Chapter 26

New Start, Old Beginnings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Alex woke up to the sound of a guitar playing far away, or it sounded far away.  The more she woke up the closer the music became, someone was singing softly, the most beautiful song she had ever heard.

Opening her eyes slowly she was still in the tent, it was still night, the sky still a velvet black.  She turned to the source of the music, Chanyeol had moved a little, still sitting cross-legged, his eyes were closed as he strummed the guitar in his hands and sang very very quietly. 

She watched him for a while.  She didn’t want to disturb the beautiful music or his intense focus.  He looked so, passionate so natural, just doing what he loved to do.  It reminded her of Sam, in her book.  He was a farmer’s boy, who loved to play music, he had a beautiful voice too, entertaining the people of his village with his talent.

She watched him finish the song, his eyes flicking up and finding hers, automatically, she smiled, his face relaxed, he smiled back.

‘You’re awake.’ He whispered.

‘Yeah,’ she whispered back,

Breathing out a small laugh he told her, ‘I didn’t want to wake you up, but I would have eventually if you didn’t, you can’t sleep out here all night.  It’s too cold.’

Humming she told him, ‘I feel warm.  How long was I asleep?’

‘About an hour.’ He told her putting the guitar back behind him. ‘Did I wake you with the music?’

‘No, it was – nice.’ She told him, shoving herself up into a seating position.  ‘Is it new?’

‘It’s something I’ve been working on.’ He explained, his cheeks turning a pale pink.  She wondered why he was shy about that.

‘It’s lovely.’ She told him, trying to ease his shyness as she reached her arms around her legs and rested her head on her knees looking towards him.

‘Thanks,’ he told her mimicking her, drawing his knees up to his chest and folding the rest of himself around them.

‘What time is it?’ she asked him.

‘It’s about 11.  It’s not too late.’ He said with a hint of something like ‘please don’t go yet.’

He didn’t say anymore, she looked out over the rooftop, listening to the breeze that was blowing in softly.  She didn’t feel the need to constantly speak with Chanyeol.  The night with him had gone as well as she had hoped.  No hostility, no real awkwardness. 

‘Why – why did you act like you hate me if you like me?’ she inquired quietly turning back to face him.

He held her eye contact before he spoke, ‘It’s really hard to explain.’ He whispered, his voice floating in the breeze.

A frown line appeared between her eyebrows.  She was hoping for something a little more solid from him.

‘I want to explain.’ He continued, a touch of desperation leaking into his deep voice. His eyes darted between both of hers, searching for the words he wanted to say, searching, and failing.

‘It’s ok.  If you don’t want to tell me.’ She sighed dragging her gaze away from him.

‘I – I –‘his words failed him again.  She stretched backward, resting her weight back into her arms, and before she knew what was happening, he dived at her, pinning her down, pressing his lips on hers, with his fingers tracing down her body. 

She was in a state of utter shock.  What was he doing?  It wasn’t that he was kissing her, but it was the way it took her by complete surprise, she didn’t take well to his weight pressing down on her, trapping her underneath him.  It made her panic, in a way she was all too familiar with.  She was twisting beneath him trying to get free.

‘Stop it, STOP IT.’ She screamed with all she had.  He paused, confused, enough for her to manage to get her arms up and push as hard as she could on his chest, shoving him off her.

She didn’t stay to see his reaction, with the tears streaming down her face uncontrollably she ran, throwing open the door on the roof, and flew down the stairs, almost falling out of the door on the other side. 

The adrenaline coursing through her ceased a little, she fell to her knees as the heavy door banged closed behind her, putting her face in her hands, she sobbed.

She didn’t hear the elevator opening, she didn’t hear the footsteps running over to her.  She could hear her heartbeat in her ears, she couldn’t breathe for sobbing, but she did feel a hand on her shoulder, shocking her so much she jumped backward, yelling ‘Don’t touch me,’ before the sobbing took over her entire body, shaking violently.

‘Ok butterfly,’ she could hear a voice, but it was very far away, whenever someone attempted to touch her, lay a hand on her to help her, she jumped, obscenely freaking out. 

She didn’t hear the door she had just ran through, opening.  She didn’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter