Impromptu Date

The Boy Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeonghan sat in a cafe with his iced Americano in one hand absentmindedly looking out the window. He was so distracted he didn't even notice when Wonwoo sat down in front of him. The sharp eyed friend of his had to snap his fingers multiple times in front of the bassist's face before he came back down to Earth.

"Oh hey," Jeonghan said, he sounded tired even to his own ears.

"Is there a reason why you're spacing out at eleven in the morning?" Wonwoo asked as he took a sip from his own iced coffee.

"I didn't sleep last night," Jeonghan admitted finishing off the rest of his coffee.

"Am I allowed to ask why you had a sleepless night?" Wonwoo looked curiously at his friend.

"Seungcheol kissed me last night," Jeonghan blurted.

"Come again?!" Wonwoo choked on his coffee.

"You heard me," Jeonghan banged his head against the table.

"Seungcheol? Our friend Seungcheol?" Wonwoo looked just about as shocked as Jeonghan was the night before.

"What does this mean? What about you and Mingyu?" Wonwoo adjusted his glasses.

"That's the thing, I am so ing happy with Mingyu. I'm trying to figure out the best way to tell Seungcheol but I just know he's going to get hurt no matter how I break it him," Jeonghan cradled his head in his hands.

"Did you piss off Cupid in a previous life? Because your love life is more complicated than a mathematics equation," Wonwoo slurped the remaining amount of coffee from his cup, the straw made gurgling noises once there was only ice left at the bottom.

"I have to go and tell him befofe he begins to think he has a chance. The guy's a good friend but boyfriend? I just can't see it happening you know?" Mainly because he was infatuated with a tall bronzed soccer player.

"Damn, you got yourself the classic case of a love triangle," Wonwoo shook his head, a smile pulling at his lips.

"Where's Soonyoung? Doesn't he usually drop by around this time for coffee too?" Jeonghan looked around the cafe.

"He said he had some plans with a friend today," Wonwoo informed.

"That's nice," Jeonghan said, he wished he had the luxury of hanging out without fear of people seeing him in public -- being famous meant it was almost impossible to have some privacy.

"You ready to head back to the company building?" Wonwoo got up from his seat.

"Yeah," Jeonghan sighed, he couldn't avoid seeing Seungcheol forever.

They walked the two blocks back to the Pledis building and Jeonghan made a beeline for the studio upstairs. He peeped through the small square window on the door catching sight of Seungcheol on a swivel chair, he was holding an acoustic guitar in his hands. Jeonghan hesitated for a minute before he mustered up the courage to open the door. Seungcheol's eyes looked up at him and Jeonghan's mouth suddenly felt dry.

"Hey," Jeonghan managed to say.

"Hey," Seungcheol said in return, he set down his guitar.

"You free right now?" Jeonghan asked with hands in his pockets.

"I guess," the guitarist shrugged.

"You hungry?"

"I could eat," Seungcheol nodded.

"I know a place," Jeonghan nodded towards the door.

"Okay, let me grab my jacket and we'll go," Seungcheol nodded, the air around them was thick.

"Great," Jeonghan said before he went downstairs to wait for the guitarist.

As he waited at the foot of the staircase he could feel a sense of uneasiness fall over him, he didn't know how Seungcheol was going to react and he was very much dreading the outcome. Jeonghan was so worked up that he wasn't even in the mood to eat any more, he didn't know if he could stomach it at all.
__________________________________________________________________

"Okay! Okay! They're out! They're out!" Soonyoung tapped Mingyu's shoulder as they stuck their heads out from behind a nearby food stall.

"Go, go, go!" Mingyu hissed as they slowly began trailing after Jeonghan and Seungcheol.

"I'm telling you, just follow my lead and we won't get caught. We'll be silent, invisible like samurai," Soonyoung said.

"You mean ninjas?" Mingyu corrected as they pressed themselves flat behind a wall.

"What's the difference?" Soonyoung looked over at Mingyu, the dancer looked genuinely confused.

"Forget about that, just focus on the task at hand," Mingyu smacked Soonyoung in the back of the head.

"In the unlikeky chance that we get caught we'll have to pull a Naruto," Soonyoung said to the soccer player.

"Pull a Naruto? What language are you speaking?" Mingyu squatted behind a sandwich board in front of a cafe.

"We're going to make a run for it," Soonyoung explained.

"You could've just said that instead of 'pulling a Naruto'," Mingyu griped.

"Hey man, I'm just trying to help you out here," Soonyoung said as they continued to follow the two musicians.

Mingyu and Soonyoung had kept in touch after their four person barbecue dinner and the two seemed to get along rather well -- their personalities were scarily similar. When he'd called Soonyoung regarding his problem with Seungcheol liking Jeonghan, the dancer was all too eager to lend an ear. They'd scrapped their plans for lunch the minute Wonwoo had messaged Soonyoung informing him that Jeonghan was going to go talk to Seungcheol -- Mingyu had read the message over Soonyoung's shoulder by accident. His jealousy was triggered, sure he trusted his hyung but he didn't trust Seungcheol.

"Come on, come on! They're going inside a restaurant!" Soonyoung waved at the soccer player.

"I'm beginning to think snooping is not worth the trouble," Mingyu said as he followed the dancer.

Mingyu quickly scurried behind Soonyoung as they entered the restaurant and slid into a booth just behind Jeonghan and his older brother. Mingyu pulled his cap further over his face keeping a low profile. Luckily for them they were in the trendy kind of restaurant where you ordered off a screen so they didn't have to worry about making noise -- ing bless technology. He listened intently on the conversation in the neighbouring booth all the while trying to keep Soonyoung from opening his mouth -- his companion was anything but quiet.

"Look, I am really flattered that you have feelings for me but-"

"Stop right there Jeonghan, nothing ever good comes after that kind of sentence," Seungcheol put up a hand.

"Mingyu and I started this relationship when we were back in high school Seungcheol," Jeonghan suddenly blurted.

"Oh ," Mingyu squirmed in his seat, his hyung was going there.

"It started that early on, huh," Seungcheol set down his glass of water.

"It was short lived, we broke up after I decided to pursue music with you and our band. But I can safely say the little bit of happiness I had with Mingyu left a deep impression on me, I couldn't get him out of my mind. I shut myself off emotionally after we parted ways."

"And you were miserable," Seungcheol acknowledged.

"You remember what I was like right?" Jeonghan asked.

"You only cared about our music," Seungcheol nodded.

"Do you know why? Because I was trying to convince myself that I'd made the right choice. I tried so hard to tell myself that what Mingyu and I had was just an innocent fling but...it just wasn't. He made me so happy," Jeonghan smiled down at the table.

"But you broke up, you didn't speak a word to each other in four years," Seungcheol countered.

"Because we were busy living our lives Seungcheol, I had SVT and Mingyu had soccer. Do you know what the amazing thing was?" Jeonghan clasped his hands together on the table.

"What?" Seungcheol asked.

"I still love him as much as I did four years ago. Even after all that time he and I left off like nothing ever happened. It was so easy," Jeonghan smiled sadly at the guitarist.

"Huh," Seungcheol looked down at his lap, his long eyelashes hiding the disheartened look in his eyes.

"That's my man," Mingyu whispered at Soonyoung.

"Shush," Soonyoung said, he was as invested as Mingyu was.

"You really don't have any room left for someone else in your heart, do you?" Seungcheol looked up at the bassist.

"I'm sorry Seungcheol," Jeonghan gave his friend an apologetic look.

"I guess I just have to live with the fact that I'll always be second to Mingyu," Seungcheol scoffed.

"Seungcheol, don't you dare twist me words," Jeonghan furrowed his brows.

"I'll see you around Jeonghan," Seungcheol got out of the booth without a second look back.

"Seungcheol!" Jeonghan called.

Jeonghan gulped down the remaining water in his glass before cradling his face in his hands. He didn't know what was going to become of their relationship now, do they just go back to being friends? Were they just band mates or were they just purely in a business level relationship? Jeonghan just didn't know.

"You guys can come out now," Jeonghan turned his head around.

"Hi hyung," Mingyu smiled sheepishly.

"It was all Mingyu's idea, I had nothing to do with it," Soonyoung said.

"You're a good friend, Soonyoung," Mingyu deadpanned at the dancer.

"Well you two have fun, I have to go," Soonyoung said as he slipped out from his seat, he did not at all sound guilty.

"Oh that's fine, it's not like you came up with this idea or anything," Mingyu watched as Soonyoung scampered off.

"Mingyu, come here," Jeonghan looked over at the athlete.

"Okay," Mingyu went over to sit in the spot opposite his hyung.

"Is this your new way of keeping tabs on me?" Jeonghan asked cocking his head at his dongsaeng.

"Are you mad?" Mingyu couldn't meet Jeonghan's gaze.

"I saw you when I exited the Pledis building, bright blue really isn't a colour you want to wear when you're tying to be incognito," Jeonghan reached out to touch the boy's face.

"So you're not mad?" Mingyu looked hopeful.

"Oh I am but I'm willing to look past it since you're only doing it because you care," Jeonghan's face lit into a smile, the boy in front of him making him forget all the bad in the world.

"You still love me as much as you did back then?" Mingyu continued to push.

"You really like the idea of me swooning over you, don't you?" Jeonghan touched Mingyu's finge

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter