Chapter 29: Nightmare of the Spring Term

In Love With You

Spring break went smoothly than Jungkook had thought. He and Jimin got closer than ever even though he did not mention Crystal being in love with him. He figured it is not important and besides it was Crystal’s business, even though the matter made him feel awkward. He no longer knows how to act around her, but he knows it is not worth it making it a big deal if she is not willing to. He woke in a good mood, excited to go to school and meet up with Jimin, with only two months left of school, he wants to spend every minute with him. Going camping and talking about their life after high school made him realize, time goes by quickly. As soon as he reaches the school, he heads to the school rooftop. He opens the door and as he suspected, Jimin was leaning over wall staring into the distance with his earphones in. Jungkook tiptoes and grabs him by his waist, startled Jimin, screams. Jimin turns around and glares at him,

“Childish,” he says, taking out his earphones. Jungkook laughs, happy he succeeded in scaring him. Jimin rolls his eyes and turns back to staring into the distant, Jungkook stands beside him. He takes his one earbud, “What’re you listening to?”

“Listen,” says Jimin, taking the earbud and gently places into Jungkook’s ear, making him flinch from the tickling motion. Jimin plays the song and it was a song by Chainsmokers called Closer. They silently stand side by side, staring into the distance at top of the building, looking at the tiny people and cars. The weather was fresh and cool on the top of the roof, Jungkook turns around and gazes at Jimin, thinking this will be what he is going to miss the most when Jimin graduates. Being with him doing the most mundane thing, listening to music together staring into nothing, enjoying each other’s presences.

The day in classes was a nightmare, it was as if all the teachers got together and decided to torture the students with homework assignments and quizzes to test if they still remember everything. Jungkook staring at the clock just wanted to go to lunch. Spring Break was only a week and it was starting to feel like it was a whole month due to the teachers exaggerating that they probably forgot everything over the break. As smart as he is, doing a physic quiz on the first day of school was giving him a headache. He looks around the room, every student in the room had the same torturous expression as they stare at the white paper in front of them. He sighs and goes back to staring at his paper, it was only a review quiz, but it felt like an exam. His brain decided to sleep, nothing seemed familiar, he sighs, deciding to just guess on it.

It was finally lunch time, they get their lunch they sit down at their table.

“Aww, I miss Spring Break,” whines Jimin, “taking about finals is not fun at all.”

“Tell me about it,” says Rachel, “Like we have one month until graduation, but they are acting like we are taking finals next week.” Jungkook, Yugyeom, and Crystal laugh being juniors the teachers are not stressing them out about finals like Jimin and his friends.

“Speaking about next week,” says Bambam, “Prom!”

“Oh yes!” says Sasha, “And after that, we got the senior week, senior grad night, oh the only things making being a senior bearable.” The seniors start cheering and hitting the table, excited,

“Must nice to be a senior,” says Yugyeom, “I can’t wait.”

“It’s only fun at the end of the year towards graduation,” says Liam. The rest of the table was filled with talks of exams, graduation and summer break, which is the one thing everyone was looking forward to despite just returning from Spring Break.

 

The day went by slowly, Yugyeom wraps his shoulder around Jungkook and Crystal,

“Man, today was a pain,” he says dragging his friends with him as they head for the exit towards the parking lot.

“Oh Jungkook,” says Crystal, “How are you getting home, want a ride?” Jungkook shoves Yugyeom’s arm off,

“Nah, Jiminie-hyung is giving me ride,” he replies,

“Ohhh Jiminie-hyung,” teases Yugyeom, “That’s ing cute, so cute.” Jungkook punches him in the shoulder and takes of running and Yugyeom takes off after him.

“Hey, wait for me!” shouts Crystal running after them.

Jungkook stops in front of Jimin’s car as Yugyeom was about to punch him back but stops when he sees Bambam with Jimin. Not wanting to appear like a child, he laughs it off, waving at them. Jungkook burst out laughing not used to seeing his friend so whipped and shy around Bambam.

“Are you getting a ride with Jimin also?” asks Jungkook looking at Bambam,

“Nope,” says Bambam, “Just keeping him company until you arrived.”

‘I’ll walk you to your car,” blurs out Yugyeom, everyone got silent, Bambam shyly nods his head as he says bye to them and Yugyeom follows him.

“They’re cute,” says Jimin, turning to Crystal just noticing her, he smiles at her and she smiles back,

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow,” she says walking away. They wave bye at her and Jimin opens the car door,

“Why was Yugyeom chasing you?” he asks as he gets in the car,

“Oh, no reason,” replies Jungkook.

Jimin starts the car and pulls out of the parking lot. Jungkook fondles with the radio and Jimin glares at him, he hates people even his boyfriend messing with his radio. Jungkook grins and volumes up to the radio, leaving it alone when Jimin glares at him.

“Hyung,” calls Jungkook,

“Yeah.”

“Want to go to prom with me?” asks Jungkook with a huge grin. Jimin scoffs shaking his head,

“No, I want to go with my boyfriend,” he teases. They stare at each other before laughing.

 

It was prom week and the halls were crowded with people and the noises and uplifting chatters was like something out of a movie. There were couples making out everywhere. A few feet from Jungkook was standing with his friends were a group of boys walking towards them. Jungkook and his friends glance at each other as the boys stop in front of them, talking amongst themselves they push forward a boy.

“Um…hi Crystal,” says the boy, smiling shyly, Jungkook and Yugyeom both turn at Crystal who stares at the boy dumbfounded,

“Um, Jonathan, hi,” says Crystal. The boy clears his throat and turns back to his friends who suddenly pull out a huge red poster board with the words prom written on it with hearts and decorations.

“Will you be my prom date?” asks Jonathan blushing, taking Crystal by surprise. Jungkook and Yugyeom’s mouth drop open, they stare at their friend.

“Well go on,” says Yugyeom pushing Crystal forward and she turns around and glares at him.

“Um…” says Crystal, “I already have a date.” Jungkook and Yugyeom glance at each other chuckling in silence,

“She has a date?” whispers Yugyeom. Jungkook shrugs his shoulders staring at the boy who looked defeated but kept a smile on his face,

“Oh,” he says, “Okay.”

They watch him as he walks away with his friends, Crystal sighs turning back to her friends.

“You have a date to prom?” asks Jungkook. Crystal takes one glance back and turns back to her friends,

“No,” she replies, “Kid is kind of obsessed with me since I helped him in math class.” Yugyeom and Jungkook burst laughing, staring at her.

 

As usual for lunch, Jungkook and Jimin decide to meet up at the rooftop, their usual hang out but since Spring Break ended they have been meeting up there every day at lunch. After eating, they sat down chatting with each other.

“Oh, you won’t believe it,” says Jimin, brushing his hair back,

“What?”

Jimin chuckles and clears his throat, “Tiffany asked me out to prom.” Jungkook turns and looks at him, puzzled.

He scoffs, “Seriously?” Jimin nods his head,

“In class, she in’ weird,” he says, “I felt so awkward, but I couldn’t stop laughing either.”

“Hmm, Mr. popular huh?” teases Jungkook, “Someone asked Crystal out to prom this morning, it was hilarious.”

Jimin looks at him, “Yeah, what did she say?”

“She rejected him,” replies Jungkook laughing but Jimin stares at the apple slices in front of him, silent. Jungkook gazes at him,

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, just wondering why she would turn him down? I mean if all my friends had dates, I would not want to be single at the dance. Maybe she is hoping to spend with it you,” says Jimin with a smirk. Jungkook sighs not finding his joke funny since Crystal did tell him she still has feelings for him, Jimin notices his stern expression.

“What is it?”

“Can you not joke about that anymore?” he says in a serious tone. Jimin scoffs,

“Just saying, the way she looks at you is not friendship.” Jungkook sighs, clearing his throat,

“Maybe…that’s because she is,” he says, his voice trailing. It gets silence as Jimin turns to look at him, making sure he heard correctly.

“Wait did you say she is in love with you?” he asks baffled. Jungkook nods his head,

“She told me at the camp,” he replies. Jimin stares at him speechless as his eyes search Jungkook’s.

“And when were you planning on telling me?” he asks,

“Well, I was going to, but I figured what difference would it make,” he says, “It’s not like it matters.” Jimin scoffs,

“You’re kidding right?” he says, “Your ex-tells you, they are still in love with you and you don’t think that it’s important if it wasn’t important she would have never told you.”

“I mean we talked about it,” explains Jungkook wondering why Jimin was making it a big deal, “She knows it’s impossible between us and the most I can offer is my friendship.” Jimin laughs but his laugh was cynical and disbelieving.

“And I’m guessing she said your friendship means more to her than anything right?” asks Jimin, “That she’ll get over you and blah, blah, blah.” Jungkook glares at him, not apricating his tone,

“Why do you have to be rude about it?” asks Jungkook,

“Cause’ no girl confesses to a guy without wanting something in return, that’s bull,” says Jimin, “and you’re not doing her a favor by offering her friendship if anything you just gave her false hope.”

“False hope?” says Jungkook scoffing, “Crystal is not that conning, I have known her for a long, not everyone can be heartless and cut off people like you.” As soon as the words escape Jungkook’s mouth, he immediately regretted. Jimin picks his eyes off the ground and raised his eyebrows, staring at Jungkook.

“Wow,” he says, “So not wanting to befriend a crazy like Tiffany or staying friends with my exes makes me heartless?” Jungkook sighs in silence, cursing at himself,

“I didn’t mean it like that,” he says.

“So, what did you mean?”

“I just meant…Crystal is one of my best friends okay, I just can’t cut her off just cause’ she still has feelings for me.” Jimin smiles to himself and looks at Jungkook not amused. His silence making Jungkook anxious as he waits for him to say something.

“And if I tell you I don’t want you to hang out with her?” Jungkook stares at him, puzzled, he laughs but stops realizing that he was not joking. His mouth slightly opens, looking for a way out, regretting bringing up the topic.

“Jimin-hyung,” he says, “You said you trust, if that’s the case then why does it matter if Crystal still has feelings for me or not when I don’t feel the same?”

 Jimin sighs, “Whether you feel the same or not is not the issue, the issue is you acting like this girl is made of stones or something. She is in love with you and she’ll never get over you because you’re not giving her the chance to. I might come off as heartless but at least I’m honest.”

“And I’m not being honest?”

“Not with her because if you were you would realize how selfish you sound right now because as long as you keep giving her the notion that she still has a spot in your life, she’ll keep feeling like there is room for her and a chance for you two.” Jungkook gets silence, everything Jimin was saying starting to make sense but he still could not comprehend it, and the more they talk about it the more upset he is.

“Okay whatever,” says Jungkook, “Can we stop talking about it now?” Jimin sighs,

“Okay, I didn’t mean to make you mad,” he says, “Just think about, you might think you’re doing her a favor but you’re not.” Jungkook exhales loudly irritated,

“Jimin-hyung, stop making it a big deal okay, why do you always turn things into a drama?”

“I’m not.”

“Look, you don’t know anything about my friendship with Crystal. She has always been there for me, Yugyeom and Crystal are my closest friends. My relationship with her was not just a whim, we were together for two years but before all that, we’ve always been friends, great friends so I’m sorry if I come off as selfish for not wanting to destroy our friendship,” snaps Jungkook. Jimin’s eyes widen at Jungkook’s sudden rise of voice and tone.

“Okay, whatever,” says Jimin with sarcasm as he stands up. Jungkook scoffs looking at him, “I’m gonna go.” Jungkook stares at him as he walks towards the door, not sure of what to say. To upset to say anything else, what would be the point of making him stay if they are just going to keep going back and forth about the whole thing? The door slams shut behind Jimin, Jungkook sighs, his heart aching and his mind a mess.

“,” he mumbles. Why doesn’t he understand that I just can’t cut people like him? Why does he have to be right about everything?