What's Your Emergency?

My JongKey Oneshots
Please log in to read the full chapter

This is set on an lgbt-au where gender roles are reversible and its okay to call your parents Mom/Dad regardless of what their gender is. 

What's Your Emergency?

written by: bluefloral

***

The Seoul Police Headquarter’s Communication Division was abuzz with its personnel entertaining different emergency calls ranging from high-tempered elder citizens complaining about noisy neighborhood kids to random strangers asking the nearest route to Starbucks.

“Sir! You’ve come.” The Division Head exclaimed, expecting the arrival of their young Chief of Police to be later than usual since he had a meeting from the city and military officials.

“Yes, well the oldies have a session that was re-scheduled and so was our meeting.” Kim Jonghyun says to his Communication Division Head, Lee Jinki, and shrugged. “And drop the sir, Jinki. Seriously, you’re also making me feel old.”

Jonghyun internally laughed at his childhood friend’s flabbergasted face, the other discreetly kicking his shin.

“Yah! What’s that about?”

“You know you can’t just call them oldies, you punk! Think about what will happen when your father heard you saying that.”

“Well…” Jonghyun shrugged, leaving it uncommented. It’s his father’s fault anyway. He got all this punky attitude from the general himself.

 “Your father was looking for you, too.” Jonghyun changed the subject, remembering the mayor talking about him earlier about Jinki’s whereabout and not calling home too often.

“You know how hectic work here is,” Jinki answered instead, gesturing to the buzzing voices of every cubicle monitoring all the emergencies in Seoul.

“That’s what I told him,” Jonghyun says, telling Jinki’s father to call 911 himself and tell them that his son was missing, to which the older man playfully kicking his . At least, they were inside his uncle’s office when it happened.

They were walking around every cubicle, doing their daily monitoring at the newly hired workers. They’ve stopped by at a new call receiver who just started his work this week.

Chanyeol immediately straightened his back when he noticed his superiors’ presence, automatically making the call received on loudspeaker since it’s the standard during monitoring.

“911 emergencies.” He answers the call.

“Yeah, I need some help please.” A little voice on the other line says.

“What’s the matter buddy?” Chanyeol starts to type on his keyboard in order to note the details of the conversation.

“With my math.”

“With your mouth?” Chanyeol’s brow furrowed and Jonghyun taps him on the shoulder, mouthing he’ll take the call. Although reluctant, Chanyeol let go of his headphones and passed it to the chief himself.

“Umm, does Sir Kim do this often sir?” Chanyeol asks Jinki, taking the spot Jonghyun vacated. His head officer shook his head and whispered, “Nah, he’s just a er for kids.”

“No, with my math. I have to do it. Will you help me?” The little voice says again.

“Sure. Where do you live?”

“No, help me with my math.”

“Okay buddy, I know. Where do you live though?” Jonghyun says, reclining on his seat. Jinki rolled his eyes. He can’t really understand why Jonghyun is still single when he cherishes kids too much. Some would think the other is already married but he’s as lone as the planet’s moon.

“No. I want you to talk to me on the phone.”

“No, I can’t do that. I can send someone else to help you.”

“Okay.”

“What kind of math do you need help with?”

“I have takeaways.”

“Oh, you have to do the takeaways?” Jonghyun feigns shock, Jinki tapping Chanyeol to come with him and grab some coffee for their boss.

“Uh-huh.”

“Okay, tell me what the math is.” Jonghyun softly asks.

“Okay, um 21 take away 9 is what?”

“Oh. You tell me how much you think it is?”

“I don’t know, 1?” The child’s voice was clearly confused with this whole math thing.

“No, buddy.” Jonghyun softly chuckles on the phone. “How old are you?”

“I’m only four.”

“Four?”

“Yeah.”

“Whoah, the answer is 12 buddy. What’s another problem, that one was tough.” He conceded to the little one.

“Um thank you.. oh, here’s one! 8 take away 8.”

“8 take away 8. And how much do you think it is?” Jonghyun asks again, unconsciously smiling.

“8.” He tried not to laugh at the little boy’s answer.

“Minnie, what do you think you’re doing?” Jonghyun heard a soft yet stern voice was heard over the phone.

“Momma, the policeman is helping me with my math.” The little boy’s voice was excited, Jonghyun trying to keep his laughter at bay.

“What did I tell you about going on the phone?” The voice was heard louder this time as if the person was already beside the little one.

‘Oops, it’s the mother.’ Jonghyun thought.

“You said if I need help to call somebody.” ‘Minnie’ says to his ‘Momma’, though Jonghyun can make out that the older voice on the other side is a male.

“I didn’t mean the police honey.”

There was an abrupt silence before a soft, apologetic voice came from the other line. “I’m sorry, officer. This is his guardian. That was really embarrassing. We’re so sorry for the inconvenience.”

Jonghyun’s smile froze and his heart started to beat faster. The other has a really great speaking voice! It sounds familiar too. He furrowed his

Please log in to read the full chapter