chapter eight

fighting / meanie

08: mingyu misses home

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

mingyu stayed awake the whole night, unable to fall asleep. in the bed next to him was seungkwan, and planted on the floor was hansol. the two had swapped with wonwoo, much to the other member's confusion, and were now bunking with him. 

 

mingyu was now sitting up in his bed, he was confused, tired and homesick. he wanted to wake up and find himself in his bed back in his house, and hear his mother telling him to wake up ㅡ the constant sleepless nights, schedule filled days, fansigns; it was taking its toll on him. 

 

he woke up with bags under his eyes, and his makeup coordi was always reminding him to get more sleep as makeup couldn't cover everything ㅡ what he really wanted was to be granted a week, at least, off but with an upcoming comeback it didn't look like he was going to be home any time soon. 

 

he let out a little scream, as his phone started ringing, and quickly picked it up. not wanting to wake hansol or seungkwan, he walked to the practice room ㅡ he would find silence there. 

 

"hello?" he heard his sister's voice. "mingyu, it's you right?" 

 

his heart did a double take, he couldn't put it into words how much he had missed his best friend ㅡ his sister. he remembered days spent with her playing pranks on everyone, watching stupid programmes, and scaring each other to death with horror stories. 

 

"why are you awake at a time like this?" he asked, glancing up at the clock ㅡ hoping he could hide the excitement in his voice. 

 

"why are you pretending you aren't excited to be talking to me?" his sister laughed, causing him to snort. "i could ask you the same question." 

 

"i'm an idol, practice into the night is common." he sighed, it really was. "don't you have school tomorrow?" 

 

"yeah, but i have to finish this essay for one of my classes." he could hear the annoyance in her voice, she had never enjoyed all the work set oyt at school. "it's so boring here." 

 

"school or at home?" mingyu tilted his head to the side, already knowing the answer. 

 

"both." he pictured her rolling her eyes. "at school everyone is worrying about their exams, and at home there's nobody to mess around with or watch running man! with." 

 

"what about the kids next door? or you could ask our cousins?" mingyu suggested helpfully, but he knew it wouldn't be the same. 

 

"they only talk to me when they want something." mingyu wasn't sure if she wasn't if she meant their cousins or their neighbours. "by something i mean an autograph, or an album from you." 

 

he sighed, "what about our parents? are they doing well?" 

 

mingyu missed the way his mother pulled on his cheeks, and told him to eat up. he missed how his father always bought him a lollipop from work and how every sunday he'd help out at his shop ㅡ mingyu missed both of his parents so ing much. 

 

"they're good, mum's been promoted and dad is opening another chain." his sister commented and mingyu could hear the tiredness in her voice. 

 

he convinced her to finish the essay at school and get some well needed sleep before ending the call and standing up. the call had slightly improved his mood but now he was more tired then ever, and easily found himself falling asleep and wishing he could sleep forever.