Can they really do it?

If It's Meant To Be

Eve watches Hana pace back and forth inside her apartment. Hana had called her and said that she needs someone to listen to her so Eve invited Hana to her apartment. Eve props her elbow on her couch and watch as her friend start mumbling to herself.

“Unnie?” Eve tries to pull Hana from her ‘talking to herself time’. But of course, Hana had tuned everything out including Eve. Eve shakes her head and sigh. They basically met like a week ago and Hana have already started to treat her like she was her best friend. Eve didn’t mind, instead she was grateful. Her stay in Korea had been hell until Hana showed up.

“Unnie!” Eve shouts this time. Hana halted her steps and turn to her. Finally. Eve thought. She pats the empty space next to her and Hana sighs before taking the seat.

“So, what happened?” Eve asks, putting her whole attention to Hana.

“HE HASN’T CALLED ME BACK YET!” Hana screams into her hands, surprising Eve so much she jumped off the couch.

“What the heck unnie??” Eve rolls her eyes and sat back down again. “It’s only been like…three days?” Eve tries to calm her down again. Hana sighs, “It has actually been a week.” She says, voice getting smaller and smaller. Eve likes it better when she was being dramatic about it. When Hana’s voice gets quite, it feels as if she’s about to cry soon.

She wasn’t exactly wrong. Hana’s tears started to show up as she explains.

“I stopped calling him when Jaebum told me about giving him space. Two days later, he still hasn’t called back. Look, I’m trying to give him time, but isn’t this too much? I’m still his girlfriend…right?” Eve can only blink when Hana stares at her.

“…Someone’s calling you.” She manages, pointing to Hana’s vibrating phone. She must’ve accidentally put it on silent. Hana sniffs, drying the few tears that managed to escape her eyes. Her eyes widen when she saw who it was. She sprang up and answered, “Chagiyah?” She says, her voice hopeful. Eve smiles, Sungjin was finally calling her back.

“Let’s talk, we should talk.” Hana says, Eve knows she wants to meet him badly. “A place to meet? Without any eyes…?” Hana bites her lip before turning to Eve expectantly. Eve rolls her eyes before nodding to give her permission.

30 minutes later, Sungjin showed up in front of Eve’s apartment door. He raises his eyebrows when he saw her. “I think I’ve seen you before…” He says warily. Eve doesn’t blame him, he might think she’s a fan too. Hana greeted him with a hug.

“I’m sorry but who are you?” He asks, still being wary. Hana was the one who answered.

“She’s a script-writer, oppa. And she’s familiar because she’s the girl we saw getting scold at, remember? The restaurant with Jaebum and Haera?”

“Ahhh. Right, sorry. I’m Sungjin by the way. Thank you for helping us out.” Eve nod and smiles.

“I’m Eve.” She introduced herself. “I’ll be leaving you guys here then. I have somewhere to go.” She explains. She turns to Hana, “Use my place for as long as you like, unnie. Just lock the door after you guys are done. There is food in the fridge.” She bows to Sungjin and waves at Hana with a smile before exiting her apartment.

“You sure we can trust her?” Sungjin asks when Eve closed the door. Hana frowns at him, “If you can’t trust her, then trust me. She’s a good friend chagi.” Sungjin sighs before hugging his girlfriend again, “Sorry. I trust you. I just became wary of other people, that’s all.”

***

After Sungjin left, Hana still feels weird. Something bad is about to happen. She’s sure of it. She stared at her phone that night. Hoping he’d call her first. But it was nearing ten o’clock, which was her bed time (and he knows it) and her phone hasn’t lighten up once. She sighs, is this how their relationship will end?

Just as her heart was giving up hope, her phone rang an hour later.

“Chagiyah? Sorry. I almost forgot.” His voice was raspy, it means he just woke up. Hana suddenly feels sorry for him. He must’ve fallen asleep after all the trouble he has to go through. And here she was complaining, because he forgot to call. But then again, he didn’t really need her like she needs him…

“It’s okay, chagi.” Hana says, her voice small.

“Why didn’t you just call me like you always do? You know I’d pick up if it was you.” Lies. Hana thought for a second. Didn’t he ignore her call for a week straight? She quickly shakes her head. She can’t be like this. Sungjin was in trouble. He didn’t do it on purpose. Hana clears .

“I just thought you were busy, that’s all. I don’t want be a bother.”

“…You’re not a bother, Hana-yah.” Hana did a double take. Was that hesitation she heard in his voice? And him calling her by her name in the night. He never does that. He always calls her ‘honey’ when they are alone. Especially when he tucks her to bed, especially when he is about to sing her to sleep.

“Hana? Are you still there?” Hana stopped her over thinking immediately. No, it can’t be. Sungjin will never…

“You should just sing a short lullaby, chagi. So you can go back to sleep.”

“How about I record your lullabies from now on? You know, so you don’t have to wait for me each night.” Hana almost drops her phone at the suggestion. Record his voice? Isn’t them talking each night the only tradition that is still in their relationship? If he starts recording his voice for her… Does that mean he wants to stop calling her every day?

“Hana-yah?” Hana grips her phone tightly, her lips quivering. “Chagiyah, are you there?” Hana blinks her tears away.

“…yeah. I just…I just spaced out that’s all.”

“Oh, okay. Close your eyes then.”

***

It was hell the following week. Kang manager, if it was even possible, got stricter to the whole lot of the team. He confiscated their phones and even their laptops. He timed their hour on the computer, if they do get to use it. They were forced to delete their private accounts on social media. Jae was the angriest one when their privacy and freedom was taken away from them. He never was for one to be caged in.

“I mean, seriously? He’s ing timing us!” He shouts when Kang manager was in his own room, not caring whether he heard him or not. Jae might’ve just done it on purpose too.

“Language, hyung.” Sungjin says from the couch, trying to calm s down. He wasn’t happy in the state they are in either, but he knows blowing up will only worsen everything.

“Don’t you language me. Do something as a leader, would you? Talk to the company about it. I knew our team screwed up but this is just too much!” Jae snaps at the younger leader.

“Yeah, hyung.” Brian starts to agree. “We’re not just a typical idol group. We’re a band. And it’s not like dating is a sin. It was just bad luck that Junhyuk hyung fell for the wrong girl.” Jae scoffs at that. Junhyuk; the source of all their trouble. If they get disbanded because of this… After all the harsh training they went through to debut… He’ll never forgive the guy.

Sungjin sighs, “I know, I know. I’ll try and talk it out with the company. But we should still be patient. We can’t possibly get anything right now. I mean, our debut is the least successful one… I don’t mean to discourage anyone but… Maybe now is not the time to argue with the higher up when we don’t bring anything to the company.”

“And if they disband us? If they decide to stop promoting us altogether?” Wonpil suddenly spoke up. He and Dowoon have been quietly listening in a corner till now.

“They won’t go that far, Wonpil ah. We just debuted… I’m sure they’ll come up with something. We can start afresh. Should we come up with a plan?” Sungjin tries to get them feel hopeful.

“What kind of plan?” Jae asks, calming down a bit. He didn’t want to be the reckless adult. He is the oldest one here after all.

“How about we compose some songs?” Dowoon silently suggest. “I mean, you all wrote and compose songs right? If we create something amazing, won’t the company be impressed enough to let us promote it?” Sungjin smiles at that.

“There you go. The maknae has something there. If the company won’t give us something, then we should give them something.” Sungjin turns to Jae who has finally calmed down enough to meet his eyes.

“But you do realize we need our laptop to do that? We can’t be bothered by phones, no offence, but we really do need our laptop.” Sungjin nods, “No offence taken. And I agree. I’ll go talk to the company first thing in the morning tomorrow.”

***

Sungjin managed to get them their laptop back. And Kang manager was more tolerable knowing that the team was trying hard to succeed. Which mean more money to him. Day6 needs to do well in order for him to stay as a manager. If he fails, he’ll never be able to feed his family.

But, not everything goes as plan.

Sungjin was staying up late in the studio listening to some of s’ demos. He realized that Brian really has a knack for composing and writing lyrics. He was actually staying up late for two different reasons, number one was this (of course), the second one was Hana. His girlfriend is about to pay him a visit. She was already a pro at acting as a staff member that Sungjin rarely worries about getting caught. It has been weeks since their last encounter. Eight weeks to be exact and he missed her.

When he heard the door opening behind him, he felt himself smiling as he turned his chair around. His smile faltered when he realized who it was. “Kang manager…” He felt his mouth going dry. Kang manger threw a phone to him that hit him square on the chest. Sungjin stood up, backing away from the furious manager.

“YOU-LITTLE-BASTARD!” Kang manager shouted, locking the door behind him. Sungjin gulps, he’s caught. “How could you date in these troubled times?!” Sungjin looks down at the phone which was now laying on the ground, the one that his manager threw and recognize it as his own. Did the manager hack through it? But he deleted everything related to Hana inside, there’s no way…

“You think I won’t find out because you deleted her number and pictures?! Do you think I’m stupid?! I finally found out who you had been calling every night!” Sungjin gulps, going behind a chair just in case his manager decided to hit him again. “You!” He pointed a finger towards Sungjin, “If you mess this project up, I’m going to ing kill you, you get me? Break up with her!” He ordered in a commanding voice.

“Manager-nim, listen,” Sungjin finally found his voice back. “Hana is different. We’ve been dating for SIX years. She’s not like-”

“I DON’T CARE!” His manager bellowed. “Break up with her. I won’t tell the company, at least not yet. Never forget that I am your manager, Park Sungjin. I can make life hell for you and your members.” Sungjin’s mouth opened slightly at the threat.

“I will report you to the company.” Sungjin stood up straighter, fighting back. “I will not tolerate such-AH!” A book was thrown at him while he was speaking. This manager is crazy! He thought to himself. His eyes widen when the manager raised a chair next, aiming for Sungjin who has nowhere to hide in the small studio room. He can only turn his back around, hoping the manager will miss until-

Knock. Knock. KNOCK!

Both Sungjin and his manager froze at the sudden interference. “Sungjin-ssi? I brought you the lyric documents that you wanted.” His manager looked at Sungjin who was trying to figure out who it was. He didn’t ask for any document at all. The doorknob was turn but since it was lock, the door won’t open. “It’s lock.” The person from the other side said loudly. “ Maybe I should head to the security ahjussi for the keys…” Sungjin raised his eyebrow when the person, now he recognize as a girl, continued to talk loud enough for him (and his manager) to hear.

Kang manager quickly puts down the chair and head for the door. Before he unlocks the door though, he turns to Sungjin, eyes still glaring, “Don’t forget, you’re the leader. Let’s not tarnish your already ugly image, shall we?” With that, the manager opened the door and walk out without a word, bumping into the girl who had knocked.

“Eve-ssi…?” Sungjin gasps at the girl. Eve smiles faintly, “Some manager you got there.” She said. Sungjin closed his eyes and sank to the nearest chair. Eve invited herself in and closed the door.

 

 

 

 

A/n: Hey, so I'm back with a new chapter! Can you guys feel the pressure on Sungjin, yet? I hope you readers enjoyed this update. I'll be back with another one soon. See ya then =)