December 9th

A Wish Upon A Shooting Star

The next morning, Jonghyun didn't get up like usual. He didn't look forward to visiting Jinki. He just felt out of place, like he wasn't supposed to get out of bed today. He was already late. Gwiboon, Minjung and Taemin had all already gone to school, and the house was quiet. 

After another 30 minutes of just lying and contemplating whether to get up or not, Jonghyun finally got up, reminding himself that failing to do so could put his job in danger. 

Within 55 more minutes, he was walking through the now familiar glass doors again. He got in the elevator and went to Jinki's floor, which he had also gotten familiar with by now. He knocked on the door, and waited a few seconds before the door was opened. 

“Jonghyun, hi, you're here.” Jinki said, obviously a little surprised. 

“Yes, I'm here, it's kinda my job to be.” Jonghyun said. He saw Jinki visibly shrink under that statement. 

“I… I would like to apologize for my behavior yesterday. I realize that I was very rude, and that I was completely out of line.” Jinki said, looking down at the floor, avoiding Jonghyun's eyes completely. 

“It's…it's okay. You seemed upset yesterday, however. Would you tell me what is wrong?” Jonghyun asked. 

Jinki nodded, inviting Jonghyun to sit down on the couch in the living room. 

“I was at the doctor yesterday. He said that the illness is progressing quicker than anyone first assumed, and that my health is deteriorating quickly.” Jinki said. “He said that I probably only have a month, maybe two left.” 

Jonghyun didn't know what to say in that moment. Was he supposed to hug Jinki, only minutes after practically saying that he was only here “because of his job”? Was he supposed to try and tell him that everything would be fine, even though it clearly wouldn't be? 

“Wow. I'm really sorry about that.” Jonghyun said, completely sincere in his words. 

“So am I.” Jinki said. The two sat there, in silence, for a long amount of time. It wasn't exactly awkward, since both of them were just trying to comprehend what had been revealed. But it wasn't a pleasant silence either. 

Suddenly, as if his body reacted without his brain knowing, Jonghyun reached out and embraced Jinki. The older tensed up in his arms, but Jonghyun didn't let go. A few seconds went by, and Jinki started relaxing. 

And then he started crying. Jonghyun could feel how Jinki shook, as the sons overtook his body, and how his shirt got slightly moist. But it wasn't as if he minded. 

They just sat like that, for a while. Jonghyun wasn't sure exactly how much time went by. Then suddenly, Jinki gently moved away from Jonghyun's embrace, and quickly dried his eyes. 

“I'm sorry about that. And about your shirt.” Jinki said, continuing to dry his eyes as more tears slowly appeared. Jonghyun shook his head. 

“Don't be sorry. And especially not over a shirt.” He said, trying to lighten the mood a little bit. 

They ended up just sitting there on the couch, for hours. Talking about everything. They talked about how life just didn't seem fair. About the past. About the present. Jonghyun was worried about mentioning the further, since it didn't seem like Jinki would be part of it for a long time. But he didn't have to. 

“What are your dreams?” Jinki asked him suddenly. Jonghyun thought about it for a while. 

“I don't know, to be honest. Right now, I'm doing my best to get by, with the means that I have.” Jonghyun truthfully said. 

And they kept talking afterwards. So much, in fact, that Jonghyun had to buy take-out of the way home. But he didn't mind. If staying for a while could make Jinki feel just slightly better, he's happily stay forever, if possible. 

--------------------------
An: The JongYu is slowly appearing. I can't make it too easy for them. I mean, if I don't torture them a bit, where's the fun? 

Merry December 9th (And happy birthday to the handsome, sweet, and talented Choi Minho)❤️