Chapter 27: Still Brothers

Crimson Pride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It took only two weeks before Seulgi had deemed herself fully recovered and resumed her duties. This time, as a General. Perhaps one of the youngest ever General in Qi’An’s history. It was a title that had burdened her but at the same time could be use to her great advantage. The members of the Kang Family, for one, according to his brother, had become more subdued ever since they had been pardoned and with Seulgi’s title as General, they had become even meeker. Seulgi prayed that it would not be temporary, especially not since she had plans with Joohyun.

Plucking her thoughts away from family matters momentarily, a small smile then graced the General’s face as she received news about her brothers.

All the Prides, besides being handsomely rewarded with whatever they have requested, were also promoted to accommodate the needs of the growing numbers of the Elite Troop. Previously there had been only one Lieutenant Colonel, now there were three, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo.

Seulgi had not known what had happened between Chanyeol and Baekhyun but the two rarely conversed ever since they got back from the mission. This appeared extremely odd to the newly-made General because Chanyeol and Baekhyun had been the best of buddies before, despite their frequent squabbles. Seulgi’s memory then went back to Chanyeol’s discussion with her about his plans of eloping with the Princess. Was Chanyeol serious about his plans? Have Chanyeol perhaps already disclosed his plans to Baekhyun? If so, when is it going to happen?

Her thoughts were disrupted as Jongin, who had just been promoted to the position of the Colonel announced his visit. A long sigh was drawn out from Seulgi’s lips.

“Enter.”

Jongin strode in with his broad chest squared and his spine as straight as a rod. The Colonel’s face had obtained a sharp look to it over the past year; his jaws were more angular and his eyes had a kind of cynical quality to it. A year and three months of spying activities must have changed him, changed all of them.

Seulgi then the wound that was still healing across her face. There would undoubtedly be a scar. It would be a lie to say that Seulgi did not mind her appearance being marred like that, especially when her Strategist looked so pretty. Such feelings of inferiority were hard to ignore at the beginning and it was only Joohyun’s constant assurance that she looked even more handsome with the scar that Seulgi felt better.

“General, how have you been?”   

“Better than yesterday, thank you for asking, Colonel.”

“Since when have we become so civil, General?”

Seulgi clenched her fist beneath the table. She could vaguely recall what the Colonel had said to her when she had been on the horseback with Jongin, suffering from her crippling injury.

“Hang on, Seulgi. You cannot leave just like that, I have not told you my feelings yet.”

The General cringed as she thought about those words. Those words from Jongin definitely meant something else beyond brotherly feelings that Seulgi thought they shared all these times. Coupled with Jongin’s actions the night before assassination was to take place, Seulgi became more certain that Jongin truly liked her. Seulgi would not allow this relationship to happen and it seemed as though Jongin came here with the same intent as well.

“Anyway, the Fourth Prince has offered me a position amongst the Royal Guards. I have decided to take it up,” Jongin paused, seeming to gauge the reaction from the General before he continued, “The position will be available three months from now, so you can still order me around for three months.” The Colonel then flash his usual wolfish grin when he was done speaking.

Shutting her eyes, Seulgi tried to figure out what she was feeling. She had known Jongin for close to five years now and they were brothers who had been through thick and thin. The thought of not having Jongin to aid by her side seemed pretty unimaginable. Yet, all she could do was to let him go, in good faith. At least he was serving by the Fourth Prince’s side, they would probably still be in the same camp and catch up with each other together with the other brothers from time to time.

“I wish you all the best, brother,” Seulgi extended a hand as she spoke, like the very first time she did so five years ago, except there was more blood on both their hands now.   

“I wish you all the best too, brother, with the Strategist,” Jongin said, the wide wolfish grin unfaltering and Seulgi knew he meant it.

Perhaps this was not the end of their brotherhood, but a new start. Now with Jongin’ matters settled, there was still Chanyeol and Baekhyun. The General tented her fingers and rested her chin on them as she pondered over who she should speak to first.  

An hour later, Lieutenant Colonel Baekhyun was summoned into the General’s tent. Baekhyun too, had acquired a matured look as compared to before but was still the most jovial-looking amongst them five. Seulgi was reminded of how Baekhyun was the most promiscuous in recruiting the spies amongst all of them and wondered how could the male remained so unaffected yet be so affected by Chanyeol’s act of betrayal.

Baekhyun looked around the tent, as if surprised that he was the only one in it. “Either I am receiving some military punishment or I have done exceptionally well, General, can you please enlighten me?” Baekhyun joked with a naughty smile on his face.

The General could not help but let out a low chuckle. “Neither, Baekhyun, I am here to discuss personal matters with you. Take a seat, this will take some time.”

The Lieutenant Colonel peered around, as if he still did n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter