Chapter 33: Master and Madam Kang

Crimson Pride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi rubbed the sleep from her eyes before looking up from her parchment to where the Strategist slept. A deep and almost permanent crease appeared in between Joohyun’s brows even while she was asleep and the General felt the same crease deepening on her own face.

Caring for the sickly Lord Commander must have tired the Strategist out badly. Seulgi only wished she was also in bed, to warm and afford comfort for Joohyun but alas, she still had work to do.

The General sighed then continued with reading the parchment. Her desk was a mess with parchments, scrolls and books spilled over it. These were all materials that were used by the Crimson Pride Committee during the planning.

Proposal Crimson Pride Two. This would be the defining proposal of Seulgi’s career, possible her last and if not done properly, could unmake her, and everyone else she had involved in it. Who knew that Seulgi would take on the role of a strategist as well.

A tired smile graced Seulgi’s features as she read the sheaf of notes that was left behind by the Princess before her elopement. It was the holy bible of the court’s affairs, the architecture, the court subjects, the royals themselves. Information that Seulgi could use for her planning. Trust the Princess to be so cognisant on things. Too bad her condition had not allowed her to follow through with the proposal. It offered Seulgi slight comfort upon learning that at least Chanyeol and the Princess could finally lead a simply and happy life of their own. Soon, it would be their turn. She just had one more thing on her plate…

The Lord Commander.

 **

The Lord Commander had been plagued by another set of hacking cough when Seulgi had entered the tent.

Seulgi’s expression was serious. It had only been a few months prior when the Lord Commander stood in the battlefield along with them but now he had looked tired, frail even.

“General, why have you come to visit so late into the night?”

“Lord Commander, may I propose something audacious to you?”

Assaulted by another set of nasty coughs again, it took several moments before the Lord Commander could reply. He had wiped of the red spittle urgently, as if afraid that Seulgi would see it and report back to the Strategist.

“What is it? If it is about asking for my daughter’s hand that you know full well that I have already approved of you. In fact, I am thankful that that wilful daughter of mine has found someone she can depend on when I am gone…”

Seulgi felt her heart clench a little at the Lord Commander’s words as it had reminded her so much of her own father. The General must have looked emotional because the Lord Commander had paused right then.

“I shall not start assuming things as my Joohyun always liked to accuse me of. What is it, General? Why have you come to visit?”

Clearing and mustering her most courageous expression, Seulgi finally let on her proposal. By the end of it, the Lord Commander blinked. Once, twice and then smiled.

“Have you truly considered it thoroughly?” The Lord Commander had asked her.

Seulgi nodded.

“Very well, please go ahead with your plans with my Joohyun, I have no objections,” the Lord Commander said.

Seulgi bowed her head once and paced about the room slowly before turning to meet the Lord Commander's eyes. 

“Lord Commander, my ideas include you as well,” Seulgi returned with resoluteness in her eyes.

Then, Seulgi saw the first warning signs of the Lord Commander’s displeasure with his dagger-like stares. In that moment, Seulgi was truly reminded of Joohyun’s own deadly stares as well and braced herself.

“Please come along with us, Joohyun would want us to take care of you,” Seulgi explained further.

Waving a hand dismissively, the Lord Commander said, “I don’t need anyone to take care of me, my place is with the military, amongst my men.”

The Lord Commander’s coughs returned with a vengeance and his entire body quaked with the force of it. As Seulgi lunged forward to help him, the Lord Commander had put up a hand to halt Seulgi and after wiping the bloodied spittle from the corner of his mouth. The old man then held onto Seulgi’s hand, which was so much slimmer and tenderer compared to the Lord Commander’s one.

“Take good care of my Joohyun. I know you will do just that, but I want you to promise me,” the Lord Commander asked of Seulgi.

Seulgi felt something caught in and she had to clear it before she spoke. “Sir, I will, but you really must come with us.”

The Lord Commander inhaled deeply once more. “I will not.”

It was also then that Seulgi realised that the Lord Commander’s stubbornness rivalled his daughter’s. However, he was still Joohyun's father and that would also mean that the Lord Commander was someone she could reason with.

“Lord Commander, someone once told me to not be a fool and if all Generals and Colonels were to take on the risk themselves, there would be no capable man to lead the troop. What I mean to say is that sometimes… certain wars should be left to people who are more capable than we are and our place might be retired to elsewhere more suitable for us, to help the country in whatever way possible. Lord Commander, you would be very much more useful to the country if you could recuperate and lend your experience to the army in future.”

“I do not need to guess that the person who told you that was my daughter,” the Lord Commander said with his eyes narrowed.

Seulgi managed a wry smile as she nodded. “Indeed, it is your daughter, sir.”

The Lord Commander grunted. “I believe she is the only one who could say that to you.”

Seulgi laughed unrestrainedly. “Yes, sir. She had loved and cared so much for me that she would stop at nothing to drum senses into me.”

“Young man, are you suggesting that you would stop at nothing to drum senses into me too?”

Seulgi nodded.

Bellowing in laughter, the Lord Commander clapped the back of Seulgi’s chest. “You can be really bold. I guess that was what my Joohyun saw in you.”

Seulgi managed a smile despite the severity of the situation. The serious expression returned as Seulgi implored the Lord Commander. 

“Please, Joohyun would need you by her side too, Father,” Seulgi jaws and chest tightened as that last word left .

The Lord Commander's body went rigid and his eyes widened just the slightest bit. Later, Seulgi noticed that his mouth had quirked upwards and that was when she knew, that the trump card that she had played, succeeded. 

Father. 

**

“Prince Sehun, may I enter?” General Seulgi asked humbly.

“Please enter, General,” a reply from the Prince came.

Seulgi strode in and the first person she saw was Jongin, standing beside the Fourth Prince, his expression all serious as they discussed about the mission that would take place. Prince Sehun gave a fierce grin to Seulgi before inviting her to sit, Jongin too, did the same, and Seulgi returned it with a slight smile. Her eyes roved around the heavy desk and from the drawings, knew what the Prince and his Royal Guard was discussing about. An uneasy smile involuntarily found its way into Seulgi’s face.

Seulgi leant back into her chair as the Prince and Jongin wrapped up their current discussion to include General.

“General, I am terribly sorry, we were finalising the plans. By the way, where is our Lady Strategist?”

“She is still caring for the Lord Commander but will arrive shortly,” Seulgi said in an apologetic tone.

“Ah… yes, it is fine, we understand,” Sehun replied and then he took a seat opposite Seulgi.

Minutes later, Joohyun came in, looking wearier than usual and Seulgi could not help but feel worry. Soon, Joohyun would feel less tired soon. The arrival of the Strategist marked the beginning of their meeting with Prince Sehun leading the discussion.

“Proposal Crimson Pride Two,” the Prince began and Seulgi felt her stomach stir as her mind was brought back to the first time they had a meeting about the first Crimson Pride Proposal. So nostalgic… It felt like an irony that Seulgi was the one who had insinuated the Fourth Prince to plan this Proposal with her when Seulgi had suffered so much from the first.

During her years in the military and from Crimson Pride, Seulgi had learnt that leadership was key in any war and for the betterment of the country. Therefore, Crimson Pride Two, would be a scheme to eliminate a key leader in this war, and that person was none other than the Crown Prince of Qi’An, Sehun’s brother, Luhan. The Crown Prince who would eventually ascend the throne should nothing be done and with the Emperor in such poor health, the ascension could be any day. Seulgi could foresee what would happen to Qi’An if the good-for-nothing Prince became the Emperor. No matter how many wars were won by them, it would be futile if the Emperor was corrupt or incompetent.

Seulgi’s attention kept panning to Joohyun throughout the whole discussion. The Strategist had been listening intently, her brows creasing the entire time. At least this time round, Joohyun could be rest assured that Seulgi would not be doing the dangerous work however should anything go wrong, they would have to bear the responsibility. Which was why the Strategist was there to contribute to plans to deflect any fault on them. As expected of the Strategist, the ideas that she came up with were unorthodox but nonetheless extremely convincing, proof that her cunning mind had not dulled but only became sharper.

Seulgi was also glad that she had not killed the assassin Zitao in a surge of rage months before because they would need to use him as a scapegoat now.

“This would be the perfect ploy to motivate Qi’An’s soldiers to take revenge upon the Crown Prince’s death,” Seulgi had convinced the rest with a dry smile.

The meeting ended shortly, with all written traces burnt for fear that they would leave evidences. Everything was in their mind and nowhere else.     

“By the way, is there no way I can convince the two of you to stay?” Prince Sehun asked suddenly, his eyes especially trained on Joohyun. Seulgi would have felt a little jealous if the Prince had looked at her Strategist in that way a few years ago but right now she just felt a little sorry for the Prince. The General knew that Prince Sehun had harboured a secret fondness for Joohyun since they were young but Joohyun had never requited such feelings.

Prince Sehun was a truly lonely character especially now since the Princess, his sister, had left his side and now Seulgi was about to wrest Joohyun away from military life.

The Strategist looked to Seulgi and the General met her gaze with understanding.

“I am sorry, Sehun, but I am afraid it is not possible,” Joohyun replied, tiredness evident in her voice again as she turned to give a sad smile to the Prince.

“Okay, I understand. Take care of your health,” the Prince said and took a step forth as if hesitant about giving Joohyun a hug, then deciding otherwise, he stuck out his hand.

Joohyun smiled genially as she took it. “I will see you when I see you, Prince Sehun.”

Jongin had stepped forward too, his eyes entirely trained on Seulgi’s as he stuck out his hand.

“I will remain by Prince Sehun’s side, be rest assured,” Jongin said then after a tentative moment, flashed his wolfish grin, “our brotherhood’s ties will not end here.”

Seulgi’s heart swelled at Jongin’s words. Five years… of course it would not end just like that. “I believe in your capabilities to aid the Prince. Take very good care of yourself, I will see you when I see you too.”

**

 

Now as Joohyun lay in Seulgi’s arms, the Strategist could not help but guess what t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter