Push and Pull

The Boy Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeonghan was frustrated, it had been a week since he'd been admitted into the hospital and already he was bored out of his mind -- being bedbound . The doctors had told him that he'd been lucky that Taehwan was inexperienced with a weapon and didn't hit any vital organs. Jeonghan had burst into laughter when the doctor called him lucky, if he was lucky he wouldn't have been stabbed. Mingyu had cried his eyes out in the waiting room so by the time Jeonghan was allowed visitors his lover's face was a mess. Jeonghan personally thought his lover needed more attention than he himself did.

Jeonghan had explained to his lover that he'd passed out because he was anemic and not because he was dying. That didn't stop Mingyu from crying. In all honesty Jeonghan was more worried about whether his face was okay, nothing mattered as long as his face wasn't messed up -- that was his pride and joy.

"Hyung! You got stabbed and you're worried about your face?" Mingyu had given him a dumbfounded look.

"Yes," Jeonghan had answered, he had no shame in admitting it.

"," Mingyu had managed a smile despite tears still running down his face.

"You should know my character by now," Jeonghan had joked despite the sharp pain in his hip.

Seungcheol and Mrs. Choi had come to see him as well since he had her recorded as one of his emergency contacts. As expected the woman reacted the same way her son did, she was a crying mess. After the first few visitors Jeonghan was over people treating him like he already died, it was ed. He rolled his eyes every time someone came in and made a huge fuss despite him only receiving a minor cut on the arm and a few stitches hear his hip.

"A news outlet just described your situation as 'fighting for his life in hospital'," Seungkwan showed him an online article written with so much bravado it could have been an instalment of a television drama.

"I'm not dying!" Jeonghan shouted in frustration and immediately convulsed in pain -- he'd tugged at his stitches.

"Has Mingyu visited you at all?" Seungkwan asked as he looked over at the vase of lilacs by Jeonghan's bed.

"No," Jeonghan sighed, not seeing Mingyu .

"Do you think he's blaming himself for what happened?" Seungkwan cocked his head.

"He probably is and he'll probably continue to blame himself, that's just who he is. The person he's hardest on is always himself," Jeonghan sighed.

"Did you see the news report yesterday? They searched Taehwan's house and found a bunch of SVT merchandise and albums in his room. The dude had photocards, posters and a bunch of he stole from your house. It was some creepy , hyung," Seungkwan shivered.

"I really don't want to think about that -face right now," Jeonghan bit at his lower lip.

"Looks can be deceiving," Seungkwan said thinking of the clean-cut image Lee Taehwan wore as a guise.

"And here I just thought he was just some rich boy who was never told 'no,'" Jeonghan shook his head.

"You couldn't have predicted that he was bat crazy, hyung," Seungkwan comforted the bassist.

"I know but it still how things turned out," Jeonghan closed his eyes, his head began to throb -- the painkillers were wearing off.

"I should be heading off, I'll let you rest. We need you to heal up so we can start on the new album," Seungkwan walked over giving Jeonghan's shoulder a pat.

"Always putting music first, aren't we?" Jeonghan smiled.

"Of course," Seungkwan nodded and waved as he left Jeonghan alone in his hospital room.

Jeonghan shifted his position in an attempt to get comfortable only it was impossible as the stitches tugged no matter how he sat or laid. In the end Jeonghan gave up and stayed sitting up. He was about to call for assistance when he saw a tall figure just outside by the door. Judging by the broad back and dark hair it could've only been Mingyu.

"How long are you going to stay there Mingyu?" Jeonghan asked, the tall figure flinched.

Mingyu walked in carrying an array of bags and flower bouquets, he dumped the mass of items on the floor before walking awkwardly over to Jeonghan's bedside. The boy's face a mask of neutrality, Jeonghan couldn't read him at all -- that was rare, his lover wore his heart on his sleeve.

"The nurses told me to bring these to you, they're from your fans," Mingyu said eyeing the presents with disdain.

"Thanks," Jeonghan eyed the various 'get well soon' cards and notes attached to the gift bags and bouquets.

"How're you feeling?" Mingyu asked his hyung.

"As good as someone with a stab wound could possibly be," Jeonghan said with weak smile.

"I'm sorry," Mingyu's hands turned into fists at his sides.

"Mingyu, we've gone over this. It's not your fault," Jeonghan frowned.

"But it is! Instead of protecting you I froze and let him hurt you," Mingyu trembled.

"I don't want to hear another a word about this, it happened and yes it but we're both alive and kicking. Stop making this so complicated!" Jeonghan felt his own anger beginning to surface.

"Hyung! This is just one instance of a crazy fan! What if next time you aren't as lucky! I guarantee you Taehwan isn't the only crazy obsessed fan, I just know there will be others!" Mingyu's voice boomed.

"How are you so sure there will be a next time? You can't expect me to live my life in constant paranoia because of this one incident," Jeonghan argued.

"Is it wrong of me to worry about your well being? I'm your boyfriend, I have every right to be angry when you think so lowly of your own safety," Mingyu paced back and forth.

"Mingyu, I'm more than capable of protecting myself. I'm not some damsel in distress who needs to be constantly monitored and saved," did Mingyu think he was that delicate?

"I'm not comparing you to a damsel in distress! Don't twist my words!" Mingyu shot his hyung a look.

"Then what are you trying to say?" Jeonghan fisted his blanket in his hands.

"I just think...I just think things would be easier if you weren't in the public eye. Maybe take a break from being a musician," Mingyu looked away.

"So this is what it's about, it all boils down to you hating me being a public figure," Jeonghan was livid.

"Can you blame me? Do you know how much it hurt when the police asked for my relation to you and I had to call you a friend?! Also, do you know how much it hurt to have to avoid visiting you just so I didn't raise any suspicions about our relationship?! I was worried sick!"

"You think you're the only one who feels that way? I've done my fair share of snooping and waiting as well Mingyu, it goes both ways. You may think you're the one getting the short end of the stick but just remember that I wasn't the one who ran away every time we got into an argument. Need I remind you that I have forgiven you for every ty thing you've done so far, Kim Mingyu."

"You sure know how to manipulate a situation, hyung," Mingyu scoffed.

"I'm just stating facts," Jeonghan's tone was curt.

"You know what? You're right, I shouldn't be worrying about you. You obviously know better than I do, you're Yoon Jeonghan who can do no wrong. I dare say you don't even need me in your life anymore. You probably don't need an immature dongsaeng like me holding you down," Mingyu stomped toward the door.

"Just go," Jeonghan shook his head.

"We're polar opposites, it was bound to cause tension, right hyung?" Mingyu said over his shoulder.

Jeonghan didn't answer.

"If only you'd never chosen to be a musician," Mingyu turned away.

"I think you've managed to find something I can't forgive," Jeonghan said.

"Guess I used up my last chance," Mingyu's posture was rigid.

"We can finally stop hurting each other," Jeonghan's words were monotone.

"Goodbye, hyung. Get well soon," Mingyu hesitated for a split second hearing his hyung's words but continued walking away.

Jeonghan clutched his blanke

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter