Dinner at Jeonghan's

The Boy Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeonghan yawned as he walked through the gates of his school rotating his neck, the bones making loud cracking sounds as he made his way to first period. He'd had a rather sleepless night thinking about the kiss he'd shared with Mingyu. He only managed to fall asleep after the sun had begun rising which added up to a total of three hours of shuteye -- Jeonghan was exhausted.

He bowed to the teachers as he entered the school building and yawned extravagantly the minute he stepped foot into the classroom, he immediately felt even more fatigued if that was even possible. School was draining, that was a fact. Jeonghan went to sit in his seat at the back of the room letting out a sigh. He didn't even notice when Seungcheol came to sit in the seat beside him.

"Aye! Yoon Jeonghan!" Seungcheol's only had one volume and no mute button, he really wished his friend had a mute button.

"Hey," Jeonghan didn't even try to sound enthusiastic.

"Thanks again for leaving me to do the dishes on my own by the way, really appreciated it," Seungcheol griped before getting into his seat.

"Anytime, friend," Jeonghan felt a small smile play on his lips.

"Why did you invite Mingyu over yesterday but not me?" Seungcheol suddenly looked over at his blond friend whose face was down on his desk.

"I haven't seen Mingyu in four years, I see your ugly mug almost everyday. You do the math," Jeonghan defended, he felt sweat building on the back of his neck.

"Did you guys fight or something? He slammed his door on me when he came home last night," Seungcheol pushed.

"No, we didn't fight and like I said, he's going through puberty. Let him live," Jeonghan turned his head avoiding looking in Seungcheol's direction.

"Did you guys end up practising the new song?" Jihoon's voice caught Jeonghan's attention, taking a seat in the empty chair on Jeonghan's right.

"Sorry Jihoon, I was a little busy yesterday so only managed to squeeze in a hour of practice," Jeonghan looked up at the petite boy in front of him.

"It's fine, I'm not worried about you, I'm more worried about that er," Jihoon nodded over at Seungcheol who was trying to untangle his earphones from his earring.

"I'm working on it," Seungcheol looked over Jihoon with a nervous smile.

"You better or else you're going to have to start saving up for another guitar," Jihoon narrowed his eyes before unpacking his notebook from his backpack.

Morning classes passed by quickly like they always did, well to Jeonghan it did because he'd fallen asleep right after roll call for every period. It was already a good two months into the semester and he had only been awake for the tests. He walked with Seungcheol and Jihoon through the hall stopping by the neighbouring classroom where Seungkwan was. Jeonghan stuck his head into the room where the Jeju native stood talking to the transfer student. Jeonghan felt himself cringe at the sight of Seungkwan trying his best to speak English to the boy in front of him.

"I English-ie very well, correct?" Seungkwan smiled.

Vernon, the transfer student stared at his new friend with his head turned in confusion but nodded along in order to not hurt his friend's feelings.

"Yeah, your English is great," Vernon gave Seungkwan a thumbs up.

"Oi, Jeju Orange! We have band practice today after school, don't be late or you're dead!" Jihoon leaned over Jeonghan giving the Jeju native a look before he pulled Jeonghan along.

"What'd you call me?!" Seungkwan was about to follow Jihoon only to be stopped by Vernon's arm on his shoulder.

"Was that really necessary?" Jeonghan asked the shorter boy as they made their way into the cafeteria.

"Yes," Jihoon replied without an ounce of regret in his voice.

Jeonghan shook his head but didn't push the issue any further, him and Jihoon were on good terms and he didn't want to entertain the idea of possibly falling out of the boy's good graces. He didn't want to end up like that poor basketball player who almost got impaled with a drumstick. Jeonghan shivered at the thought as he went to go buy his lunch. The three of them walked over to their usual table by the large windows where their other friends had already gathered. Jeonghan sat down beside Soonyoung and Wonwoo who looked like they were discussing something serious until he actually got to hear what they were saying.

"She told me to stop calling her, so I stopped calling her. Then, she messaged me and asked me why I stopped trying to contact her," Soonyoung said between bites of his sandwich.

"Women are ing weird," Wonwoo agreed as he swiped away the lettuce that had flung from Soonyoung's sandwich onto the book he was reading.

"So we've officially broken up but she's been sending me passive aggressive messages about how this whole thing was my fault," Soonyoung shoved the remainder on his sandwich in his mouth.

"Cheer up man, you'll find someone else," Wonwoo ruffled his friend's hair, hand lingered a little longer than it needed to be.

Jeonghan looked over at Wonwoo with knowing eyes, Wonwoo immediately withdrew his hand and turned his attention back to his book. Jeonghan knew Wonwoo definitely had feelings for Soonyoung, the guy had revealed it one day in PE when he'd called Soonyoung cute during their class stretching exercise -- Jeonghan had been conveniently standing close enough to hear it. Jeonghan wasn't a bad person so he'd promised to keep that fact to himself although Wonwoo wasn't exactly subtle about his feelings, thank god Soonyoung was denser than block of wood.

"If only you could find yourself someone like Wonwoo," Jeonghan casually threw out before taking a sip of his orange juice.

"Jeonghan," Wonwoo threw a piece of lettuce in his direction.

"Man, if only you had s," Soonyoung rested his face on his hands looking down at Wonwoo's chest.

Wonwoo swatted Soonyoung's head with his book before getting up from the table. Soonyoung of course trailed right after the taller boy, draping his arm over Wonwoo's shoulders as they disappeared out the cafeteria door. Jeonghan shook his head looking over at Jihoon who was staring right back at him.

"How long do think it'll take before Soonyoung realises he loves Wonwoo?" Jeonghan asked.

"I'd give it a month or two, Soonyoung's just about dumb as dirt,"Jihoon waved his hand.

"I'd argue but I have no argument," Jeonghan admitted thinking of the one time Soonyoung thought eggs were a vegetable.

Jeonghan took a bite of his kimbap looking around the cafeteria only to see Mingyu walking in. The younger boy looked rather lost as he walked around the rows of tables, unsure of where to sit or who to talk to. Swallowing his mouthful of food Jeonghan decided to push yesterday's incident to the back of his mind, he waved his arm in the air to catch Mingyu's attention. The younger boy looked at him with wide eyes but began walking over like a puppy who saw it's owner. Mingyu bowed at both Jeonghan and Jihoon but only gave Seungcheol a nod before sitting down. Jeonghan put on a smile trying his best not to make things uncomfortable.

"How was class?" Jeonghan asked the younger boy.

"Normal," Mingyu gave a single worded answer with downcast eyes, either his sandwich was really interesting or Mingyu just didn't want to look at Jeonghan.

"Seungcheol! Jihoon! Ms. Song is looking for you guys in the music room," Seungkwan shouted from the cafeteria entrance before leaving as quickly as he came.

"She probably needs us to tune the guitars again, the freshmen keep messing with them during her lessons," Jihoon let out a sigh, he hated the freshmen.

" me," Seungcheol balled up his napkin.

Jeonghan bit the inside of his cheek, he was alone with Mingyu. ing swell. He and the younger boy ate in silence doing their best trying not to acknowledge the fact that the awkwardness was building as time went on. Finally, Jeonghan set down his chopsticks with a clack and turned his full attention onto Mingyu who jumped at the sound.

"We're going to have to talk about what happened last night sooner or later," Jeonghan crossed his arms over his chest.

"Can we just forget that it happened?" Mingyu picked at the pieces of chicken in his sandwich.

"It doesn't change the fact that we kissed."

"It was a mistake okay? Let's just let it go."

"So you want to pretend that it never happened?"

"Yes," Mingyu nodded.

"Fine, then it never happened," Jeonghan shrugged before going back to eating.

"Just like that?" Mingyu pursed his lips.

"Yup," Jeonghan answered.

Before Mingyu could open his mouth the bell rang indicating that lunch had ended. Jeonghan gave a curt 'bye' to the younger boy and made his way to his next class. He went to the boys' locker room to get dressed for PE feeling frustrated that Mingyu wanted to sweep their little kiss under the rug but he was also frustrated by the fact that it affected him the way it did. Jeonghan had so many questions to ask the younger boy.

He stepped out of the locker room dressed in the school's sports uniform, a pair of blue tracksuit pants and a loose white t-shirt. He stood in line with the rest of his peers who were gathered around the centre of the oval. Jeonghan groaned seeing that the pudgy PE teacher was putting cones around the race track that meant only one thing, running -- Jeonghan was ready to throw in the towel. Looking to his left he saw Wonwoo dragging his feet across the field with his hands in his pockets and a frown on his face. The fox-eyed boy was just about enthusiastic about running as Jeonghan was.

"Any progress with Soonyoung?" Jeonghan asked.

"Nope, somehow I made less progress. I don't know how that's even possible," Wonwoo kicked the grass under his feet.

"Well I guess we've both hit a wall," Jeonghan patted his friend's shoulder.

"Why? What happened?"

"I kissed Seungcheol's younger brother yesterday," Jeonghan blurted.

"Come again?" Wonwoo's head snapped up.

"You heard me," Jeonghan ran a hand through his hair, his cheeks flushing.

"Does Seungcheol know?" Wonwoo pushed.

"Nope and he never will because Mingyu wants to bury this incident," Jeonghan explained.

"Might just be hormones you know, the kid might just be and doesn't know what to do about it," Wonwoo reasoned.

"I'd like to think that's the case," Jeonghan nodded as they sat cross legged along with their classmates on the grass.

"Okay, boys and girls split up, girls on the right side of the oval, boys on the left! We're doing sprint training today and you're all getting timed," the pudgy man in baggy sweats said as he waddled back and forth.

"Is participation compulsory?" Jeonghan raised his hand.

"Yes, Yoon Jeonghan," the pudgy man replied looking not at all enthused by Jeonghan's attitude.

"Well me gently with a chainsaw," Jeonghan mumbled.

Wonwoo and Jeonghan stood next to one another on the track waiting their turn as the people in front of them did their sprints. Jeonghan despite his laziness was actually pretty fast, mainly because he had plenty of practice trying to run away from his mother as a kid to avoid getting his sassy beat. He did his sprint running the required distance and immediately found himself crawling on all fours once he'd heard the teacher call out his sprint time.

"Nine point two seconds, you pass," he announced.

"You can right off you pudgy bastard," Jeonghan whispered under his breath as he sat back down on the grass.

"I'm dying," Wonwoo joined him only seconds later.

The two sloths sat side by side trying to regain their breath all the while ignoring everyone else who looked like they were doing just fine, how in the world was everybody not tired?

"Hey, I don't want to scare you or anything but there's a guy staring at you from the soccer field," Wonwoo whispered in his ear.

"What?" Jeonghan leaned his head toward Wonwoo.

"Over by the soccer field, there's a guy whose looking at you," Wonwoo repeated.

Jeonghan whipped his head around to see Mingyu dressed in the school's soccer uniform, from what he could tell Mingyu didn't look happy. Jeonghan turned his attention back to Wonwoo, whispering into his ear.

"That's Seungcheol's younger brother."

"The tree wearing the soccer uniform?" Wonwoo asked, head shooting up to look at Mingyu.

"Don't be so obvious," Jeonghan hissed.

"Well he's not bad to look at, can't say I see Seungcheol in him though. He doesn't look camel-like," Wonwoo bent back down.

"Is he still looking?" Jeonghan didn't want to check.

"He's gone back to playing ball," Wonwoo informed him.

"Seriously, this kid is doing my head in. What does he want?" Jeonghan fell back on the grass.

"Seems to me like he's interested," Wonwoo laughed.

"He's probably just confused," Jeonghan shook off Wonwoo's words.

"You free after school today?"

"I've got band

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter