Seungcheol's Younger Brother

The Boy Next Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoon Jeonghan always thought he'd had it easy in life, he had a stress free childhood, his parents were happily married and now at the age of eighteen his high school life was very much just as normal as you could possibly get. He played sports with his friends, did his homework and practiced with his band three times a week. Jeonghan's life was just like him, hassle free, free of drama and that's just how he liked it.

"Aye! Yoon Jeonghan!" Choi Seungcheol shattered his peace -- that camel-looking bastard.

Seungcheol was the guitarist in their band and he was loud, very loud. If the guy wasn't strumming his guitar he'd be drumming on anything that had a flat surface. It drove Jeonghan insane but of course he didn't say anything because Mr. Choi Seungcheol was quite sensitive despite his macho man facade. If it weren't for their mothers being close friends Jeonghan would have never crossed paths with the rambunctious boy.

The two walked together through the school grounds with their instruments in tow and Jeonghan lowkey wanted to die. As much as he loved his bass guitar the bloody thing weighed a hefty amount and the fact that he had zero stamina didn't help his situation. Seungcheol's words of encouragement also just added to his annoyance as they walked.

"Come on, quicken your pace and feel the breeze mother nature has kindly offered," Seungcheol draped an arm over Jeonghan's shoulders.

"Mother nature can my toe," Jeonghan shrugged off the added weight of Seungcheol's arm.

They walked through the crowds of other students making their way home trying their best not to hit anyone with their instruments. Though in all honesty Jeonghan worried more about damaging his bass than the wellbeing of his fellow schoolmates. He'd broken his bass before in a tragic accident involving a bunch of freshmen and he'd been cautious ever since. Jeonghan cursed under his breath forgetting that they had to pass the sports oval in order to exit through the back gate -- the sports clubs were practicing, that meant the possibility of getting hit by a flying object multiplied.

"There he is, mom's favorite son," Jeonghan heard the annoyance in Seungcheol's voice.

Jeonghan followed Seungcheol's gaze over to the soccer field where a tall boy stood talking to one of the PE teachers. He was wearing their school's soccer uniform and he was handsome, very handsome. The boy sported a stylish cut and his bronzed skin indicated he spent a lot more time outdoors than Mr. Vampire-Seungcheol who got sunburnt the minute he arrived at the beach.

"Ah, your younger brother," Jeonghan said as he craned his neck to see the tall boy better.

Seungcheol had been complaining ever since his younger brother decided to move back in with him and his mother. Seungcheol's parents had gotten divorced when he was young and so his younger brother was under his father's custody. Now with his father getting remarried, his younger brother, Mingyu, decided to give the newlyweds their alone time. Seungcheol however hated the new addition to his household. Apparently his over achieving younger brother made his mother a lot more critical of him and his academic performance.

"I don't understand, what's so bad about him?" Jeonghan had yet to hear a proper reason for Seungcheol's dislike toward his brother.

"He's always making me look bad, the punk just loves up to mom. He kisses up to her every chance he gets, what a joke," Seungcheol kicked the dirt at his feet.

"To be fair, you could put in some effort and snag something more than a passing grade now and again," Jeonghan said as they started walking again.

"That's easy for you to say, you still manage to get good grades even though you sleep through almost everything," Seungcheol slapped him on the shoulder.

"I'm quite amazing, aren't I?" Jeonghan shamelessly praised himself.

" you," Seungcheol said as he quickened his pace.

"Friendship is such a beautiful thing," Jeonghan teasingly said as he trailed after Seungcheol.

They walked to the bus stop taking the fifteen minute ride back to Seungcheol's house. Jeonghan groaned at the sight of the hill in front of them like he always did as they began climbing up the slope. They lived right next door to each other and everyday Jeonghan would curse his parents for choosing to move into a house that was at the top of a bloody hill. They walked slowly mainly because Jeonghan had zero stamina and also because their instruments weren't exactly ideal items to be carrying for an uphill trek.

"Think of this as mother nature's gym, we can get a whole leg workout getting home," Seungcheol exclaimed as he did lunges with every step.

"Mother nature is a ," Jeonghan struggled with every breath, he hated that .

Finally making it into the house he took his shoes off by the door and immediately headed for the kitchen where Seungcheol's mother stood in a pink apron. Her short brown hair was held back by a simple headband while her small hands busied themselves getting food prepared. The woman's face lit up when she noticed Jeonghan standing in the doorway.

"Jeonghan! It's good to see you sweetheart! How have you been?" Jeonghan was pulled into a tight embrace by Seungchol's mom.

"I'm great, I heard Mingyu's back," Jeonghan smiled down at the woman who he loved just as much as his own mother.

"Oh, yes! He's gotten so big, the last time you saw him was back when you and Seungcheol were still in middle school," Seungcheol's mother nodded.

"We'll be up in my room," Seungcheol shouted as he ushered his friend up the stairs.

"I'll call you down when the food is ready! Make sure to get Jeonghan a drink Choi Seungcheol!" She scolded her son.

"I know!" Seungcheol shouted back at his mother.

"Thank you for the hospitality Mrs. Choi!" Jeonghan said as they went.

"Okay, so Jihoon said he's free to practice tomorrow after school. He bought new drumsticks too so I think he'll be in a good enough mood to practice for more than an hour," Seungcheol said as they went into his room.

"New drumsticks again? What happened to his other ones?" Jeonghan asked.

"One of the basketball players on the school team talked about his height so Jihoon tried to skewer him with his drumsticks," Seungcheol answered.

"That sounds like Jihoon," Jeonghan acknowledged, not even surprised by the news.

"The scary thing is the principal didn't even give Jihoon a punishment for what he did," Seungcheol shook his head, a dumb smile playing on his lips.

"Would you want to piss off Satan?" Jeonghan raised a brow thinking of Jihoon.

"Remember when he stepped on my foot in primary school and told me to apologise?" Seungcheol asked.

"How could I forget? You ended up crying for half an hour," Jeonghan smiled.

They sat together on the floor practising on their guitars and looking over the music as well as the lyrics. Jihoon had thrown two copies down on their desks during first period and had told them to familiarize themselves with it before their next practice -- the guy didn't play around when it came to music. Jeonghan was determined to get Seungcheol to practice because the last time he'd forgotten the chords Jihoon had beaten Seungcheol with his own guitar. That was a memory he refused to relive.

"Where did Seungkwan say he was going today?" Seungcheol asked about their lead vocalist.

"He's out with the new kid Vernon from the United States, Seungkwan's convinced he's fluent after acing his English exam last week," Jeonghan answered with a yawn.

"Mom, I'm home!" A loud voice shouted from downstairs.

"Great, the golden child is home," Seungcheol rolled his eyes.

"I'm going to go say hi," Jeonghan stood from his spot on the floor.

"What?" Seungchol's betrayed expression watched him as he left the room.

Jeonghan ran a hand through his short blond locks walking down the stairs. He peeked his head into the kitchen where a tall boy stood beside Seungcheol's mother helping her chop up kimchi for the stew she was preparing. Jeonghan's presence didn't go unnoticed as Seungcheol's mother waved him over. Mingyu who was still cutting kimchi looked over his shoulder once meeting eyes with Jeonghan before looking back down at the cutting board.

"Mingyu, aren't you going to say hi to Jeonghan?" His mother smacked him softly on the shoulder.

"Um, hi Jeonghan-hyung," Mingyu said over his shoulder before he once again focused on the task in front of him.

"Why are you being so aloof? You used to be so close," his mother asked looking at her son.

"Mom," Mingyu whined, from where he stood Jeonghan could see the redness on the boy's cheeks even under his bronzed complexion.

"No, it's okay. It's been a long time, we haven't spoken in awhile so it's only natural that we're a little awkward around each other," Jeonghan said, he wasn't offended.

"That's true, the last time you saw Mingyu was when he was still shorter than you," Mrs. Choi acknowledged.

"He was really cute back then but it's nice to know he's grown to be so handsome," Jeonghan sat on one of the stools opposite the kitchen counter.

"He's actually quite the chef, just wait till your taste his kimchi stew," Mrs. Choi shamessly praised her son.

Mingyu who was busying himself with other tasks around the kitchen was looking in every direction but at Jeonghan. Jeonghan in return kept his eyes on Mingyu watching the tall boy waddle around like a lost puppy as he helped his mother make dinner -- he thought the younger boy's shyness was rather endearing. Mingyu's childhood habit of trailing his mother was still very much intact. Jeonghan felt his expression soften thinking about how Mingyu used to follow him and Seungcheol the very same way when they were younger -- Je

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter