Chapter 21: Lethal Games

Crimson Pride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has been another year since they departed from Qi’An. One full year of non-stop work for the Prides as they fervently recruited people who were only too eager to rat on their own country. Seulgi had frowned upon the actions of these people of Wei’Ya right from the beginning, especially during her first month of reaching the enemy land. The people here did not know what loyalty meant or perhaps, it was the Crown’s fault because all the people’s resources have been directed to the army but they did not go to the soldier’s wages. No wonder there was such strong resentment amongst the people here.

Wei’Ya was totally unlike Qi’An despite them speaking a common language with only slight variations in their accents. True to her first impression of the country, Wei’Ya was a very superficial state, who prizes only people based on superficial quality.

An instance was the selections for their military men. Seulgi still held a grudge for being mocked at by the Colonel, who had now become the General, for being too small-sized to join them. They had almost gotten into trouble when Jongin had almost blown up before the then Colonel Zitao and if not for Chanyeol’s honeyed words, their mission might have already failed back then.      

It also only required pressing several coins to several soldiers to be made a small Garrison Commander. Then through a series of planning with the Prides of saving the Crown Prince Yifan from several flying knives thrown by “assassins”, who were in fact men, hired by the Prides. Alas, Seulgi finally advanced to become a Colonel, a close aide, and even a confidante to the Crown Prince. It was a really dangerous manoeuvre, but fortunately they had succeeded. Seulgi was certain that if her Joohyun had heard about how they had gotten Seulgi to become the Colonel, the Strategist would have nagged at her to death.

Day and night, Seulgi was by the Crown Prince’s side, even privy to the Crown Prince’s most classified conversations. Crown Prince Yifan really liked Seulgi, perhaps because he thought that the Colonel was a fast learner. However, Seulgi’s feelings for the Crown Prince was one that was in between admiration and loathe. Prince Yifan was a brilliant Strategist as well but he was extremely brutal. Countless of times, to convince the Crown Prince that she was loyal, Seulgi had to slaughter helpless women and children. Seulgi had become disgusted with herself every time she was forced to do so but she had to tell herself that it was all to keep up her façade of being the ruthless but obedient Colonel. The kind of person that the Crown Prince would like to have by his side.  

Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo had also been doing extremely well with overseeing the reporting of spy reports back to Qi’An. In fact, their efforts had been so commendable that they had actually become the Crown Prince’s unknown source of annoyance. Plans after plans of the Crown Prince’s had been foiled because of the intelligence they had gathered. One of the most notable was the ambush at a valley by Wei’Ya troops. They never thought that they would have been counter-ambushed by the Qi’An’s Elite Troops. Seulgi remembered the day the Crown Prince had thrown his crown in fury but she felt no joy from it, only pity for the lives lost, as always. The Crown Prince too, was not furious because of the loss of his men, but because he had lost.

To Prince Yifan, war was a game, one that he wanted to prevail in and because of him, the feudal wars were prolonged. No matter how many treaties of peace were sent to him from Qi’An and Ni’Xin, the Crown Prince had ignored them.    

 

That night, Seulgi and General Zitao had paid a visit to the Crown Prince’s tent to make a special report about the Prince’s younger brother, Prince Yixing’s battles with Ni’Xin. Wei’Ya had lost many men and had only managed to capture several border cities. It was a losing battle for both countries, a huge cause for worry because they were bleeding too much resources.

The Crown Prince had listened to the report without giving much reaction. Then moments later, the Crown Prince had ordered both the General Zitao and Seulgi to stay to watch the Minister and himself play a game of Go.

“Seulgi, come over here, tell me what my next move should be,” the Crown Prince beckoned the soldier over and tapped on the gameboard.

The Crown Prince was playing favourites. Seulgi could hear the General in a deep breath when the Prince had called for her instead of him.

The Colonel walked over and surveyed the game as instructed. Seulgi frowned as she pretended to think hard about her options when in fact, she already knew where the Prince should place his pieces.

“Come on, Colonel, I’ve taught you this three months back, do not disappoint me before my Minister,” the Crown Prince teased.

Contrary to what the Crown Prince believed about Seulgi being the child of a peasant and having grown up with little to no knowledge about other arts, Seulgi was a rather competent Go player. Back when she had been in Qi’An, she had even been challenged by her Strategist and won a few matches against her. Seulgi smiled fondly but had to push the memory back to her mind as she returned her attention to the Go board and the Crown Prince’s question.

“Here?” Seulgi said with a little uncertainty in her voice.

The Crown Prince gave a crooked smile as he placed his piece where Seulgi had indicated. “We shall see, we shall see. Stand beside me to watch and learn.”

Seulgi nodded. The Colonel could feel the General fuming in the background. This was an insult to the General and one that, Seulgi knew, she would have to pay for sometime in the future.

General Zitao, had the ideal body built that every Wei’Ya soldier should have with an equally cruel-looking face as the Crown Prince. Coupled with his family’s personal relationship to the Crown, and with enough wits he was able to rise through the ranks quickly. However, Seulgi had found out that his promotions also involved the eradication of the predecessors of his roles via underhanded methods. It should not come as a surprise for Seulgi because this seemed to be the way for the people of Wei’Ya. Yet, because of their ranks and also the General’s once-close relationship with the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter