Lowkey a Date

Shared Feelings

A few days after that, it had gone back to normal again. But with less of the tension in between Yeonwoo and Nancy. 

 

Nancy had nothing to it anyway. She was pretty much oblivious of whatever tension there was between them, the do-this-do-that push-and-pull relationship between her and Yeonwoo. It’s the perks of being young and carefree and confident in your life. And not to mention, absolutely oblivious and dense.

 

While Yeonwoo...Yeonwoo’s having a mid life crisis. She’s gotten better, and she’s back to her normal self again. But she panics at the sight of Nancy. At the touch of Nancy. At the stare of Nancy. Heck anything that has to do with Nancy. 

 

She thought it would stop. She said she would give up when she found out a week ago that she and Nancy aren’t soulmates. But why the hell, does she see herself in front of Nancy’s dorm, ready to give the younger girl an offer to a date. 

 

Well, not exactly a date. But the point is there. 

 

“Oh! Yeonwoo unnie!” Nancy beams when she opens the door.

 

“Heyyy.” Yeonwoo smiles. She then starts making her way in, but stops when she realizes that Nancy hasn’t invited her in yet. 

 

“What are you hesitating at?” Nancy shrugs and looks at Yeonwoo in amusement. She then reaches for the older girl’s hand and drags her into her room. 

 

“You want anything?” Nancy asks when she asked Yeonwoo to sit down the sofa. 

 

“No. I’m just here to uhm...” she trailed off. 

 

Now Yeonwoo panics. She’s thinking of what even brought her here, on what courage she got to be able to ask the younger to go with her on a date. 

 

“Not a date. Not a date.” She whispers to herself, “Calm down.”

 

“Are you saying anything unnie?” Nancy moves closer to her. She puts a hand on Yeonwoo’s forehead, “You don’t seem sick.” 

 

“But your cheeks are really red. Are you okay?” 

 

Yeonwoo gulps and moves away slowly from Nancy. She takes in a deep breath and hurriedly asks, “Willyougoonadatewithme?” 

 

“What?” Nancy moves even closer to hear. 

 

Yeonwoo gulps again. She feels more nervous than ever. Her palms are so sweaty she swears if she clenches her fist she can fill a whole glass from her sweat. 

 

“Uhm...”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Are you free this weekend?” 

 

A silence came, but Yeonwoo doesn’t realize that, as she’s too preoccupied by her heart that feels like it will literally leave her chest from its strong thumping.

 

“I am.” Nancy answers. 

 

So Yeonwoo beams, although her heart is still louder and more distracting than ever, “What do you say about going with me to the children’s shelter this weekend?”

 

Nancy pauses to think and she soon smiles widely at Yeonwoo, “I love kids!! Why not unnie?! It’s set!” 

 

And Yeonwoo sighs in relief. 

 

—-

 

The relief was short lived.

 

Because now Yeonwoo sees herself stressing over what to do on the weekend.

 

They would be giving out food and toys to the children’s shelter, and play with the kids there. It’s nothing Yeonwoo hasn’t done yet. However, this time is different, because she asked her crush to go with her to do it. 

 

So now, there she is, stressing over what clothes to wear. 

 

“This?” She says as she looks at her reflection in the mirror. 

 

She’s sporting a blue dress that hangs just bellow the knee with her gold sandals.

 

“Too much.” 

 

“How about this?” She says as she wears a red flannel top tucked in a black skirt that hangs a bit higher than her knee. She then wears her black sandals and black purse. 

 

“Not this-“ 

 

*DING DONG*

 

But the doorbell rang, and Yeonwoo has no choice but to answer it. She breathes in and out, then steadies herself as she opens her door. 

 

“Wow.” Yeonwoo and Nancy both say.

 

She takes in the younger girl’s white polo top tucked to her denim shorts as she wears a white Converse to finish her look. 

 

It was a very normal and casual look, but Yeonwoo thinks she’s looking at a supermodel wearing designer clothes because of how Nancy looks so freaking good in what she wears. 

 

“Let’s go?” Nancy beams at her. Yeonwoo smiles. 

 

“Hey McDonie! Get her home before 9 o’ clock PM!” Hyebin shouts from inside the dorm.

 

“I’m not a kid! And Nancy’s younger than me!” Yeonwoo complains but Nancy just smiles and replies, “Got it Captain!”

 

 

It was fun. Nancy was having lots of fun. She was always fond of kids and it warms her heart to be able to make the children happy. She even wonders why she haven’t even thought of volunteering to do this work back then.

 

“Nancy noona!” A young boy calls her. Nancy smiles at him and picks him up for a piggyback ride. 

 

“Where do you want to go?” 

 

“To Yeonwoo noona!” 

 

“Alright.” 

 

So Nancy runs, albeit a bit careful because she’s carrying an adorable little ball of fluff on her back. 

 

She sees the older girl reading a book to some young kids so she silently creeps behind her back. She signals Shiro, the kid on her back, to be silent as she carries out her plan. 

 

“BOO!” 

 

Yeonwoo yelps and hurriedly turned around and accidentally hits Nancy. 

 

“Nancy!” She pouts and the younger kids laugh. 

 

Nancy laughs as well and hugs Yeonwoo, “Sorry.” 

 

As she hugs the girl, Shiro goes down and moves in between the two to join the hug. 

 

“Hey kiddo.” Yeonwoo smiles as she hugs Shiro. 

 

“Yeonwoo noona!” Shiro smiles and Yeonwoo pulls him into her arms. 

 

Nancy settles down and sits beside her as she starts talking to the other children. 

 

“So, what was Yeonwoo unnie’s story about?” 

 

“It was about how she met her soulmate!” A kid answered.

 

Nancy’s eyebrows furrowed as she looked confusedly at Yeonwoo, “You’ve met your soulmate?”

 

“No. But I’m telling them a story of two young lovers who are soulmates but didn’t end up together.” 

 

“And why’s that?” 

 

“Just because.” She shrugs,  “Time, space, everything in between. There are people whose soulmate is a century away from their timezone. And there are those who die before they can meet their soulmate. Not everything works out you know.” 

 

“That’s not true.” Nancy insists, “If they don’t work out, then they aren’t soulmates. If one dies, then they’ll be reincarnated in a different world, in a different time, and eventually they’ll meet and fall in love.” 

 

Yeonwoo looks at Nancy who looks so serious as she discusses the concepts of soulmates to her.

 

“You really do strongly believe in that huh?” 

 

“I do.” Nancy looks down with a smile as she thinks of her soulmate. Yeonwoo notices this but she just looks away. 

 

“Anyway, aren’t these kids too young to be thinking about soulmates?” Nancy laughs as she pats Shiro on the head. 

 

The kids laugh as they agree. Soon enough, the kids have been invited to eat snacks. Yeonwoo and Nancy were also invited, but they just ate and they both still do not have the appetite. So they stay in the garden as they watch the sunset.

 

“It’s so pretty.” Yeonwoo says. 

 

And Nancy almost says ‘Like you’ but she stops herself before doing or saying anything stupid. She then internally groans because why the heck is she thinking about that in the first place.

 

“Yeah it is.” Nancy manages to say, “Oh. You never really told me how you got to know this Children Shelter?”

 

“Oh that.” 

 

A pause.

 

“I...I’m here because I live here.”

 

Nancy takes a few minutes before her mind clicks, “You live here? Are you adopted?” 

 

“N-no. No one picked me when I was a kid. I was just too much for people to handle back then. So I grew up here in the orphanage, eventually I got to work part time jobs which I used to earn money for education. I didn’t want to bother the shelter to give me money. And so I worked and studied and finally got the top during high school, which earned me a scholarship to our university.” Yeonwoo smiles. She smiles as if it was a memory of her childhood that she wants to keep. As if everything is fine now, that everything works out now.

 

Nancy moves closer to her. She scans the older girl’s face for any signs of sadness or tears. But Yeonwoo was smiling. She’s smiling and Nancy knows that it’s a genuine smile. 

 

“I’m sorry.” Nancy says.

 

“Don’t be. It’s fine. I’m happy that the shelter is where I grew up. I’m blessed to be able to be raised by amazing people. And everything is fine now.”

 

Nancy holds Yeonwoo’s hand, “Why didn’t I know about this? If I didn’t ask I wouldn’t have known.”

 

“It’s scary. I’m proud of how I grew up. Of who raised me. But it’s scary how quick people are to judge when you say that you grew up in a shelter. And that no one wanted to adopt you. It’s scary because their view of me would change just because of my past.”

 

Nancy’s hold on Yeonwoo’s hands grow tighter. “My view of you would never change.” 

 

“I know. But not everyone is as kind and understanding as you are.” Yeonwoo smiles and pinches Nancy’s cheeks. 

 

A moment of silence and Nancy speaks again.

 

“How about your real parents?” She asks. 

 

She noticed how Yeonwoo’s eyes grow a bit larger at the question and how her turns eyes turned into a deep shade of black.

 

All of a sudden, Yeonwoo feels cold.

 

It was the first time that Nancy felt distant to the other girl. 

 

“Sorry for asking.” Nancy hurriedly said when she realized that Yeonwoo hasn’t said anything for almost five minutes.

 

“It’s fine.” 

 

No, she wasn’t fine. Nancy wanted to move closer, to comfort her. 

 

But Yeonwoo seems so far away, that even for that one moment, she felt so cold and alone. And that the Yeonwoo she knows suddenly disappeared. 

 

So she just stays quiet and looks at the sun again. 

 

 

The day goes on and they find themselves feeding the little babies in the orphanage. 

 

“Hanyeong is soo cute.” Yeonwoo squeals as she carries the eight month old baby in her arms. 

 

Nancy sighs as Yeonwoo’s back to her usual beautiful, calm and warm self. 

 

She takes a spoonful of Cerelac and places it infront of Hanyeong’s mouth. 

 

“Eat up kiddo. So that you’ll grow as amazing as your Nancy unnie.” She grins.

 

“No. Eat up so you’ll grow as tall as your Yeonwoo unnie.” Yeonwoo looks at the baby. 

 

“Eat up so you’ll be good in sports like Nancy unnie.” 

 

“Eat so you’ll be as smart as Yeonwoo unnie.” 

 

“Eat so you-“

 

“All right that’s enough.” Yeonwoo laughs as she cuts what Nancy was going to say. 

 

“But I’m not yet-“

 

She didn’t finish because Hanyeong suddenly moved closer to take a bite of her food. The baby giggles and slaps Yeonwoo’s shoulder again and again to ask for more. 

 

“She wants more.” Yeonwoo smiles and Nancy takes another spoonful and offers it to the adorable baby in Yeonwoo’s arms.

 

Nancy looks at Yeonwoo who is looking adoringly at the baby in her arms. She holds her with so much care and love that you would think that she’s the mother or sister of Hanyeong. 

 

“You would make a great mother.” Nancy says.

 

Yeonwoo smiles, “I want to give the perfect life to my kids in the future.” 

 

“Your soulmate is so freaking lucky to have you.” Nancy says. 

 

And she means it. Every word. 

 

She almost feels jealous of Yeonwoo’s soulmate. 

 

No not almost. 

 

She feels jealous. 

 

Needless to say, this trip to the orphanage with Yeonwoo has made Nancy realize two things.

 

One is that she is so attracted to Yeonwoo, to the point where she just wants to always see her, see her smile, her laugh, her pout. See her everything. That she’s ready to do anything for Yeonwoo. She’d go to hell and back just to make the girl happy. 

 

And the second thing she realized is that, she’s indeed ed.

 

She can’t be feeling whatever those feelings are. She has a soulmate! A soulmate who’s waiting to meet her. She can’t be falling inlove with another girl.

 

So she thinks she doesn’t like Yeonwoo. 

 

“I don’t like her.” Nancy said to herself.

 

—-

 

HEYYY SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING FOR SO LONGGG. Things have been busy. 

 

But I’m back, and I’m ready to keep this fic going.

 

Comments are greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks for reading everyone!