Written Serenades

My JongKey Oneshots
Please log in to read the full chapter
Kim Jonghyun is dead set on stealing Kim Kibum's heart through his lyrical letters. Let the parade of serenades begin.

Written Serenades

written by: bluefloral

***

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” Kim Kibum, famous by his nickname, Key, muttered to himself as his eyes gave a once over on their new class list for the second semester posted in their hallway’s bulletin board, glaring slightly at the name that caught his attention.

 

6. Kim Jonghyun

7. Kim Kibum

….

Him and nitwit are classmates. Great, he mentally face-palm, rolling his eyes. Now his last high school year would be pretty chaotic. It doesn’t help the fact that nitwit is constantly flirting with him ever since this school year began. Who in their right mind would stalk someone from the different major when their own major is situated at another building?

Trying to keep himself calm, he draw a long breath and made his way to his classroom. SM Academy is one of the most elite school in their city, its education system one of the best in the country especially when it comes to students aiming to take field in sports, music, arts, and design.

Every student is divided in different majors depending on their chosen track but their homeroom is based on their core subjects. Nitwit is a Music major while him is an Arts major. This is the first time that they shared homeroom together, but Key doesn’t understand why Jonghyun is dead-set on flirting (more like irritating) him.

Before continuing to his classroom, he made a quick stop at his lockers. He grabbed the things he needed, quirked his eyes at the small mirror placed on top and mentally smiled, I’m so –

“Hi Kibum!” He slammed his locker shut upon hearing that loud, irritating voice being said near his ears, his heart having a mini attack when nitwit’s smiling face came into view.

“Do you mind?” Key muttered, glaring slightly at the brunette who is dead set on stealing his patience whenever his face came into view. “and don’t call me Kibum. It’s Key.”

“Eh? Your name’s Kibum anyway. I can’t stare at the person I admire?” This is why Key hates Kim Jonghyun. He’s so straight-forward it’s not even funny. He didn’t know what to answer and made his way to their homeroom class instead, Jonghyun still in-tow.

“So, I’m hosting a party tonight. You can come if you want.”

Kibum stopped walking and turned to his side, “I’m not interes-“

“Taemin will be there, and Minho also.” Jonghyun added his best friend’s name, knowing Key can’t resist the thought of Taemin being along with his boyfriend in a party.

Tsk, this is always the downside of everything, Kibum miserably thought. No matter what, nitwit will always be stuck in his life through Minho. That frog-eyed giant. Kibum cursed in his head.

Eversince Minho, that tall, popular, frog-eyed athlete and Nitwit’s (he would never call him by his given name, never ever) best friend, started dating his one-year younger best friend-slash-baby Taemin, he can’t help but become an over-protective mother hen towards Taemin, making sure the taller boy knows his limits and should never ever hurt his baby because he’ll’ be a dead meat, broken bones and all. (Even-though he’s not sure if he can take on Minho by himself, he’ll probably need his older cousin and Taemin’s hyung, Jinki to help him do it. He’ll just be the one digging the grave or something. Right, since when did he become a serial killer, anyway?)

“Okay fine.” He’ll do anything to keep his baby’s innocence intact.

“Nice!” Jonghyun wrapped an arm around Key’s shoulder, large smile slowly dropping when he noticed Key’s hard glare towards him at his sudden skinship, retracting his arms instead and pouting at Key’s retreating form.

***

Honestly, Jonghyun doesn’t remember when his feelings for a certain blond started. He was in his last year in Middle School when he first met Key.

Key was Kibum back then, feline eyes covered with square-fit glasses and an always smiling face to match his positive attitude towards life. He was supposed to sit-in on an English class one afternoon and it so happens that Kibum was his seat-mate.

He was entranced by then, so shock to form a coherent sentence when Kibum asked if does anyone sit in the vacant chair next to his, shaking his head negatively instead. Turns out that Kibum is also sitting-in that specific period because he missed the lecture of his subject teacher, the one who is going to be their instructor that time.

Over the course of that hour and a half-long lecture, Jonghyun can’t help but steal glances at the boy beside him, immediately facing ahead when he feels that Kibum notices his unusual stares. Ever-since then, Jonghyun continued to stalk the other boy. Learning that Kibum took Arts as his major in their high school year while he pursued Music, forming a band called Guilty Pleasure which instantly became famous especially in the girl’s population. It was not only Jonghyun who’ve changed that year though.

They were in their 2nd year in high school when Kibum changed, dying his hair blond, ridding of his eyeglasses to contact lenses, and losing his cheerful attitude with a bored one, as if he’s done dealing with all the things happening in this world. Jonghyun wished to know what happened with his Kibum.

What happened?

All his over-thinking must be affecting his facial features for his fellow band member and their guitarist, Seunghyun, nudged him and asks him what’s wrong.

“Nothing,” Jonghyun mumbles, looking up as he saw his band-mates entering their frequented practice room, the school kindly giving them one since their pretty famous in their district address, inviting them for charity events and such to perform.

“Jonghyun, you bastard! Since when did you began this whole hosting a party thing, huh? You don’t even turn up to one when we invite you!” Woohyun, their drummer, asked, pointing the drum stick at the vocalist with a pointed, playful glare.

“Pfft, it just happened. Besides, you’ll be having a free drink anyway, don’t you think I don’t know you?” Jonghyun accused the other, knowing full well that Woohyun can’t resist the idea of free alcohol and ladies’ attention.

“You caught me there.” Woohyun smirked, patting Jonghyun’s back before climbing up to their small platform and walking over to his drum set.

“Suho-hyung will be a little late.” Seunghyun informed them about their band organist, pocketing his smartphone, “something about late-class discussion and such.”

“Pfft, that’s Suho for you. Always being the goody-good two shoes. I guess we’ll just have to wait.” Woohyun shrugged, twirling his drum stick with his fingers.

***

“—Give me just a little bit of hope, with a smile or a glance, give me one more chance~” Jonghyun’s hold on the microphone tightened, eyes glinting mischievously before winking at the group of girls cheering for them ever-since their session started, the party going on full-swing as the night goes deeper.

“Look at this guy,” Key muttered to himself as he eyed Jonghyun in the center of the room, his back against the wall while keeping himself away from students who already look queasy from the over-drinking of alcohol. He doesn’t want to become a good substitute for a toilet, thank you very much.

“He has the nerve to sprout things about liking me yet he flirts with those disgusting horde of female bimbos.” He whispered, looking for a certain redhead named Taemin amidst the sea of familiar and unfamiliar faces he’d encountered in the packed space, not noticing Jonghyun’s stare as he left the room.

He found Taemin stuffing his mouth with different kinds of food in the pool side, Minho sitting in front of his boyfriend with a punch juice in hand.

“Hyung!” Taemin exclaimed after spotting his closest friend, mouth still full with whatever he’s eating at the moment. Key grimaced, no matter how many times he chastise the younger about proper table manners, he’s still horrible with it.

“Can we go home now?” It’s been nearly four hours when they arrived, his wrist watch telling him it’s almost 20 minutes before midnight, which is their curfew. He vaguely remembers the words of Jinki along the lines of, “Please keep my younger brother’s ity intact. He should still be clean ‘till midnight. No frog residues, got it?”

Key shuddered at the thought of his baby doing those rated-R things. He’ll do his best to keep his baby pure until he’s 30, Key vowed to himself.

“So soon?” A voice behind him asks, Key facing an unconsciously pouting Jonghyun.

“Yes. We’ve been here for the past four hours and its boring watching half-crazed females fighting over which is more handsome in your band. I didn’t know their visions are that bad, honestly.” Key answered back, silently swallowing the saliva stuck on his throat when he saw Jonghyun wearing a white sleeveless top, his muscles being hugged by the tight fabric and if he drops his sight, he could make out the well-defined abs in the other’s—

“My eyes are up here, Kibum.” Jonghyun smirked.

Damn jerk.

Trying to tone down the redness enveloping his cheeks, he crossed his arms in his chest and walked towards Jonghyun, slowly, seductively…

“I’m sorry,” he whispered against Jonghyun’s ear, slowly backing Jonghyun towards the edge of the pool while one of his fingers is lightly grazing from Jonghyun’s chest down to the other’s abdominal muscles still covered by his top, “I’m just wondering what exercises you do since some singers don’t do sports.” His hot breath hitting Jonghyun’s ear, the hair of the other’s neck standing, an obvious impact of Key’s voice on his body.

Two can play this game, jerk.

“Wanna know and do it with me right here, right now?” Jonghyun’s voice quivered, biting his bottom lip when Key leaned away and smirked before pushing his face towards Jonghyun again, whispering. “Maybe some other time.”

The pounding of his own heartbeat rang loudly in his ears and before he could call out to Key who was already walking away, his foot slipped against the slippery floor before a loud splash was heard amidst the music of the still on-going party.

Key didn’t need to turn back to know who it was as Minho’s laughing voice was heard. “Oh God, Jonghyun!”

 

***

A week has passes since Jonghyun was drenched head to toe in his own backyard, a new school week rolling around with him adjusting to his classes for the next semester. Actually, the teachers are not so strict with their school requirements since the school foundation celebration will be next week, a week long event that will be co-celebrated with the school festival.

Jonghyun and his band will be performing at the exact Foundation Day, Thursday to be exact. That is why some students can be seen walking in and out of their buildings for the different events their major is going to make.

Jonghyun accidentally heard that the Arts department will be having a fashion and arts expo. Some students will hold their exhibits to showcase their art products while those studying fashion will be having a runway program for the benefit of some chosen charities, so with the fund-raising open-grounds concert next-week’s Thursday which Jonghyun and his band will took part too.

Hiding behind the wall, he slowly took a peek near Kibum’s lockers, watching the blond took the pearlescent blue paper. Biting his bottom lip as he saw Kibum reading the contents of the words or more like lyrics being written there which contains all his feelings for the blond. It’s his seventh letter for the blond, going as far as to insert it in their house’s mailbox last weekend. Yes, he did know where Kibum lives. It’s not stalking, it’s devotion.

I don’t want another pretty face

I don’t want just anyone to hold

I do

Please log in to read the full chapter