Light

Shared Feelings

“Go Nancy!” 

 

Nancy smiled and felt the rush of excitement overwhelm her as she hit the ball straight into the other court.

 

“And another point for DK University.” The announcer says and the crowd cheers. 

 

It was one of their expedition matches against another school and it happened to be Chaeryung’s school that they were up against.

 

Nancy looked around. A couple of her schoolmates are there to cheer for them. She first noticed Ahin’s soulmate, Jooe in the seats. She was sitting with Nayun and Taeha. 

 

Usually, their group would contain Yeonwoo but she didn’t see the older girl this time. 

 

It was fine though.

 

She didn’t know how to face the older girl knowing that she’s just hurting her. She felt guilty, but she knows she can’t do anything. They’re destined to be with somebody else.

 

“Libero!” Their captain shouts after realizing that Nancy won’t receive the ball. Jane struggles to dive to save the ball from hitting the ground. 

 

“Yah Mcdonie! Focus!” Ahin tells her and knocks on her head. 

 

Nancy looks surprised and smiled cheekily, “Sorry unnies.” She says then spikes another ball to the other court. 

 

Another point. 

 

She looks around once again, looking for Chaeryung who was sitting on the bleachers. But surprisingly, she wasn’t there. 

 

Nancy wonders where she went but she removed it out of her head as she received a ball. She needed to focus on the game first. 

 

—-

 

Yeonwoo looked down as she walked around the campus of BD University, the school where the volleyball match was held. 

 

She really didn’t want to go, but she was forced by her group of friends, telling her to loosen up and leave the dorm. 

 

She hesitates but soon accepts, realizing she hasn’t spent time with the three for so long.

 

It was around a week ago when she accidentally confessed to Nancy. 

 

She expected she’d be broken and hurt all over, but she was able to put a smile on her face. It was like a big problem was removed and she felt free. 

 

She remembers what Seongwoo told her that day, to just go and confess. She’s glad she was able to confess to Nancy, even if it was unplanned. Even if she looked so horrifyingly broken that time. She cried and cried but after that, she felt fine. 

 

After all, nothing would change anyway. Nancy will still ignore her like as she did before she confessed. They’re relationship is already as broken as it is back then. She lost nothing from confessing.

 

And she thought for the first time, that maybe it was finally time to let go and move on.

 

She smiles in relief. 

 

However her relief was short lived. 

 

Fate has a weird way of pulling their strings. 

 

Just when she thought she’d finally cut herself from Nancy, she saw something that changed her world again. 

 

“What the heck?” She whispers to herself in shock of what she just saw. 

 

It was Chaeryung with the guy who beat up Hyebin and the others. They looked pretty intimate, with his hand around her waist and her hands on his face. 

 

“I really missed you. Aren’t you done playing with that stupid volleyball kid?”

 

Chaeryung just smirks and scoffs, “I’m having fun.”

 

“I didn’t expect her to come over and try to teach me a lesson though. She’s stupidly in love with you.” Yeongjong laughs.

 

“I know and it’s funny. She looks like a love sick puppy every time she sees me.” Chaeryung smirks.

 

Yeonwoo clenches her first. Her face turned into a big frown and she did everything in her power not to just run over there and slap the girl.

 

All this time, all this freaking time, Chaeryung was just playing with Nancy.

 

“That .” Yeonwoo says in anger as she watches how she kissed the guy. 

 

Chaeryung asked her to move away from Nancy. Chaeryung caused Nancy to be all aggressive and angry. Chaeryung almost got Nancy hurt and in trouble.

 

Nancy was the happiest she’s ever been with this girl. She was her light, her happiness. 

 

But the truth? She’s just a lying piece of garbage. 

 

She controlled her, used her, and Yeonwoo couldn’t be more angrier. 

 

So she walks up to the two, not caring a damn in the world and separated Chaeryung and Yeongjong. 

 

Chaeryung looked surprised to see her, “What are you-“

 

SLAP

 

Yeonwoo had already slapped her. Her face showed just how angry she was, with her fist clenched and her breathing ragged.

 

“Baby? Want me to take her away?” Yeongjong asks as he looks angrily at Yeonwoo. 

 

“Leave us for a while.” Chaeryung tells him while glaring at Yeonwoo. Yeongjong just shruggs and just leaves.

 

“You liar! You’re cheating on her!” Yeonwoo shouts at her face. 

 

Chaeryung just laughs, “It took two weeks for someone to notice that. I think I’m actually pretty good at this.”

 

Yeonwoo raises her hand to slap Chaeryung again but the girl already caught it before it made contact with her face.

 

“Touch me and Nancy won’t forgive you.” She smirks.

 

“You aren’t her soulmate aren’t you?” Yeonwoo grits her teeth. 

 

“Well no.” Chaeryung laughs again, “But it’s interesting and funny watching her think that I am. Falling all over me. Abandoning everything for me. Even you.”

 

“You’re a horrible person...” Yeonwoo says as she looks down to prevent herself from being more angry. She wanted to control herself, if not, she would really almost kill the girl.

 

“Well I know I am. But hey, Nancy’s really stupid. She doesn’t realize it yet.” Chaeryung says. 

 

Yeonwoo looks at her angrily, “Let go of me.”

 

“Not yet. I have an idea.” Chaeryung’s eyes twinkled in mischief, “Their game should probably be done by now.” 

 

She brings out her phone and texted Nancy. After a while, she placed back her phone into her bag and looked at Yeonwoo again.

 

“You’re pathetic.” Chaeryung smiles in a menacing way as she sees Yeonwoo looking disheveled and broken. So different from when she first saw her.

 

“And to think that you actually scared me the first time we met. I guess even geniuses lose theirselves when it comes to love.” 

 

Yeonwoo struggled to break free from her grasp, “Let go of me!”

 

Chaeryung looks to her side, she then sees Nancy walking towards them but the girl hasn’t seen them yet. 

 

Chaeryung smirks, she moves closer to Yeonwoo and whispers in her ear, “Nancy is mine. She’s mine to be played with, she’s my toy. And after I get over her, I’ll leave her and drop her so hard she’d be depressed all her life.”

 

Yeonwoo growls and forcefully moves away from Chaeryung. She grits her teeth and her hands form a knuckle. 

 

“You !” Yeonwoo angrily snaps at Chaeryung. She raises her hand and slaps the girl infront of her. A lot harder this time. 

 

“Yeonwoo unnie!”

 

They both stop in their tracks when they hear a voice. 

 

Chaeryung looks down, ignoring the searing pain in her cheek as she hides a smile covered by her hair.

 

Yeonwoo on the other hand, stopped in her tracks. 

 

It was that damn voice again. 

 

Before Yeonwoo could even do anything, Nancy grabbed her hand harshly to face her. 

 

“What the heck are you doing?!” Nancy glares at her. She was turning red, her face in a frown and her knuckles closed. 

 

It was the same anger from when she tried to fight with Yeongjong.

 

But this time, the object of her anger is Yeonwoo.

 

Yeonwoo was hurt. Nancy looked at her with so much anger and resentment. 

 

She looked at her...almost like she hated her. 

 

But Yeonwoo just removes that thought out of her mind. She removes the feeling of betrayal, disappointment, and hurt from her thoughts. She needed to tell Nancy important things. 

 

“It’s not what you think it is.” Yeonwoo tells Nancy as she pried her hands away from the fuming girl.

 

“How is it not what I think it is?!” Nancy shouts, “You called her a and slapped her!” 

 

“I did that for a reason!” Yeonwoo shouts back, “That is lying to you! She’s just playing with you. She’s not even your soulmate.”

 

Nancy’s angry face turned to confusion. She was about to ask what’s going on when Chaeryung clinged to her arm.

 

“Don’t listen to her baby. She’s just trying to separate us from each other! You saw how she hurt me!” Chaeryung wipes her tears, “I was just minding my own business. I walked to the canteen to buy you water after your game. But she just suddenly approached me and called me bad things. She said I was a and that I stole you away from her! I tried to reason with her, I said I really loved you and I won’t let you go. So she resulted in violence and slapped me!”

 

Yeonwoo looks at Chaeryung with mixed anger and confusion, “The nerve you have to say-“ 

 

She stopped whatever she was going to say when she saw Nancy look at her. 

 

It was a different Nancy from the Nancy she was used to. The Nancy she loves.

 

This Nancy infront of her was looking at her with so much hatred, so much anger, that she didn’t recognize her anymore. 

 

“Were you that desperate?” Her voice was calm, but it held a certain coldness and anger in it that it made even Yeonwoo shiver and back down. 

 

She looks at Yeonwoo straight in the eyes, but Yeonwoo doesn’t see the shine in the younger’s eyes like she used to, it was completely clouded. 

 

“You’ve really changed.” Yeonwoo whispers to herself as she struggles to stand her ground. 

 

“I’m not that desperate.” Yeonwoo answers, “Damn if I was then I wouldn’t have left your side and avoided you for what felt like years to me!”

 

“Then why did you hurt Chaeryung?!” 

 

“She deserved it!” Yeonwoo shouts back, “Nancy wake up! She’s just playing with you! She’s not your soulmate! I saw her being intimate with the guy you fought with earlier! Stop being stupidly blind about everything just for once!” 

 

Nancy hesitates, she looks back at Chaeryung who’s crying in her arms. 

 

“Why would I hurt you when you know how much I love you? Are you seriously going to believe her? I’m your soulmate! Your other half! She wants to separate us!” Chaeryung cries and runs away from the two. 

 

Nancy was about to follow her but Yeonwoo had already grabbed her hand. 

 

“Believe me. Please.”

 

But Nancy moves away from her grip and glares at her, “Stop lying already Yeonwoo unnie! I know that you love me but I’m sorry I can’t reciprocate that! But you don’t have to separate us, to try to keep me away from Chaeryung. She’s my happiness, she’s my world! I don’t care about anything in this life as long as she’s with me and she’s happy!” 

 

Yeonwoo grits her teeth. She’s had it with this girl, how stupid and stubborn she is, how changed she already is. 

 

She looks down and tears start dripping from her eyes, “Do you really think of me that way?! That I’ll do everything just to have you?! That I’ll lie and make up stories just for you to love me?! Nancy...do you even know me?!”

 

“I saw you hurt Chaeryung!” 

 

“I did it for a reason!” Yeonwoo snaps back, “You know what?! I wish I was that brave and inconsiderate to actually really do that. To hurt other people for my happiness. Because it damn freaking hurts to be so selfless all the time! To act as if I’m fine and not do anything about the hurt and pain slowly eating me up!”

 

Yeonwoo brushes her hand over her disheveled hair and heaves a deep breath as she looks up, with tears rolling down her cheek, “I love you so much and I’d do anything for you to be happy. But I guess I can’t do it anymore. Loving you hurt so ing much now. I can’t sleep, I can’t eat properly, I can’t focus on my studies because I’m too broken to do so! I love you but it’s already too much. I’m tired Nancy...” 

 

She turns around without sparing the younger girl another look, “If you’re happy with a fake relationship then suit yourself.”

 

And she’s the one who leaves this time.

 

—-

 

Rain.

 

The sky was dripping with water when Yeonwoo finally found herself walking back to her dorm in their school campus. 

 

She was drenched, but she couldn’t care less. 

 

Her heart hurt so much. 

 

Her heartbeat was stronger than any other sound, the thumping she felt in her chest was overwhelming that she didn’t realize what or where she is now. 

 

She’s not sure if her tears had stopped due to the numbness or emptiness, or just because the rain is washing her tears away. 

 

She smiled bitterly at her self. 

 

“What have I been reduced to now?” 

 

A broken, useless person, drenched in the rain with no where to go, nothing to feel. That was what she was thinking. 

 

But really, it didn’t matter. Nothing mattered. 

 

Her heart was still hurting all over and she doesn’t even know if she’s hurt or just already too numb. 

 

She said she’d move on. That she’d finally let go of Nancy when she accidentally confessed to her a week ago.

 

But why is her feelings still intact, still stronger than ever? 

 

“You’re so stupid.” She whispers to the rain.

 

It was meant for her and for Nancy. 

 

Nancy because she doesn’t believe her and because well, she’s really just stupid.

 

And for her, because she’s so stupidly in love with Nancy, that she’s getting herself mopped and broken all over just because of one person. 

 

She grew up without parents, without a sustainable environment as the children’s shelter was still insufficient. She learned to be strong and independent. 

 

To live by her own, work on her own, fix her life on her own. 

 

She was strong. Whenever a problem would arise, she would fix it with her determination, intelligence and perseverance. 

 

But why is it that right now, she’s fallen into a pit so deep, a void so dark, that she doesn’t see any light or opening. 

 

Why is it that after years of being independent and strong, just one person would bring down her walls, would cause her to be in pieces. 

 

She hated how weak she feels, how vulnerable and sad she is, how Nancy was able to hit her so hard and affect her so hard. 

 

She was lost in her own world, not thinking of where she was going, or wherever she was. 

 

She bumped with a couple of people who cursed and got angry at her. 

 

But she couldn’t even bring herself to say sorry, or to even mutter a word.

 

She was lost in her own world that she doesn’t notice a figure approaching her. 

 

“Your hero to the rescue.” 

 

A voice was heard. 

 

She felt a jacket being draped around her shoulder and suddenly the raindrops stopped pouring on her. 

 

She looks up to see Seongwoo who was smiling at her while holding an umbrella. 

 

“It hurts me to see you like this.”

 

Yeonwoo looks down, still unable to say anything. 

 

They continue walking without talking. Seongwoo was just there beside her, providing comfort even if they weren’t having a conversation. 

 

“Hey.” Seongwoo calls, “Look up.” 

 

Yeonwoo numbly does so, and when she does, she doesn’t see the umbrella. 

 

She sees the sky. 

 

A sky so bright, almost like it wasn’t raining just earlier. She also spots a rainbow amidst the clouds, shining with all it’s colors.

 

“Our feelings are like the weather.” Seongwoo says, “It always changes, sometimes too extreme like a typhoon or a hurricane. But after that, the sun always shines bright again. Things may have been broken due to the calamity, but due time, it’ll be restored. As long as there’s light, you’ll be fine.” 

 

He looks at her and he sees a slight glint of shine in her eyes that he didn’t see earlier. 

 

He smiles and holds her hand tight. 

 

Yeonwoo looks back at him, her lips formed a small smile. Not a bitter one, not a forced one, but a sincere one. 

 

“Why do you always come across me when I’m pitiful and broken?” She asks, her voice a bit hoarse and rash from all the crying. 

 

She wipes her tears and looks up at the sky. 

 

“As long as there’s light..”

 

—-

 

HEYYYYY

 

SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING FOR SO LONG. I HAD CLASSES AND ALL AND I SUDDENLY HAVE A ONE WEEK VACATION SO IM PLANNING ON WRITING THE REMAINING CHAPTERS DURING THIS TIME. I HOPE I FINISH. 

 

And yes, Seongwoo is bae ;)