slowly and walks in, as he hoped, Jimin was in class. He was standing at Mrs. Jasmine’s desk, talking to her, smiling, Jungkook heads to his desk. He puts his backpack on the table and takes off his snapback, eyes on Jimin, he runs his finger through his hair. There weren’t many kids in the class, which made him wonder if Jimin usually comes to class early, he does not seem like the person to show up earlier than he has too.

“Hi,” says Sarah,

He was focused on Jimin, he did not even see her, sitting, he smiles, feeling embarrassed, hoping she did not notice he was staring at him. As the kids rush into class, following the tardy bell, Jungkook watches Jimin as he walks back to his chair, beside his friend Rachel. Jungkook could not stop gawking at him, he was in a white t-shirt with an striped long sleeve collared shirt that was loose, and black jeans and white shoes, he must be into fashion, he always dresses nice and formal.

Mrs. Kim begins the class by writing on the board, the five principles of painting, with a bunch of vocabulary words underneath it, it looks like they are taking notes, he was looking forward to hands-on activities. She went on to define each word and kids scribbling down the things she writes on the board,

“Today,” she says, standing in the middle of the class, “We are going to learn about famous painters, take out your textbook.”

 

The class was going slow, all they were doing is reading from the textbook and taking notes, Jungkook’s eyes land on the clock on the white wall beside the whiteboard, he looks around, each kid with their face planted forward and pencils moving. He starts to tap his pencil, feeling bored, tapping his feet, slowly, stopped writing for a few seconds, mind wandering off, why is time going so slow? As much as he loved art he did not like the academic part of it, he would rather spend his time drawing and making things instead. Oblivious, he is kicking Jimin’s chair, he stares at the images on the screen from the projector. 

“Ya!” says Jimin, turning around, “Can you stop kicking my chair?” Jungkook’s eyes widen, surprised, he did not realize, he likes at his feet against Jimin’s chair, ! Since it was quiet, it seemed like he shouted, everyone’s eyes were on Jungkook, he quickly adjusts himself, planting his shoes firm on the tiles, he was going to apologize but Jimin had already turned around as if nothing happened, he continues taking his notes. Rachel turns around and catches Jungkook’s eyes, who quickly averted his eyes, scribbling words in his notebook, he can tell she was still looking and then turned around facing forward. Jungkook sighs, wanting to just sink, he could not believe he was kicking his chair, nice way to make him hate me.

The bell rings, Mrs. Jasmine wraps up the lecture, “Okay guys, we are going leave it here, don’t forget to read chapter 2 and 3, for discussion tomorrow and the assignment.” Jungkook puts his notebook in his backpack, picking up his snapback and putting it on, he glances at Jimin who is already walking towards the door with Rachel, he wanted to apologize but too embarrassed to approach him.

He sighs and about to walk, Mrs. Jasmine calls him, he looks at her curious. He walks towards her desk, wondering if he is in trouble or something,

“Jungkook,” she says with a smile, “I just wanted to ask how you are getting on in the class, I know its weird changing in the middle of the year.”

He clears his throat, “Well, I want to take this class, I’m caught up, so everything is going well,” he says, “Um…I haven’t thanked you for making an exception, thank you.” She smiles,

“It was not a problem once I saw your drawings, they’re outstanding, your counselor told me you are passionate about art and since this class is a requirement for the advanced college course next year, I wanted to help you, as a teacher that’s my job. I look forward to seeing more of your work in this class.”

“Thank you, Mrs.,” he says, smiling,

“Alright, head on now, don’t you to be late to your class,” she says, “Is your class far?”

“I’m not sure,” he replies.

“Alright, “I’ll give you a late slip just in case okay,” she says, signing a late slip. She hands it to him, Jungkook thanks her and heads to his second period.

 

As Jungkook walks to his second period, literature which was on the other side of the hallway, not in a hurry because he has a late slip, he decides to take his time. As he walks he spots Jimin in the hallway on the other side, he stops for a second, pondering whether he should approach him and apologize for kicking his chair, he’ll think I’m weird though. He shakes his head and continues walking to his class, avoiding eye contact with Jimin.

 

The school was finally over, he walks Crystal to her car, silent, his mind occupied with thoughts of how to approach Jimin without looking like a freak. How do you approach someone you have never spoken too? Do you just introduce yourself in hopes it picks up from there?

“Why are so you quiet?” asks Crystal. He stares at her blank, he has always been quiet, so he did not understand the question,

“I’ve always been quiet,” he replies.

“Not like this,” she says, “Something on your mind, I know you, whenever you are overthinking, you have that look on your face.” He chuckles,

“You’re obviously seeing things,” he says, laughing it off but she just shrugs her shoulder.

They reach her car, it was a red Ford Mustang Convertible, a car his father would never buy for him. When he got his license, he asked for a car and he told him to get a job and start to save up, they were not poor, but his family was nowhere as loaded as Crystal’s family is. She opens the car,

“Let ‘me give you a ride,” she says. Jungkook smiles, as much as he wanted to, he did not like his friends giving him rides, he felt as if he was using her for some reason, his eyes look around,

“Do you want a ride or not?” she asks.

“Um…thanks but I brought my bike,” he rejects her nicely, “Thanks for the offer though.” She stares at him for a second and starts the car, he moves to the other side as she drives off. He sighs and walks towards the bike rack, eyes on the black concrete, suddenly, a loud beep, makes his ears deaf, he looks up, frozen, a blue Lexus was in front of him, a few feet away from him, confused he looks around, his heart racing, he almost got hit by a car and he had no idea. Students standing around the school waiting for their rides or passing by stop and stare at him, he stares at the car, seeing the faces in the car, Jimin and Rachel, they were as shocked as him. Jungkook stares at them, wondering if God had it out for him, how can he have such misfortune on the same day with the same person. He exhales, the window goes down and Jimin looks out the window, eyes wide and worried,

“Are you okay?” he asks, his voice shaking.

“Um…I’m okay,” says Jungkook.

Jimin sighs and turns to look at his friend, and then back at Jungkook, frowning,

“Do you always walk without looking where you’re going?” he shouts, taking him by surprise, he silently stares at him lost at words.

“Sorry,” apologizes Jungkook, he did not know to react, it was his fault for walking in the student parking without paying attention, it was good thing Jimin stopped right on time, or else his whole day would have been ed. He steps out onto the sidewalk, he glances back at the Lexus that was still there for a few seconds before driving, he sighs.

 

He reaches home, exhausted, how can things go wrong in just one day. He throws his backpack on the floor and falls on the bed. He might have been on Jimin’s radar before, he is without a doubt on the list of the people that irritate him for sure, first kicking his chair in class and then walking out in front of his car, almost getting hit. He shouts but his voice muffled by the pillow he was covering his face with. 

“, what a ed-up day!” he shouts.