Chapter 32: Farewells

Crimson Pride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sending a brother off was already difficult, but to send two more off, made Seulgi’s heart especially heavy. It was only two months ago since Baekhyun had departed from this world, a month since Jongin left the Elite Troop to join the Royal Guards, and now Chanyeol had left too.

Seulgi felt as though a part of her had died each time her brothers left her side. However, she knew that she had to let them go, because it was inevitable and as long as she knew they would be in a better place, she would be happy for them.

There was only Kyungsoo left by Seulgi’s side now, the quiet Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo who always seemed to be swept along with the current of events but Seulgi knew otherwise. Kyungsoo may have been an innocent soldier when he entered the Elite Troop with Jongin and herself but he too, had changed a lot, and was perhaps even tougher than all of them.

Before leaving, Chanyeol had promised that he would be keeping in contact with Seulgi as best as possible but Seulgi truly doubted that. Especially when it would only risk their discovery. The General would have to be the proactive one in keeping contact with them. Brothers for life, they had promised each other.

The Princess and Joohyun had also spent three undisturbed nights together. They too, had their own memories to reminisce and new promises to keep. From what Seulgi knew, Joohyun had even picked out a few names for the couple’s unborn child and Seungwan had liked so many that she was having trouble choosing.

The elopement plan was flawlessly executed and with the help of Seulgi, the Elite Troop only began looking for them three days later. It seemed as if the Fourth Prince had a hand in helping his sister escape as well even though he had not explicitly told the General.

Joohyun had, as expected, shed many tears but refused to do so before the General. The reason for her tears was not only the departure of her friend but also the discovery and confirmation of the Lord Commander’s sickness. His sickness had rapidly deteriorated suddenly and only recovered slightly after.

During that few harsh days, Seulgi had accompanied by Joohyun’s side in the Lord Commander’s tent, tending to his every need. Joohyun knew her father’s days could be numbered but she refused to give up hope as she pored through volumes after volumes of medical books hoping that a miracle would happen. This worried Seulgi greatly and each night, the General would Joohyun wherever she went whenever possible, back to her tent and ensuring that she was safely tucked in to sleep. It was a fortunate thing because an assassination attempt finally struck upon the Strategist.

After Crimson Pride, it always nagged at Seulgi’s mind how Wei’Ya might retaliate and do the same to their enemy countries. The Strategist, will be at the most risk and that has been a constant cause of worry for Seulgi. Never would Seulgi have expected however, that the assassin was the General Zitao of Wei’Ya himself.

“Don’t sleep too late tonight, Joohyun,” Seulgi reminded.

Joohyun nodded, but Seulgi could tell from Joohyun’s eyes that she did not intend to follow Seulgi’s words. The General escorted the Strategist into her tent and decided that she would stay the night. In that instant she entered, the General sensed a presence, a malicious one and one that sent her instincts on high alert.

It was odd, the sentries outside the Strategist tent were the same as usual. Seulgi had hoped she had been overreacting because everything in the tent seemed normal, or perhaps not. The General finally realised what seemed amiss. Joohyun’s wardrobe had been shifted by several inches.

“General, I am really going to rest early tonight, please, have a good rest too,” the Strategist said tiredly.

Trying to act as if nothing was wrong, Seulgi smiled and returned jokingly, “You don’t want me in your room tonight?”

As if reminded of the first time they had made love, Joohyun blushed. Ever since that first time, the two of them had been too busy with their own affairs to enjoy more late night activities with one another.

“It’s not that… it’s just… you have accompanied me for so many nights… you must be tired,” Joohyun said convincingly and tried pushing Seulgi out of her tent. Naturally, Seulgi resisted a little.  

The General did not know which frustrated her more, that Joohyun did not want her company or that Joohyun had failed to read Seulgi’s mind. There was no choice but to let Joohyun know of her suspicion but to do so without the alerting the assassin or assassins, there was only one way. Seulgi gripped Joohyun’s arm firmly and pulled her closer, the action was so sudden that Joohyun had crashed into her chest but it did not matter. The General, on the pretence of kissing the Strategist then whispered into her ear instead.

 

“Assassins,” Seulgi said softly and followed up with a kiss to her temple.

Joohyun’s found her own body stiffen with fear. Not fear for her own life but fear for their lives. The Strategist hated this, she hated to feel so threatened especially since they had already been through so many life or death situations.

This was unlike the first time when Seulgi had been a Captain when she saved Joohyun. Back then, Joohyun had been fearless, haughty even, but she had grown warier and more timid over these few years. She clung onto her General and whispered back, “don’t even try to take them on alone. Please…”  

Her blood froze when her General shook her head with that stubborn expression she always wore. Joohyun wanted to scream at her General but she could not because that would only doom the both of them. She knew the reason her General would not ask for help, because there might just be more assassins laying in ambush but how many more and how many are in her tent now? Joohyun would blame herself for not training herself up to become more proficient in using combats and lend more help to Seulgi.

 

“Stay with me,” Seulgi whispered sternly.

Joohyun held on to Seulgi tightly, both their eyes darted about the tent as they pretended to make out. Nothing else besides the cupboard was out of place, but Seulgi was certain the assassin or the assassins must not have been in the cupboard. It was only shifted to mask the hole in the tent, the hole that the assassin or assassins have gotten in through. There was only one other place, under the bed, again. The General wanted to laugh at their predictability but had to restrain herself from doing so.

This assassin however, had not waited for Seulgi to plunge her sword through the bed boards before he showed himself. Much to Seulgi’s surprise, there was only one assassin under the bed and it was someone Seulgi knew, Zitao. Seulgi was rudely shocked for a second when faced with the devious intruder and had only shoved Joohyun away from their fight upon instincts.

“Bastard!” Zitao shouted as he lunged at Seulgi but Seulgi dodged. Her level of alertness to her surroundings surged to new heights. Constantly ensuring that Joohyun was not within their sparring radius but at the same time, not too far away from her.

Then, Seulgi, heard the sound of bodies falling to the ground from outside the tent and knew that the G

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter