chapter 8

New Start, Old Beginnings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She woke up briefly, still sore, still dazed but without a headache.  It was still dark, behind her eyelids, she could tell it was still some time in the middle of the night.  She was so comfortable she didn't want to open her eyes, she was warm, and then she realised, there was a body next to her.  Their arm was wrapped tightly around her, and she could feel the gentle way their chest was rising and falling in time with their breathing. 

She knew instantly it was Chanyeol and, yet, she felt comfortable with him, without wondering why he was still here, why his arm was around her, why he was sleeping, peacefully she fell back asleep. 

Sometime later, the light from the morning was filtering through her eyelids waking her completely.  She laid still for a while, processing what had happened through the night.   She had been so groggy from pain and medicine, but now she was clear and attempting to recall the details.  She remembered falling, waking up in pain, Chanyeol being here and feeding her, but she remembered nothing much after that. 

Straining hard to grasp the details of the night she could hear voices.  At first, she thought the TV was on, then she realised she had not put the tv on at all.

'Why are you here?' She heard the deep voice of Chanyeol ask incredulously.

'Jongdae told me what happened, so I came to check she was ok, have you been here all night?' She heard the voice of Junmyeon reply in the same tone.

'Yeah, I fell asleep on the sofa by accident.' Chanyeol replied skittishly.  That wasn't what happened, the lie irked her, she remembered him sleeping next to her.  Why did he fall asleep next to her exactly? Why was he lying about it?

'How do you even know her?' Chanyeol asked moodily.

'I met her last week, she ran right into me in the lobby,' she heard Junmyeons voice drop and get ever so slightly impatient.  'We were going to go on a date, as soon as I got back,' she heard him gripe.

'Oh,' she heard the deep astonishment in Chanyeol's voice.  'Oh,' he said again, evidently lost for words.  She cringed listening to their interaction, but why was Chanyeol so bothered, he always came across as not liking her anyway, but then again, why did he stay all night to look after her?

'How do you know her?' Junmyeon asked with the same accusing tone. 

'Oh, she tried out for my video, the director liked her, so she got the job and then Baekhyun told me she lived here,' Chanyeol lied easily.

Why was he lying to him?

'Oh really? She'll be in the video?' Junmyeon sounded amazed.

'Yeah, Hae-soo loved her,' Chanyeol replied emotionless. 

'Ok, well you did the right thing bringing her home and looking after her, she needed someone to stay with her,' Junmyeon responded either ignoring Chanyeol or just deciding not to comment further.

'So, she's so still asleep?' Junmyeon questioned.

'Yeah, I had to move her off the sofa, the doctor said the tablets could knock her out for a while.' She heard him mumble back. 

'Ok, thanks, Chanyeol, you can go home now, I'm here now,' he seemed to say with a bit of a hard edge.

'Yeah, sure, I'm tired anyway,' Chanyeol was inarticulate again.  She heard the door open and close, and footsteps come close to the bedroom.  There was a light knock on the door, so light, she presumed he thought she would still be asleep. 

'Come in,' she uttered as loudly as she could.  She was on her side facing the door, as Junmyeon opened the door carefully and popped his head in.

'Hey you're awake,' he whispered.  He wore a concerned smile on his face, his black hair was pushed up over his forehead, and he was wearing a comfortable looking jumper and jeans. 

Damn, she forgot how y he looked as she returned his smile from under the covers in the bed. 

'Yeah,' she moaned a little feeling the pain in her back spasm a little, as she tried to move.

'Oh, don't move too much,' he took two strides over to the bed and pushed her gently back down, rubbing her shoulder he settled himself on the side of the bed. 

'How come you're here?' She asked him, looking up at him nervously, she had no idea what her face must look like after being asleep all night.

He smiled down at her.  'Don't you remember?' He asked his eyes twinkling, 

She half shook her head, but that was a bad plan, she whined at the pain in her neck. 

'Here,' he began rubbing circles around her neck, 'I've only just got back from Japan, Jongdae told me you fell, so I came straight here.  Him, Chanyeol and Minseok saw you fall yesterday afternoon, you seemed to pass out.  I guess they have seen you around here too, and they brought you back here, Chanyeol stayed with you and got a doctor to come and see you while you were asleep.' He told her the same story Chanyeol had explained to her last night.  It was starting to come back to her now bit by bit.

'I remember Chanyeol being here,' she whispered, she felt like her voice had left her it bugged her why he didn't mention her being in Chanyeol’s video after she had just heard him tell Junmyeon.

'Yeah, he fell asleep outside, but at least he was here to make sure you were ok.' Junmyeon mumbled, he seemed to be trying to be happy Chanyeol was here, but there was definitely an edge to his voice.

She definitely remembered Chanyeol in the bed next to her, with his arm tightly around her, though she thought it was best to not mention that to Junmyeon right now.

'I guess I'm lucky I have caring neighbors,' she said looking up at him. 

He smiled down at her, then his smile seemed to falter, 'I'm sorry I never called, I had to go to Japan last minute and forgot my phone with your number in.  But you got my message from Kyungsoo right?' He asked with a worried look in his eyes.

'Kyungsoo, yes, he came, and he told me.' He brought her out of thinking about Chanyeol.

Junmyeon seemed to breathe out happily.  'Good, I'm sorry I wasn't here to help you beautiful,' he cooed with his eyes back to their twinkling selves. 

'That's ok,' she whispered back, feeling slightly awkward.

'Does it hurt a lot?' He asked her back to being concerned. 

'Not as much as it did.' She sighed, she tried to sit up, her backbone gave her a sharp pain up her spine, causing her to scream out, and fall backwards.  He caught her easily, his huge arms wrapping around her, his heat warming her.

‘Ok, so you’re staying in bed today.’ He chuckled looking down at her with a small smile.

Panting at her pain, she looked up at him with sad eyes.  She didn’t really want to stay in bed all day. 

‘Hey, what’s up with the sad face lovely?’ he cooed, he still had her in his embrace and didn’t seem to want to let her go.

‘I, uh, I hate staying in bed all day.’ She moaned, feeling useless and in pain seemed to make her over emotional, and before she knew it tears were rolling down her cheeks.

‘Hey, hey, don’t cry, there’s nothing to cry about.’ He fussed, tightening his grip on her. ‘I’m free all day, I can look after you, don’t cry, you’re too beautiful

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter