Chapter 33: Final Exams & Summer Blues

In Love With You

In the blinding light of the June afternoon, the fan circulates cool air around the room. Jungkook can feel the coolness of it. Going outside was not an option with the heat bouncing off the streets and causing an illusion of wavering images. The scorched sand shimmering in the intense white rays of the sun made everyone hide in their house. With start of final exams and school ending tomorrow, no one had the time to hang out or go parting. Jungkook was excited as he sat on the floor across Jimin, thinking about how to celebrate their two-month anniversary. Jimin and he have officially been together for two whole months. He glances at Jimin who sat across from him, buried in his books, he stares at him wondering if it would be a good idea to disturb him while he is focusing on his exams. Even though they did not have the same class, they decided to study together. Jungkook has never seen Jimin as focus as he was right now, which was a turn on for him. It reminded him the first time they went to the library to work on their art project, Jimin was making the same faces, pursing his lips, tapping the pencil and biting his lip every now and then but the only difference was that he did not look bored. Instead, he was focused on learning the material which made sense since this was his last year in high school. Two days from now he is graduating. Jungkook sighs, wishing he was also a senior and standing beside Jimin at graduation and planning college with him.

“You keep looking at me, you'll never pass your test,” says Jimin without looking at him. Jungkook chuckles and picks up his pencil, flipping through his book, studying for his French period exam, unlike Jimin who was studying for his math exam.

“I can’t concentrate, it’s too hot,” whines Jungkook.

“Go get something cold to drink,” says Jimin, glaring at him. Jungkook rolls his eyes,

“Hyung…we started dating in March, technically we have been together for two months, want to do something together tonight?” Jimin lifts his eyes from his book, he stares at him for a second,

“You want to celebrate our two-month anniversary?” Jungkook breaks out in a huge grin,

“Yeah, doesn’t everyone?”

 Jimin sighs and puts down his pencil.

“I would love to, but we have our last finals tomorrow, I can’t afford to fail. Besides, two-month anniversaries are for teenage kids with nothing better to do.” Jungkook’s mouth open but no words came out. He frowns.

“So, I’m just a kid with nothing better to do?” Jimin chuckles realizing what he has just said as Jungkook pouts going back to his studies.

“I didn’t mean it like that…I”

“You’re not even in college and this is how you think. How would you be once you start college? I’m just going to be an annoying kid to you huh?”

“Ya, I didn’t mean like that, I’m just stressing over this exam… I’m not practically good at a math.” 

Jimin stares at Jungkook who was still pouting as he stares at his book, Jimin sighs, and smiles.

“Jungkook-ah.” Jungkook ignores him not responding.

“Jungkook-ah,” Jimin calls again, Jungkook looks at him,

“What?”

Jimin laughs, “Okay, what do you want to do tonight?”

“I thought you wanted to focus on your test?”

“Ya, come on now, I’m giving in.” 

Jungkook sighs.

“It wouldn’t be romantic if you don’t sincerely want to do anything tonight so just forget I said anything,” replies Jungkook. He gets up, heading to the kitchen. Jimin stares at him, as he opens the refrigerator, pulling out two bottles of water. Jungkook stares inside in the refrigerator, he wanted to put his head and scream on top of his lungs but takes a deep breath instead. He understands where Jimin is coming from, his finals are important, but his exams are as important, he must maintain his GPA, if he wants to go to CalArts. He was mad that Jimin dismissed him like that without any thoughts.

The day went by quickly, Jimin had left to go study more at home but still pouting at him, Jungkook did not bother to ask him to stay for dinner. 

It was dinner time, his books all over his bed, Jungkook was playing Overwatch on the computer taking his frustration out. The door opens, and his sister calls him but Jungkook ignores her, eyes glued to the computer. His sister sighs, annoyed and walks towards him, she stands behind him for a couple of seconds, shaking her head in disbelieve. She sighs and softly smacks him on the back of the head to get his attention.

 

"What the !" exclaims Jungkook glaring at his sister. She smacks him again,

 

"What?"

 

"Watch your mouth," she scolds him, "It's time for dinner, I'm not going to call you again. Aren't you supposed to be studying?" 

Jungkook sighs, ignoring her. His sister groans and walks out of his room. After bidding his online friend's bye, he turns off the computer and heads down for dinner. His father was home as well, it has been a while since they had dinner the three of them, it was refreshing for Jungkook, but he was still not over Jimin not wanting to do anything for their two-month anniversary. He takes a seat at his usual seat as his sister places the food on the table, mashed potatoes, vegetables, macaroni, and cheese. Jungkook stares at her,

"What's up with the thanks-giving recipe?"

His sister glares at him, "Don't eat it if you don't like it."

"Jeongguk," calls his father, telling him to knock it off with just one glare. Jungkook picks up the spoon and starts eating the mashed potatoes.

“So, any plans for the summer?” asks his dad, looking at him.

Jungkook swallows his food and stares at his father, not sure what to say. He doesn’t really have any plans, he wished he did but Jimin and his friends since the camping trip has been talking about doing a tour at UCLA over the summer.

“Nah,” he replies, stuffing his mouth his macaroni and cheese.

“How about you Jeongyeon?”

“Hmm…I was thinking about going on vacation, but I don’t know.”

“Vacation? With who? A ghost?” mock Jungkook.

“Why’re you being such an annoying brat today?”

“I’m not, I was just asking…who you are going with?”

“None of your business,” she replies.

“Okay guys,” says the father stepping him to stop their bickering. His father clears his throat,

“Maybe we can go on a family vacation?” Jungkook and Jeongyeon exchange looks confused,

“Like the three of us?” asks Jungkook.

“Yes, the three of us, it’s been awhile since we went anywhere so you guys decide if you’re up for it.”

“Hmm, last time we made plans you bailed on us, so maybe get vacation days from your work and then we’ll talk about it,” says Jeongyeon. His dad sighs, disappointed. Noticing the tension at the dinner table, he quickly finishes his food.

“May I be excused, I have a lot of studying to do.”

“Yes, you’re excused, go ahead and study,” replies his father. Jungkook picks up his plates,

“Just leave them,” says Jeongyeon, “You never put them in the dishwasher the right way.” Jungkook sighs but does not bother to argue with her and puts the plates down and heads to his room.

As soon as he gets in his room, he hears his phone ringing but was nowhere in sight. He searches through the pile of books and lecture notes and finds it under his binder. The phone was still ringing, he stares at it and it was Jimin. He takes a deep breath, maybe he wants to apologize for dismissing me. He answers the phone sitting down on the bed.

“Hello.”

“Hey…” says Jimin through the receiver, “Oh my god Jungkook-ah, you’ll never guess.”

“Guess what?” Jimin was laughing and giddy, he can tell over the phone, what’s he so happy about?”

“My dad bought me tickets for Busan,” says Jimin, “I’m going to spend the summer with my mom.” As soon as Jimin’s words left his mouth, Jungkook went silent. He felt a piercing pain in his stomach as if a shard of glass was jammed in his guts. The words choking the breath from his body and his mind went numb, struggling to find words.

“Hello?”

“Oh, that’s awesome Ji…Jiminie-hyung.”

“Okay, I’ll tell you all about it tomorrow. I must go, see you later. I love You!”

“I love…” The phone hangs up before Jungkook could reply. A repeating beep noise remained in his ear. Jungkook stares at the phone, gripping it tightly. Just when he thought things could not get any worse today. How is he supposed to spend the summer like he had hoped with Jimin being thousands of miles away? Jungkook groans frustrated as he tosses the phone aside, wishing he never answered it. He stares at the books and papers on his bed, how is he supposed to focus on his exam, knowing Jimin is going away for three months? The only three months they were going to have together before he leaves for University?

 

As the final day of school, the air was filled with an aurora that made Jungkook depressed. The morning before class everyone was taking pictures with their friends even Jungkook was taking pictures with his friends. He didn’t even have time to talk to Jimin since he was surrounded by his fan club, all saying goodbye to him. He could just walk over and tell them to leave but he was not in the mood since it looks like Jimin did not mind since he was taking pictures with them. Staring at Jimin with his fan club, he sighs.

“School went by quick, “says Crystal, glancing at her friends.

“Fast?” complains Yugyeom, “ went slowly as hell. I can’t wait for summer.”

Jungkook and Crystal burst out laughing,

“Oh, what are we doing for summer?” asks Jungkook, "My dad wants us to go on a family vacation but I don't know. I don't want to spend the summer with family."

“Let’s go somewhere,” says Crystal, “Aren’t Rachel and the others going on that UCLA Tour next month? Why don’t we join them?” Jungkook shrugs his shoulders. Since he and Jimin had a disagreement yesterday, he never brought up the topic of the anniversary. He wasn’t mad or upset, he just figured what would be the point of doing something if Jimin was not up to it. But more than that was the sudden phone call he got from Jimin after he went home yesterday. Telling him he is going to Busan and visiting his mom for the summer, his dad already bought him the ticket. And by the excitement in his voice, Jungkook did not know how to react except tell him that it was awesome, he gets to go see his mom which it was but he still could not help but feel sad. The phone call ended abruptly.

“Didn’t Jimin say anything?” 

“He is not going to be here for the summer,” he replies, “He is going to visit his mom in Busan.” Yugyeom and Crystal exchange looks,

“Wow, I thought you two were going to spend the summer together especially since he is leaving for college?” 

Jungkook annoyed looks at his watch wondering when the bell was going to ring so he can get this exam over with and go home. He glances over to where Jimin was standing surrounded by people, he has always been popular, now that Jungkook thinks about it. Surrounded by people all the time, it was amazing he even got anywhere near him. Jimin catches his eye and waves at him, Jungkook smiles and waves back at him. His heart tightens not able to bear the distance, it was just like the first time he and Jimin started noticing each other, he would gaze at him at a distance. He knows he can close the distance by simply walking over to him and dismissing everyone, but he knows it would be ridiculous but more so, he cannot bring himself to approach him. Standing in that spotlight was too much for him to bare. He will just have to wait until he is alone with Jimin and admire him from afar for now.

 

As the French teacher hands out the exam, Jungkook’s body was tingling, not because of the exam. Even though he does not like studying, in the cool of the classroom he can ace this stuff, he knows he can, he was smart like that. But his mind overwhelmed by other things like Jimin leaving for Busan for three months and then leaving for college, he wonders if he will be able to take a test in this state. As the white paper lands on his desk, he stares at the foreign words on the paper, out of all the language classes I had to choose French. After handing out the exam, the teacher tells them they have until the bell rings to finish the exam which is plenty of time to do the exam. The teacher tells them that they can leave once they finish their exams and wishes them luck as he tells them to go ahead and start the test.

After finishing the exam earlier than he had anticipated, Jungkook looks around at the other students, staring blankly at the exam. The exam consisted mostly of vocabulary and stories that needed translation and time telling in French, so it was all easy for him even though he feels like he rushed through it just, so he can get out of the cramped room. He gets up and walks over to the teacher’s desk. The teacher eyes him with a concerned look,

“You don’t want to look over it?” asks the teacher in French. Jungkook nods his head no and hands the paper to him. The teacher puts the paper on the desk aside,

“Are you going to take the advanced class next year?” Jungkook smiles,

“I don’t know.”

“Well, you should, you’re good at French.”

“Thank you.”

“Anyway, have a wonderful summer vacation, Mr. Jeon.”

“Thank you, sir, you too.”

Jungkook heads towards the door, resting his hand on the cool metal of the door. He opens it and walks out, not looking back, French is not his favorite subject and he is not planning on subjecting himself to torture next year.

As soon as he steps out of the classroom, he takes out his cellphone, he sends a text to Jimin asking if he is done with his text and if he is, he should meet him at the rooftop. Students were not allowed to hang around the school once they were done with their tests so as to avoid being seen by the dean or a teacher, Jungkook walks to the rooftop. 

On top of the roof the weather was hot but since it was still morning, there was a cooling breeze that followed the hot weather. Standing over the edge with his earphones on, Jungkook stares at the city, over the hilltops across the green grass field, the same soccer field he first saw Jimin. He still could not believe he would be standing on this rooftop with Jimin again, their secret hides out was now going to be abandoned. He felt an ache in his heart, but he could point a finger at where it was coming from. How can he miss someone who has not left yet? Is this how lonely next year is going to be like? He wonders staring out wide fields and hilltops. His head swam with memories of listening to music and eating with Jimin on the rooftop. He closes his eyes, as his melancholy mood hung over him like a black cloud. Summer was supposed to help him get over the feeling of missing Jimin but now that Jimin was leaving for Busan, Jungkook cannot help but feel an emptiness. 

"So much for the season of Love," he mutters underneath his breath.

Oblivious the school bell ringing, the door opens and Jimin walks in. He slowly tiptoes and grabs Jungkook from behind startling him. Jimin burst out laughing as Jungkook quickly turns around, taking out his earphones. Jimin was bent over, holding his stomach laughing, he seems to be in a good mood. Jungkook stares at him dumbfounded as Jimin catches his breath and gazes at him, there it was his full body laugh and eye smile. He must be in a good mood.

“Why’re spacing out for?”

“I wasn’t spacing out, I was waiting for you like forever.”

“Sorry,” says Jimin in a cute voice, he must be so happy…why shouldn’t he be, he’s going to see his mom.

“Hello,” says Jimin, snapping his fingers, “You’re spacing out.”

“Sorry hyung.”

“Hmm, anyway, I believe I passed that test, how did you do?”

“It’s French, it wasn’t hard, mainly vocabularies.”

Jimin stretches out his arms, “Ahh! I’m going to miss this place.”

“I’m going to miss you,” mutters Jungkook underneath his breath.

“Huh? What did you say?”

Jungkook chuckles, robbing his nap, “Nothing.”
Jimin sighs, “You know, you’re not really good at lying.” Jungkook stares at him, wondering what Jimin is talking about.

“You’re still mad about the anniversary thing. Isn’t that why you didn’t approach me this morning?”

“Oh, I’m not upset,” says Jungkook defensively.

“Hmm…you’re more honest when you're drunk, you talk about the things you want.”

“When I'm drunk?”

“Yeah, when you got drunk at my party a month ago…you threw up like everywhere. Before you fell asleep, you told me how you always feel like you’re chasing after me and…you don’t want me to go to UCLA…I’m sure you don’t want to me to go to Busan also.” Jungkook stares at him speechless, not believing that he said all those things.

“Yeah, well…” he says clearing his throat, “I don’t want you to go but it’s ridiculous, you should do what you want hyung. I would be happier if you did the things you love than give in to my insecurities.”

“Do I give you a reason to be insecure?” The question takes Jungkook by surprise, he stares at Jimin, wondering if he was being serious and he was. Jungkook chuckles,

“Of course not, it has nothing to do with you hyung, I promise. I love you and I know you love me but I guess I also can be kinda of possessive.” Jimin smiles, a huge grin and his eyes sparkles, smiling even, it was hard to turn from his eyes. Something about his smiles always makes Jungkook's heart skip a beat.

“Hmm, let’s take a picture,” says Jimin pulling out his cell phone. He stands beside Jungkook, who was standing still like a statue, taken aback at how random Jimin can be. Jimin pulls him closer by his waist, Jungkook laughs and wraps his arm around his shoulder. Jimin takes the picture and stares at it, already reminiscing.

“Well, school is over so let’s go.” Jungkook nods his head as Jimin starts to walk away but his feet remain glued to the ground. Jimin turns around and stares at him, walking back towards him, as Jungkook stood still, head down.

“Are you okay?” asks Jimin, rubbing his shoulder, “Why do you look so down?” Jungkook sighs and gazes at him, as his eyes read Jimin. He gently pulls Jimin in his arms, wrapping his arms around him, squeezing him. Taken by surprise Jimin at the sudden gesture, Jimin did not know how to react.

“One last hug in our secret hideout,” mumbles Jungkook, fighting back the will to cry and look like a kid in front of his boyfriend even though it would not be the first time. Jimin’s hands wrap around his back and squeeze him back, as his head pressed against Jungkook’s white t-shirt. They breathe in unison, and the warm blood that they could feel in each other’s' embrace, made them laugh and heart flutter.

“I can’t believe school is over so quickly,” says Jimin.

“I know right.”

“Oh, I wish we could stay like this forever. I had so many things planned for the summer.”

“Yeah, but we’ll still have time to be together before you go to Busan.” Jimin sighs, inhaling Jungkook’s scent. He gasps and quickly breaks out of his arms, Jungkook stares at him stunned. With a huge smile, Jimin gazes into his eyes,

“Come with me.”

“Come where?”

“To Busan, my mom would love to meet you and we can spend the summer together.” Jungkook stares at him, dumbfounded, he did not think about it. He breaks out in a huge grin.

“Um…don’t you think we would be moving to fast?”

“We knew each other less than a month and started dating, meet each other’s parents and said I love you to each other…I think we’re past that point of moving too fast.” Jungkook laughs at Jimin’s sarcasm but he was right. They have been going to the same school for many years now and now all suddenly they are dating and planning their future together. It would awesome to go to Busan, he has not been back for many years.

“Okay, I’ll go to Busan with you.”

“Yes!” shouts Jimin, laughing.

“I have to ask my dad, but actually my dad asked my sister and I if we wanted to take a vacation.”

“Wow, perfect timing.”

"Yeah, now I know where I want to go. I positive he won't refuses especially since that's where my mom is buried."

"I'll get to meet your mom too." Jungkook stares at him and smiles. The thoughts of his mom used to upset him but now he realizes how much he misses her and wants to visit her grave. 

Jimin wraps his arms around Jungkook, hugging him and Jungkook hugs back tighter. Spending the Summer with Jimin and his mother in Busan was not something he thought of, but he was happy just being with Jimin.  All the thoughts that had overwhelmed him evaporate into the back of his head. He does not want to think about the what if? of the future. All he knows is this is not a new beginning for Jimin and him, it was the start of their future together.

Jimin belongs to him and he loves him with all his heart and right now, at the same spot they fell in love at, that is all that matters to him as childish as that sounds.

“Want to go watch a movie tonight and maybe a dinner date?” asks Jimin, 

“Huh?”

“Yeah, to celebrate our anniversary.” Jungkook burst out laughing, not believing his ears, he stares at him for a couple of seconds.

“What?”

“you're so annoying sometimes. I would love to go watch a movie and have dinner with you.”

Jimin kisses him on the cheek and heads for the door. Jungkook hurries and walks beside him. Just being near him gives him a serenity he can never know without him being close. It's like when he is away the breaths he takes are not full, like the smiles Jungkook smiles are incomplete somehow. It was Jimin that creates the warmth in his soul, him that fills him full of love and keeps the fire burning in my eyes. A feeling Jungkook never thought he would ever feel in his life. A feeling he is looking to explore for the rest of his life. ​​​​​​​