Chapter four : School

Across the bridge

Jaebeom and Jiwon started to spend time together with Haven’s family and friends, they learned a lot through all the years. After middle school they had to leave, to go to highschool in a bigger city. By fear they would be found weird, their uncle put them in differents schools, in differents boarding schools...

Jiwon found himself alone for the first time in years. Alone in the middle of humans. While his powers were still growing.

 

"Haven ?"

"Yes ?"

"How are you ?"

 

She never answered this questions, she had her own demons to fight, she was in an other city, far from him, and if in middle school they were always together, like nothing could do them appart, now, they were like the moon and the sun. She always picked up the phone, but she wouldn’t say anything, like he was annoying her, like he was a part of her life she wanted to forget. Even if his love for her had grown through the year, stronger, harder, and more painful, his heart was broken when one day she didn’t picked up, someone else did.

It was over. The love he had for her didn’t matter, she never loved him.

 

"Hey Bobby ?"

 

Jiwon stoped staring at the wall and looked around him, he knew the girl was calling him. Everyone called him Bobby, he didn’t really understand why because it wasn’t his name, maybe because of that cheerleader girl, when the teacher asked his name in class, he was still in his brother’s head, too far from reality to answer a simple question. Just like his uncle had predicted would happen if they weren’t appart, they were becoming one same mind in middle school.

So that day, the first day of class, the girl said.

 

"Let’s just call him Bobby."

 

Since that day, even the teacher called him that, even if he wasn’t in his brother’s head anymore, and his brother couldn’t access his head either. Not a lot of people knew his actual name. It didn’t matter.

 

"yes ? He said, what do you want ?"

"Still in your thoughts hum ?"

"I asked : what do you want ?"

 

He voice was harder than he wanted, it was the beginning of winter. Winter of their senior year, everything was going so fast, he hadn’t even realized he was in highschool that it was almost over.

 

"I was just... she bite her lips like she always did when she was nervous, wondering what you were up to."

"Right now."

"I kind of wonder all the time because you barely speak to anyone. But yes, right now."

"Nothing, I was going to study."

 

She sighed, she was annoyed ? Really ? Why ?

 

"You always study, try to enjoy your teenage years Bobby ! They won’t last for ever."

"I don’t care."

"Well, I care, as the class representant I have to make sure everyone is happy, and I can see you’re not happy."

"How could you know that ?"

"Well, first, you never smile."

"Smiling isn’t an indication of happinness, you smile all the time does it mean you’re always happy ? Are you even human to do that ? Didn’t your break up with Taemin shaked you ? Just a little ? I mean look at yourself, all shinning, willing to make everyone as annoyingly happy as you, you should think about why Taemin left you, maybe because he was sick of watching your so called happinness all the damn time."

 

For a second he saw her eyes going wet and he realized what he had done, again, he had let his emotions control him, his anger, his rage that his brother wouldn’t talk to him, that he had to stay, once again, at school for the holidays... But she didn’t get angry , she didn’t yelled, she didn’t tried to hurt him back like most teenagers would have done.

 

"Well... If you need anything you just tell me ok ? She said, I will tell the student’s councel."

"Wait... Hyewon.... Wait..."

 

But she didn’t stoped, maybe afterall, she couldn’t always smile.

At some levels, he hated himself for being like this, he didn’t had a lot of friends aside of Hanbin who was the most patient person in the world with him, if everyone thought Jiwon was weird and maybe lunatic, everyone thought Hanbin was completely insane to be friends with him, yet Hanbin had a full trust in Jiwon. He knew his real name but still called him Bobby saying it was "very cool".

 

Hyewon was the one that had named Bobby, she had changed a lot during highschool, like most teenagers do. Going from active cheerleader that would only go for older guys from college and do anything to be popular, she suddenly changed one day, to study better, she became a tutor for the youngest of the school, made herself elected class representant. Maybe she had changed too much for some, her long time on and off boyfriend suddenly broke up with her a few months ago, no one knew what were his reasons. But Hyewon’s popularity went down after that, not because she wasn’t as caring as before, or as nice as before, but because she wouldn’t show her pain, she wouldn’t show to all the hungry for emotions teenagers what they wanted from her. They wanted her to be in pain, to scream, to be angry, to be a teenager.

Hyewon was one of the tallest girl at the beggining of highschool, but after almost three years, most of the girl grow up too, and she ended being just normal. To Jiwon who’s love for Haven had always made him blind to beauty, she was average. But after three years in her class, he could say a lot about her, her hair were light brown, her eyes were brownish and green in the sun, like an olive. Her waist was thin, her smile was bright, she wasn’t the most outstanding beauty, not like Haven who would capture anyone’s attention.

 

"Hey Bobby, I saw you upset our president again, Hanbin said approaching."

"What ?"

"I just saw Hyewon leaving. She was almost running away from you. Try to be nice to her. You know she isn’t a bad person."

"How can you know that ?"

"I observe people. I see how they behave."

"How can you know she doesn’t fake being a nice girl ? What if she is a monster that.. I don’t know, break kitten’s legs ?"

"Because I know her since childhood ok, if she had broke my kitty’s legs I would know. She loves cats. And animals. Of any kind for what I know."

"Well, maybe she is too perfect. It’s suspicious, Jiwon said with a laugh."

"She is far from perfect you know it, don’t mock her, I really think she had a hard time. But..."

"But ?"

 

Hanbin had a mysterious smile, but you know what never changed about her ?

 

"No. I don’t care."

"Well I’m going to tell you, this girl, once people called her a in her back, than an angel, and now she is said to be a robot, but I know for sure she always liked you. Her way of looking at you.... I’m jealous."

"What ?"

"She likes you. I am telling you, this girl... She likes you."

"So ?"

"So what ? I don’t care, I have a girlfriend remember ?"

"Yes, Mr and Miss Popularity, Jiwon laughed, where is she by the way ?"

"Packing, she is going home for the holidays..."

"Will you be fine ?"

"Well yes because in two days I will join her so .. You will be alone here. Please be nice to the poor souls that stay here."

"I’m always nice."

"Sure. And apologize."

"To who ?"

"God ? Who do you think you idiot ! How did you made it to senior year with such a small brain ?"

 

Jiwon sighed, he had spend three years trying to be normal, to be human, his years in middle school had trained him to behave like a human, but even if now he was able to control his strenght, his emotions, he still wasn’t behaving like his friend. He wasn’t like that.