Secret Haven

Shared Feelings

“Nancy...” Yeonwoo manages to say. She’s been chanting Nancy’s name to comfort herself. To give herself any kind of warmth in this cold and messy place.

 

People didn’t care if they hit her. People didn’t even stop to notice that a teenage girl was sitting on the floor, shaking and terrified.

So...breakable.

 

“Nancy.” Yeonwoo mutters louder. As if her name would change and remove all the anxiety she was having. 

 

She tried to steady her breath and to stand up. She tried calling Nancy’s phone but the girl won’t answer. 

 

“Please....help.” She cries.

 

She feels herself slipping away from consciousness, her control on her actions lessening. Her thoughts get cloudy. She’s overwhelmed by fear and anxiousness that she can’t take it. 

 

To add to this, hundreds of people were walking past her, cursing and hitting her. 

 

“Nancy....” she cries.

 

Everything was hazy. Everything was black. Yeonwoo was about to lose consciousness when she felt a hand grab her arm. 

 

“Alright. Up up.” 

 

She looked up and all she saw was a boy around her age who carried her out of the crowd. 

 

And everything was black after that.

 

—-

 

Yeonwoo wakes up soon after. She looks at the surrounding in confusion. 

 

The bed...didn’t seem familiar. 

 

The table infront of her didn’t seem familiar.

 

Heck the room didn’t seem familiar one bit.

 

Yeonwoo’s eyes widened. She immediately checked herself if she was still in one piece. 

 

The girl let out a sigh of relief when she saw that her clothes were the same from earlier, although a bit dirty.

 

She stands up  but when she did, the door opened. 

 

There stood a guy, who looked around the same age as her. He smiled and set down the food on the table. 

 

“You’re awake.” He smiled. 

 

Yeonwoo just nodded as she didn’t know how to process anything. She looked at the guy in confusion. She tried to remember him, to think if he was an old friend or something. 

 

But his face looked so new to her. He was a stranger. 

 

And what the heck was she doing with a stranger. 

 

The guy seemed to notice Yeonwoo’s stare so he smiled very gently and introduced himself, “My name is Ong Seongwoo. Don’t worry I didn’t do anything you wouldn’t like. I brought you here since you passed out earlier.”

 

Yeonwoo’s eyebrows scrunched as she tried to remember what happened earlier.

 

Earlier earlier. 

 

Then it clicks. Her eyes widened and only one thing came to her mind. Rather, one person.

 

“Nancy...” 

 

“Sorry?” The guy moves closer because he didn’t hear.

 

“Nothing!.” Yeonwoo smiles at him. “Thank you for saving me. I looked pretty pitiful earlier.” 

 

“It’s no big deal. Here, I brought food.” He smiles and brings the tray closer but still not close enough to disrespect her personal space.

 

“I appreciate it but I really need to get going.” She says as she notices the amount of calls and texts on her phone.

 

“Oh. Okay.” Seongwoo smiled again, “Do you want me to drop you off? We study in the same school.” 

 

“How do you know where I study?”

 

“You’re wearing your uniform.” 

 

Yeonwoo just nods and awkwardly laughs. She then carefully stands up then bows at Seongwoo, “I’m very grateful to you and what you did. You don’t need to drop me off though, I don’t want to bother you anymore than I already did.” 

 

“Hey no need to be so formal.” Seongwoo laughs, “But I can drop you off, since I’m going back to school anyway.” 

 

“But I don’t want to bo-“

 

“It’s fine. I insist.” And he flashed his million dollar smile. 

 

Yeonwoo is growing accustomed to the smile, it feels so warm and welcome. 

 

“If you insist.” She shyly says. 

 

—-

 

“OH MY GOD!” 

 

Hyebin comes running when she sees Yeonwoo move out of the car. She hugs her tightly and inspects every part of her. 

 

She hurriedly scans her face, and when she got to the arms, she saw some bruises there. 

 

“I’m so sorry.” She says and Yeonwoo sees the sincerity as the older girl almost looks like she’s gonna cry. “I forgot about that alleyway full of people. I’m so stupid. Please forgive me.” 

 

Yeonwoo laughs and holds Hyebin by the shoulder, “I’m fine.” 

 

Seongwoo then moves out of the car and walks to the two girls, “Yeonwoo, I’m going to get going. See you when I see you.” He smiles. 

 

Yeonwoo smiles at him as well and bows, “I’m very thankful for your help. Maybe I can make it up to you?” 

 

“Your number would be great.” He grins. 

 

“She’s off limits.” Hyebin moves infront of Yeonwoo and slightly glares at Seongwoo.

 

“I didn’t mean it that way.” He waved his hand, “I just wanted to keep in contact as...you know, friends. You seemed like an interesting person.” 

 

Yeonwoo looks at him for a while. He didn’t look harmful, he was the opposite actually. He was radiating warmth and enthusiasm and Yeonwoo couldn’t think bad about his actions. Not to mention, he literally saved her earlier. 

 

“Here.” She showed Seongwoo his phone with her number on it. The guy smiles back at her and saves it to his phone. He soon left after that, saying he was late for his class. 

 

“Who the hell was that?!” Hyebin whispers and screams at the same time.

 

“He’s Seongwoo. He saved me when I got lost earlier and even took care of me and brought me to his house.”

 

“He brought you to his house?!” 

 

“Nothing happened!” Yeonwoo glares at her. She started walking towards their dormitory as she needed to change clothes. 

 

“You didn’t reply to my texts!” Hyebin pouts. 

 

“I was asleep.” 

 

“You slept on his bed?!”

 

“Hyebin! I swear nothi-“

 

“Who slept on whose bed?”

 

They heard a voice from behind. Yeonwoo quickly recognized that voice. 

 

It was the voice she was looking for earlier. The voice she needed so much but it never came.

 

Hyebin and Yeonwoo looked back to see Nancy looking at them with a confused look.

 

“Nancy...”

 

Hyebin looks at Yeonwoo worriedly and pats her shoulder, “I’m going ahead. Are you going to be okay?”

 

“Yeah.” She whispered. 

 

It was okay. It’s nothing. It’s just Nancy. 

 

Just Nancy.

 

Nancy looked at Yeonwoo for a while before her eyes went wide and gaped. She stood still for a moment and soon looked worriedly at her. 

 

“I’m so sorry.” Guilt was present in her face. She walked closer and held Yeonwoo’s hand in hers. 

 

“It’s fine.” 

 

It isn’t.

 

“I-I can’t believe I forgot! I can’t believe I left you there!” Nancy looks at Yeonwoo. “I’m so sorry. I’m an idiot. Please forgive me. I as a friend.” 

 

You forgot? How the heck did you forget about someone who you promised to take care of earlier? Are you an idiot?

 

“It’s okay.”

 

Because even though Yeonwoo is angry and fuming, she’s still madly smitten and inlove with Nancy. Nancy could literally blow the whole world up and Yeonwoo would forgive her. She’s so madly inlove that it hurts her. 

 

It hurts that Nancy just...forgot. Forgot about her. She waited for her to come back but she was waiting for nothing. Nancy forgot? Just how unimportant is Yeonwoo to Nancy that the girl could just be forgotten.

 

Yeonwoo’s heart clenches as she thinks of those things. 

 

Guess I’m just nothing to her after all.

 

“I’m never going to leave you again I promise! I’ll take care of you for sure this time. I won’t let anything happen to you.”

 

“Sure.” She forced a smile.

 

It still hurts and the pain is slowly creeping more in her heart as she sees Nancy. She just wants to tell the girl her feelings and get this over with. So that she wouldn’t suppress all her feelings and bottle it up just to explode.

 

She wants to confess. 

 

She’s sad and angry and frustrated.  But even then, the feeling of wanting to tell Nancy her feelings is just overwhelming. 

 

And Nancy saying things like she’ll always be by her side to protect her isn’t helping in her agenda to keep quiet. 

 

“I’m really sorry unnie. I love you so much you know that?” 

 

“You do?”

 

“Of course I do.”

 

Yeonwoo smiles, although a bit forced. Because she knows that the love she gives Nancy is different from what she will ever receive.

 

“I’ll make it up to you.” She smiles and grabs Yeonwoo by the hand. 

 

“My clothes are dirty! And we have school!” 

 

“Never mind that.” She grins as she removes her varsity jacket and drapes it on Yeonwoo’s shoulder, “Use this to cover your uniform.” 

 

“I can’t just leave class. I need to maintain a record!” 

 

“You weren’t able to attend your last three classes anyway since, you know, because of what I did. But now you only have one left. Just take it easy for this day and go back to your stressful honor student life by tomorrow.” 

 

“Nancy!” Yeonwoo struggles to stop the over enthusiastic girl in her tracks.

 

“Your next teacher is my coach. I can ask him to pardon you.” Nancy grins as she keeps on walking. 

 

“But...”

 

Nancy presses a finger to her lips, “No buts. Come on.” 

 

They left the school campus and had been walking for almost an hour. Right now it was just a few trees and grass all around. The scenery was amazing, the air was refreshing, and Nancy looked so beautiful with this beautiful scenery as her background. 

 

Damn, Yeonwoo is smitten.. 

 

“Where are we going?”

 

“I’m going to make it up to you!” Nancy grins.

 

“But where?!” Yeonwoo huffs in exhaustion, “And I’m tired. How come you’re not tired?”

 

“Well aside from the fact that I’m an athlete, I come here often. It’s like...my favorite place on earth. My secret haven.” 

 

“And you’re bringing me there? Isn’t this important to you?”

 

Nancy looks back at her and strengthens her grip on her hand, “It is. That’s why you’re the first person I’ll ever bring here.” 

 

Yeonwoo’s swears her heart just did a somersault. Nancy really isn’t helping her suppress her feelings. 

 

A few minutes later, Nancy stops in her tracks and looks back at Yeonwoo, “Here we are.” 

 

She smiles as she moves away the giant leaf infront of them. 

 

And Yeonwoo literally forgot how to breath. This is the second time in her life that she’s seen something so beautiful. The first one was Nancy. 

 

But the place was so beautiful. They were on the beach, with sand as white as an angel’s wings, and the water was as clear as a diamond, shining and reflecting the sunset infront of them. The wind blew a refreshing air, and the sea breeze was amazing. 

 

“I used to play here a lot when I was a kid.” Nancy says as she starts walking hand in hand with Yeonwoo, “I found it on one of the days I was throwing a fit to my parents. I wasn’t exactly the obedient type of kid that time.” She laughs. 

 

“I ran away from home and due to frustration, I got lost into the woods. Then eventually, I got here. When I saw it, I forgot how angry and sad I was at that time. I just felt...suddenly happy. And nostalgic. This place made me realize how petty my anger was. Just because I didn’t get the toy that I wanted. So after that incident, I found myself here, when I’m bored, when I’m sad, when I’m angry or frustrated or anxious. This place just clears my mind and when I leave, I seemingly always know what to do already.”

 

“I see how special it is to you now.” Yeonwoo says as she marvels on the view. 

 

“Yeah. But that’s not all.” She grins and starts dragging Yeonwoo again somewhere, “Recently, I came across something.” 

 

Nancy drags her to a set of stairs, which looked pretty damn high. It was probably around 200 steps. 

 

“Nancy-“

 

“This is gonna be worth the trouble.” She says and starts walking up the stairs, altogether holding Yeonwoo’s hand. 

 

“You’re lucky this place doesn’t make me feel angry because if it does, I would have punched you for tiring me out this much.” 

 

Nancy just laughs. 

 

Damn her laugh. 

 

It lights up the world. 

 

After a dreading climb up the stairs,

Yeonwoo was busy catching her breath and sitting down the floor.

 

“Look.” Nancy says between her huffs and points infront. 

 

The latter looks. And damn, she’s surprised again. 

 

It was already getting dark and Yeonwoo sees an overview of the city, with the ocean on one side. The industrial busy lights greatly differ from the trees and calm feel the ocean gives. But altogether, it felt like a match. That the two places belong together.

 

“Told you it’s worth the trouble.” Nancy says as she sits beside Yeonwoo.

 

“The city looks so small.”

 

“When you’re here, you’re on top of the world. You have everything in your grasps. You can do anything, say anything, feel anything. No one or nothing can stop you.” Nancy says.

 

She then stands up and shouts, “I WISH YEONWOO UNNIE WOULD FORGIVE ME!”

 

Yeonwoo looks up at her and laughs, “I’m not even angry at you idiot. And even if I am, I would have probably already forgave you because this place is just so beautiful.” 

 

Nancy laughs and sits down, “I’m glad you’re not angry. Now it’s your turn.” 

 

“My turn?”

 

“Shout something you’ve wanted to say for a long time. Or something that’s bothering you. Or even just an inspirational message to yourself.” 

 

And the first thing that Yeonwoo thinks of right now, is confessing to Nancy. 

 

The first thing that she thinks of right now is shouting and telling the world how much she’s fallen inlove with the girl beside her. How she’d do anything for her. 

 

She hesitates, but remembers what Hyebin said. 

 

Just go for it.

 

“Come on.” Nancy smiles. 

 

So Yeonwoo takes a deep breath. She stands up, and tries to calm her raging heartbeat. 

 

“Calm down. Calm down. Calm down.” She whispers to herself as she closes her eyes. 

 

She opens her eyes and steadies herself. She was ready. Whatever Nancy’s reaction is going to be, whatever her answer is, she would accept it. 

 

But before Yeonwoo could shout her feelings out, a ring was heard. 

 

Nancy hurriedly picks it up and smiles as she hears the voice on the other line. 

 

“Hey. Yeah, I’m out with a friend. Sorry. Let’s meet later. Alright, I miss you already.” She laughs.

 

And Yeonwoo swears she hasn’t heard Nancy laugh that way. A laugh so warm and so sincere. It was different from the usual cute laughs she gives Yeonwoo. 

 

Nancy looked so happy to pick up a call from someone. Even Yeonwoo hasn’t seen the girl that happy ever since she met her. 

 

“See you! I love you.”

 

What

 

“Sorry Yeonwoo unnie.” Nancy looks back at her after the call ended, “Oh! I haven’t told you the story about what happened earlier.”

 

“Earlier?”

 

“Yeah. The reason why I forgot about you.”

 

“What’s the reason?”

 

“I found my soulmate!” 

 

And the sound of something cracking was heard.

 

“I’ll tell you about her later. Shout out the thing that you wanted to say first.” 

 

But Yeonwoo couldn’t anymore. Heck she couldn’t even talk. 

 

Her heart had already cracked into a million pieces.

 

—-

 

HEYYYYYY FINALLY UPDATED. 

 

YEAH ANGST YEAH WE’RE GETTING THEREE AND YEAH I LOVE SEONGWOO SO I ADDED HIM HERE AHAHAHHAHA. 

 

COMMENTS ARE APPRECIATED THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR READING THIS.