I'm Done.

If It's Meant To Be

Eve stayed silent as she watches Sungjin having a mental breakdown in front of her. She could see it in his face, the way he stares at the floor, the way he closes his eyes, only to open them with a heavy sigh. It was hard for him. He was really torn.

“…Where’s Hana?” Sungjin broke the silence, looking up from the ground to Eve.

“She has a late meeting at her university. It was sudden news so she couldn’t cancel it nor tell you earlier so she asked me to give you these.” Sungjin sighs but felt relieved nevertheless. He accepted the two bags knowing there were home cooked food but was surprised to find a new jacket there.

“Er… She noticed your old jacket is em, worn out.” Eve explains. For a moment there, it seemed like Sungjin was lost in thought again until he gave out an awkward cough which startled Eve. “Right. I’ll…get going now.” She stands up. Sungjin couldn’t bring himself to see her out so he turned his back on her, pretending to focus on the tracks again.

Eve walks to the elevator and fumbled with her hands nervously as she waited for it to stop. When it did, she went out of it quickly and found her way to her car that was parked in a dark corner. She let out a sigh when she saw Hana waiting inside, she had stopped crying but her eyes were now swollen and red. She entered the driver seat and slowly turns to Hana.

“Unnie?” She says softly. Hana sniffs, and look away. “He said thank you for the jacket and that he was sorry not to see you tonight.” Eve lies, trying to cheer Hana up. But Hana’s tears showed up again and Eve decided to stay silent.

When she agreed to drive Hana to see Sungjin, she did not expect for drama to erupt. Truth is, Hana heard everything she did. From the beginning till well, until Hana couldn’t take it anymore and left. Eve saw the bags that Hana left on the ground as she left in a hurry and decided to help the two out. She doesn’t know if she did the right thing but she couldn’t let Day6’s manager hurt Sungjin more. And she was right, the manager was about to become more violent if she didn’t step in. She thought Sungjin would’ve been more concerned about Hana though, Hana isn’t the type to tell Sungjin things from a third person. Even though Eve only knew Hana for a short while, she already figured out the whole “I can’t live without Sungjin” part.

Eve stops the car in front of Hana’s apartment building, she opens to say something and break the silent when Hana just left with a soft and barely audible, “Thank you”. Eve opens her seatbelt and rushed out of the car, “Unnie!” She calls out and gasps when Hana was almost hit by a car. “Be careful!” She shouts again. She was about to enter her car again but because she was too worried, she decided she’ll just give Hana a quick check.

Eve knocks on Hana’s apartment door, “Unnie? It’s me. Are you okay?” She calls out, making sure to use her ‘soft’ tone. It’s what she does when she wants to reach out to people who don’t want to be reached. The door opened and she was surprised to see the person who opened it.

“…Who are you?” Jaebum asks, opening the door wider to take a closer look. “Wait, aren’t you…” Eve cuts him, “The girl you saw at the restaurant? Yeah, that’s me. My name’s Eve.” She cranes her neck to look for Hana, “Is Hana unnie inside? You want to know what happened don’t you?” She adds after seeing his worried face. Jaebum gave a weary nod but didn’t invite her in. Eve rolls her eyes, she’s getting the same treatment Sungjin gave her. She gets that all the idol in the whole Korean industry are scared and worried about crazy fans, but they don’t have to look at her like she just murdered someone or something.

“Look, I don’t bite. Hana unnie knows me, I’m a friend. I gave her a ride here. I want to check up on her, can I come in?” Jaebum sensed how the girl was starting to get irritated so he stepped aside to let her in. Her attitude completely changed the moment she saw Hana coming out of her bedroom, no doubt wondering who was at the door. “Unnie,” Eve smiles, walking to her and giving Hana a hug, “I want to stay the night.” She announced, making the decision without thinking twice. Hana sighs, she was about to decline when Eve pouts and batted her big eyes at her, “Aww come on, just one night? We can watch a movie if you want!” Hana let out a faint smile at Eve’s move to try and cheer her up. “You can stay. And help me explain to Jaebum, will you? I’m not exactly in the mood to talk.” The moment Hana went inside her room, Eve lost her smile.

When she turned around, she saw Jaebum looking expectantly at her. “Want to talk over coffee? Or are you tea person?” Jaebum says. Eve sighs, this is only the second time they met and it all had bad timing. If only they met in different circumstances… “I’ll make the coffee.” Said Eve, walking to the kitchen. When Jaebum was about to object, she turns sharply to him, “I won’t poison it.” She said through gritted teeth and proceeds to make the coffees.

And so, she told him what happened that night. She knew they were friends for a long time from what Hana told her. “And that was it. I drove unnie here, but I got worried, so I came to check in on her.” Jaebum was silent for a while and Eve can see that he was in deep thought. After a while, he looked up, “Thank you for telling me. And also for staying with Hana for the night.” Eve didn’t say anything to that and waited for him to continue. “I’m going to check on Sungjin. Can I have you number, though?” Eve’s big eyes widen at the last question. Jaebum was quick to explain, “Hana don’t have many friends, you see. Especially ones that cared for her enough to stay the night like you. So…”

“You want my number so you can check up on her.” She finished the sentence for him and fished out her phone from her pockets. Jaebum looked relieved she caught on fast. “Then I’ll have your number too, it’s only fair that way.” Said Eve and Jaebum agreed. They exchanged numbers and he was out the door.

***

Jaebum couldn’t reach Sungjin for the last couple of days. He has been trying but it turns out that the Eve girl was right, Day6’s security was tighten and he could barely see them at all even when they were in the same company. He had been talking to Eve a lot lately because Hana will only answer his calls once and ignored the rest. He couldn’t really blame her, things were really going downhill for her and Sungjin. Eve definitely showed up when Hana needed her most. The two were basically best friends.

Jaebum was walking to his practice room when he decided to peek into the Day6’s practice room. Maybe he could talk to Sungjin this time. And he got lucky; he found Sungjin alone in the room with his headphones on.

“Hyung.” Jaebum says, taping the Day6’s leader’s shoulder. Sungjin flinch and opened his headphones. He looks relieved to see Jaebum and gave the younger a smile. “Wow, you look awful.” Jaebum says, noting the dark circles below his eyes and the pale skin. “Are you…okay?” He finally asks.

Sungjin sighs, “Not really. I’m trying to figure out how to break up with Hana.” This took Jaebum by surprised. “Hyung, you’re…gonna break up with her?” Sungjin shrugs, “I don’t really have a choice do I? I’m worried about how she will take it though.” Jaebum’s face darkens, “Why? Because she couldn’t live without you?” Jaebum scoffs, “And how about you, hyung? How are you going to live without Hana?” Sungjin stared at Jaebum.

“Look, you don’t know what’s happening okay? It’s crazy, our manager’s crazy, the company’s crazy. I just can’t handle another problem.”

“Hana is a problem now, is it?”

“You know that’s not what I mean!”

“What are you trying to say then??”

“I just… It’s just… Kang manager is right, I’m the leader. You know we have to do what we have to do.”

“Hana’s different. You know she is! She’s been patient for so long, she’s been with you since the start of everything and now you’re just going to throw her away?!”

“I want to focus on my music! I want to focus on being Day6’s leader. Look I love Hana, but… everything is complicated right now! I don’t know what to do!”

“You do know how much Hana loves you, right hyung?”

“I do. And…I love her too. I know she needs me. She always needs me but…”

“…You don’t need her?” Jaebum was looking at Sungjin in the eyes as he says those words. Waiting for Sungjin to correct him, but he doesn’t. Jaebum heard footsteps approaching the room and took a step back, not wanting to let his anger get the best of him.

“You know, I don’t think you realize how much you need Hana in your life too, hyung.” Said Jaebum through gritted teeth and he walked out the door. He ignored the rest of the Day6’s members because he was too angry to talk or fake friendly. If only he slowed down a bit when he opened the door or if he looked to his right before walking away; He’d see the two cup of coffees splattered on the ground, still hot.

***

Hana was crying again. How many days has it been? She can’t stop crying. After knowing what’s happening to Day6, after knowing Sungjin’s real feelings after all these years… She feels so lost. She was right, she was right all along. Sungjin don’t need her at all. Did he really even love her? At least once, in their 6 years of dating? She’s just another problem, another burden to him. Her love is tiring… And that’s probably because she always gives. She gave him everything she got. She loved him with all of her heart. Is that not enough?

…You don’t need her.”

Has she really been oblivious to it all? Is she the only one who was really in love? Why didn’t she realize it sooner… Why didn’t she see that it was already over…

Hana wipes her tears. She knows what she has to do now. She grabs her car keys and entered her car that was parked in the basement. She had to start the engine three times for it to work, it would have probably been wiser to call for Eve or get a taxi but that will all take too long for her. This couldn’t wait.

The moment Hana reached Day6’s apartment door, she knew something was wrong.

TTAK! PPANG! PPANG!

Hana froze at all the cursing and yelling that came from inside the dorm. Once again, she caught them in a bad timing. “Hyung, that hurts!” Sungjin’s voice was heard and Hana inwardly flinched. Their manager is beating him again. Hana realized now that after Junhyuk was caught in that scandal and basically tarnished their newly debuted image, Day6’s manager was as strict as ever. “I’m trying, okay?!” Once again, her boyfriend’s voice bellowed. Hana scoffs to herself, boyfriend huh?

“It’s a simple rule, NO DATING!! How am I supposed feed my family if your group fails?!” Hana scoffed at the manager’s words. Her six years relationship about to end because the manager needs to feed his family. That sounds really awesome. But then again… She is just a problem to Sungjin now. She sighs and swallowed her tears; she’s done.

Hana knocks on the door loudly with her small hands. There was silence for a moment and so she knocks again, this time louder. The door was opened by Jae and by the looks of it, she managed to surprised him with her presence. Hana didn’t bother with greetings at all, she just stormed inside and pulled Sungjin by his wrist, cutting their manager’s next words.

“Let’s end this.” She says, staring right into his eyes, taking him by surprise. She managed to drag him into the kitchen, which did not provide much privacy. But Hana was done, and she wants to end it quick. It didn’t stop her from getting worried about him though. Her eyes scan his body from top to bottom and noticed all the red marks given, no doubt, by their manager.

“Hana stop… you don’t mean that.” Sungjin’s voice started to crack but Hana shakes her head. “You can tell the others that I dump you. I’m the irresponsible girlfriend who can’t wait or any other typical excuses. I don’t care anymore.” Hana failed to hold her tears and they were now flowing down her face. “You want this, right?” This time her voice cracked too as she tries hard to hold herself together. “You think it’s the only way; breaking up.” She wasn’t shouting, she can’t even bring herself to sound angry. Sungjin tried to approach her but Hana took a step back.

“Don’t.” She said as more tears came. “I have always been the one who loved you more. I was the one who needed you to breathe, to live. But I… I can’t stand seeing you like this.” She hastily wipes her tears. “I can wait. Actually…I am always willing to wait for you. But you don’t want me to wait, do you? You want it to stop, for us to end. Because you’re the leader and you have to make sacrifices… I’m the sacrifice.” She started to cry again because of the realization and pain. She finally let it all out. She finally told him.

Sungjin stepped forward and hugged her before she can even try to stop him. “I’m sorry… I’m really sorry.” He cried as she cries harder. She didn’t let go, he did. He was still looking guilty and even apologetic as he did so but Hana knew deep inside that she was the only one who would truly be affected by the break up. He’ll be okay, he always is.

“I can’t see you as a friend and I’m sure you know why.” Hana takes a deep breath. “When we meet…If we meet again, I’m gonna act like I don’t know you.” And with one last glance to her now ex-boyfriend, she left.

 

 

 

 

 

A/n: Quick question, if you guys want a couple to make a cameo, who do you want it to be? It can be idol x idol, idol x actor or any kind of pairing. Anyway, hope you guys enjoyed this angsty chapter haha.