Are they really friends? (Or—Are they really just friends?)

If It's Meant To Be

A/n: Yall sorry this really looks like an abandon story but I'm actually still trying to finish it. So for those that stayed, here's a long chapter for you guys.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jaebum always thought he and Eve were close. He always thought they were close friends, or sometimes, even more than that. They didn’t have a label to their relationship, but Jaebum didn’t mind. Until something happened. Not until she said something.

          Jaebum was going around, finishing his schedules here and there while trying to have enough rest in between. But this time, resting wasn’t enough. He was too tense and stress because of his overthinking and the pressure on him. He needs to let off some steam. Not so surprisingly, Eve was the first one to pop in his mind.

          It’s not the first time he went to Eve for comfort in pretty much everything. Sure the girl was quiet and can be curt with her words sometimes, but she’s kind and nice when she wants to. And she can definitely say the right words to every situation. She understands, that’s the most important thing. And so, Jaebum called her. Instead of ringing or going straight to voicemail, the robotic female voice said that Eve was overseas.

          Jaebum sent Eve a text, asking her where she is. She received the message but hasn’t read it. Was she busy? What was she doing outside the country? Jaebum texted Hana next. The moment Jaebum got the answer he was looking for, his eyes widen.

          China? Eve went back to China?? He called Hana.

          “You didn’t know?” Hana said. She was about to go to sleep. She closed her café quite late today.

          “She didn’t say anything.” Jaebum said through gritted teeth. He doesn’t know why but he is freaking pissed Eve didn’t tell him about this matter.

          “Well, she did leave in a hurry. I can’t get a hold on her too. It’s been three days.” Hana let out a sleepy yawn.

          “Three days? Hana why didn’t you tell me??”

          “I thought you knew! I’m sure she’ll be back soon. She said it was work. Stop being so worried. Sheesh.”

          Stop being so worried? Pffft, he wasn’t worried… It’s just…not fair that Eve was gone for three days and he doesn’t even know. Something in his head was telling him otherwise, but he ignored it.

          And so, Jaebum felt worse. He was now tense, stressed and angry.

          It was a weird feeling. Sure he had some anger issues in the past, but that was that, it was the past. Eve rarely do tell him stuff unless he asked her about it. There was some occasion where she lets things slip but it was never a big deal anymore.

          “Hyung, what’s wrong?” Jinyoung asked. He was on his way to get a drink before bed. That was when he found his leader sitting in the kitchen looking as if he was about to explode soon. And that was never a good sign. Since he knew Jaebum the longest, he knew when something is wrong.

          “Did the company say anything?” He tries again. Jaebum was already struggling to keep his temper down. Jaebum can only shakes his head. “Nothing, it’s nothing.” The tone Jaebum used put an end to the conversation. It means one thing; I don’t want to talk about it.

          And so Jinyoung drank his water and went to the living room instead of his room. He tried not to look as Jaebum kept on calling Eve on the phone. As stressed as he was, he ordered some late night snacks to accompany his drinking. Food always helps ease his mind. It was Eve who nagged about him drinking on an empty stomach. Jaebum cursed, Eve, there she goes again. Making him think about her. He never did realize how… involved she was in his life. When the delivery came, Jinyoung joined him silently.

          “Is it what I think it is?” Jinyoung says, opening the can of beer for his hyung. Carefully threading on the subject.

          “What do you think it is?” Jaebum asks, gulping down his drink after munching on some chicken.

          “Well.. a who comes in mind. Eve-ssi?” Jinyoung guessed. Jaebum raised his eyebrows, he really is that obvious huh? “And how may I ask do you know this?” Jaebum prodded. Jinyoung shrugs, “Hyung, you do keep on meeting her. Sometimes with the excuse of Hana, yes, but by now the boys noticed that you’ve been talking to her a lot…”

         “Well, I guess the cat’s out of the bag.” Jaebum said, surrendering.

         “What’s wrong? Are you guys fighting?”

         “Fighting?” Jaebum scoffs. “It’s like having a friend that doesn’t acknowledges that you’re friends.”

         “Can I join into this conversation or is it exclusive for the parents of the family only?” Jaebum and Jinyoung turn their heads to the eldest. “Hyung.” They said together.

         “Don’t tell me you knew all along too?” Jaebum says, inviting Mark to come and join them.

         Mark shrugs, “You and Eve?” Jaebum nods. “Well, I wanted to pry it from Jinyoung cause he always seem to know everything. But, I guess you’ve revealed yourself. You always seem way attentive to Eve than anyone else, even more than Hana.”

         Jaebum raised his eyebrows, “Really?” Jinyoung rolled his eyes. “Hyung, other than the fact that you keep buying her stuff, your eyes literally lights up just from hearing her name and you always seem to find excuses to talk to her.” Jaebum shrugs his shoulders at that, not bothering to deny it. But then his shoulder slump,                 “Alright, spill. What’s going on?” Mark asks.

         “It’s nothing. I don’t even know. It’s just that, Eve is…hard to crack. I thought I’ve been a good friend at least but she’s not… I mean, she doesn’t see me in the same way.” Jinyoung and Mark shared a look. “What?” Jaebum says, looking at them both.

         “I think you’ve crossed the line than just a regular friend, Jaebum.” Said Mark knowingly.

         “Yeah, I think she likes you too. But she doesn’t seem to open up easily. Maybe you should try being a bit more honest and upfront.” Said Jinyoung.

         “What do you mean? I don’t understand. She doesn’t like me back, does she? I didn’t know that, how could you two know that??” Mark and Jinyoung chuckled.

         “She’s really comfortable with you. And she smiles more when you’re in the room with her. Just be upfront, if things go well, congrats. If it doesn’t, then I guess you know where you stand.” Jinyoung advised. Mark nodded, “Yeah, what he said. I have a feeling if you don’t do anything, you two will just drift apart. Better do something than do nothing, Jaebum.”

         Jaebum sighs, true. He has a feeling Eve is a pro at avoiding people when she wants to. He doesn’t want to destroy their friendship, since he did work hard to gain her trust. But he doesn’t want to keep her at arm’s length either. Time to stop his denial phase and act on his feelings rather than hide from them. He doesn’t even know how many songs he wrote with her as a muse. Yep, definitely time to take things up a notch.

***

Jaebum tried his best to keep his anger at bay in order to understand Eve. He goes to Hana’s café to help her close it down and have dinner together. He went there with a very clear goal, to get information from Hana. Which is a bad first step, but he didn’t know any other of Eve’s friends. He was pretty sure Hana is her only friend. And him, if she ever counts him as a friend of course. But, he decided he is her friend even if she doesn’t say it. Hana being Hana, she wasn’t suspicious at all.

          “Oh, by the way oppa, Eve said she’s gonna come back tomorrow. Some time at dawn if I’m not mistaken.” Hana said without him even asking. This might be easier than he thinks it is. “Really? Is she replying to your texts now?” Hana shakes her head, “I called her just now.” Jaebum grits his teeth, he’s been calling her non-stop and he doesn’t even get a text back.

          Hana smirks as she watches Jaebum. He must think she’s so easy to fool, huh? Maybe she is, but when it comes to Eve, Hana pays attention. More than Jaebum thinks at least. Jaebum was cooking for her tonight, it was one of his ways to bribe her into doing something. Or in this case, to tell him something. He was making his infamous kimchi fried rice, he knows it was one of her favourite food from him. She set the table as Jaebum finished cooking. It’s been a while since she’s been this amuse by Jaebum. He was clearly falling for her friend, and Lim Jaebum doesn’t just fall for anyone. Heck, he was blind too. Haera has been crushing on him for ages and yet he never knew. Or maybe he doesn’t feel the same way and it trying not to hurt Haera. Either way, Jaebum takes his relationship seriously. All of them. He’s been hurt before, that was why he was always reluctant about making the first moves. But hey, look at him now, standing in her kitchen to try and get information about Eve.

          “Would you like coffee or just water?” Hana asks.

          “Water is fine.” Jaebum answers as he brought the food to the coffee table in the living room. “Let’s eat, come on!” Jaebum hurries her. As they began to eat, Hana kept on talking about her day. Enjoying how irritated Jaebum was becoming whenever she cuts him off and straying off from the topic he wants to talk about most; Evelyn Huang. When they were done and he volunteered to do the dishes, Hana let out an amused chuckle.

         “What?” Jaebum almost snapped. He thought it was going to be easy, but why was Hana so damn talkative today? Hana laughs and then started talking.

         “Eve likes the colour pink and purple despite how she always wear black. She’s half Chinese and half Korean. She’s been living in China until recently but she lived in Korea as a kid, up until she was only 7 I think. Her parents are divorced. Her father remarried and returned to China, bringing Eve with him. She never heard about her mother anymore. She went back to China to finish packing her stuff there because she’s thinking of staying in Korea permanently. Her father kicked her out of the house after she didn’t want to pursue law like he wanted her too. That’s why she’s in Korea in the first place.” Jaebum froze at the sink and blinked repeatedly before slowly turning around to face Hana. Hana was smirking and she looks like she just won a contest.

         “Her work was bad because her seniors kept on making her do things that she did not sign up with. But, recently, it got better after she met a pretty good senior who kept looking out for her. She’s doing better and is even thinking of doing a movie next. That’s why she’s permanently moving here.” Jaebum’s mouth was agape now. “Now, about her love life,” Hana says, a smile playing on her lips, “She’s been hurt before. Hence the trust issues. She likes you though, and no, she never said it out loud before. But I know she likes you. She doesn’t even listen to me when I nag at her about her health and yet she listens to you. I’m a little bit jealous if I do say so myself -”

         “Wait, hold up, Hana hold up.” Jaebum stops her. Hana smiles mischievously at him, “What?” she says innocently. Jaebum splashed his face with water and raked his hair before facing her again. “You,” he starts, “have change.” He said, making her laugh and he followed her after a while. “Oh, oppa. You have always been obvious when you like someone. How many songs are about Evelyn Huang, hmm?” Hana said, still with her playful tone. Jaebum walked to her and hugged her before spinning her around, making her squeal. “Goodness Hana, you’re the best best friend ever.” He says with another laugh.

         “I know.” Hana says. “But, keep in mind Eve is a tad bit…complicated.” Hana says in a more serious note. “She won’t be open to the idea of a relationship right now. So, if you go and confess with an album of love songs, she’ll probably still reject you.” Jaebum blinked, “What do I do then?” Hana shrugs, “Stay with her? Prove your feelings with actions? Take it slow? I mean, if you can’t handle her now, I don’t think you’d be able to handle her at all.”

          Jaebum stared at her, “Damn, you grew up. Huh?” Hana rolled her eyes, “You are literally only a year older than me.” Jaebum smiles and ruffled her hair, “You don’t want me to hurt her feelings.” He states and Hana nods. “People keep leaving her. I don’t think she can handle another one.” Jaebum nods, “I won’t do it on purpose, you know that.” Hana nods again, “You’ve been hurt and people have left you too. I’m only trusting her to you because you’re you, Lim Jaebum. Eve left China and left her only family there. I think she’s capable of avoiding us all if you make one bad mistake.” Jaebum gulps, true, he noted.

         Hana shakes her head at her childhood friend, “Take it slow. If it doesn’t go as planned, stay as friends. Don’t hurt yourself too much in the process.” Hana offered him another smile, “Her plane lands at 4am. She’s alone. She sold her car.”

***

Jaebum called Eve when he arrived at the airport’s car park. He’s not dumb enough to go out. He just has to hope that Eve won’t be able to run away from him when he’s already there. It was a little over 4am already.

          “Look, I’m sorry I didn’t answer any of your calls before okay? I was busy.” Jaebum smiles when he heard the guilt in her voice. “I’m not mad Eve. But I am at the airport right now. Hana told me when you would land.” He wasn’t even sorry that he’s dragging Hana’s name.

         “Wha-? Why would you-? What?” Eve was stammering, Jaebum mused. But instead of teasing her about it, he told her where he exactly was. Eve eventually came, she spotted his car from afar and he opened his trunk. Jaebum watch as Eve put both of her suitcase into the truck and her backpack into the backseat before sitting in the passenger seat.

         Eve cleared albeit awkwardly as she put on her seatbelts and Jaebum driving away. “Thanks.” She says after giving him her current address and then, “Why are you doing this?” Jaebum looked at her as they stopped at a red light, her question remind him of the time where he helped her when she went to the hospital. He smiles and gave her the same answer, “Cause we’re friends Eve. And friends help each other. They don’t lie to each other, and they definitely do not avoid each other’s calls.”

         Eve looked at him, “I wasn’t avoiding your calls!” she says indignantly. “I told you, I was busy.” Jaebum smiles still, “Okay, okay. So Hana told me you sold your car.” Jaebum says, jumping onto another topic. Eve nods, “It’s not worth anymore, the car. And I’m short on cash for a while.” Jaebum was relieve she was at least still honest with him. He would lend her money, but he knows she’ll reject the offer. He’ll just have to find a way to help her. Eve fell asleep on their way to her rooftop house. She really was trying to save money, the place wasn’t the best. As he parked his car, he didn’t wake her immediately. He watch over as she sleeps and take in her tired face, she didn’t bother with make up this time and her panda eyes made an appearance. He was going to let her sleep for a little while more when her phone rang, Eve answers sleepily.

         “Hello, this is Evelyn Huang. How can I help you?” She says formally. She sits up when the other person answers, “Oh, sunbae!” Jaebum raised his eyebrow at her slightly cheerier tone. “Yes, I just arrived. A friend of mine was already waiting at the airport. I’m safe, yeah, thanks. Okay sure, we can meet up tonight. Thanks again sunbae.” Eve ended up the call and stretch as she yawns.

         “Who was that?” Jaebum asks, trying to sound nonchalant. Eve was trying to unlock her seatbelt but her fingers kept slipping, Jaebum shakes his head with a small smile before helping her, “Oh a senior of mine. He’s really nice, we’re planning to work on more projects together.” Jaebum stared at her, it’s a he. The senior is a he. He inhaled a deep breath but Eve didn’t seem to notice anything out of the blue. She takes out all her things as Jaebum stayed seated in the driver seat, people were starting to appear and he didn’t want Eve to get unnecessary attention because of him.

         “Hey,” Eve opens the passenger seat’s door before leaving and leaned in, “Thanks again for picking me up at the airport.” Jaebum nods and smiles, “I’ll call you when I’m free. Pick up this time, okay?” he says, trying to sound playful and not just straight up hopeful. Eve smiles and nods, “I’ll buy you dinner when we’re both free. How about that?” His heart should not be thumping so loudly right now but it was. Jaebum nods, “Sounds great. And Eve?”

         “Yeah?”

         “Rest.” She rolls her eyes.

         “You too, oppa.” 

        Jaebum watch her climb up the stairs and waits as she waved at him from the rooftop before he drives away. Maybe he’s falling harder than he thinks it is.

 

 

a/n: Comments are much appreciated and gives me motivation :3