One

Cold Hands, Warm Heart
Please log in to read the full chapter

Joohyun observed her exhaled breath condensing and forming a small cloud due to the freezing weather that had established itself in the country for nearly three weeks. She shoved her hands in the pockets of her grey cable knit sweater as she hunched over, her shoulders up to her ears. Even though the cold was unstoppable, and she felt every part of her being transformed into ice, Joohyun could not help but admiring the sight on the balcony of her new apartment. The city looked astonishing under the thick layer of snow, a painting created by nature in order to bring peace to a place which was customarily dominated by heavy traffic. The sound of the playful wind and the lack of honking cars was a melody to her ears and for the first time in her life it was as if she felt something close to inner peace despite its superficiality. This melody however was altered by an unknown sound, an unfamiliar voice. The voice did not disturb her, rather it was like a note that completed the music, the missing piece which made this inner tranquillity feel a bit more realistic, within her grasp.

Joohyun moved her head to the right, locking her eyes with the source of voice that had awakened the calm she had been seeking for. A girl, slightly shorter, was standing on a balcony next to Joohyun’s, a cup between her hands which were mostly covered with the sleeves of her black hoodie. The vapor coming out of the red cup indicated that she was taking in a hot drink to keep herself warm. The wind whispered through her dark blonde, wavy hair, that found its end just underneath her chest. Her dark brown eyebrows and the roots on her head, which were as dark as her eyes, gave away the fact that dark blonde was not her actual hair colour. The cold weather had painted her cheeks in a light red, matching the cup.

‘’Aren’t you dressed too lightly for this kind of weather?’’, the girl chuckled.

It took Joohyun a few seconds to register what was happening, only to find herself staring at the girl who was smiling gently at her, as she waited for her to speak.

‘’Oh, yea...’’, Joohyun replied a bit uncertain while she took a quick glance at her clothes.

The dark blonde tilted her head slightly to the side, her eyes remaining on Joohyun as curves of went somewhat upwards, forming a light smirk. Joohyun felt her heart skip a little beat at that sight.

‘’I don’t think I have ever seen you before. Are you the new owner of the apartment?’’, she asked, her voice filled with curiosity. Joohyun shook her head slowly, trying to let the current situation sink in, since she was still feeling absentminded.

‘’I am sharing it. With a friend.’’ The eyes of the girl widened, and formed an ‘O’, as if Joohyun’s reply had answered all of the biggest mysteries in the world. Joohyun was amused at how expressive the girl was, a quality she wished that she possessed again.

‘’Oh! With Seulgi right?’’ Her enthusiasm was evident. Joohyun blinked a few times as she pondered about the possibility of this girl knowing her one closest friend, the only person who she had ever dared to trust almost entirely.

‘‘How did you kn-’’

‘‘Joohyun! At least please close the door if you want to go on the balcony with this killer weather going on. I don’t want to freeze to death, thank you very much!’, Seulgi complained as she stuck her head through the opening of the door, shielding the rest of her body from the cold.

Please log in to read the full chapter