Chapter two : The other side of the village

Across the bridge

Haven and him became friends from that day, he would always search for her, and she didn’t mind, she was the same age as him, but she was going to the other school where her mother was also a teacher. So everytime after school he would run to the bridge and wait for her nearby. Together they would play to all sorts of games, and soon, other childrens wanted to play with them, from both schools. But Jiwon only wanted to play with Haven.

She invited him often to her home, but he couldn’t go, he couldn’t put an other step on the bridge. He just couldn’t.

It was her birthday, everyone was going. And Jiwon was standing on the other side of the bridge. Even Taejun, the mean tall boy was going. Jiwon waited for an hour, no one saw him, he put a foot on the bridge, and an other, struggling with the memories, what happened ? He put a step forward, and every new step led him threw his memory.

How happy they were, all together, singing in the car, his mother’s voice, but then on the bridge they saw something. Someone. He could see it again, in front of him, the thing that was standing on the bridge that day was here again as he was trying to cross the bridge. It looked like a child, it had a dress with stripes on it, but it face was white as the snow, it didn’t had eyes, nor did it had nose or lips. It was just a white face with no human or animals attributes. It was on the bridge that day ! His mom didn’t fell asleep while driving, she didn’t hit an animal, she hit that thing ! Or... No. He made an other step, towards his memory, the thing didn’t moove but they could feel it, his dad took off his seat belt, he did something, said something... "protect the kids", his mother she turned towards them, she looked in their eyes and she screamed something... What did she said ? Jiwon, the little Jiwon couldn’t hear it, but he remembered what was happening to the car, it hit something so hard both his parents couldn’t help it and... His mom’s head hit the wheel. His father... He was thrown out of the car and... The thing, the white pale thing mooved, touched his father’s shoulder. Then he fell of the bridge in the cold water. Jaebeom and him both hit the seats in front of them.

Jaebeom screamed, he was looking at their mom not the thing... Wasn’t she dead ? The police said she hit the wheel so hard she died at once... But she was whispering something. The car moved again, that’s when his head hit the window and broke it. His mother was still whispering when he closed his eyes, he thought he was dead.

The vision of his memories disappeared, Jiwon had crossed the bridge, he was sweating and crying, and deep down inside of him, something was trying to get out. A scream.

Before he was able to unleash this desire something pushed him in the water, something much stronger than him or any other children, he couldn’t see what it was. But the thing was keeping him under the water despite all his efforts to get out, he couldn’t see clearly threw the water. He was starting to lack oxygen, his arms were loosing their strenght... But the force suddenly stoped and someone dragged him out of the water. The person that was helping him shaked him until he opened his eyes and caugh, water came out of his mouth.

 

"Are you ok ?! Hey !"

"Who... Who are you... What.. ha...."

"Don’t loose conscious ! Stay awake ! Listen to my voice."

 

The person made him stand up.

 

"My name is Seunghyun. Hey, boy listen to me don’t fall asleep !"

"What... What was... this ?"

 

He didn’t heard the answer, he fell asleep, his last memory as he fell down was to notice how dark the sky was, even if when he had started to cross the bridge, the sky was blue.

He woke up inside a house he didn’t knew, someone was with him. It was her. Haven.

 

"Hi Jiwon..."

"Haven ?"

"Mom he is awake !"

 

The english teacher appeared through the door and smiled.

 

"Hello Jiwon, I called you uncle and told him you were staying with us tonight."

"What.. ?"

"You were very brave to cross the bridge on your own."

"I crossed... ?"

"Yes, and you were attacked."

 

The manly voice was coming from the other side of the room, Jiwon looked there, it was the man that saved his life earlier.

 

"By what ?"

"A very bad thing. A spirit."

"A spirit can’t attack anyone, the english teacher said with anger, unless he posses the body of a living or dead person."

"What... ?"

 

Jiwon was lost, a spirit ? His uncle said these things were just in our imagination.

 

"They’re real, Haven said like she had red his mind, they exist, all of the creatures we think don’t."

"But..."

"No one knows about them, unless you are one of them, the english teacher said, and they usually don’t bother humans, but this spirit was after you."

"It wasn’t very strong, Seunghyun said, but definitely strong enough to kill you. Why would it go after you ? What are you ?!"

"What ? I am nothing... I...I don’t understand... Haven who is he ?"

"He is our friend, Haven smiled, he is a nice person I promise."

"You’re not like me, Seunghyun said, I know that, but you are definitely something, otherwise why would someone send a spirit after you ?"

"Maybe it was an accident, it happens, said Haven’s mom."

"You didn’t saw that spirit, full of anger, it couldn’t have just come here and attack him just like that, I felt his presence a few days ago, but I thought he just vanished, like they usually do after a while, but it possesed a dead body and attacked him on the bridge. It wasn’t a mistake, it was planned. I am sure of it."

"In that case, Jiwon, you are very lucky Seunghyun find you. The english teacher shivered, is it gone ?"

"Yes, it was too weak to keep on living. It attacked him because it knew he wasn’t strong enough to defend himself. And he had used half of it’s energy to possess the body so..."

 

Jiwon didn’t understand a thing. A spirit ? Attacked him ? But he was in the car and... His eyes opened wide and all adults stoped talking.

 

"What is it ?"

"I remember the accident."