Chapter 4: Time Stopped

Crimson Pride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Knowing that her plans have succeeded, Seulgi knew not to let her greed cloud her judgement by fishing for the remaining scattered pearls. She motioned for Jongin to move on to tip over their next target as she made her way up onto her boat with the help of a rope, the climb was difficult especially with the added weight of her soaked robe. The boat had almost tipped over but she thanked her wits for having remembered placing weights on the other end of the boat. Once on the boat, Seulgi paddled quickly.

This was where the difficulty started, Jongin and her were becoming exhausted, the former more so because he had been waiting for his opportunity in the water for so long. Their next target was one that was so embroiled in fight that Seulgi knew there was no way they would notice what was coming for them.

As before, their plan worked flawlessly and unsuspectingly. This was how Seulgi liked it, to not attract attention to themselves and strike and achieve success even before the others could notice it. Before long, time was up, the two thieves were also almost on the limit of their stamina. Seulgi and Jongin had expectedly qualified for the third segment and despite their tired selves, they shared a wolfish grin as they bowed and waved before the cheering crowd who had a clear view of the competition.

Seulgi’s eyes roved to where the viewers stand was to take a better look at the judges and officials who had come down to watch intending to remember their faces. Then, Seulgi thought she caught sight of the lady who had occupied her mind day and night and felt her heart freeze for a moment. She squinted her eyes and looked again but there was no such lady in sight. Her eyes must have been playing tricks on her from the exhausting activity.

 

Winning the second segment further boosted Seulgi and Jongin’s popularity within their company of enlistees. They celebrated with an abundance of wine and stew with each of them receiving bone-crushing hugs and claps on their back from their comrades. Multiple times, Seulgi had to place her arms before her chest to prevent her comrades from noticing the extra padding on her chest and becoming suspicious but alas, all of them were in too good spirits and were too drunk to notice.

All things good however will come to an end, their partnership too, could only last this far and both Seulgi and Jongin knew it in their hearts.

“Bro, I will eat my socks if you do not win this competition.” Jongin slurred, as he took another swig from his wine jar.  

A sort of nostalgic smile crept into Seulgi’s face at those words. The girl had never expected herself to find comradeship so readily and was glad that she found it in Jongin, a loyal and capable elder brother figure. Yet, there was also the increased risk of being found out to be a disguised male with her being so close to another individual. Shaking away these unwarranted worries, the girl took a long swig from her own jar and made the unnecessary action of wiping with the back of her hand, like a male. Yes, this was right, Seulgi had been brought up like a male child and so she would be one.

“I would like to see you eat your socks.” Seulgi japed.

Jongin chuckled at that that and threw a playful punch at Seulgi’s arms and Seulgi returned with a violent one to Jongin’s ribs.

“Damn, that hurts. I think I am not having enough alcohol.” Jongin said, his words becoming more incoherent as they tumbled over one another. “By the way Seulgi, I would gladly eat socks all my life as long as I can serve the country with you.”

Seulgi laughed. “Sounds clingy.”

“No… just securing my future.” Jongin joked, a drunken smile slowly spreading across his face.  

“Don’t be childish.” Seulgi chided, the girl had grown up with a disciplined lifestyle and she felt good to have an elder brother undertake mad endeavours with her.

“I want to be a child all my life. I don’t want to see my country ruined.” Jongin mumbled then drifted off to sleep after he had finished his sentence.

Seulgi frowned upon hearing those words. The reason why she fought and will fight is because of family honour. Becoming an honourable son and eventually an heir to the Kang Family’s assets was what drove Seulgi to train hard all her life. Never has she put her mind to caring about the country. Little did she know that it was this exchange of conversation that Seulgi would have a new perspective in serving in the military. Putting the country’s interest before her own family’s… Perhaps she would truly become a different person after serving in the military because nothing beats real life experience. No matter how many war books she had read and no matter how hard she tried to picture herself in those situation, it could never match up to an actual execution. Seulgi shook her head. There were so many things to think about and she was still young. She could still afford to take time and learn all these things. For now, she would use her much needed rest and dream of the lady on the horse. Seulgi smiled drowsily to herself at that thought. It must be the alcohol taking effect..

**

It was only announced on that day of the third segment that it would be the usual showcasing of weapons mastery and combat skills. Of which, there would be archery, weapon’s combat, and unarmed combat. This, would have come as an exceptionally disappointing segment if not for the complexities in each of them.

Seulgi glowered at the ravenous wolf that stared back at her. Five arrows, she was to fire exactly five arrows and put exactly that number into the wolf’s body before it was allowed to die. This was, by far the greatest challenge for Seulgi. She had gone on hunting trips multiple times but it had always been a one shot one kill. That was mercy killing and it was in line with Seulgi’s beliefs. This Strategist must have been a twisted person to think up of such a cruel method to kill the animal.  

The animal however, driven by extreme hunger and seeming not to care about its impending fate, leapt forth, dispelling all sympathies Seu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter