Chapter 6: Just a Little Comfort

In Love With You

Time went by while they laid on the slide, Jungkook’s body starting to ache from the uncomfortable and hard surface he was laying on, he opens his eyes. He glances over at Jimin’s side, but he was not on there, Jungkook quickly sits up, he did not realize he dozed off for that long, he hears chatters coming from the swings. He peers over and Jimin was sitting on the swing, talking on the phone. Jungkook stretches out his arms, cracking his back and neck stiff from sleeping on the slide, he walks over to the swings, Jimin looks at him but continues talking on the phone, from the look of it, it sounded like an important call. He silently sits on the swing, next to him, his mind still wondering why Jimin suddenly asked him to ditch lunch with instead of his friends, they did not know each other and they have not even introduced themselves properly to each other. Not wanting to bombard him with questions, Jungkook just sits there, watching him,  he seems like he was in a bad mood again. 

Jungkook calming his racing heart sits silently listening to him talk on the phone realizing he is speaking Korean. He hangs up the phone, sighing loudly irritated, Jungkook turns forward, kicking the sand underneath his feet slightly without making it dusty,

“Ahhhhh! I’m so annoyed,” says Jimin, suddenly, Jungkook turns to look at him, giving him his attention, hoping Jimin can tell him what has been upsetting him all morning.

“You know,” Jimin continues, “People at school aside from my close friends, don’t know that my parents are divorced.” Jungkook surprised stares at him, his parents are divorced? why tell me?

“Yeah,” he says, “That was my dad on the phone, I had a fight with my stepmom last night, I slept at Bambam and came straight to school, he was yelling cause I refuse to apologize to her.” Jungkook attentively listens, not judging him or making comments, to busy trying to figure why Jimin is telling him something so personal,

“Like she wants to act like my mom,” continues Jimin, his voice getting higher and more frustrated, “I already have a mom, I don’t need her telling me what to do.” He exhales, looking back at Jungkook, he quickly averts his gaze, to nervous to keep eye contact with him. Jimin chuckles,

“I don’t even know why I’m telling you this,” he says, “I don’t even know you and you don't know me.”

“I’ll listen if you want to talk about it,” says Jungkook, eyeing him, they gaze at each other for a second, before Jimin looks away,

“You’re weird,” he mutters underneath his breath but loud enough for Jungkook to hear, making him chuckle, not minding being called weird,  Jimin looks at his watch,

“School is over in a few minutes,” he says, getting off the swing, “I’m gonna head home, thanks for keeping me company.” Jungkook follows him with his eyes, he did not know what to say or do. Jimin picks up his backpack putting it over his shoulders, he turns and looks at Jungkook,

“You gonna stay here?”

“Might as well head home too,” replies Jungkook walking towards the slide, grabbing his backpack.

As they walk back to the school, it was quiet, they run across the street to the other side, heading for school student parking’s, the school buses were already arriving and parked in front of the school; only a few minutes until the final bell went off, Jungkook slowly strolling behind him. He watches him as he was walking, he would kick any small rock in front of him. Jungkook chuckles, for someone who often acts cool,  he was being childish, which made Jungkook wonder if anyone has seen this side of him. Jimin stops in front of a blue Lexus, the same one that almost ran Jungkook over a week ago. Since that event, he was sure Jimin would hate him, but he was confused now more than ever with Jimin approaching out of the blue. Jungkook being someone who can easily read people, he could not figure him out, which made him wonder if that is the reason he is attracted to him, the mysterious aura that he emits. 

The school bell rings.

“Did you park around here too?” asks Jimin, staring at him,

“Um, not really,” he replies, Jimin stares at him puzzled,

“Then why’d you walk all the way here?” Jungkook shrugs his shoulders, feeling awkward, he was just following him,

“Anyway,” says Jimin, “I feel better, thanks for keeping me company.” He opens his car, tossing his backpack in the backseat and getting in, “Don’t tell anyone what I told you about my parents, or else you’ll regret it”

Jungkook guff’s, standing aside so he can drive out, Jimin pulls out of the drive away, Jungkook watches him as he turns. He sighs, amused, how can someone be nice and mean at the same time, one time he thanks him the next he is threatening him, so complicated, does this mean we’re friends or I was just someone in the right place at the right time, maybe that is why he asked to go with him. No matter what reason Jungkook can come up with, he was just happy his presence was able to provide him a little comfort and taking the first step towards being friends with him.

Kids were walking out of the school, he did not want to wait for his sister, he messages Yugyeom asking him to give him a ride home, still processing the fact that he spent two hours with Jimin, without his heart exploding but he was able to control himself, and not act like a freak. His phone beeps with a reply from Yugyeom asking him where he was at, he tells him to meet him up in front of the building.

He spots Yugyeom and Crystal, he calls out to them, they walk to where he is standing. They seemed puzzled, staring at him,

“Dude where did you disappear to during lunch?” asks Yugyeom,

“Nowhere,” replies Jungkook, “I wasn’t hungry, so I decided to go to the park, I fell asleep.” He clears his throat, “let’s go.”

 

On the way home, Jungkook decides to go to Yugyeom’s house for a round of a game, he texts his sister to let him know. Yugyeom, unlike Jungkook, did not have his license but his family have a driver, that basically drives him around which is one of the reasons Jungkook believes he does not want to get his license. What’s the point of a license when you had your own personal driver, his family were not crazy rich, but they had enough money, his dad is an attorney and his mom owns her own famous cosmetic company. His parents spoil him a lot since he is an only child, unlike Jungkook, his dad never gives him something easily, he always must work for it, by doing choirs around the house which he never does.

As soon as they come home, they run up the stairs into Yugyeom’s room, Jungkook throws his backpack on the floor, falling on the bed laughing, Yugyeom tosses his backpack next to him, walking over to the video game console,

“Yo, I got an epic new game, want to try it out,” he asks, holding up the cover, Jungkook sits up, staring at it,

“Let me see?” he says, Yugyeom tosses him the cover, “Far Cry, I’ve heard it, but this one is not released until March 27, how did you get it?

“My dad,” replies Yugyeom, “Someone gave it to him as a thank you gift or something, anyway I played the others and they were cool, this is the newest version though.” Jungkook stares at him, amazed,

“Wow, must be good having a connection,” he teases him, “Okay, pop it in, let’s play.” He tosses the game back to Yugyeom who catches it, tossing him the remote controller in return, inserting the game.

 

The game went on for hours, they through three bowls of popcorn chicken and empty soda cans lay all over the carpet, as they were occupied with a boxing game which they decide to play after they decided to take a break from playing Far cry. Both being competitive people,  the game went on longer than they anticipated. Jungkook yawns, looking at the time, it was already four o’clock, he wonders if the school called his home for the two classes he missed, 

“Whoo!” shouts Yugyeom, “You’re dead, I won.” Jungkook's mouth drops open, staring at the screen, he was distracted for a few seconds and he ended up losing the round,

“!” he shouts, “Redo, I was thinking about something.”

“A loss is a loss, Ain’t my fault,” says Yugyeom, “Let’s start round two, where your mind at anyway?” Jungkook sighs, wanting to tell Yugyeom about his crush on Jimin, but does not know where to begin, zoning out for a second, Yugyeom snap his finger in front of his face, getting his attention,

“Want to play round two or not?”

“Oh, sorry,” says Jungkook, he presses the start button, and the game begins, moving his fingers to block a punch and throws one, as Yugyeom quickly blocks it,  he clears his throat, if there was going to be an opportunity to seek advice from Yugyeom it would be now,

“Say,” he says, “would it be weird if I told you I have a crush on someone?”

“No,” answers Yugyeom, his eyes glued to the screen, “It’s about time though, I thought you were planning on being a loner throughout high school. Do I know them?” Jungkook guffs, shaking his head,

“You’re a loner too,” he retorts, quiet for a second, “It’s not a she, it’s a guy, you kind of know him, you probably saw him around the school.”

“Hmm,” says Yugyeom, looking at Jungkook, “Is it Mike? You had something with him, didn’t you?”

“It’s not Mike,” says Jungkook, “It’s…Jimin, Park Jimin.” Yugyeom turns to him, puzzled and shocked,  

“Jimin? The senior Jimin?” Jungkook nods his head, Yugyeom silent, his mouth opening as if to say something, but nothing comes out, he sighs

“How? You guys like from totally different worlds” Jungkook could not understand the question, he stares at Yugyeom.

“Well…I have a class with him.”

“Wow, I mean…you’re serious? Says Yugyeom,

“Would I mention it to you if I wasn’t serious?

“Well, he is good looking, well actually he is beyond good looking, he's  beautiful, so I can see why you would like him,” says Yugyeom, his voice changing, “But you do know he’s like bad news right?”

Jungkook chuckles, “Bad news?”

“Yeah, I mean I heard so many things about him from around the school, he used to go out with this girl, Tiffany or something, but he dumped her so coldly, like in front of everyone at a party, it was humiliating,  many girls have been heartbroken because he turned them down cold.” Jungkook laughs,

“So, he broke up with someone and turned down girls, how does that make him bad news? we all did that, it's high school.”

“Well, yeah but the only reason he went out with Tiffany in the first places was because of a bet he made with his friends, and his stepsister told Crystal, he treated her like trash, dated her for a week and walked away, he is so egoistic besides that his fan club is insane, they hear you like Jimin, they will make your life a living hell.” 

Jungkook stares at Yugyeom, he can tell his friend was serious, but he does not believe those things about Jimin, going back to how worried Jimin was when he stepped out in front of his car, his compliment about his drawing skills on the first day of school and of course listening to music with him today. It's impossible, how can someone like Jimin be as those people say, I mean, he is popular, his friend Rachel is the captain of the cheerleading squad, his fan club seems kind of crazy, stepsister? Jimin did tell him he has a stepmom, but he does not seem like someone who has a sister that goes to the same school as him, maybe they don’t get along, so her words aren’t unbiased. Jungkook bites his lower lip, pondering over the things he is hearing, he shakes his head clearing his thoughts, he is not the type of person to judge someone based on what others say but neither was Yugyeom, so unless there is some truth to those things, he would not say those things about someone he did not know.

“Anyway,” says Yugyeom, “I don’t mean to be pessimistic and it’s fine if you like him, but you better be careful how close you get to him.” Jungkook clears his throat,

“Let’s continue the game,” he says, changing the subject,

“You’re not mad, are you?

“Nah, I’m not that petty,” says Jungkook laughing but his mind all over the place, “I don’t want to talk about it anymore.”

“I mean, can I ask why you like him?” asks Yugyeom,

“Honestly,” says Jungkook, running his fingers through his hair, “I’m not even sure, I just feel attracted to him, from the first time I saw him, I just felt like this strong pull towards him. Sounds dumb huh?” Yugyeom looks at him as if trying to read his mind,

“Sounds like you’re wimped,” he teases Jungkook, they both burst out laughing, returning to their game. Jungkook stares at the controller for a second, he did not want to believe those things people say about Jimin, the Jimin in his dream and the Jimin at park, did not seem capable of doing those horrible things, of course Jungkook knew he is kind of egoistic and conceited just by observing him but he also realizes there is so much about Jimin he did not know. Maybe he is as cold-hearted as people say or maybe it is just rumored around the school. Either way, he will not know for sure until he witnessed those things for himself, then he can decide whether crushing on Jimin is something worth pursuing, for now, the only thing he wants to focus on is simply being around him and gaining his trust.