Twenty-one

Cold Hands, Warm Heart
Please log in to read the full chapter

The moment Seungwan heard the knocking on her door, she knew. She knew who it would be and the reason. She knew it would not be the result of anything good. Something within her, call it intuition, had whispered it to her.

That’s why she had made sure to tell Joohyun earlier that day that her door would always be open for her.

 

The blonde immediately sprinted towards the door, concern growing. She opened it, revealing a crying Joohyun behind it with bags in her hands filled with her personal belongings.

The older girl sniffed as tears continued to stream down her cheeks.

 

“I found out...”, she whispered, and that was all the information Seungwan needed to confirm her suspicions. Joohyun looked down at her own feet, clearly reluctant to say something.

But then she blurted it out.

 

“Is it okay if I stay with you? I promise I’ll try to find another place quickly, I jus-”

 

Seungwan interrupted her as she pulled the older girl towards herself, wrapping her in a tight hug.

“I told you my door would always be open for you...”, she said softly, caressing Joohyun’s back as the latter continued to sob. “You can stay for as long as you want, okay?”

 

Joohyun sniffed again and was quick to offer a word of disagreement. “But..”

 

“Nope!”, Seungwan cut her off before she could argue back, and took a step back, her hands resting on the raven’s shoulders. “None of that. I meant what I said.”

 

Joohyun frowned, her big teary eyes looking at the younger girl as she remained silent. Seungwan couldn’t help but notice how beautiful the girl in front of her looked despite of the emotional mess she was in.

She quickly shook those thoughts off. Now was no time to think about things like that.

The blonde took a step back leaving space for Joohyun to enter.

 

“Come in”, she smiled. Joohyun bit her lip and then carefully stepped into the apartment, clearly still unsure of the appropriateness of this all. This made Seungwan even more determined to reassure the older girl that she could feel comfortable around her.

 

“Here, follow me”, the blonde softly grabbed the edge of Joohyun’s sleeve and gently tugged it. The raven silently did as told. All gears in Seungwan’s brain worked diligently as she thought of more ways to comfort her. Maybe offer some hot tea? Blankets? Maybe watch some movies to distract her?

 

She opened the door to the bedroom, revealing two separate beds in it.

“You can take that one over there”, Seungwan pointed to an empty bed. “I always have had one extra in case that Yerim wanted to move in. Then, I just used it for visitors… and by that I mean Sooyoung or Yerim”, she chuckled.

 

She walked towards the closet where she had put the blankets and pillows belonging to this bed, and took them out. Seungwan then put them down on the bed. Her gaze landed on a still hesitant Joohyun who seemed to be contemplating the existence of life itself.

 

Seungwan decided to crack a joke to break the heavy atmosphere.

 

“Now we don’t have to have that awkward and cliché argument about who takes the bed and who takes the couch, and wake up in the morning in the same bed where one of us falls on the floor out of shock. ”

 

Joohyun’s eyes widened and met the blonde’s. A few seconds of silence passed by, which was then broken by the sound of the raven’s loud laughter.

 

“Oh god, please no. I’ve seen too many movies where that happens.”

 

“You’ve got to admit that those are funny though and unfortunately addictive”, Seungwan now laughed as well.

 

“Yeah, true... Oh my god, now I have that image stuck in my head, thank you very much”, Joohyun playfully hit the younger girl in the arm with her bag.

 

“Ouch! So aggressive”, the blonde dramatically grabbed her arm pretending it was about to fall off. Joohyun rolled her eyes at that.

 

“Anyways, you can put your clothes here”, Seungwan opened another closet. It was half-empty with enough space for more. “Only if you dare to share though.”

 

The raven scoffed at the blonde’s playful grin, making the blonde chuckle in turn.

 

“Anyways, make yourself at home. Change into something something comfortable and I’ll be on the other side”, she nodded towards the bedroom’s door. “If you want, we can watch a movie or something. You decide.”

 

“Thank you, Wan...”, Joohyun softly said. Seungwan waved it off.

 

“No need for that”, she smiled. Just as she was about to step out, however, a hand pulled her back by her arm. With widened eyes, Seungwan met Joohyun’s, the latter now dangerously close.

 

The blonde suddenly felt her blood pressure skyrocket, her heart threatening to burst through her chest.

 

“I mean it… thank you so much. You’re a wonderful person, did you know that?”, Joohyun expressed her gratitude with more determination in her voice. Seungwan gulped.

 

“Uhm… I...”, she tried to collect her thoughts, which was to proved to be a lot harder with the almost non-existent space between them. Joohyun, however, seemed oblivious to what she was doing and what kind of effect she had.

 

“Anything for you”, Seungwan then blurted, putting her honest feelings on display. This time, Joohyun seemed to be the one caught off guard and now finally aware of the lack of distance. She then stepped back and started playing with the edges of her sleeves.

 

“Uh...”, Joohyun frowned as looked at the floor, clearly trying to figure out what to say. Seungwan cleared and smiled.

 

“See you in a bit”.

 

She stepped out of the room and closed the door. Her brain then started to process everything that had happened that day. From the confessing, to the knocking and now this.

 

Seungwan let out a breath she didn’t know she had been holding this, during this whole time. These had been some eventful hours, and it hadn’t even been 24 hours yet.

 

She was sure that this day was far from being over.

 

***

They had settled on watching To All the Boys I’ve Loved B

Please log in to read the full chapter