Chapter three : Family above all

Across the bridge

"What accident ? Seunghyun asked."

"His family was killed in a car accident."

"It wasn’t an accident, Jiwon said with tears in his eyes, it was like today ! On a bridge, nothing was there and suddenly the car hit something ! On the bridge, someone was standing ! A girl !! But she had no face."

"No face you say ? And what happened ?"

 

Jiwon said the whole story, he had to, he was to frighten to forget it again.

Jiwon spend the night at Haven’s home, and the next night he spend with Seunghyun, after that day, he spend more and more time on the other side of the bridge, someone would always wait for him there, Haven, her mom, Seunghyun, or new people he slowly learned to know.

He realized no one on his side of the village was humans, they were all mythical creatures that had gathered to survive. Even Haven wasn’t human, but she wouldn’t tell him what she was. He didn’t knew what he was either, they were testing him, to see if they could find out. But nothing was working.

 

"Someone probably made you forget who you are, and made you power fell asleep, someone close to you. Maybe your uncle ?"

"I don’t know, Jiwon bite his lips, it could have been anyone from my family, I saw a lot of them for the ceremony when my parents died."

"During the accident you said you mother wasn’t dead, Haven’s mom said, it could have been her."

 

Seunghyun sighed, it was useless, they had spent three months trying to find out what he was or wasn’t, but he only looked like an unlucky human. He didn’t told it to Jiwon, he knew he would realize it himself, for now, they were helping him to live with his memories, at least his brother didn’t had to endure that. Seunghyun shivered, his brother... If they were the same blood his brother was like him...

Seunghyun knew Jaebeom was practicing soccer with the other kids, he went there and watched Jaebeom all day, followed him. Nothing happened, until Jaebeom suddenly stopped like he had heard something, he turned to the sky, the moon more exactly. And for a second his eyes shined in the dark, like an electric blue light, that disappeared in a second.

Seunghyun hadn’t his answers, but he was sure it wasn’t natural, something in Jaebeom was supernatural, and maybe he too didn’t knew about it.

After that day Seunghyun decided to go on a trip to find the brother’s family, to one from their mother’s side.

It took him two years before he found any trace of their existence, he had to go through witches.

Jiwon’s aunt was alive, she was a women of success, bag designer, very hard to approach, but she was also member of a kind Seunghyun thought had disappeared during the war.

Jiwon was eleven when he met his aunt. One day, one year after Seunghyun tried to reach out to her without success, she appeared at Jaebeom and Jiwon’s uncle door.

 

"Hello, she said, my name is Naeun. I’m Nayoung’s sister."

 

Their uncle tried to close the door but she hold it with her foot and got inside.

 

"Please, let me in."

"I don’t want too, you will hurt them ! Nayoung warned us against her family !"

"You need to let me in. Jaebeom is thirteen and Jiwon is eleven ! Don’t you think after all this time the spell on them got old ?!"

 

Their uncle let her in and called them, but they were both already here and their aunt smiled, for a moment, their uncle felt like they were already talking, without him being invited to join. She looked specifically at Jaebeom.

Jaebeom was older than Jiwon yet he had more trouble remembering what happened years ago to his parents, he did it one night during a dream, after that, his powers kept coming a going to their own will, he thought he was going crazy, he heard voices in his head, he could see things he didn’t understand, and more importantly, he could always, always know what Jiwon was doing, what he was saying, with who he was... Not a single day passed without him knowing everything about his brother without having to ask.

 

"My name is Naeun, his aunt said again, yours are Jaebeom and Jiwon right ? Name chosen by my sister, I know it."

"How did you find us ? What do you want ?"

"I want to help. My sister drove away from our family, it’s alright, because she already knew how to control her powers, but you two are young... Too young. You can’t learn alone. She smiled at Jiwon, I know your friends tried to help you, but they don’t even know what you are. Jaebeom, she said, you can get inside his head can’t you ?"

"yes.."

"You can also get inside mine, and every other person that is like us. But only if they allow it, Jiwon is allowing you to get inside his head because he doesn’t know how to get you out of there."

"What... Jaebeom, Jiwon shivered, what is she saying ? You... You know that..."

"That we are not humans. Yes I... I learned it with you. At first I thought I was crazy but now I’m just used to have your voice in my head and..."

"Other voices right ? His aunt smiled, you two boys are very special. Not only are you like me, able to communicate with our group, to see with our eyes and hear with our ears, you can also travel in human’s dreams and nightmares, your spirits are that powerful that you can even change their dreams, communicate with them, you can travel the earth with your thoughts."

"Mom... She was like us ?"

"Yes, but she cut herself from the others, she was alone, that’s why she died, she wouldn’t let us help. Her mind was powerful enough to erase your memories from your powers, to cut you your access to it. I am here to set you free."

"Wait, their uncle said."

 

He hadn’t heard anything of their conversation, because it was all happening inside their aunt’s head, she had invited them in and trapped them inside to talk privately with them. But the words of their uncle were strong enough to let their spirit go back to their bodies.

 

"What ? She said with a little anger, what is more important than their mother’s memory ?!"

"Their father’s. You aren’t only your mother’s sons, but you are also my brother’s son. You are half and half."

"They didn’t inherit their father’s abilities, their aunt shouted, it’s impossible !"

"They did. I’m telling you because I know you want to protect them, or at least their powers. Which means you won’t betray them."

 

They all sat down to talk in the living room.

 

"Your father’s strenght lives in your blood, their uncle sighed, he was a very strong person."

"He was half demon, their aunt yelled, he was a monster and he took away my sister ! She was good !"

"He was good too ! Not all of us are bad !"

"You are!You are monsters ! All of your family is cursed ! Because of you my sister died !"

 

The room went cold and both uncle and aunt got on their feets, their eyes not quiting each other’s sight. The hate between these two was so strong it was painful for the brothers.

 

"STOP ! Jaebeom said, don’t fight !"

 

They stoped but the pain of their hate was still there.

 

"Kids... It’s ok we will explain everything to you."

"A long time ago, gods, angels, demons, humans, spirits, everyone lived together, and humans were the weakest, sometimes, they tried to outsmart the gods, which wasn’t aloud, so gods would get vengefull, that’s how warewolves were created, it started with a family, that betrayed the gods. Some humans favoured some gods other the others, so to show their happinness the gods would thank them with gifts, like the gift of seeing future, of magic, Lucifer wasn’t exactly a god, but he was able to rise like them, he gave witches their powers, and every creature that exist now was created then. We, our family, descend from spirits and angels, spirits of trees gave us the possibily to communicate with each others all the time, because the first of us loved each others so much and cherish their families more than any other humans. The angels were touched of how we used our powers after that, and blessed us with a greater mind, making us capable of traveling in dreams and thought, making even some of us able to control the mind. We were good and pure then, now, things have changed..."

"Because we are nor angels nor spirits nor demons, we are also humans, the uncle said,if for her kind it’s a bad thing, for us, it’s a good thing. Because my family, your father’s family comes from demons and humans, demons used to take advantage of humans, and a lot of children were born from these... abuse... Our story isn’t peaceful or beautiful, it’s sad, made out of blood, but it makes us strong. Boys, your mother, she probably didn’t wanted you to have your powers, that’s why she hide your powers, but you will soon discover that you are stronger than humans, faster, and that your emotions are also stronger. You will feel happinness and pain ten times stronger than the others..."

"You will also feel anger stronger, their aunt said with a grinch, I can help you erase that part of you and..."

"You will not do anything of that sort ! They can control it like I do ! Like their father did ! It is not a curse if we can control it!It’s a strenght !"

 

That day their uncle and aunt get into a lot of small fight, without being able to fully explain why their parents had died murdered by an evil spirt, nor why their aunt wait that much time before entering their lives. She left after that day but would come back every year to see how their powers evolved.