Chapter 19: Enduring Love

Crimson Pride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The names of the five brother-in-arms were readily approved by the Crown, which was to be expected since they had already gained fame as very promising soldiers.

The Strategist had also finally accepted the fact that nothing could be changed. Together, with the Planning Committee, the Strategist had worked through sleepless nights to ensure that their plan was as close to perfect as possible.

Over the next three months, the five which had volunteered themselves for Crimson Pride had jokingly named themselves as the Prides. They studied books that the Princess and the Strategist had picked out for them which were mostly personal accounts about the Art of Spying, books which only the Royal library had possession of.

Seulgi, during that three months’ worth of time, had practised skills that she never thought she would acquire. Amongst which was the art of tapping conversations, blending of special invisible ink, and the use of codes. All of which they would have to impart to more hired spies in the land of Wei’Ya.

The five of them later learnt that their roles would be to act as overseers of local and inward spies and would be doing less of the ground work but more of ensuring that the spy work done by their hired spies was carried out smoothly. Nonetheless, to ensure greater chance of success, they would have to sign themselves up for the military service in Wei’Ya.

The Princess and Strategist, had made sure that they worked in layers which was much safer, with only the most trusted hired spies getting direct access to the Captains, then to the Lieutenant Colonel and finally, the Colonel.

Once in the Wei’Ya, they would drop a character from each of their names when they communicate using letters and replace it with another character. This was to prevent themselves from being found out but at the same time, provide themselves with a safety route should they require authentication amongst themselves should they be forced to use a different name but with the same retained character.

Coincidentally, everyone in the Prides had a virtue character in their names, all but Seulgi. Jongin’s was Compassion, Chanyeol’s was Strength, Baekhyun’s was Intelligence, and Kyungsoo’s was Honour. All these virtues would therefore also be changed to synonyms when they sign off in their letters to each other. Seulgi’s one would however be an object, which was also coincidentally, the most treasured stone, Jade. It all seemed eerily apt, as if their fates were pre-determined.

During that three months, the two couples also made their relationship more pronounced amongst their clique because the Princess and the Strategist had become so clingy that it was near impossible for anyone to not notice. The Princess was particularly emotional and would sometimes have to excuse herself as she was unable to continue with their strategic planning.

 

The day finally neared when the five of them would enter Wei’Ya. The night before, Joohyun had spent her night with Seulgi. The dynamics of their relationship was still the same as before but they became less careful with their touches ever since Seulgi’s true gender was exposed.

Joohyun would sometimes become too eager with her explorations with the Colonel’s body, even sliding her tiny hands beneath her leather vest, that sometimes the Colonel found it hard to resist, but Seulgi had to. Their kisses were bolder and their bodies were plastered more closely to each other than before. Yet, Seulgi was adamant on refusing to take away Joohyun’s maidenhead until after Crimson Pride. This, Seulgi said, would be a source of motivation for her to return safely.

Joohyun had cried of course, and Seulgi could tell even no matter how hard the Strategist tried to hide it. Going through the plans and repeating words of caution, the Strategist's state of nervousness was becoming all too obvious.

“Trust me, Joohyun, I will be coming back alive, just trust me,” Seulgi assured as she rubbed her Strategist’s shoulders to soothe her.

“You’d better. I will never forgive you if you don’t,” Joohyun warned, her expression serious which the Colonel found extremely adorable.  

“What will you do if I really don’t?” Seulgi joked and received multiple punches to her arms from the Strategist.

“Stop joking around. I will die, immediately, then the country will go to shambles and it will be your fault,” the Strategist scolded as she continued hitting the Colonel.  

Seulgi laughed as she caught the Strategist’s right fist, opened her hand and stuffed the memento that she had prepared for her. 

 

“What is this?” Joohyun asked irritably before she inspected the gift.

Once she had her palm opened, she knew right away what it was and she had to bite her lips to prevent those tears of emotion from appearing. It was a piece of leather, and it was none other than from the vest Seulgi always wore. What touched her heart however, were the words carved on it; Enduring Love. The most important promise that Seulgi had vowed to keep.

Seulgi then guided Joohyun’s hand to her chest, to where the leather piece was cut out from, where her heart was. Joohyun felt emotions as she over the area and felt the stitches to patch up the missing piece.

Swallowing the lump that had formed in , she threw her body into Seulgi’s arms as she said once more, “I will not tolerate for any results besides you returning alive.”

“I know, I know, I promise I would.” The Colonel replied, meaning every word she said.

Silence descended upon them as they took comfort in each other’s embrace then Joohyun in a deep breath before she spoke again, “I will not see you off tomorrow, lest I change my mind about letting you go.”

Joohyun heard Seulgi swallow and saw the crestfallen expression on her Colonel’s face which quickly changed into that of a serious one.

“Okay, another motivating factor for me to return safely,” the Colonel said coo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter