Ornaments

Crayons

 

Hectic barely described the type of week they had. On Monday afternoon, Sungjae started having a fever that dragged itself through the day, making the little boy blurry eyed and tired. Fortunately, Jeongyeon was able to take the afternoon off, a friend of hers being able to replace her at school so she could take care of the little one while Nayeon worked, December is always the busiest month at the company.

Luckily by Tuesday, Sungjae was all better, bright smiles in the morning as he munched on double stuffed chocolate nutella pancaked, an exception Nayeon had made because the sight of her sick little boy was not something she could cope with. Chocolate stained grins were much better than coughing red cheeks.

On Wednesday night, Nayeon's photoshoot had lasted till late, that the models were practically falling asleep standing. By the time she got home, it was 2am, her son tucked into bed snoring soflty, even  Jeongyeon was sleeping soundly, nothing but the soft light of the bedside table indicating any presence of life.

Slipping into bed, Nayeon grumbled uncomfortably as she wrapped herself around Jeongyeon, annoyed that she had missed out on some precious time with her family. At least she knew that by the weekend she’d be free of scheduled photoshoots, and Sungjae and Jeongyeon would be all she had to think about, which she was grateful for.

Thursday was uneventful thankfully, Sungjae and Jeongyeon made mess of the kitchen as they baked Christmas cookies and ate them was the most exciting thing that happened that day.

When Friday finally rolled around, Nayeon was the happiest person in the world. The minute she stepped foot out the company, the world seemed to finally fall into place. The exhaustion that had been drowning her for weeks vanished instantly, her entire body feeling lighter as she walked towards the train, taking her phone out to call Jeongyeon.

“photoshoot's all done?” Jeongyeon asked without greeting, her voice filled with undying happiness.

“Completely,” laughed Nayeon, walking down the stairs towards the underground to the subway “I’m about to lose you cause I’m going into the subway but, just wanted to hear your voice.”

“Anytime,” answered Jeongyeon, a smile very evident in her voice. “I’ll see you later at home, k?”

“Yeah,” she replied, the connection becoming fuzzy she stopped, wanting to say goodbye.

“See you later, love.”

"Later babe" replied Jeongyeon in happy sing song voice before hanging up.

-

“You can't be serious?” Nayeon asked in  disbelief as she stepped into the apartment  coming face to face with a giant pine tree that almost touched the ceiling, the smell of it invading her nose. There were tiny like needles all over the floor, towels pushed clumsily under the tree to capture the melting snow.

“I thought we were just going to get one of those plastic trees.”

Jeongyeon looked at Nayeon in shock. “Its only Christmas if we have a real tree,” she argued, going towards Nayeon and leaning down to give her a kiss.

“Plus, you said I could get whatever I wanted.”

Grunting in reply, Nayeon picked up Sungjae who yawned widely, head burrowing in her neck.

“I didn’t know you’d be such a brat,” chuckled Nayeon, pressing a kiss to the top of her son's head whose fingers tapped out a slow beat on her chest.

Jeongyeon turned towards Nayeon, tongue snuck out as she looked just as childish as she sounded, before stealing Sungjae out of her arms who squealed in delight, clutching to the boy tightly.

“He’s on my side.”

Shrugging, Nayeon  started walking towards the bathroom, hearing Jeongyeon follow her instantly.

“He’s only on your side for the presents.”

“Maybe so,” agreed Jeongyeon as Sungjae nodded at her, a cheeky grin on his face, replying

"And the food too!"  While he yawned again.

Nayeon laughed at her son's remark and decided to .

"Do you not like mommy's cooking bunny?" She said looking at him with a pout.

He looked at Jeongyeon and back at his mom who looked at him expectantly.

"I'm sleepy" he said giggling and hiding his face in Jeongyeon's chest.

"Ya! I've been cooking for you your whole life and you betray me so easily?!" Nayeon went and tickled him while he was in Jeongyeon's arms causing him to squeal, squirm and get down from the blonde's arms running away to his room laughing madly and Nayeon chased him.

Nayeon caught him on the bed and tickled him some more, as Jeongyeon leaned her shoulder against the entrance of the room watching them fondly, a smile on her lips.

"Alright now, time for bed. An exciting day awaits tomorrow"

"We're gonna decorate tree with Yeoni" he answered excitedly as Nayeon tucked him in. Jeongyeon stepped foward to the bed  leaning over to run her hand through the boy's hair.

"That's right, we're gonna have so much fun! A Christmasy filled Day!"

They both gave him a kiss goodnight and waited till he fell asleep to leave the room.

-

They walked out to the living room where Nayeon swapped the pine needles on the floor and Jeongyeon was shrugging on her coat. Nayeon leaned her head against the broomstick and pouted.

"Do you really have to go?"

"The plumber is coming early in the morning, I'll be back in the afternoon though" she walked towards Nayeon wrapping her arms around her.

"It's really too bad, I was going to demand celebratory " Nayeon said leaving open mouthed kisses along Jeongyeon's jaw. 

"Hmm maybe the plumber can wait" she moaned out softly. She then shook her head as if to get our of a trance.

"I'm sorry babe, I've got to go. I've been putting off the plumber for months, I'm sure the pipes in my house are going to burst due to lack of maintenance"

"Fiinee" Nayeon huffed out.

They walked to the door, where they lingered while holding each other. They kissed goodbye while barely letting each other other go. Nayeon stood there after closing the door, hearing Jeongyeon footsteps go down the hall, she sighed happily, feeling intoxicated with the amount of love she felt.

-

Nayeon was woken by small hands pressed to her face, smushing her cheeks, and her son's voice whispering 

"Mommy.."

“Mommy's sleeping bunny,” she muttered in her sleep, holding the blankets tighter in her fist as she heard her son giggle brightly. 

“Did you sleep well?” she asked, reaching out blindly until her hand fell on the boy’s waist, pulling the small body into hers, welcoming the warmth.

She felt him nod against her chest, and say yes.

“Something wrong Bunny?” She asked when his fingers ran restless circles all over her torso, suddenly making her worried as she forced her eyes open.

But the boy in front of her was nothing but cheerful, beaming at his mom as he simply said nothing.

"Let's sleep some more mommy"

Helping her son under the blankets, Nayeon wrapped her arms around Sungjae, feeling peacefully content when the boy seemed to settle easily, drifting to sleep once more.

Nayeon’s own eyes closed at the sight, lulled into slumber by Sungjae’s warmth and gentle breathing.

-

When Nayeon woke up again the spot where Sungjae was sleeping in was now empty. She could hear the t.v playing from the living room and the boy making fake explosion noises as he played with his action figures. She made her way out of bed well rested and stumbled out to the living room while stretching. Just as she had assumed Sungjae was playing with his toys, his hair still messy from just waking up.

"Hey baby, let's go shower and get ready for the day yeah"

"Yaay! Mommy we're going to have so much fun with Yeonie, decorate the tree!"

"Bake cookies!" Nayeon added.

"Watch movies and play all Day!!" He replied hopping with excitement as he held his mom's hand. 

"It'll be a joyous occasion" Nayeon said in a announcer-like voice and she helped him out of his pajamas and into the bath with her.

After the bath and both of them dressing up in white pants and big red fluffy Christmas sweater, Nayeon proceeded to clean and set out ingredients for the cookies on the counter. By the time Jeongyeon came back, the house will be clean and they'll be ready yo bake the cookies.

At least that's what Nayeon expected.

-

After that, the day went by quickly, Nayeon making French toast for Sungjae and herself as they ate in the living, watching the Christmas cartoons that played on a loop. The boy then went about setting up the decorations all over the floor around the tree, unpacking the various boxes Jeongyeon had brought over. He started making neat piles as he categorized all the different ornaments while talking excitedly. The tiny flickering lights were in one corner, the tinsels in another, the bright colorful balls were still in their boxes next to the couch and the star for the top sat on the end table, just waiting to be plugged in.

At 5 o’clock sharp, Sungjae sat next to the tree, short pudgy legs folded under himself with a special box of glass ornaments in hand as he waited for Jeongyeon, eyes glued to the door. The image had Nayeon smiling as she cleaned around the flat, dusting quickly so she could partake in the decorating, feeling excited at the possibility of starting a family tradition.

She had already planned the night out, the hot chocolate and marshmallows ready for when they were done decorating the tree and waited for the cookies to bake, a Christmas themed Mickey Mouse movie already propped into the DVD. All that they were missing to complete this picture perfect holiday moment was Jeongyeon.

However, by 5:30 when there was still no sign of Jeongyeon , Nayeon started to worry, every text message she’d sent her girlfriend remaining unanswered as the snow outside started to fall more intensely. Yet Sungjae’s smile never faltered, his tiny hands running gently the ornaments as he pushed the decorated glasses higher on his nose.

 The boy sat in the same spot without interest in anything else, the box in his lap shaking slightly as the boy swayed from side to side with the Christmas music Nayeon had started in hopes of distracting him.

When the clock struck 6, Nayeon had called Jeongyeon three times, falling on the woman’s voicemail every time. With worry building in her stomach, she tried to pry Sungjae who was still sitting quietly away from the tree but the boy refused to move, his grin faltering slightly as his chocolate brown eyes fell to his lap, bottom lip wobbling.

“How about some food?” she asked, sitting next to him, pushing the boy’s fringe out of his face.

Flinching at the touch, he pulled away, slightly, shaking his head as his tiny hands tightened around the fragile cardboard box in his hands.

"Waiting for Yeoni" he said shakily.

Anger suddenly filling her, she stood rapidly, grabbing her phone as she went, dialing Jeongyeon'snumber in a husk. She fell on the woman’s voice mail again, her girlfriend’s voice on the message making her want to scream as she threw the phone onto her bed.

Unable to stop herself, she paced the length of her room, hands her own hair tightly as she tried to think. Never once has Jeongyeon gone without giving a sign of life for so long, and yet Nayeon's anxiety over Jeongyeon's absence found itself overtaken by her fury.

As she walked back to the living room, Nayeon’s heart dropped through her body, the sight of her little boy with tears in his eyes when the clock ticked by 7 something she never wanted to experience. With her blood boiling, hier mind fogged with anger, she went to kneel next to her son, running a comforting hand down the boy’s back.

“We can decorate the tree tomorrow, Bunny” tried Nayeon, reaching for the box he was clutching to his chest but the boy’s fingers only tightened around it, almost painfully so as he shook his head violently.

“Come on baby ,” she encouraged, running circles down his back.

“Jeongyeon won’t be here tonight.”

At the sound of Jeongyeon's name, the boy left out a piercing sob, his tiny hand crushing the box in his hands, the glass ornaments shattering from the force.

“Yeoniee,” cried Sungjae hand tightly fisted in the broken shards of glass, blood seeping through the stark white cardboard almost immediately.

Nayeon sat there a little broken, the sound of her son’s broken voice ringing in her ears as she watched helplessly as Sungjae whimpered for his "Yeonie" over and over again, the name plastered to every inch of their apartment.

Snapping out of it, Nayeon ripped the box out of Sungjae's hands, turning the boy’s palm up to inspect the damage. Her heart lurched at the sight, glass cutting through the boy’s delicate skin as he kept crying, calling out for Jeongyeon's tears stained his cheeks.

There was nothing Nayeon could even do to comfort her son, lifting him quickly into her arms as she called 911, muttering her address in an utter shocked automatism. She proceeded to call Jihyo right after. 

When they had arrived Jihyo was already at the hospital with Mina, giving her a quick embrace before letting her go off with the doctor and Sungjae. The first thing Nayeon saw when she walked back into Sungjae's hospital room was the little boy sleeping soundly, the medication they had given to him too strong for him to stay awake. Her son’s left hand was bandaged heavily, set into the boy’s lap delicately as not to be disturbed.

There had been over a dozen deep lacerations caused by the glass embedded in his hands but the doctor assured Nayeon there would be no permanent damage. Luckily, the glass hadn’t cut through any nerves, but now Sungjae still had to deal with the consequences. For the next two weeks the boy would have to wear some gauze mitten to prevent the air from touching his cuts, all while the skin closed on its own.

Nayeon was utterly exhausted when she was  finally allowed to leave the hospital around midnight, Jihyo and Mina had stayed with her the whole night and drove her home, for which she was extremely grateful.

 Her eyes barely opened as she clutched Sungjae to his chest in the backseat on Jihyo's car. She wanted nothing more than to take her son home as quickly as she could, put the boy down in his own bed so he could sleep and recuperate and forget the night had ever occurred.

"Nayeon, don't hesitate to call us, for anything" said Jihyo from inside the her car.

"And we mean anything" added Mina, Nayeon nodded expressing her gratitude and promising she would.

She tumbled into the apartment, feet catching on the carpet, Nayeon sighed as she closed the door,  Sungjae still sleeping in her arms. As she turned around, she froze in place, arms stiffening around Sungjae as Jeongyeon stood from the couch, a bloody ornament box in hand.

“What happened?” Jeongyeon asked, her voice sounding so tired and broken and yet all Nayeon could feel was anger, pure and intense rage choking her.

“You happened,” is the only answer Zshe gave Jeongyeon as she rushed past the woman, suddenly feeling as she couldn’t breathe, tears falling down her face uncontrollably.

Nayeon hiccupped around a sob, glad Jeongyeon hadn’t actually followed her as she laid Sungjae down in bed, pressing a kiss to the boy’s forehead. She lingered there for a minute, guilt gripping at as she watched the boy’s bandaged hand. Taking a deep breath, she forced herself to focus, feeling more of that anger bubble in her stomach as she got up, closing the door to Sungjae'sroom behind her.

The blonde was still standing in the middle of the living, remnants of broken glass littered around the floor, little drops of vivid blood splattered across it.

“I can explain,” Jeongyeon said the minute her eyes fell on Nayeon but she just raised both hands up, interrupting Jeongyeon quickly.

“You don’t get to explain.” she replied, voice ice cold as she took a step forth, barely able to control her anger. “I just spent the last few hours in the ER with my son, my baby boy, because of you.”

“I didn’t do anything, I don't know what's going on” Jeongyeon countered rapidly, only fueling the fire that raged inside Nayeon.

“YOU WEREN’T THERE,” screamed Nayeon , closing her eyes as she felt bile rising in her throat, more tears falling down her face as she forced her voice to steady.

“I watched my son wait for you for hours, so ing excited to decorate this stupid tree with you and you know what happened when you didn’t ing show, when you didn’t even bother to call?”

Shaking her head, Jeongyeon swallowed audibly, taking a step towards Nayeon who stepped back immediately.

“He called out your name, cried out your name on repeat as his hands tightened around these stupid ornaments you gave him.”

“I’m sorry,” whispered Jeongyeon, her own brown eyes so usually bright and happy filled with anguish as tears spilled over her reddened cheeks.

“Sorry doesn’t cut it,” Nayeon sobbed, another chocked whimper ripped from her throat as she wiped her face with the back of her hand, huffing in annoyance.

“This is the first time he ing cried for someone. Your name, begged for you and you weren’t there.”

Gulping for air through a pause, Nayeon let her eyes linger on Jeongyeon's face, the woman’s bottom lip a bit bloody as she bit violently at it. And she remembered those lips pressed to hers, the feeling of them ghosting across her skin and yet she felt nothing, just pure and utter hated.

“Truth is you could have done anything to me, used me for or money or a ing apartment and I wouldn’t have cared because I was so desperately in love with you that it didn’t matter, but you do not get to make my son cry. You do not get to promise him you’d be there and not show up. You didn’t even ing call. He waited for hours and you never came,” she sobbed her body giving out as she slid down the wall, clutching her knees to her chest.

“I want you out of here,” Nayeon whispered after a minute, voice rough. “Out of my life.”

“Nayeon please-,” whimpered Jeongyeon but her tone fell flat, no strength in her words.

“No one gets to hurt him Yoo Jeongyeon, do you get that? I can’t let you near him. The number one rule was he comes first.”

“And I broke that,” Jeongyeon stated, nodding to herself, wincing as if the words physically hurt her.

“He cried for you,” repeated Nayeon again, burying herface in her knees, unable to hold the pain in anymore, crying loudly. And it was so heart wrenching that she thought she would break into pieces, her entire body buzzing in pain as she watched Jeongyeon nod again, dropping the box to the floor and walking out the door.

Nothing but the sound of Nayeon's heart shattering like the blood stained glass scattered across the floor could be heard through the silent winter night, the wind howling as Jeongyeon's footseps echoed down the hall; Unlike the beginning of the week she didn't feel intoxicated with love but instead she only felt heartbreak.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Dun dun duuun. Drama is here, can't be all pink, rainbow and roses yeah? One of you guys actually predicted that there was drama approaching, shoutout to you love ♡. As always feedback is appreciated so lemme know what y'all thought.