You do you

If It's Meant To Be

Eve didn’t lower her glare on Sungjin. She didn’t even try to break the silence. Sungjin unconsciously took a step back which Eve notices. She let out a sighs.

“So?” She asks again. Sungjin gulps but then straighten himself. “…I was with Hana last night. I came to check in on her.”  He waited for the blow to come but it never did. Instead, Eve shrugs and finished her drink.

“Okay.” Sungjin’s eyes widen. Okay? That’s it? Eve rolls her eyes at his reaction. “You do you. I don’t care anymore. I’ve done my part. I don’t want to be nosy anymore. I’m sure you know what you’re doing, right?” Sunjin wanted to answer, yeah of course I do. But then again, that’d be a total lie. So he kept quiet.

Eve closed her eyes in annoyance and took a deep breath before speaking up again, “This is my last advice; If you’re not sure, don’t do it. You don’t want to hurt her again, so don’t. But if you’re sure, and she’s sure too… Hell, what does it has to do with me right?”

Sungjin stared at her. Not really knowing what’s happening. “Jaebum-ssi isn’t doing anything. So I’m gonna stop here too.” She says as a way of explaining. He still didn’t get it. 

“Wait, where are you going?” Sungjin finally speak up again when he saw her leave. Eve gave him a look, “I’m not gonna be a third wheel here. Are you not here to stay?” Sungjin snap his lip shut once again, not knowing what to say. Eve just shakes her head and left the two of them to talk or whatever it is that he came here for.

She is still light headed and her eyes are still fuzzy but she can manage. She only needs to get home. It can’t be that hard to do. With one last look at the door that she just closed and with the hope of thinking what she’s doing is right, Eve turned her heel and went down the stairs. She hailed a cab swiftly, texting Jaebum about what she just did.

Sungjin was left confused in the living room. He composed himself before going into Hana’s room. The girl was still sleeping. Seeing her, he realized that he was sleepy himself. He never did get enough sleep with all the comebacks their having plus having to manage their songs too. He slowly climbed on the bed, but before he closed his eyes to sleep, he didn’t forget to check Hana’s injuries first. 

***

Jaebum raised his eyebrow when he got Eve’s text. She shouldn’t be moving too much when she’s sick. “What is it hyung?” Youngjae asks, hearing his leader sigh from the mattress they shared. “Is it Haera noona?” Jaebum shakes his head, “Is it Eve-ssi?” Jaebum gave Youngjae a look, is he that obvious? “It’s Hana. Just Hana.” He lies instead. He doesn’t even know why he’s lying.

***

Hana woke up to a very heavy snoring. Her blurry eyes focused to a very familiar person sleeping next to her.

She wanted to scream. Panic. Run away. Did she mention scream? But she didn’t. Who is she kidding? She likes it this way. She likes having Sungjin beside her. Sure, he’s not perfect. But she’s not either. Nobody is perfect. But maybe, just maybe, they can be perfect for each other.

She can take care of herself. She knows she can. She can be independent if she wants to. She can call it quits with him and never turn back. She throw the habit of sleeping without his voice. It won’t be easy, but it’s possible.

But she doesn’t want to.

That’s the point Eve is missing. Hana moved, started her own café and tried to avoid him just to test this theory. And she was right, it is possible. But it doesn’t mean she wants to move on entirely and not give it another shot. Okay, maybe she really did call it quits and broke up with him but that was because she was overwhelmed by emotions.

Seeing Eve being…Eve. Hana didn’t want to be labelled as the ‘weak’ girl. She didn’t want to be that desperate and clingy girl; but she’s not Eve. She wants to feel loved by the one she loves most. She wants his attention. She wants to be an independent woman that can support her man. That’s not weak…right?

Oh whatever. He’s here now. He might not be here to stay. But he’s here. For now, she’ll be satisfied with that.

***

Sungjin woke up to Hana’s cooking. He walks to the kitchen to find Hana humming to one of his songs, ‘What can I do’. He unconsciously smiled, she’s so cute in her oversized sweater. Hana can hear his little chuckle so she turned around to face him, “Oppa, sit down. Let’s have dinner you leave.” 

Sungjin almost lost his smile, oppa. They were always chagi this and chagi that when they were alone. They used to be so sweet to each other. Hana didn’t hesitate so much before. She was way more comfortable before. They didn’t have this awkward and trying hard to not make it awkward situation around them.

Damn, he thought to himself, he screwed up big time.

But since she was trying, he did his part too. Small talks, avoiding touches, careful whenever he’s trying to care for her. Hana was too quiet for him though. He never realized before but Hana wasn’t as quiet when they were alone. She was now though. And although he was careful, she was like, extra extra careful. She was even giving more than enough space to him. He can see her hesitating with everything that she does. Where to sit, what side dish to give him, everything

And he didn’t like it at all. Not at all.

But he can’t do anything about it. He can’t possibly force her to be comfortable, or to talk like they used to. It has been months, wait, has a year actually passed? Damn, he really did pull them apart.

“Oppa…?” Hana finally speaks up, Sungjin looked at her expectantly, “Sorry. About last night.” 

“You don’t have to say sorry. I mean, I’m glad you called.”

“Were you really?”

“I am. You have no idea how much I debated whether to call you or not.”

“You didn’t…”

“I did.” 

Hana stopped there and stared at him. What is this? What is he doing? Is he trying to imply something? He didn’t break eye contact. And she can finally see into her eyes after the break up. She missed those eyes… She cleared .

“Well…er, thank you for coming.” Sungjin put the cup he was holding. They had moved from the kitchen to the couch in the living room. Sungjin was sitting on one end while Hana was at the other end.

“Did you really think I won’t come?” Hana shrugs. “…You can always call Jaebum and not come..” She said in a small voice. That small voice took him by surprise, did she really think that? It’s not like he treated like she was nothing after the break up- oh wait. That’s exactly what he did. Silence took over them and none of them tried to break it. Hana because she was waiting for him to say something while Sungjin was too deep in his thoughts.

Finally Hana stands up, “I’m going to bed. My head still hurts.” She bites her lip, she’s not supposed to tell him how she feels yet. She can’t just keep on looking like she needs to be taken care of. “…Are you going to sta- leave? I mean, when are you going to leave?” Damn, this isn’t going as she planned. “I’m staying over. I’ll leave early morning. Is that okay…?” Hana managed a nod.

But she didn’t know what to do. Does she grab a blanket, make him sleep on the couch? Does she invite him into her room and sleep together as they always do? Why is this so confusing??

“I’ll take the couch, Hana.” Sungjin informed her. Seeing her struggling with what to do in front of him breaks his heart. Hana snaps out of it and quickly went into her room to retrieve a blanket for him. She went into the bathroom to brush her teeth before bed and when she returned, Sungjin was already lying down on the couch. “Goodnight.” Sungjin bids her when she attempted to just walk pass him. “Right, night. Goodnight.” She said hastily. She hates it when he takes her by surprise like that.

When she entered her bedroom, she had to admit it was weird to have Sungjin in the same house with her but not having him with her in the bedroom. When she switch off the lights and try to sleep, her speaker suddenly started playing something. She jumped, surprised. When she look over to her speaker (Eve gave it to her as a present for opening the café), she realized someone had it set to play something right now. It didn’t take her long to realize it was Sungjin’s voice was coming out of the speaker.

He did finish her a CD of lullaby after all. Her favourite one was playing at the moment. Her phone buzzed and Sungjin’s number popped up (she still haven’t saved his number. She doesn’t have to, she memorized it), ‘It’s set automatically. I’m sorry. Goodnight.’ The text said. 

Wow, he really knows how to make her cry. But Hana didn’t cry. She held it in and slept through the streams of lullaby playing. The few tears that escaped doesn’t count of course.

Meanwhile, in the living room, Sungjin had his arms across his face. He kept sighing every now and then. Because while Hana got a few hours of sleep, he could barely keep still in the couch.

 

 

 

 

a/n: I just enrolled into my uni. Sorry this took a while. Tryna update as soon as I can.