Lilacs

The Boy Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeonghan sat in the library with a piece of paper in his hands, graduation was coming up in two weeks and he had yet to hand in the paper outlining what he wanted to do after school ended. Sure it wasn't a requirement but after seeing his fellow classmates handing in the papers he felt the pressure to do so as well. The principal had announced that what they wrote on the paper was going to be read out along with the reception of their diploma. Majority of his classmates had said they were going to university which was what he'd wanted as well but the more he played with the band the more he was straying away from his original plan. He leaned back in his chair only to be met with something solid on the back of his head. Opening his eyes he saw Mingyu standing behind him with a carton of strawberry milk in his hand.

"Hey," the boy said and placed the strawberry milk in front of his hyung.

"What are you doing?" Mingyu asked as he took a seat next to his hyung.

Instead of answering he pushed the piece of paper over to his dongsaeng and allowed him to read the paper. Mingyu's eyes scanned the paper before looking up at his hyung, he didn't look at all bothered by what that meant. Jeonghan kept his eyes downcast as he thought about him and Mingyu, once he graduated there was a slim chance that they were going to see each other especially if he decided university life wasn't the path he was going to take.

"You'll be going to university right? We won't see each other at school anymore but I'll still get to see you everyday after school and on weekends," Mingyu's smile only made Jeonghan feel more guilty.

The poor kid probably thought they were going to be teenage sweethearts and end up having a house with a white picket fence. Jeonghan knew that relationships between two people in different grades rarely ever worked out once one of them graduated. He had to remind himself that his dongsaeng was still going through puberty, his hormones were raging and the boy was going to be surrounded by people who would be more than interested in him, Mingyu was handsome it was bound to happen. Jeonghan's mind began spiralling down to darker thoughts as time passed, he had to shake himself out of it.

"You think I'm going to university?" Jeonghan raised a brow.

"Well, you definitely have the smarts for it, not going would be a waste," Mingyu said as he draped an arm around the back of Jeonghan's chair.

"Hm," Jeonghan looked absently at the carton of strawberry milk.

"And then after I graduate we can finally be a real couple, no more snooping around and no more keeping secrets," Mingyu looked around the library making sure they were alone before giving Jeonghan's temple a kiss.

"That's a whole lot of waiting," two years of waiting to be exact, Jeonghan didn't know if he was able to wait that long.

"I promise I'll make it worth it hyung," Mingyu rested his head on Jeonghan's shoulder.

"That's a big promise," Jeonghan said, his voice barely audible.

"Did you say something hyung?" Mingyu sat up.

"No, just talking to myself," Jeonghan lied.

The bell rang signalling the end of lunch, Mingyu gave him a quick peck on the forehead and ran out of the library. Jeonghan took a more leisurely pace and put the piece of paper in between the pages of his textbook. The more he thought about it, the less he wanted to entertain the idea of playing the waiting game until it was Mingyu's turn to graduate. He knew the younger boy had no intention of telling anyone his orientation or even if the boy knew what he identified as. He knew it was selfish to ask the boy to go public about their relationship when he wasn't ready but at the same time he didn't want to go on hiding things from everyone. Also, being a university student just didn't seem to appeal to him the same way it once did, he hated school so why condemn him to even more years of it once he had his high school diploma?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Seungkwan, a little higher on the last note. You're sounding flat," Jihoon pointed a drumstick at the Jeju native who looked rather offended.

"Flat? That was as sharp as sharp can get," Seungkwan countered.

"From the top!" Jihoon tapped his drumsticks completely ignoring Seungkwan's words altogether.

Jeonghan shook his head as he began strumming his bass. Band practice had increased in duration ever since Jihoon talked to the talent scout. He'd informed the band that if they did well in their performance tonight there was a chance they could actually be picked up by a label. Jihoon took the initiative and moved their band practice to his garage where they played until the petite boy was satisfied -- that meant hours on end even on their non-practice days. He'd kept interactions with Mingyu to a minimum not because he wanted to but mainly because he was too tired after practice and ended up passing out the minute he reached home. The more they prepared for the show the more Jeonghan was convinced that he wanted to do it for the rest of his life. Being surrounded by friends and music alone was a good enough reason. Jeonghan's head shot up when he heard the garage door open, he smiled seeing Wonwoo walk in with his backpack on his shoulder and a laptop under his arm.

"You finished?" Wonwoo asked.

"Yeah, give me a sec," Jeonghan said as he slipped his bass back into its case.

"See you at soundcheck!" Jihoon waved an arm over his head as Jeonghan exited the garage.

"See you!" Jeonghan shouted back.

"You want to grab something to drink? I heard Joshua's parents opened up an American style cafe down the road," Wonwoo nodded in the direction they were walking.

"Johua Hong? The one who has a bible on him at all times?" Jeonghan asked.

"Yeah, that Joshua," Wonwoo nodded.

"I hope they sell holy water, I feel like I need it," Jeonghan quipped making Wonwoo chuckle.

"They might, you never know," Wonwoo was way too smiley.

"Something good happen with Soonyoung? You've had that stupid grin on your face since this morning," Jeonghan asked his friend with a curious look.

"We went out for dinner after the basketball game last week, he called me handsome," Wonwoo looked down his feet with the smile still gracing his face.

"And here I thought you and Soonyoung would forever be walking parallel lines, destined to never meet in the middle," Jeonghan gave Wonwoo a congratulatory pat on the back.

"Thanks for the optimism, really appreciate it," Wonwoo scoffed but no resentment was present in his voice.

"How about your little situation with Mingyu? You guys doing okay?"

"We reconciled," Jeonghan informed.

"So you two back to being a couple?" Wonwoo raised a brow.

"We're more like friends with benefits at the moment, our relationship reached a standstill a while ago," Jeonghan answered.

"Are you going to tell him you're planning on pursuing music with the band?" Wonwoo asked as he looked at the cafe's menu.

"Not yet," Jeonghan sighed.

"Afraid he'll think you're abandoning him?"

"Yeah," Jeonghan gave a simple nod.

"Tell me everything, you've listened to all my problems so its only fair that I do the same for you," Wonwoo put down the menu.

"I don't know if a long distance relationship is going to work. He's sixteen, he has two years left to just be a kid and enjoy himself you know? Don't you think its a waste of your youth to be constantly abstaining from things because you have to stay loyal to someone who isn't there half the time? What if he comes to realise that he wants to experiment? What if my feelings change once that distance sets in? What if I find someone else?"

"That's quite the dilemma, Yoon Jeonghan. Remember when I was the one with the problems? Oh how the tables have turned," Wonwoo gave Jeonghan a sympathetic look.

"Love , life , I ," Jeonghan rested his forehead on the table.

"You've always been quite the poet Yoon Jeonghan," Wonwoo said as he continued looking through the menu.

"Hey guys, what can I get you?" Joshua, their classmate, came over wearing a blue apron over his school uniform.

"I'll grab a long black and an iced Americano for Jeonghan over here," Wonwoo gave Jeonghan's head a ruffle.

"Sure, anything else?" Joshua jotted down their order.

"Some holy water and for the lord to answer my prayers," Jeonghan said with his head still on the table.

"He has issues," Wonwoo informed Joshua who politely nodded before walking off.

"I only have one issue and his name is Mingyu," Jeonghan mumbled.

"You can't put your dreams on hold Jeonghan, you've worked way too hard to let this opportunity slip away. Is Mingyu worth it? He's a good kid but again you can't choose him over your future."

"I have to choose one or the other but I lose no matter what I pick," Jeonghan held his face in his hands.

"Long black and iced Americano?" Joshua came back holding two takeout cups.

"Thanks man, god bless," Jeonghan said to the boy before getting up from his seat.

"I guess I'll catch you at school?" Wonwoo said as he sipped his coffee.

"Yeah, see you at school," Jeonghan said as he began heading in the opposite direction.

Jeonghan chewed on his straw as he walked, Wonwoo's words repeating over and over in his head. By the time he reached his house the straw was no longer in any condition to actually be used for its intended purpose. He went inside and sat down at the dining table, the table itself looked like something you would find in a show house considering no one ever used it. He rested his head on the cool surface of the table with his eyes closed, he wished he didn't have to think about the future but he was graduating and that meant the chapter of his life as a teenager was coming to a close. As much as he wanted to ignore reality he couldn't avoid it. Jeonghan let out a frustrated sigh trying to imagine how Mingyu would fit in the picture once Jeonghan transitioned out of high school but he just couldn't.

"Hyung, you home?" Mingyu's voice came from the front door.

"Come in, it's open!" Jeonghan called.

"Okay!"

Mingyu came walking in clad in sweats and the boy's face looked optimistic despite his injuries. He came to sit opposite Jeonghan at the dinner table. The younger boy looked curious as to why Jeonghan was sitting alone but he didn't pry. He simply sat and waited.

"Mingyu, have you thought about what will happen after I graduate?" Jeonghan asked not looking up.

"After you graduate? We talked about it last time in the library right? Weren't you just going to attend university like everyone els

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter