Chapter 6

New Start, Old Beginnings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She didn’t move.  She stood there dumbly staring at him in horror. 

‘I said get in.  It’s cold out.’ He demanded turning his face to look out the opposite window. 

Unwillingly she stepped into the car and closed the door.  The air in the car seemed to disappear and it was becoming very difficult to breathe. 

Chanyeol said something in Korean to Jungmin and the car started moving forward. 

‘Put your seat belt on.’ He said without looking at her. 

She turned her head in his direction, what was he doing here?  Why was he in her car?  With her driver?  Giving him demands.

In a huff, she put her seat belt on with shaky hands.  She was becoming livid.  How dare he.  Who did he think he was?  Oh, you’re from EXO so that makes you the king to do whatever you want.  Hijacking someone’s driver for instance. 

Under any other circumstance, she would have refused point blank to do what he was demanding, but she knew he was right about the seat belt, and Jungmin was her only form of transport, though she could have just slammed the door and walked.  She’d have found a way home. 

She crossed her legs and her arms angrily.  There was nothing she could do now, and he knew it. 

He scoffed at her, loudly, triggering her anger for him to skyrocket. 

‘Is that how you are all the time?  Legs and arms folded and irritated?’ he questioned in a ridiculing tone. 

She refused to look at him and refused to answer his ridiculous question.

‘Do you think you’re some kind of king hijacking someone else’s driver?’ she spat at him, staring out the window.

He chuckled to himself in a disdainful sort of way.  She clicked her tongue impatiently at him.  He wasn’t answering her either.  But she refused to talk again. 

They drove in silence all the way back to the apartment building.  She assumed on the short drive he must live in the building, and he knew she did too, so for some sick reason he wanted to impose himself on her. 

Pulling into the basement Jungmin gently parked the car in an empty bay. 

‘Thank you so much Jungmin, and I am sorry you had to wait so long.’ She told him in a much kinder tone than she was feeling. 

‘That’s quite alright Miss Alex, any time you need me.’ He said with a big smile. 

Chanyeol said something to him in Korean, and Jungmin responded very happily.  Whatever it was she was hoping he was apologising for being rude and thanking him. 

She didn’t wait for Chanyeol as she stepped out of the car and marched as swiftly as she could to the elevator.  She really didn’t want to be stuck in a small room with Chanyeol, even for the 3 minutes it took in an elevator to get to her floor.  She heard the door of the car close, telling her he was not far behind her but still, she didn’t wait.  Pressing the button furiously she tapped her foot waiting for the doors to open. 

Thankfully they did before Chanyeol got close to her.  Unfortunately, he was so tall it took him 3 seconds to make the distance to the elevator and was able to step inside with her before the doors had a chance to close. 

‘You were not going to wait for me?  How rude.’ He said coolly.  There was no hint of a smile behind his words, no humor. 

She refused to look up at him, refused to even acknowledge him.  She folded her arms, stared at the floor and waited to be released from this tiny room of hell. 

‘You should at least respond to me, we will be working together soon enough.’ He continued. 

Her blood was boiling, was she supposed to be thanking him?  She didn’t need the job, she tried it for fun and it happened she got it. 

‘If you didn’t want to work with me, you should have made it clear to your bosses.’ Was the first thing she could think of to come back at him with.  She knew as soon as she said it, it was not at all clever.

He didn’t respond, but he did snicker.  The same contemptuous laugh he had used in the car.  She clicked her tongue at him.  She hoped he knew she hated him.  What was wrong with this guy?  First, he smiled at her, then every time she had seen him since, he had been hostile and unfriendly. 

She wasn’t in the mood for mind games.  Hot celebrity or not, she was better than that, and if he didn’t like her he could just go and himself. 

She watched the numbers going up, unbelievably slowly as they ascended each floor.  He moved to stand right in front of her.  She could see his shoes turning to face her. 

‘I told my bosses you were the one.’ He said, in the same calm tone as before, but it was much lower, his deep voice seemed to resonate all the way through her.

His words completely baffled her.  What?  Why would he do that when he clearly hated her.  Involuntarily her eyes drew up to meet his, but she had no come back, no words, only shock on her face. 

His big puppy eyes bore into hers, he didn’t look angry, but he didn’t look friendly either.  What was he doing?

He smiled, so sweetly, it threw her completely.  What was he doing? She scowled at him, and he chuckled again.  The elevator came to a stop and she didn’t wait for him to get out first.  She brushed past him and made to turn towards her apartment before he caught her arm and pulled her backward. 

‘Don’t touch me.’ She gulped pulling herself free of him.  She couldn’t be bothered with this. 

‘Don’t test me.’ He threatened.  His tone was strong.  But she didn’t understand what he meant, what he wanted. 

She took long deliberate strides the short walk to her apartment door, not looking back, and slammed the door shut. 

‘AAARRGGGHHH’ She screamed into the darkness. 

He was annoying, that much was for sure, and she had no idea what he was doing blowing hot and cold when they had never even had an honest to god conversation but what bothered her the most was that he was bugging her so much. 

He was bugging her a lot more than Junmyeon, who had actually been kind to her, kissed her, and then not called.  She should be obsessing over him, so why was pain in the Chanyeol all she could think about. 

She decided the only person who could stand her right now was Ella, so after making a coffee to calm herself, she dragged her computer onto the sofa, curled up and called her sister.

‘Hey,’ Ella answered.

‘Are you busy?’ Alex asked her.

‘A little, I’ve got some work on but I’m fine.  What’s up.’

‘You are not going to believe my day…’ Alex began.  She talked to her sister at least once a day, if not by video call then by messages.  She told her all about meeting Hae-soo and getting the job, what the job was, and how weird Chanyeol had been. 

‘So, I literally stormed off down the hall and slammed the door.’ She finished. 

Ella had been quiet the whole time, letting her sister finish her story. She whistled out long and hard before she answered. 

‘Wow, who knew Chanyeol was a nutcase.’ She said finally.

‘I know right!  It’s not just me that thinks he’s acting utterly strange?’ Alex answered.

‘No, it’s definitely weird.  And Suho never even messaged you?’ She asked.

‘No, but I mean, why would he?  It was a line, of course.  Doesn’t matter.  I really can’t be bothered dating anyway.  Suho or Chanyeol’s mind games.’ Alex moaned.

‘Yeah, but Al, it’s been a year.’ Ella began.

‘I don’t care.  Anyway, you can tal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter