Chapter 28: The Lord Commander

Crimson Pride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi stood at attention as the Lord Commander regarded her from head to toe with those stern eyes of his. Now standing right before the Lord Commander, Seulgi figured that Joohyun must have gotten her petite body frame from her maternal side. The Lord Commander was a really large man, with thick veiny limbs, an equally thick neck and a hard face. A face which was sunbeaten and told tales of war.

Despite having seen the Lord Commander and even interacted with the legendary character many times before, Seulgi was very anxious. It had been an extremely long time since Seulgi felt this nervous before anyone besides the Strategist herself. It was usually Seulgi’s role to judge and scrutinise others, not the other way around. The worst thing was that her Joohyun was in the same tent as her, sniggering to herself every now and then.

“My daughter is right, you are a pretty good-looking lad. A bit too pretty for my liking but still… my daughter has a penchant for pretty things,” The Lord Commander commented. Seulgi had duly noted from a long time ago that the Lord Commander’s large body frame was complemented by a deep and rich bass voice, one that could easily command respect from its men. Yet, to hear his voice so up close and listen to him speak about personal affairs felt surreal to Seulgi.

“Father!” Joohyun cried exasperatedly, snapping both her man and woman to attention.

The Lord Commander, after having being slightly startled by his daughter’s cry then cleared his throat before letting out a defeated sigh.

“You look pretty gentle, I am surprised you can handle my daughter’s wilful character,” the Lord Commander remarked and later added, “you are the second son of Master Kang, aren’t you?”

Keeping her expression serious as serious as she could muster, Seulgi nodded.

“I have heard a lot of things about your family,” the Lord Commander spoke, implication thick in his tone.

Seulgi knew the Lord Commander was referring to her family’s messy affairs. The most recent being the trade scandal that had embroiled their entire family with the law.  

“Not all characters in my family are pleasant, sir,” Seulgi replied tersely and had not expected the Lord Commander to bellow in laughter.

“So I have heard, so I have heard.” The Lord Commander then turned to his daughter and asked, “and you are willing to be embroiled into the affairs at the Kang Manor?”

 

Joohyun, who had been enjoying herself as she watched her father grill Seulgi, had not expected herself to be directed a question, what more, one which she had not seriously considered. The Strategist had always thought her life would be in the military and she would stay in here for a very long time however things would be different if her father had asked Seulgi to marry her. But when she stole a glance in Seulgi’s direction, she saw a flicker of interest in the General’s eyes. Could Seulgi perhaps be looking forward to hearing her answer as well…

The Strategist chided herself mentally, she had completely forgot her own teachings of anticipating things before others, so much for being a War Strategist. Now she was before Seulgi and faced with her father’s question, she would just make up a witty reply and think about the question seriously later.

“Who said I would be marrying the General for certain? He has not even asked for my hand and besides, father, are you belittling me? I can handle domestic affairs just as well as war manoeuvres.”   

The Lord Commander cleared his throat audibly and shot his daughter a look of disapproval as he shook his head.

Seulgi’s face was kept straight but there seemed to be something else reflected in those eyes of hers. Joohyun thought it might have been disappointment

“My daughter has always gotten her way. Young man, you sure you can handle her?” The Lord Commander asked again.

“I know that, sir. I will give let her have her way if she is right,” Seulgi gave another succinct reply and knew Joohyun knew she must have pleased her father when he roared with laughter again.

“And if she isn’t right?” Her father asked. A trap.

Joohyun winced a little at her father’s insinuations, she was dreading the response so much so that she could not look at either person in their eyes. There was a pregnant pause as Seulgi seemed to consider those words with a lot of thoughts.

“Then I will give in to her only because I love her,” Seulgi finally replied with so much honesty and sincerity that the Lord Commander was baffled for her moment.

Joohyun bit her lips, trying to not reveal her emotions. Over the years they have been together, Seulgi had given in to her so many times, and given her so much love. Every single moment of those, Joohyun had captured it in her mind and stored it in her heart. From their smallest everyday bickering to their greatest disagreements over the course of Proposal Crimson Pride, those were all evidences of Seulgi’s genuine words to her father.

Enduring love… The Strategist smiled as she the leather piece gifted by the General that was now hung around her waist, shown off proudly to the world. I will love you forever… Kang Seulgi…

After several more pauses in the atmosphere, her father finally spoke again, “General, then I pray you continue to give my daughter the love she demands and protect her with your life, as she will protect yours with hers.”

Swallowing the lump that had formed in this time round, the Strategist was beginning to wonder why she was the one feeling the multitude of emotions when these two persons were supposedly the primary characters of the day. Never in so many years had Joohyun been moved by her father’s words. The Strategist was certain that the situation that was right before her now; of two persons whom she loved more than anything in this world, demonstrating their love for her in simple words, would be etched deeply into her memory.

The Lord Commander’s hand was placed on her General’s shoulders, like how a father would treat his son. A smile broke out on the Strategist’s face without herself knowing.

That night, they had dinner together in the Lord Commander’s tent, a peaceful affair. Her father was extremely pleased with Seulgi’s politeness and humility, that he could not help but his praises every now and then. Fortunately, the talk about having kids never came up again. That topic would undoubtedly be an awkward for Seulgi and the Strategist would hate to make Seulgi feel bad for anything. Joohyun was also glad that her father had not given undue attention to the scar that was across Seulgi’s face. In fact, the only time her father did, it was to tell him that men should live with a few visible scars because women secretly find them attractive. To which, Joohyun could not help but roll her eyes.

 

After their dinner, Joohyun left the Lord Commander’s tent with her General. They were supposed to whisper sweet nothings to each other but that day was different as a messenger had been sent to convey of a letter of war declaration from Wei’Ya.

Unfortunately, right after Crown Prince Yifan’s death, they had immediately appointed another Crown Prince, Crown Prince Yixing, the younger brother of Yifan. The newly-appointed Crown Prince had been involved in the war with Ni’Xin for more than ten years. During that time, he had severely weaken Ni’Xin’s defences and encroached heavily into his enemy’s territory.

All these time however, he had been lying low for fear of stealing his elder’s brother glory and invite unnecessary strife with the then-Crown Prince. That, made it a clear indication to the Strategist that this new Crown Prince would not be easy to deal with. Besides, there was little that Joohyun knew about him and that made him an even more dangerous foe. To deliver a war declaration so shortly after his brother’s death… what did it mean? Had they failed to trick Wei’Ya that Prince Yifan’s death was caused by Ni’Xin?

Whatever it was, Joohyun was not feeling too confident about this challenge. She directed her attention to Seulgi who had read and reread the declaration multiple times as well, with a deep crease between her brows.

Usually, the Strategist would not involve the Elite Troop in such wars but this was different and Joohyun required the General’s inputs on this.

“The Elite Troop should take part in this,” Seulgi said as she finally set down the letter even before the Strategist had opened .

Exactly Joohyun’s intents as well but she was curious to know how the General would deploy the Elite Troops but reckon that the General would have to discuss these with Colonel Jongin before she could give an an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter